BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2012-12-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4545824

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

WoodrowCall - 2012-12-23 9:23 AM Ok, well I'm going to jump right in! Anyone know a of a good resource for swimming drills, or can vouch for some, in particular? My training plan calls for a set of drills each swim workout, and last year I just swam. I did sets, basically (5 laps, 10, 15, etc.), but this year's training plan is a lot more structured. So, swimming drills, anyone?

Jamie-good question! This will be my third post in response. I'm at the inlaws and my internet connection dropped and my long responses did not post!

There are tons of good resources online. www.swimsmooth.com, Total Immersion, swim videos/drills on youtube....Jason just went to a swim clinic put on by Sheila Taormina. She put out a book about 6 months ago and it is very good. She is focused mostly on the "pull" part of the stroke. Something I need to improve.

In my opinion the most important first/early step in being a competent/efficient swimmer is esatablishing good balance in the water. Next time you are at the pool take an underwater view of a good swimmer and compare it to someone slower. The good swimmer will be horizontal, or very close to horizontal, in the water. The slower swimmer will likely have their legs and hips lower in the water and be swimming uphill. The lower legs and hips cause drap which slow the person down and as a result much more froce/effort is required to move forward. Total Immersion is very focused on balance and they have many good drills to help with balance. Many triathletes have become more competent and comfortable swimmers utilizing Total Immersion. I did one of their clinics early on and it was helpful. I think balance has to be addressed before some of the more technical aspects of the stroke can be tweaked.

Some one on one instruction or participation in a quality masters program would be the best way to really work on swimming. The sooner the better as over time we establish muscle memory and starting off with good technique and habits is so much easier than trying to fix them down the road.

For me consistency is hugely important. In Fall 2011 I took about 6 weeks off from swimming and boy was I a mess when I got back in the pool. This year I have stuck with swimming and Nov/Dec are 2 of my biggest swim volume months. The added volume plus more intensity in my workouts has resulted in a better feel in the pool and I think some small improvements. There is no quick fix for swimming....it takes time and persistence.

Randy  

Edited by slornow 2012-12-23 11:03 AM

2012-12-23 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4545824

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

WoodrowCall - 2012-12-23 7:23 AM Ok, well I'm going to jump right in! Anyone know a of a good resource for swimming drills, or can vouch for some, in particular? My training plan calls for a set of drills each swim workout, and last year I just swam. I did sets, basically (5 laps, 10, 15, etc.), but this year's training plan is a lot more structured. So, swimming drills, anyone?

Jamie I have not done these yet but I will try to attach a file of the plan I will be using for 2013.  As a former HS & Collegiate swimmer I liked two things in particular.  There are three skill levels to choose from and each is fairly detailed.  Too many of the plans I saw said 'Swim 1000 yards'. 

Having extensive swimming experience these plans and progression made sense to me.  Let me know what you think.
2012-12-23 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
2012-12-23 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I wanted to post a few things here that I took to heart last time around in this group and added it to a Word Document. This is all about consistency and was written by Experior/Michael. This document helped me tremendously in my training last season. I know Michael is busy and probably would have posted it himself at some point ...

Attachments
----------------
Consistency by Experior.doc (40KB - 12 downloads)
2012-12-23 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Here is another one by Experior/Michael on Running ... see attached ....

Attachments
----------------
Running by Experior.doc (28KB - 13 downloads)
2012-12-23 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
and the last one on pacing ... again by Experior/Michael ... I want to thank him again for this material. Its outstanding knowledge ...

Attachments
----------------
Pacing by Experior.doc (39KB - 15 downloads)

2012-12-23 1:37 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Swim Drills I am currently doing.

One arm drills. I swim with one arm out in front. The other arm is going through the Freestyle stroke. It allows me to really concentrate on form in that one arm. Concentrate on early vertical forearm/early catch and really engaging my body for the pull. I drill 25 then swim normal the next 25 trying to really concentrate on maintaining form during the swim 25. Alternate arms every 50. I do sets of 10 of this drill.

Modified one arm drill. Put your hand flat on a kickboard with your head out of the water. Hold your head still (focus on something at the far end of the pool) and do the same as above with the arm not on the kickboard. I find this to be harder than you would think. I will often do 25, leave the kickboard at the far end, swim 50, pick up the kickboard and come back using the other arm. Again, sets of 10 x 50 yards.

Sculling (horizontal) drill. I don't know how to describe this but basically I am horizontal in the water, my upper arm is stationary like it would be right at the "catch" part of the stroke and I move my forearm/hand unit in a sculling fashion to go a length of the pool. I usually only do 2-3 lengths of this. This is supposed to help you get "feel" for the water according to Sheila Taormina.

Catch up drill. The hand in front does not start the pull until the recovery hand is all the way out in front next to it.

There are literally hundreds of swimming drills. These are the four that I am focusing on right now.
2012-12-23 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy & Stuart: Thanks for the tips. I'm just getting back into swim training after taking time off in the off-season, and I'm actually surprised at how I did. I'm ok at swimming for awhile (I pretty much did 1,500m for my last workout, no drills or anything), I just don't go that fast. I think my problem is that I don't rotate much at all; I'm just flat on the water. I want to join a Masters class is there is one offered at the pool I swim at, just have to see if that comes up. 
2012-12-23 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Hey everyone!

I don't want to throw too many subjects out at once but does anyone have any advice for IT band tightness? I initially took some time off and a couple of weeks ago I bought a foam roller which is the best thing I've tried so far but it really tightend up a few hours after my 4 miler today. This is the longest I've run since September and it's really frustrating. I've been only running a couple of times a week and very low mileage even for me(usually is lower than most anyhow due to my extreme slowness and time constraints). I also do accupuncture (not because of the IT band just general health) but nothing is really fixing it completely.

Also, I already feel like my training time is at the limit of what I can do. How does everyone balance life and training? I feel like I could do more if I just was a bit more efficient (or needed less sleep).

I just want to add I'm so glad to be a part of this group!!

Edited by nicoleg 2012-12-23 2:41 PM
2012-12-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4546082

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
nicoleg - 2012-12-23 3:40 PM

Hey everyone!

I don't want to throw too many subjects out at once but does anyone have any advice for IT band tightness? I initially took some time off and a couple of weeks ago I bought a foam roller which is the best thing I've tried so far but it really tightend up a few hours after my 4 miler today. This is the longest I've run since September and it's really frustrating. I've been only running a couple of times a week and very low mileage even for me(usually is lower than most anyhow due to my extreme slowness and time constraints). I also do accupuncture (not because of the IT band just general health) but nothing is really fixing it completely.

Also, I already feel like my training time is at the limit of what I can do. How does everyone balance life and training? I feel like I could do more if I just was a bit more efficient (or needed less sleep).

I dealt with some bad I-T band issues in September. Number one thing that helped me was the foam roller. I really had to roll the heck out of my I-T Band. Do it before a run, do it after a run, do it before you go to sleep, do it when you wake up. Your muscles will be sore from the rolling, but they should be good for running. (Not a doctor, all I can say is that this is what I felt worked for me) .

Another thing my physical therapist told me to do was to make sure when my foot struck pavement, that my knee did not stray to the inside of my foot. Knee should be aligned over the foot, not to the left or the right of it.

Hope this is helpful, and I hope your injury gets better soon. I know it is such a downer to not be able to run due to that injury.

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Oops, triple post... Using an IPAD for these forums is not ideal...

Edited by leechj 2012-12-23 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Oops sorry, double post!

Edited by leechj 2012-12-23 2:58 PM
2012-12-23 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4546091

User image

Calgary, AB

leechj - 2012-12-23 1:56 PM Oops, triple post... Using an IPAD for these forums is not ideal...

A shameless attempt to match the other mentor groups' post count...   I admire the competitive streak!

I've been slacking the last few days -- combination of work, and Christmas gift assembly.  Somebody keep me honest -- gotta run tonight!    All these tips on running and swimming are great, but I'll probably do better at the treadmill than the computer...

2012-12-23 4:03 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
nicoleg - 2012-12-23 3:40 PM

Hey everyone!

Nicole

I agree with the foam roller.

The other thing that I found to be even more helpful is the pigeon stretch. I have no idea how to describe it so here is a link that I hope shows how to do it. After my brief experience with IT band issues I have utilized this stretch more than any other and really think it helps.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pigeon+stretch&hl=en&client=safari&t...

I don't do some of the fancier permutations and certainly don't do it on the beach in my speedo, but most of these images are pretty good for this stretch. I never really stopped running. I just added in the foam roller and the stretching and it seems to have taken care of itself.

To answer your other question; I have said this before and only half kidding. Something has to give. There are only 24 hours in a day. I freely admit that I forego sleep to train. Not ideal but it is my reality. If I get five hours a night I call it good and get up in the morning and train. I also train at night after my kids have gone to bed. I train after work if I get done early or during any breaks I have in my day. I always have two and sometimes three workout bags in my car so that if the opportunity arises I can get in a session. Even if it is a short run. It never gets easy to find the time and every once in awhile I just fall apart and sleep for 12 hours but it can be done....... I decided long ago that if a workout is on the schedule that I am going to get it done. The decision has already been made. I'm going to do it...... Only thing that changes that is that my family comes first. Don't want to screw that up but I have come close a couple times.

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-12-23 4:12 PM
2012-12-23 4:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I feel a little silly having given swimming drills advice with Stuart here . I think he was/is a pretty elite level swimming guy. Randy and I are admittedly a little lacking in the swim department so you are going to be called upon some to help us out in this area.

Stuart, do you have some go-to drills for all of us to use in our swimming?
2012-12-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4546091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

leechj - 2012-12-23 3:56 PM Oops, triple post... Using an IPAD for these forums is not ideal...

Also a shameful humble brag...*ahem* using an iPad everyone! Wink

2012-12-23 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Got my first real Triathlon Bike yesterday ....

2012-12-23 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4546214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Michael, congratulations! That looks like a really sweet ride; I just got my first real tri bike not long ago, haven't even used it in a race yet. Let us know how the first ride goes!

Also, this reminds me that Nate needs to post his bike pron on here, as well!

2012-12-23 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran

Nicole -  My wife had some IT band issues and has had lots of success with the foam roller to stretch it out.  Then, when it was not a problem anymore her PT had her strengthening by doing clam shells (among some other exercises i'm pretty sure). video link here

I personally am just back to running after a fun run-in with chondromalacia in both knees.  My PT has me moving from being a big time heel striker to a fore foot striker.  I have adjusted pretty well so far.  I'm quite a bit slower than i was before due to such a big change.  I have no pain in my knees now, but have developed very tight muscles in the bottom of my foot.  PT says it is normal and will go away with time and stretching.  It seems the forefoot striking causes the muscles in the bottom of the foot to shorten up slightly.  She even mentioned a study where patients experienced a drop in shoe size when changing the stride like this. 

Has anyone else ever dealt with this.  I trust my PT, but the pain in the foot when I'm not running is starting to get annoying.  It goes away after a couple of days.  I guess I just need to stretch it more.

2012-12-23 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4546204

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
WoodrowCall - 2012-12-23 6:10 PM

leechj - 2012-12-23 3:56 PM Oops, triple post... Using an IPAD for these forums is not ideal...

Also a shameful humble brag...*ahem* using an iPad everyone! Wink

So much Nate hate! Don't hate the playa, hate the game!
2012-12-23 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Beautiful bike! You must have been on Santa's nice list.

Nicole, exactly what are you looking for as far as organization and training advice? Timing, house hold chores, family ? There are several great thread on organization. When we get back home I can look for them. Organization and Training is my strong point. Let us know what you need and we can help you out.

JamieS- trigger point therapy lower leg kit. Ask Santa for it. Use it daily! It is expensive but costs less than 2 trips to the massage therapist or PT. Normally from my experience PF issues are calf related. Roll, roll, roll your calves.....I wouldn't wait around for it to take care of itself. Start working on it now.

http://tptherapy.com/shop/all-tppt-products/foot-and-lower-leg-kit....

I think I've added everyone to my friends list. Let me know if you can't access my blog.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-12-23 6:11 PM

2012-12-23 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4546244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Catwoman - 2012-12-23 6:57 PM Beautiful bike! You must have been on Santa's nice list. Nicole, exactly what are you looking for as far as organization and training advice? Timing, house hold chores, family ? There are several great thread on organization. When we get back home I can look for them. Organization and Training is my strong point. Let us know what you need and we can help you out. JamieS- trigger point therapy lower leg kit. Ask Santa for it. Use it daily! It is expensive but costs less than 2 trips to the massage therapist or PT. Normally from my experience PF issues are calf related. Roll, roll, roll your calves.....http://tptherapy.com/shop/all-tppt-products/foot-and-lower-leg-kit.html

To be honest, I don't know if I was looking for advice or just opening a dialog because I  was curious as to how others fit it in. Maybe I was hoping someone would mention an idea I could try. Part of it is I am an 8 hours of sleep kind of person. I have learned from experience that things go badly pretty fast for me if I try to skimp on sleep. I do like the idea of keeping workout gear in the car for when an opportunity arises. That might be worth a try. I actually do get most of my workout that I have scheduled in even if I have to shuffle things around a lot but when I think of possibly trying to add an extra swim, bike or run workout in a week-I just don't know where I could cram it. I also know that if I could fit those extra workouts in I would improve and I really need to improve.

Thanks for the IT band tips. I had been using the roller daily and skipped the 2 days before today (not run days but still). I've also been trying to incorporate some yoga again which I hadn't done since last spring. I'll start trying some of the stretches.

Michael-Congrats on the Tri bike!!

Edited by nicoleg 2012-12-23 6:17 PM
2012-12-23 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Nicole, I'm also a member of Team Red, White and Blue!!

Most of us who train 2X a day and long course go to bed very early during peak training. 8:00-9:00 every night. Otherwise we can't get up at 4-4:30 to start our workouts before work. I also have to have a lot of sleep or things go start to suffer really quickly.
We don't have any kids at home so it is easier to get to bed earlier. We've also had to become a bit creative at our house with scheduling "couple" time around workouts/sleep.

It helps to have a plan that works with your life. My coach does a great job of scheduling around stuff. I hate track workouts on Friday afternoons. You can put them there as much as you want but I'm not going to do them. Over the years, I've also learned what times of year are more prone to illness, injury and stress. We try to work around those times by not scheduling "A" races or key workouts during that time.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-12-23 6:32 PM
2012-12-23 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4546217

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
WoodrowCall - 2012-12-23 6:23 PM

Michael, congratulations! That looks like a really sweet ride; I just got my first real tri bike not long ago, haven't even used it in a race yet. Let us know how the first ride goes!

Also, this reminds me that Nate needs to post his bike pron on here, as well!

Oh, yeah, I forgot to post my new christmas present! (I need to figure out a way to get used to those S-Bend Bar Extensions, they are really uncomfortable on my wrists. Any Tips?)

Behold!

New Bike!

2012-12-23 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Double check this with the bike guru guys but it looks like the height and angle of those bars are too high. IMO you shouldn't really have any pressure on your wrists or arms in aero. Have you been fit with the new (and very nice!) bars?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66