BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-12-29 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4553306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
I did not know that!  I'll check that out. 

2012-12-29 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4553309

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2012-12-29 7:31 PM

Green Bay is still in. You can cross over if you like.  I hear the Bears fans are tomorrow.  Hear we Green Bay fans chant, Join us, join us...

The Steelers have probably the most well traveled fan base, but the Packers aren't too far behind.  Don't know if I can climb on that bandwagon though since they were our most recent SB loss!  Cool

2012-12-30 2:20 AM
in reply to: #4553172

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

diane.b - 2012-12-29 9:34 PM Hello there I would love to join your group if you are still accepting? I completed two triathlons this year, a sprint and an olympic distance and am hoping to complete a HIM in 2013. I will complete my bio if i hear from you. Thankyou Diane x

HI Diane

It would be great to have another person from the uk in the group.

Jennifer

2012-12-30 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
I would like to join KenJ's mentor group. My fourth season with IMLP as my A race.  Bio to follow.
2012-12-30 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4553636

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

kweezen - 2012-12-30 8:38 AM I would like to join KenJ's mentor group. My fourth season with IMLP as my A race.  Bio to follow.

Great to have you with us Kurt!  Kurt was in my first mentor group several years ago!  Great first group as they were all very motivated and many of them, including Kurt, successfully completed thier first IM's in the year or 2 after!

2012-12-30 9:39 AM

New user

Hello!  My name is Denise and I am looking forward to being a part of your mentor group!  I last did a tri in 2000.....a back injury put me out of commission for quite a while and I was no longer able to run.  Over the last 12 years I have been active, working out at the gym, swimming, biking, hiking, etc...  Up to the June, 2012...not so good since then and I am ready to get back to it!  Because I can't run, I am interested in doing aqua bike events or just the swim/bike portions of a tri.

To motivate myself I registered for a half iron aquabike in June.  I think I can get enough training in to keep myself injury free and to finish the race!  Wonder if I should have started with an Olympic distance first and do a half iron later in the year...I guess a saner person would have!

Thanks in advance for your support and guidance!

Denise

2012-12-30 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4553054

User image

Veteran
Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I played a little with one of the BT plans as I prepared for the Half and it worked well. I think my basic hope is that I could find the weekly must haves so that as times comes up, I can meet the goal for the week.

For example, this week has been crazy, I usually try to fit a 6 mile run on Sunday after church when my little one takes a nap, but I had some extra time on day during the week and went ahead and ran the 6 miles. That frees up today for family time.

Preparing for the run is going to be key for me. Keep in mind that my hope is to participate and finish in the alloted time. The swim does not scare me, I can go to the pool any day and swim 45 minutes non stop and not be dead. The B2B is with the current and times are very fast. The bike will be my strenght but like my half, i plan on taking my time and finding a comfortable pace. ( I did buy a power tap wheel to focus my training much more this year) So if I can finish the bike and run in less than 8 hours, I just have to focus on surviving the run.

I am pretty excited as i looked at my training log and I have ran just short of 500 miles this year. That is a huge mile stone for someone like me who hated running a year ago.
2012-12-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4553705

User image

Master
Sin City

ramiedd - 2012-12-30 7:40 AM Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I played a little with one of the BT plans as I prepared for the Half and it worked well. I think my basic hope is that I could find the weekly must haves so that as times comes up, I can meet the goal for the week. For example, this week has been crazy, I usually try to fit a 6 mile run on Sunday after church when my little one takes a nap, but I had some extra time on day during the week and went ahead and ran the 6 miles. That frees up today for family time. Preparing for the run is going to be key for me. Keep in mind that my hope is to participate and finish in the alloted time. The swim does not scare me, I can go to the pool any day and swim 45 minutes non stop and not be dead. The B2B is with the current and times are very fast. The bike will be my strenght but like my half, i plan on taking my time and finding a comfortable pace. ( I did buy a power tap wheel to focus my training much more this year) So if I can finish the bike and run in less than 8 hours, I just have to focus on surviving the run. I am pretty excited as i looked at my training log and I have ran just short of 500 miles this year. That is a huge mile stone for someone like me who hated running a year ago.

Congrats on hitting close to 500!  I can give you some advice, but not much when it comes to HIM/IM distances (just stuff that I've read that "makes sense").

What would be your issues with the run?

2012-12-30 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4553815

User image

Veteran
probably understanding what I need to do in order to increase my ability to run the distance and how to build up to it. I am very conscious about getting injured during training. My IM will be in October. I planned on treating the first four months or so as build up to a comfortable 1.5 to 2 hour run or somewhere in the ten to twelve mile range. Doing this by increasing weekly mileage by about 5%. with recovery weeks every fourth week.

Always open to advise....
2012-12-30 1:07 PM

User image

Hi, my name is Michelle and I would like to join the group!

NAME: Michelle Turner

STORY: I am 39 and just have never really been athletic. Any health decisions including finding my way into a gym were purely for vanity reasons and when it didn't happen fast enough I would just quit. I do have a weight struggle and for the second time I have lost a significant amount of weight this time being over 50 lbs.  But this time I am keeping it off. I started running 3 years ago to enter into a popular 10k race that most people do to just say they did it.  And for me thats what it was too, but I actually started to like running and the strength that it gave me. I'm not sure when it happened but I then became race addicted. I enjoy the feeling of the start line and then the finish line and everything in between. I'm not the fastest runner but I have a really good time doing it. I like to do things beyond just what I am capable of doing so enter in my desire to do triathlons.  I have not done one yet so I am focused on making this my year. I signed up in a group last year and was prepared to to do my first sprint before the year was out but I could not get passed the swimming. I didn't want to take the chance in open water even through I do have a little comfort in the water. So now I am focused on completing my first super sprint in April and plan to sign up for Augusta HIM in September. A full is on deck for 2014.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m single with no kids but I just recently got into a serious relationship with a guy who is excited about going on this triathlon journey with me. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a lazy trainer which I am planning on changing because I see how my lack of training has held me back from progressing. I also am focused on not only training for a specific sport but strength training that is crossfit and calisthenics focused. I am part of a run group which provides me with my run training and hopefully will be able to join a tri group and I may consider one on one coaching. My training has been run focused as I am doing the goofy challenge and then have 2 half marathons and a marathon in March. I am currently working on swimming after taking a lesson to get me started and haven't been on a bike since probably September.

2012 RACES: No tris but I ran my first marathon, 3 halfs, 10k and 5ks and a 10 miler. 

2013 RACES: Super sprint in April, Irongirl sprint in May, an Olympic during the summer as a training for Augusta HIM. I would like to do the Beach2Battleship Half but I'm going to wait until I complete at least 1 tri before I sign up that. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I put on some extra weight over the last month or two so I plan to get it off. I have no specific number as I like to see how my body looks and feels to determine what is a good weight for me. I am big on paleo and really focus my nutrition to be an effective endurance athlete and weight control. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a sponge. I soak it all up and then you can squeeze me out so I can share it with others.  I believe not in competition, but in collaboration.

2012-12-30 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4553898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

ramiedd - 2012-12-30 1:41 PM probably understanding what I need to do in order to increase my ability to run the distance and how to build up to it. I am very conscious about getting injured during training. My IM will be in October. I planned on treating the first four months or so as build up to a comfortable 1.5 to 2 hour run or somewhere in the ten to twelve mile range. Doing this by increasing weekly mileage by about 5%. with recovery weeks every fourth week. Always open to advise....

Hi Eddie,

If you want to build mileage without injury, I would start by adding frequency before distance, to balance the training load.  At 2-3 runs per week, I'd be afraid to add too much distance.  I know that it's easier said than done, but the nice thing about running is it's simplicity when fitting it in.  You don't need a pool or perfect weather, just some shoes and some time.  You have 4 months before starting a IM plan, so you might want to look at the Barry P method (I found it here at BT, but it makes sense and I'm sure its been around for a while).  It is a 3-2-1 plan with 6 runs per week, 3 short, 2 medium, one long.  So for now, if you wanted to follow it, you would build to 3 x 2 mile runs, 2 x 4 miles, and 1 x 6 miles.  Each week, add your 5% across the board with the 4th week as a recovery with lighter distance (but keep the frequency up).  Keep the intensity level down on almost all of the runs.  Personally, I do my running by time and heart rate, but the same principles apply.

Happy Training!

2012-12-30 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4553703

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Denisembk - 2012-12-30 10:39 AM

Hello!  My name is Denise and I am looking forward to being a part of your mentor group!  I last did a tri in 2000.....a back injury put me out of commission for quite a while and I was no longer able to run.  Over the last 12 years I have been active, working out at the gym, swimming, biking, hiking, etc...  Up to the June, 2012...not so good since then and I am ready to get back to it!  Because I can't run, I am interested in doing aqua bike events or just the swim/bike portions of a tri.

To motivate myself I registered for a half iron aquabike in June.  I think I can get enough training in to keep myself injury free and to finish the race!  Wonder if I should have started with an Olympic distance first and do a half iron later in the year...I guess a saner person would have!

Thanks in advance for your support and guidance!

Denise

Great to have you with us Denise! 

2012-12-30 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4553705

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2012-12-30 10:40 AM Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I played a little with one of the BT plans as I prepared for the Half and it worked well. I think my basic hope is that I could find the weekly must haves so that as times comes up, I can meet the goal for the week. For example, this week has been crazy, I usually try to fit a 6 mile run on Sunday after church when my little one takes a nap, but I had some extra time on day during the week and went ahead and ran the 6 miles. That frees up today for family time. Preparing for the run is going to be key for me. Keep in mind that my hope is to participate and finish in the alloted time. The swim does not scare me, I can go to the pool any day and swim 45 minutes non stop and not be dead. The B2B is with the current and times are very fast. The bike will be my strenght but like my half, i plan on taking my time and finding a comfortable pace. ( I did buy a power tap wheel to focus my training much more this year) So if I can finish the bike and run in less than 8 hours, I just have to focus on surviving the run. I am pretty excited as i looked at my training log and I have ran just short of 500 miles this year. That is a huge mile stone for someone like me who hated running a year ago.

This is a good topic to start the conversations off with.  The key to running is slow build using frequency to build with.  You are certainly off to a good start though!

There are quite a few of us in here that use power to train with on the bike so we can certainly discuss that as well!

Crazy day here and I have a lot more on running we can discuss, but I will post that later!

Edited by kenj 2012-12-30 1:33 PM
2012-12-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4553925

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Mission2be - 2012-12-30 2:07 PM

Hi, my name is Michelle and I would like to join the group!

NAME: Michelle Turner

STORY: I am 39 and just have never really been athletic. Any health decisions including finding my way into a gym were purely for vanity reasons and when it didn't happen fast enough I would just quit. I do have a weight struggle and for the second time I have lost a significant amount of weight this time being over 50 lbs.  But this time I am keeping it off. I started running 3 years ago to enter into a popular 10k race that most people do to just say they did it.  And for me thats what it was too, but I actually started to like running and the strength that it gave me. I'm not sure when it happened but I then became race addicted. I enjoy the feeling of the start line and then the finish line and everything in between. I'm not the fastest runner but I have a really good time doing it. I like to do things beyond just what I am capable of doing so enter in my desire to do triathlons.  I have not done one yet so I am focused on making this my year. I signed up in a group last year and was prepared to to do my first sprint before the year was out but I could not get passed the swimming. I didn't want to take the chance in open water even through I do have a little comfort in the water. So now I am focused on completing my first super sprint in April and plan to sign up for Augusta HIM in September. A full is on deck for 2014.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m single with no kids but I just recently got into a serious relationship with a guy who is excited about going on this triathlon journey with me. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a lazy trainer which I am planning on changing because I see how my lack of training has held me back from progressing. I also am focused on not only training for a specific sport but strength training that is crossfit and calisthenics focused. I am part of a run group which provides me with my run training and hopefully will be able to join a tri group and I may consider one on one coaching. My training has been run focused as I am doing the goofy challenge and then have 2 half marathons and a marathon in March. I am currently working on swimming after taking a lesson to get me started and haven't been on a bike since probably September.

2012 RACES: No tris but I ran my first marathon, 3 halfs, 10k and 5ks and a 10 miler. 

2013 RACES: Super sprint in April, Irongirl sprint in May, an Olympic during the summer as a training for Augusta HIM. I would like to do the Beach2Battleship Half but I'm going to wait until I complete at least 1 tri before I sign up that. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I put on some extra weight over the last month or two so I plan to get it off. I have no specific number as I like to see how my body looks and feels to determine what is a good weight for me. I am big on paleo and really focus my nutrition to be an effective endurance athlete and weight control. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a sponge. I soak it all up and then you can squeeze me out so I can share it with others.  I believe not in competition, but in collaboration.

Welcome to our group Michelle!  Glad to hear you have met someone that shares your triathlon interests! 

The Goofy is a great race!  I think you will enjoy that! (as much as anyone can enjoy a HM and a marathon on consecutive days!)

Edited by kenj 2012-12-30 1:36 PM
2012-12-30 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4553094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Jambago - 2012-12-29 3:00 PM I'm 47 and into my third season - but am still new to triathlon. As a kid or as an adult. I was never really athletic, but always wanted to be, so at age 45 I decided to check off bucket list items and started with doing a triathlon. I followed a canned program and got myself through my first and second sprint during my 1st season and thought "wow" I can really do this - now what? An idea started in the back of my head about uping the distance each year and to hopefully tackle an IM for my 50th. last year (2nd season) I completed two olys and sprints, along with a century ride and since my last oly in Sept, I've been training for my first marathon slotted in about two weeks at Disney (might as well be happy too!). I'm still working out my race schedule for this coming season and plan on uping the distance to a HIM (but havent decided which one yet), with an oly and sprint thrown in. Having done a century ride last year, a marthon hopefully being completed soon, and a 3 mile charity swim in the coming Fall I will at least know I can tackle the IM distances (just have to string them all together). My goals have always been on completion (not competition) and setting PRs. I do enjoy a bit of brotherly rivalry from time to time, but have had my fair share of set backs (injuries) due to overtraining and am pretty much just looking to keep my self in as good of shape as possible! This is my second season in a group and I enjoy the feedback and insight from everyone. I'm happily married with a supportive wife who appreciates my goals and challenges. I'm not the best at posting my training blog, but with some help and motovation from you folks and being called out on it, I'll make a concerted effort to keep on top of it. 2013 here we come!

Hey,

I'm in your neck of the woods.  If I might suggest a HIM race for 2013, the Toughman is in your back yard and its a fine race. Also, it's late season for NY, so you have plenty of time to train :-).   Maybe I'll see you at a race this year.  I do a bunch of shorter distances put on by nytc.org.  My tentative schedule is in my training log.  Also, when summer gets close, I try to get some swims in at White Pond in Carmel, if you are ever looking for an open-water buddy.

2012-12-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4553947

User image

Peekskill, NY
Hey everyone...On the subject of running, Any thoughts or bouts of motivation wold be helpful here...

As I mentioned before, I've competed sprints and olys, along with 5k and 10k, and since my last Oly in September I picked up on my marathon trainng plan at just the right point so I could compete my first marathon distance on January 13th. I've never completed a HM race because each time I trained for it, I ended up injuring my right soleus right before the race and it knocked me out. Last attempt was April last year.

Ok fast forward to now, my soleus has held up and I've been following a modified Jeff Galloway trainng program, basically running a mile and walking for about 1-2 mins for all of my long slow distance (LSD) runs. I kicked in to this training mode while deployed with my military unt and fortunately had constant structure for the training. My longest run while away was 20 miles. I came back home 11/9 to no power from hurricaine Sandy and many family emergencies which had robbed me of my consistency, but I continued at least 3 runs per week with my most recent LSD run of 23 miles after Thanksgiving holiday (3:55). My next (and last) LSD of 26 miles was supposed to be on 12/22, but I ended up with the flu and am just getting over it now. While sick, I couldn't even look at my running shoes with out feeling like I'd fall over, and of course an artic front just came in.... I can't begin to say how depressing this feels right now, so.... My hope is to do a short 10k tomorrow and pray the last 2 weeks haven't robbed me of the last 3 1/2 months of training. Theoretically I'd begin a taper next week, but I'm not 100% sure of what to push between now and the race.

Any thoughts, words of wisdoms, or laughs?

Thanks, John

2012-12-30 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4553984

User image

Peekskill, NY
I saw that you were local and was thinking the same thing. I've have been eyeing the Toughman since last year and was considering it as my first HIM. Nice bit is its literally down the road from me. We'll talk...
2012-12-30 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4554064

User image

Hi John, congrats on getting ready to run your first marathon! Its very exciting and you will do great. I would first suggest if you trained using a modified galloway plan you should plan to use that for the race. You don't want to change up now. Having run a long run of 23 miles has put you in an excellent position to complete the full. They say the last 6 miles is more mental than physical.  You have the endurance based on your training. You just have to believe that. Also it will hurt. Everyone told me that and because I expected it, when it happened I was able to face it head on. So prepare for that and make a plan how you will deal with it when it happens. You are in taper and since you have been sick I would just keep your runs really light and easy between 3-6 miles.  Running a marathon on rested legs will make all the difference. And no matter what have fun with it. Its your first so you will set a PR. Its a huge accomplishment that should be proud of just for doing it. Good luck!
2012-12-30 5:18 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Jambago - 2012-12-30 4:07 PM Hey everyone...On the subject of running, Any thoughts or bouts of motivation wold be helpful here... As I mentioned before, I've competed sprints and olys, along with 5k and 10k, and since my last Oly in September I picked up on my marathon trainng plan at just the right point so I could compete my first marathon distance on January 13th. I've never completed a HM race because each time I trained for it, I ended up injuring my right soleus right before the race and it knocked me out. Last attempt was April last year. Ok fast forward to now, my soleus has held up and I've been following a modified Jeff Galloway trainng program, basically running a mile and walking for about 1-2 mins for all of my long slow distance (LSD) runs. I kicked in to this training mode while deployed with my military unt and fortunately had constant structure for the training. My longest run while away was 20 miles. I came back home 11/9 to no power from hurricaine Sandy and many family emergencies which had robbed me of my consistency, but I continued at least 3 runs per week with my most recent LSD run of 23 miles after Thanksgiving holiday (3:55). My next (and last) LSD of 26 miles was supposed to be on 12/22, but I ended up with the flu and am just getting over it now. While sick, I couldn't even look at my running shoes with out feeling like I'd fall over, and of course an artic front just came in.... I can't begin to say how depressing this feels right now, so.... My hope is to do a short 10k tomorrow and pray the last 2 weeks haven't robbed me of the last 3 1/2 months of training. Theoretically I'd begin a taper next week, but I'm not 100% sure of what to push between now and the race. Any thoughts, words of wisdoms, or laughs? Thanks, John

I think you will be fine, my bigger concern would be the lingering effects of the flu but if you survive ok tomorrow I would just pick up the plan where you are. 

Training for the Goofy in 2010 I aggravated a hamstring early December.  Missed a bunch of runs and many that I did do were short and slow.  By early January I was on the mend and back on plan.  Hit my goal for the HM, which was planned slower than a stand alone, and missed my marathon goal by less than 2 minutes.  It wasn't adjusted from an earlier goal due to the injury, so I don't feel as the missed training hurt me.  The 2 minutes (probably more) were not due to pace, but poorly timed porto potty stops. Damn race starts too early! Embarassed

2012-12-30 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4553941

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2012-12-30 2:29 PM

ramiedd - 2012-12-30 1:41 PM probably understanding what I need to do in order to increase my ability to run the distance and how to build up to it. I am very conscious about getting injured during training. My IM will be in October. I planned on treating the first four months or so as build up to a comfortable 1.5 to 2 hour run or somewhere in the ten to twelve mile range. Doing this by increasing weekly mileage by about 5%. with recovery weeks every fourth week. Always open to advise....

Hi Eddie,

If you want to build mileage without injury, I would start by adding frequency before distance, to balance the training load.  At 2-3 runs per week, I'd be afraid to add too much distance.  I know that it's easier said than done, but the nice thing about running is it's simplicity when fitting it in.  You don't need a pool or perfect weather, just some shoes and some time.  You have 4 months before starting a IM plan, so you might want to look at the Barry P method (I found it here at BT, but it makes sense and I'm sure its been around for a while).  It is a 3-2-1 plan with 6 runs per week, 3 short, 2 medium, one long.  So for now, if you wanted to follow it, you would build to 3 x 2 mile runs, 2 x 4 miles, and 1 x 6 miles.  Each week, add your 5% across the board with the 4th week as a recovery with lighter distance (but keep the frequency up).  Keep the intensity level down on almost all of the runs.  Personally, I do my running by time and heart rate, but the same principles apply.

Happy Training!

This is very good advice!  Most, some would argue all, running injuries come from doing too much, too fast, too soon.  My coach likes to say "there is no pace in base".  In other words, this time of year (unless you are training for a Jan or Feb marathon) is the time of year to build your base miles.  They should be relatively easy miles done at a conversational pace. 

The other bit of advice for running is to make sure you have a decent pair of running shoes.  This doesn't mean expensive, just the right shoes for your running gait.  Most running stores will video tape your lower legs and can recommend a shoe that will correct any over pronation, along with addressing the appropriate arch support etc.  Although I am an advocate of supporting the local shops, if the one that is the best is out of budget, look to the online retailers. 

2012-12-30 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I think we are getting close to filling up.  I like to start with a bigger group, since there always seems to be a bit of fallout, although it sounds like everyone has some experience both as triathletes as well as BT members.  There are a couple of folks from prior groups that have let me know that they will be joining us, but are tied up with holiday activities.  I will see where we are in the morning and make a decision from that. 

Either way, any issues or topics you want to discuss, like the running questions, keep them coming! 

BTW, start thinking about your January goals.  I would like you all to post them here and we will work to hold each other to them so that we start off the year on the right foot.  Make them reasonable and realistic, but something that will challenge you! 

Edited by kenj 2012-12-30 5:27 PM

2012-12-30 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4554216

User image

Master
Sin City
kenj - 2012-12-30 3:26 PMstart thinking about your January goals.  I would like you all to post them here and we will work to hold each other to them so that we start off the year on the right foot.  Make them reasonable and realistic, but something that will challenge you! 
I have a few January goals.

train more consistent on bike. I got TrainerRoad and ANT+ stick. Plan is to do at least 3 trainer rides a week.

Add more cross training on days off from trainer. Doyogawithme.com and Skimble.com are great websites.

Start getting back into running. I seem to be able to do a mile easily without the Galloway method...I used to struggle with running a mile without stopping. No time/pace goals. Just fitness. 1-2 times a week.

walk Stardust more often!!! (my dog...yes, a Vegas name for a Vegas dog

I think these are reasonable.
2012-12-30 6:08 PM

User image

January Goals

Finish Goofy upright!

Swim 3x a week.I suck at it the most so I need to focus on getting better.

Stretching and mobility daily. I have really slacked on my stretching and I can feel it. I would like to get in a yoga class 1-2x a week.

A combination of intervals/hill/stair training to help with my speed. All I have done is run so I have the distance. Now i want speed.

Get back on the bike. I dont have a trainer so Ill probably start with spin classes while its cold.

Stop eating like a pig. This includes NO alcohol consumption for the month.

2012-12-30 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Has anyone done a FTP/ LT and found disappointment after the ride? I did the 20 minute test. I know its not 100% accurate when using numbers from TrainerRoad without using a true power meter, but I didn't think the numbers were that low. My FTP is a bit embarrassing low. Could I have pushed it a little more? Perhaps, but my HR got pretty high up to the point that if it was that high on the road, I pushed it too hard, to the point where I'm out of breath. It was hard but not brutal. I am also a masher, not a spinner. What's everyone's thoughts on cadence? My sweet spot is 85 rpm. My problem with cadence is there are hills everywhere here, and its kind of hard (for me) to keep a cadence of 90+ in my easiest gear going up. If I try to just spin on the flats/rollers, my speed is 2-3 mph slower than normal. I see other people spin easily on steeper hills, while I'm struggling to turn the cranks (easiest gear at 34 front/28 back ) to the point that I feel like I'm mashing vs spinning. Would like to set up most of my indoor training to work on that. I suspect that its purely hamstrings issue. Any trainer/ non-trainer workouts you suggest to help that?Thanks! Looking forward to my last ride of the year tomorrow!
2012-12-30 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
2 weeks off won't rob you of fitness.  The illness might have set you back a bit though.  Easy does it as you build back up.  That is a lot of volume there.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64