BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2012-12-22 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4544955

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-OPEN!

pvfd304 - 2012-12-22 4:04 AM Name: pvfd304/Brian Age: 41 STORY: Four years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. That lit the fire in my belly to change my lifestyle and try to provide a positive example on how to live a life that includes physical exercise. I began biking and completely changed my diet. Lost 50 pounds. Entered a local 5K for the first time and thought "hey, I think I can do a tri". FAMILY: Married for 18 years, one daughter. CURRENT TRAINING: I picked up a cycling buddy this past year and he has really pushed me to be a better cyclist. Rode about 2200 miles last year. 2011 RACES: Trained for a sprint in Oct 2011. Two miles into the bike portion, I went into a turn too fast and crashed, hard. Minor road rash and a bruised rotator cuff. Arm was in a sling for a week. It is much better now. 2012 RACES: Did a inside tri warm up race and two sprints. Ran a few 5Ks thrown in. 2013 GOALS: working my swimming form, increase my run performance. WEIGHTLOSS: I am 6'4" and currently 230. Goal to lose 15 pounds after Christmas.

Brain I too am a parent of a Type 1 Diabetic, hence the Tour de Cure and Step Out Walk on my 2013 schedule.  My daughter will be training for the 10k in Oct with me.  I am sure it a topic that will resurface from time to time.

2012-12-22 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4544966

User image

Veteran
Central VA
slornow - 2012-12-22 7:23 AM

Brian-saw where you are in "Central Virginia". Whereabout? I grew up in Hampton, VA and still have lots of family in that area. Went to JMU a hundred years ago. Alabama has been home for the last 23 years.

Randy

[/QUOTE

Appomattox Co.

I have raced triathlons in Lynchburg and Richmond so far. See at lot of JMU Dukes at the races. Must have a great tri club there.
2012-12-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4545190

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Stuartap - 2012-12-22 12:53 PM

Brain I too am a parent of a Type 1 Diabetic, hence the Tour de Cure and Step Out Walk on my 2013 schedule.  My daughter will be training for the 10k in Oct with me.  I am sure it a topic that will resurface from time to time.

Hey. I guess you understand how I feel. We all need to teach our kids how to do the right things in life. So much better to lead by example.

Pm sent...
2012-12-22 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
South Alabama

JamieS-welcome to the group. Did you go to high school in Virginia Beach?

Randy

2012-12-22 1:20 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Paul-great to have you on board. Living in Cleveland, TN?  That's just down the road from Chattanooga...a great town with some phenomenal places to run and ride. My son was a 4 year boarding student at McCallie School in Chattanooga so we have spent lots of time in Chattanooga and I love it there. Have raced the Chattanooga Olympic race in July the last 3 years. A really fun, but hot, race.

Randy 

2012-12-22 1:47 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Paul--

You are not our worst nightmare. You are a blank slate waiting to be written on

Do you want one of us to email your wife and clue her in on the triathlon plan?

Most don't know that I suffered a neck injury several years ago that resulted in my left arm having less than 50% of the strength of my right arm. Triathlon training has really helped with my recovery and evening things out. The left will likely never catch up to the right arm but they are a lot closer than when I stared all this.

Welcome to the group.

2012-12-22 2:10 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Room for 1 more?!    So many great groups to choose from but I pick you guys!

Name: MtnBikerChk/MBC/Randee (that's right, another Randee but mine's with 2 ee's!)

Story: Mountain biker turned road cyclist turned runner (and the stress fracture) turned swimmer.  I've been battling this stress facture (officially diagnosed) since August so I've been limited to road riding and swimming.

I would say I was a couch potato until 1995 ish when I started dating a mountain biker....isn't that typical?  "sure, I'll buy a bike and ride with you..."  Well we broke up shortly thereafter and I've been riding ever since.  I'm heavily involved in the CT chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis society and their bikeMS event (in fact for 2013 I'm the Spokesperson for all of CT).  As I kind of hinted at most of my activities have revolved around biking but in the past few years I've branched out a bit.  I turn 40 this year and figured  "why the heck not?" so here I am.  There is a tri series starting in June near me and the bike portion is off road so it's right up my alley  

I'm a CPA by profession so February to April training is really tough but I'm ready to start!

Status: Married 11 years, 2 greyhounds, 2 cats.  My husband is a golfer turned cyclist turned marathoner.  His activity of choice these days is running but he will ride with me if I ask him too.  Of course I have to wait at the top of the hills

2012 races: a few 5ks and the bike portion of a team relay women's tri and the bike portion of a duathlon with my husband.

2013 races: the off road tri series; the bike portion of the 70.3 ironman Lake George in September and hopefully a half marathon if this stress fracture heals.

Weight loss: when I started running I dropped 10lbs and kept most of it off.  I'd say 5 more lbs and I'd be at idea training weight but I'm not overweight by any means.  5'2" and 128ish?

Overall super excited to get started.  In fact, no more typing, I'm off to the Y to swim today.  

2012-12-22 2:35 PM

User image

New user
Name: Mary

Story: Hi, I am a 49 yo female who is getting back into shape after many years of ignoring my health. I have been walking and biking since June of this year. I started reading about triathlons and have finally convinced myself to jump on in and tackle this challenge. I played basketball, tennis, softball and volleyball in my youth and I don't know how I got so far away from a healthy lifestyle but I am going to focus on where I go from here.

Family: I have a wonderful partner of 20 years, we live with one kitty.

Training: I have increased my walking and am just starting to sprinkle in some jogging. Four miles walking is the upper amount I have worked up to. Biking, I worked up to 45 minutes before it got too cold. I joined the Y and have started walking inside. I plan to start using this sites 22 week sprint tri program since I am really just starting out and with no swim experience other than in my youth. If I start the first week of January on that program it will coincide perfectly with a sprint tri June 2nd.

2012: I walked 8 5K events.

2013: Rock and roll half marathon (walk with sister) April
Sprint tri June
Sprint tri August
Century ride October

Weightloss: over the last 2 1/2 years I have lost 100 pounds! I gave up alcohol and have been eating pescetarian which is vegetarian with fish. I am very happy with my eating plan and have been thrilled with the changes in how my body feels since adding the exercise! I still have weight to lose but am far better off than where I came from.

What will make me a good mentee? I am incredibly excited to learn about this sport and see where it can take me! I am very green to all of this and welcome the support, input and learning I know I can get from a mentor group. I have a great deal to learn and am very willing to try new approaches.
2012-12-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4545123

User image

Calgary, AB

wannabefaster - 2012-12-22 9:23 AM Scott--welcome to the group. Does your wife want to join us as well? The more the merrier.

We talked about it -- but sometimes there's such a thing as too much togetherness Laughing      (Cue George Costanza -- "worlds colliding")

She's signed up with another mentor group.   We figured there's value in having different perspectives.  But if those other mentors fall down on the job, you may have a new customer!

2012-12-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4545249

User image

Veteran
slornow - 2012-12-22 11:15 AM

JamieS-welcome to the group. Did you go to high school in Virginia Beach?

Randy

Sure did, First Colonial.  I also went to many concerts at the Hampton Coliseum!

2012-12-22 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4545133

User image

Veteran

Paul,

I don't think of slightly weaker on one side of the body as much of a disability for Triathlon.  During Oceanside 70.3 on the bike leg, I kept trading position with a biker and after the 3rd or 4th pass, i noticed one of his arms was in a cup on the handlebars.  Later, I saw this video of him. Then I realized he only had 1/2 of an arm.  I'm pretty sure he beat me on the bike. Probably the run as well. 

I show this video to my students every year and remind them that they don't get to make excuses, they just need to try harder.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUuMCX0zmpg

Edited by JamieS 2012-12-22 4:12 PM

2012-12-22 4:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary/Randee-glad to have you!

That gives us 14 members currently. We will likely still have 2-3 more from the old group so maybe a couple more new faces and then we will close. Typically, a group will lose a few members over time and with us having several returning members it will be good to have a larger group.

JamieS-when did you graduate from First Colonial. I went to Hampton High School and knew several guys over there from the tennis team. I graduated HS in 1980 so probably before your time.

I'll post a list of everyone in the group so far later.

Randy  

Edited by slornow 2012-12-22 4:43 PM
2012-12-22 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4545358

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
JamieS - 2012-12-22 5:11 PM

I show this video to my students every year and remind them that they don't get to make excuses, they just need to try harder.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUuMCX0zmpg

Yeah, no kidding!! Thanks for sharing!

2012-12-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4545184

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stuartap - 2012-12-22 12:47 PM
leechj - 2012-12-21 10:31 PM

Surprisingly, I've learned that running is way more fun when done correctly ...

If there is one thing that would benefit me more than any other it would be to be able to say what Nate said here.  If I could learn how to run correctly and have it become fun would be huge for me.

I am willing to listen and learn if you guys can teach this old dog some new tricks.

Running is the one thing I claim to understand. As I said in my bio, I'm going to be unreliable at first, but I'd love to talk about it with you guys when I have a chance to do more than just try to keep up with this fast-moving group.
2012-12-22 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Hey guys .... I am back for more ... if you have me ... :-)

NAME: d3term1ned/Michael

NICKNAME: determined german

STORY: I was always very active as a kid. Growing up in Germany my number one sport was soccer. I played soccer for over 16 years and was always in good shape. I had soccer practice three times a week in addition to a game, I swam twice a week and practiced Karate twice a week. I started smoking when I was 16 years old (picked that one up from my parents) and joined the German Army for my mandatory time. I would have stayed in the German Army and probably would still be in it if I would not have met my wife.
I moved to the US and made bad choices in regards to food and exercise. I ate bad food and did not exercise at all. I was never able to find a soccer team that was organized and gave up after a while. In 2007 I moved from Chicago to Dallas and in 2009 I decided to continue my martial arts journey. With exercise came more eating and instead of losing weight I gained more.
Fast forward to January of 2011. I competed in a Taekwondo tournament and got whooped by everyone because they were faster, leaner and in shape. At 5.11” and 250 lbs I was the heaviest I had ever been. That day was the day that I decided to turn my life around for me and for my family.
I started running on the treadmill 5 days a week at 4am in the morning before going to work and continued my taekwondo training and lost 50 lbs. I always wanted to finish a triathlon and decided to train for one … needless to say I got hooked … hooked and hooked …

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 13 years and have two children. My oldest is 7 and the youngest is 4 (both girls). My wife was an avid runner but stopped running after our first daughter was born. I have been trying to get her back into running but starting something and making it a habit is hard.

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to play racquetball twice a week for 90 mins each. I am a second degree black belt and teach Taekwondo a few days a week. I am trying to squeeze a balanced 3 run, 3 bike, 3 swim training plan into my schedule which works out for me.

PAST YEAR'S RACES:

In 2011 I completed a few races.

3 x 5K’s
2 x 10K’s
3 x Mudruns 5K’s and 10K’s (like Warriordash, Merrell Down & Dirty)
2 x Sprint Triathlons

All races were PR’s ….

2012 was my first full triathlon season.

1 x 5K’s
2 x 10K’s
6 x Sprint Triathlons
2 x Olympic Triathlons
Dallas Half Marathon
Cowtown Marathon
Tough Mudder
Warriordash

2013 RACES:

2013 starts my second of many triathlon seasons. My A race this year will be the Ironman 70.3 in Austin. I am already signed up for a whole bunch of Sprint, Olympic and other distance triathlons. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 50 lbs and I am still hovering at 200 lbs. For some reason there is something in my head that tells me to eat more once I hit 199lbs … I love food. I am currently trying a more plant based approach which in no way means I am vegetarian. I love meat way too much.

I hope this will give you some insight in my life.

Edited by d3term1ned 2012-12-22 6:48 PM
2012-12-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4545184

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Stuartap - 2012-12-22 12:47 PM
leechj - 2012-12-21 10:31 PM

Surprisingly, I've learned that running is way more fun when done correctly ...

If there is one thing that would benefit me more than any other it would be to be able to say what Nate said here.  If I could learn how to run correctly and have it become fun would be huge for me.

I am willing to listen and learn if you guys can teach this old dog some new tricks.

For me, there are two main things which helped me love running.

1) Aerobic Heart Rate workouts

I used to only run as hard as I could for as long as I could (which wasn't long because I was running so hard). I would end my runs coughing and huffing and puffing. Basically it made running a miserable experience. I learned about the lower Heart Rate workouts from Jamie. After talking a bit with him, I decided to look into it further online. Basically, you force yourself to slooooow doooown when running to get your body used to burning fat for fuel. Basically, you wear a Heart Rate Monitor and start running. If your heart starts going over your "aerobic" heart rate limit, you slow down until you get it back under control. Here is the link that I used to learn more about it and determine my aerobic heart rate. 

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

Personally, slowing down that much gave me time to think about stuff and enjoy the scenery while running instead of trying to ignore my burning lungs and aching legs. Although I started out really sluggish, after several months of this sort of training, I got much faster! I'm almost back to being as fast as I was in college! Since it doesn't kill me to run this way, I can do it more often, and now I'm looking forward to my runs instead of dreading them so it's easier to motivate myself to get out there and run!

2) Shortening my stride to help me land midfoot instead of heel strike.

I had always been somewhat of a heel striker in college and had a really awkward gait when I ran. Like I said earlier, I really think the way I ran screwed up my back. There was just too much pain when I ran. 

Now, I concentrate on a short stride with a midfoot strike. I haven't had ANY back pain while running in this manner. So right away I can say running is more fun now than it was then because it doesn't hurt.

Hope this is helpful! I'm sure I could get into really long conversations about this topic so feel free to ask anything else on it!

-Nate

2012-12-22 10:21 PM

User image

Master

Randy/Jason,

If you guys are still open, I would like to throw my hat in the ring.  Bio to follow if I'm in.....

AV842 (Bennet)

2012-12-22 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
If you have the room, I'd like to join your group.Name: DaveStory: I'm 51 years old and I'm an avid rock climber. Due to scheduling issues, I couldn't go on my annual spring trad climb and a friend of mine invited me to run a 10k. I ran track and played football in HS and college (100m, 200m, relays, pole vault, and discs) but anything over 400m was long distance. I trained for the race and did better than I would have ever thought. This same friend then invited me to a sprint Tri and I got spanked. Never one to take a beating lightly, I started training and running more with the idea to create an endurance base to really give this Tri thing a go in 2013.Family: I've been married to my high school sweet heart for 31 years. I have a son who's a sophomore in college and a 12 year old son in junior high.Training: I hit 200 pounds two years ago and realized that not only was this affecting my climbing but would eventually affect my health. I started watching what actually went into my mouth and have been doing P90x almost continuously. I'm down to 175-8 ( I seem to fluctuate around this). I'm doing a combination of running, swimming, and biking, nothing too strenuous until Feb when I begin one of the BT training modules for an Olympic Tri in July.2012 Races: 10k in May, sprint Tri in June, biathlon in July, 5k in August, half marathon in sept, 8k in oct2013: series of indoor sprint Tri's in jan, feb, march, and April, a half marathon in June, and my scheduled Olympic Tri in July. If I can get through that healthy, I'm considering a full marathon in sept.Weight loss: As mentioned above I have lost around 25 pounds. I'm currently researching how to determine my ideal body weight and composition but I think it may be around 165-170.What will make me a good "mentee": I like challenges and take my training seriously. My wife calls me an obsessive learner because I research everything that I take interest in. I've participated in team and individual sports and I know the value of self motivation and well as external accountability. I enjoy when others succeed in their efforts and take value in encouraging them to do so.
2012-12-23 5:41 AM

User image

Master
Name: Catwoman/Rene.
Story: 49 year old female. Started off as a roadie and things eventually progressed into running and triathlons. Began swimming in 2007. Swimming is still a huge work in progress as are the other sports. Married for 26 years. 2 kids in college and 2 dogs at home.
Training: depending on season anywhere from 8-23 hours a week. I love early morning workouts. Favorite distance to train and race is long course. 2012 Races: sprints, Oly, Half Ironmans (BSLT, Redman), IMFL
2013: will be the year of the Half Ironman due to IMAZ selling out online so quickly this year. We have a full HIM season planned: Galveston, Eagleman, BSLT, Boulder. How the races go will determine if Austin or Vegas is the last half of the season. Winter will have a few running races and half marathons thrown in. Why I would be a good member of the group? This will be the 3rd or 4th season with this group. The group leaders and members have helped me in so many ways over the years. Triathlon is such a great sport because there is always something to learn or work towards. I could write a book on what not to do or weird things that can go wrong in a race. Hopefully I can share some of my experience so others don't have to make the same mistakes. Weight loss: I've already put back on 5 pounds since Florida. Which needs to come back off. I need to focus on food quality, fueling and body composition this year. *sorry for format - on iPhone out of town for the holidays. My training blog is private but I will add new members when I get back to a real computer.
2012-12-23 5:51 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-good advice on the running. Many times people run too fast in their everyday "easy" runs......a recipe for injury. Keep the easy runs easy!

Michael/d3, Bennet-welcome back.

Dave-glad to have you with us.

As of now we have 17. I think we will go ahead and close the group. However, if anyone knows someone that would like to join either now or at some later point encourage them to do so. There are no hard and fast rules about numbers. The important thing is for everyone to have a good experience. We seem to have a good variety of experience level. Those of you that are somewhat new to the sport should not hesitate to ask a question. We are here to help and learn from each other. Above all lets keep the discussion civil. That has never been a problem in any groups I've been involved with but just something to keep in mind.

The group: (let me know if I get something wrong):

Slornow/Randy

Wannabefaster/Jason

Hoos/Scott

Experior/Michael

Catwoman/Rene

leechj/Nate

Stuartap/Stuart

nicoleg/Nicole

pvfd304/Brian

Woodrowcall/Jamie

JamieS/Jamie

Chunga/Mary

MtnBkrchk/Randee

Saint100/Paul

dacuna01/Dave

AV842/Bennet

d3term1ned/Michael

jimmyb/Jim

Edited by slornow 2012-12-23 7:13 AM
2012-12-23 6:02 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Couple of other things. I would encourage you to log your training here on BT. Certainly not required but it does make it easier to answer training related questions if we can see what you have been doing. Also, add the members of the group as your "friends". To do this go to the Training Log. Scroll down a bit and to the left is a friends section. Click the + sign and you can update your friends list.

I like to check in  on people's training and see what workouts they are doing. Great place to get ideas about new workouts.

Randy 

2012-12-23 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
May I remain part of the group as well?  Sorry for the late request.  Jim
2012-12-23 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4545700

User image

Master
South Alabama

jimmyb - 2012-12-23 7:07 AM May I remain part of the group as well?  Sorry for the late request.  Jim

Jim-absolutely! Was hoping you would be willing to put up with us again.

Randy

2012-12-23 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Ok, well I'm going to jump right in! Anyone know a of a good resource for swimming drills, or can vouch for some, in particular? My training plan calls for a set of drills each swim workout, and last year I just swam. I did sets, basically (5 laps, 10, 15, etc.), but this year's training plan is a lot more structured. So, swimming drills, anyone?
2012-12-23 10:16 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
So running and getting better at running......

Well there is no substitute for a lot of consistent running. It doesn't have to be hard running, just consistent running. There is a program that lots of people use called the BarryP running program or also known as the 3/2/1 running program. 3 short runs/ week (example 2 miles), 2 medium runs/week (4 miles) and one long run/week (6 miles)--notice the medium is twice as long as the short, the long is 3x as long as the short. All done at a comfortable pace--so you can talk with someone who is running with you. Increase mileage by 10%/week and don't add any/much speedwork until you have built up to "significant" (30 miles/week?). The full program, and there is a lot to read, can be found over on Slowtwitch.

As far as running form goes. I read a one paragraph blurb on running years ago and it has served me well. Lean forward slightly from your ankles. Tuck your butt in (don't let it stick out behind you/keep your body in a straight line). Shoulders back, head up. Fall forward, again leaning forward from your ankles and then swing a leg froward and "catch yourself" landing with your foot under your center of gravity. Repeat over and over for miles. Try to keep a light quick cadence. I try to be very quiet when I run--I don't slam my feet into the ground, I just let them skim over the ground, landing on my midfoot and trying to keep them moving so my foot is only on the ground for a very short time... tap, tap, tap, tap. quick, quick, quick, quick light steps. This is somewhat like what you would get from a Chi running book, just very condensed.

I would be happy to expand more on running as much as I can if there are specific questions. I can't emphasize enough how much consistency helps. The BarryP plan gets you running six days/week which goes a very long way towards that consistency.

I'll post some swim drills that I am using later today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66