BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-04-01 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4544169

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED

171, even for the week - I thought I was being fairly good but the son's birthday party and Easter dinner probably didn't help. Ran back to back 90 minutes on Saturday and Sunday this weekend for the first time so it could have been worse. Even though the contest is ending I am going to continue my quest for the 160's.

Hope everyone had a good week. I will announce the winner tonight.

2013-04-01 8:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Dogpaddle 2013-04-01 8:21 AM
2013-04-01 10:29 PM

What is a cross bike?
2013-04-01 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4682793

New user
Hingham, MA

This can't be, I won the contest by one/one-hundredth of a percentage point thus the mug will go to the 2nd place winner David (DLB - just pm me your address). He will need a new coffee mug with a new little one on the way. Great job everyone, over 62 pounds as a group!

Mama's Portly Triathlete
Weight Loss Challenge
As of week ending 4/1/2013
Starting WeightCurrent WeightPounds LostPercentage Lost
jredfly17817173.93%
DLB240230.69.43.92%
josephie187180.26.83.64%
Dd293518117563.31%
rustymom18517963.24%
John S24123472.90%
jeuart204198.25.82.84%
LSU Running Mom261.82556.82.60%
gmorning15014732.00%
dogpaddle16316031.84%
A Little Madness160158.51.50.94%
kslamp152.1152.100.00%

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-04-01 11:35 PM
2013-04-02 7:10 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-02 4:03 PM

Is a cross bike tough enough for mountain biking or more of a gentle trail bike that is good for roads?

2013-04-03 6:07 AM
in reply to: #4681133

New user
Hingham, MA
John_S - 2013-03-31 8:29 PM

Forgot to mention, last Saturday I picked up my new.....

Fuji Cross 2.0

Looking forward to moving into our new office in May and then commuting 3 days per week on it. 

Yeah!

Nice Ride! Nothing is more fun than getting a new set of wheels.

2013-04-03 7:41 AM

Congratulations everybody on the weight loss. While I wasn't in the contest I was impressed every week by your continued focus and commitment to the challenge! Good job, again.

2013-04-04 6:23 AM

New user
Hingham, MA

Hey Amy - I went on your blog and saw someone else got a new ride - very nice! Let me know how you like it.

I was thinking on pimping my ride with some new wheels but decided to hold off until I get more experienced.

Next purchase will be a wetsuit, I know you have mentioned wetsuits before but I couldn't find it in the thread. If you could provide a quick 101 lesson in buying one I would be grateful, plus if you could let me know what brands your tri friends like (or don't like) that would be cool. Keep in mind I am a beginner swimmer so I think more buoyancy would be better, what do you think?

FYI - I just got a new job which is a good thing but will involve quite a bit of  travel so I am a little worried about my routine, I had a nice masters class that I used to hit on my way to work. I am hoping to find hotels that may have pools decent enough to train in or fitness centers nearby with a pool and spin classes so I can keep this going. Is there anyone in the group that travels and if so do they have any workout tips or schedules they follow? Thanks James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-04-04 6:52 AM
2013-04-04 7:21 AM

New user

I got my wet suit from wetsuitrental.com. I needed one for a September race. You just enter some info about your body and what you need it for and they send you one that will work. Their accuracy rate is like 95% or something. If the one they send you doesn't fit, you send it back and they'll send a replacement.  Then after you rent, if you like it, you get a discount on buying it. I was skeptical, but it worked out really well for me. And their customer service was fantastic.

The one wet suit tip I wish someone had told me, which may not be applicable for you, make sure your nails are short. I had long nails when I first tried it on and put a couple of tiny rips in it. They're easy to fix. But it would have been even easier to trim my nails.

2013-04-04 7:54 AM

I did get a new ride - to take to France. I like it a lot. It was used so I've spent the last few weeks making what seems like daily trips to the bike store for accessories.

I think traveling and working out is crazy hard but there is a well known age group triathlete who travels a lot and by a lot I mean constantly. He also blogs about his workouts and travel so it's motivational to be sure to see how he makes it work. www.dcrainmaker.com

Okay Amy's wetsuit 101. Wetsuits make you faster. I have seen it estimated that it's approximately 10 seconds per 100 yds/meters. It's a lot of time. If you can race in a wetsuit - do it. While swimming in a wetsuit is easier I have never understood the idea of using it to make up for lack of swim training - it's not that much easier in my opinion. If you can find somebody to show you how to put your wetsuit on correctly it's really worth the time.

I have a sleeveless Orca and a sleeved Pro Motion (www.wetsuit.com). I bought the sleeveless wetsuit from a local store where the owner spent an hour making sure I learned how to put on my suit. TriJungle here in Miami. They do sell online. Orca's are very tight going on and also the surface is really fragile. I can't even look at mine without getting a fingernail hole in the neoprene. It's annoying. I've become adept at patching it with wetsuit sealant. Sleeveless wetsuits are easier to put on and take off. They also allow unrestricted arm/shoulder motion while you're swimming.

My sleeved wetsuit I bought online because I knew 4-5people who had them and loved them. This is saying a lot because everybody seems to hate sleeved wetsuits because it restricts their motion in the water. I was really nervous about that when I ordered mine but it hasn't been an issue at all. I do love my Pro Motion wetsuit. Among other things the fabric seems sturdier than the orca to fingernails which is pretty great. My brother wears a sleeved xterra and he loves it. xterra does a rental program that's really pretty great. You rent one for a weekend and if you decide to buy one of their suits part/all of that price applies to your purchase.

When I bought my first wetsuit I was told that most triathletes don't put their wetsuit on correctly. I'll say now this is true. Yes, they are constricting but they are made for lifelong swimmers like Andy Potts and I guarantee his shoulders and chest are much wider than any of ours. If it's too constricting to breathe while you are in the water then it's either too small or most likely you haven't pulled it up far enough into your crotch/armpits. When it's on correctly it may feel crappy on land but you should not be restricted at all while you are swimming. Really.

Now you are ready to put on your suit. Here's how it goes. It's a workout and it's not graceful at all :-)

When you put on your wetsuit first cover your body in glide/slide whatever. Make sure your fingernails are cut short. Wear gloves if you have them. Put your feet into plastic grocery bags (you look stupid but everyone does it because it is helpful). Fold the wetsuit down at the waist and slide your foot/leg through as high as you can, really. Always pull from the inside to avoid tearing the neoprene. You will eventually tear the neoprene anyway but it's good to be careful. Slowly pull the wetsuit on from the bottom (don't pull from the waist) the neoprene sticks to itself so you have to pull in little steps from the bottom. It's like pantyhose (but that doesn't help the guys, sorry). When you're close to your waist pull it up over your tush/hips and you should have a crease at the top of your leg (there should be a little bit of extra fabric there). If there isn't that crease then pull it back down and pull up higher at the bottom of the legs and work it back up. (Seriously while it takes forever I usually end up starting over at least once. Patience here equals comfort in the water). Pulling from the waist does no good. The neoprene will stretch a little bit and you'll think it's on but it's going to be really tight and uncomfortable. You want it to not be stretched on you but on you in the right spot. Then do a little jiggle jump holding the waist of the wetsuit and you should feel like you have a neoprene wedgie. That's when it's on high enough at your waist to put your arms into the suit. For a sleeveless just pop your arms in and proceed to the burp. For a sleeved wetsuit put the bags over your hands and slide your arms through. Then pull them up over your shoulders and work the fabric up until you have a wiggle room crease in your armpit. This is so important. If you don't work the wetsuit high enough into your armpit you will not have enough stretch to get a full arm stroke in your swim. Remember one hand will be in front and the other behind as you stroke. Many people do this in pairs. You put your hand on their chest and they work the sleeve fabric up into your armpit. Neoprene wedgie in the armpit is good. Now zip up the wet suit in the back. You will feel like you have a noose around your neck. This is normal. Now burp the wetsuit. Bend your knees and go into a crouch position. You will have a bubble of fabric on your belly. Pull it away from your body a little bit and work the fabric up allowing any extra air to escape through the neck (that's the burp) and also bringing as much fabric to the top of the suit as possible. Do this also in the back although it's not as easy. When you stand up you should no longer feel like your choking. But it is still usually snug for me around my neck. I've never worn a tie but I hear it's a similar feeling. Now put a lot of extra glide under the suit around your neck. Really a lot all the way up to your hairline. You can't have too much.

And that's it. Get into the water and swim a few strokes. If you feel like you can't breathe come back to shore and work the wetsuit on higher in your armpits and neck.

Hope that helps!

2013-04-04 8:34 AM

New user
Amy, just reading that made me feel claustrophobic. I had a tiny panic attack the first time I put on my wetsuit. Thank god I didn't wait until race day to put it on or I might not have toed the line. I'll have to try the plastic bag trick next time. And you reminded me I have some patching I've been meaning to do all winter. Smile
2013-04-04 8:49 AM

Raleigh, NC

THANK YOU for that great description of putting on a wetsuit!

Now for the other side......taking one off.  I've seen that the larger races to have volunteers at the entry to the transition area helping athletes take off their wetsuits.  But I suspect that at the smaller races they may not have them.

Is it easy to remove the wetsuit by yourself in transition?

Martha

2013-04-04 10:54 AM

If the suit is still wet, it peels off easily while turning it wrong side out.
2013-04-05 9:10 AM

New user
Hingham, MA

WOW! Amy that was a great dissertation on how to put on a wetsuit and should be put into the bt thread entry hall of fame!!!

I had never worn a wet suit before and I finally went out yesterday to try some on. Believe me when I say I wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for your timely instructions. I could actually visualize every step you brought us through and was finally able to squeeze into one of those suckers. I now truly have a new enhanced feeling around the saying of trying to fit 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag.

Thanks for the heads up on Orcas, I thought they looked really cool and was tempted but I stayed away. Plus I didn't want people trying to roll me back into the water when I was coming out (chubby fat as a whale joke, Ha! Ha!). I winded up doing some research online and pulled the trigger on a HUUB Aegis. This is their entry version and I feel like I got a good deal on a last years closeout for $125 new, seemed cheap enough if it doesn't work out. I liked how they step away from the pack and don't add fad stuff like forearm catch panels. They are also different from other 3:5 suits in that the 3mm is in the chest and the 5mm is in the torso and legs where i need it more, most wetsuits are the exact opposite. Anyway it seemed to make sense, they sold me. I'll let you know how I like it when it comes in, although the water is still 42F up here in Boston Habah so it may be a while.

Going to finally get the bike on the road this weekend, it's going to feel really good to get back out there again.

What's up for the weekend people???

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-04-05 7:12 PM
2013-04-05 11:45 AM

Some one mentioned workouts when on the road. It doesn't hit triathlons 100% but, spartan race.com has a workout of the day that they will email to you. They can be done pretty much any where and rarely require any equipment. Heavy on core strength and decent on endurance so it's a good filler or cross train regardless. I find that eating on the road is my downfall so I make a major effort to find hotels by grocery stores so I can eat more fruits and veggies.

2013-04-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4688199

New user
Hingham, MA

D_L_B - 2013-04-05 12:45 PM I make a major effort to find hotels by grocery stores so I can eat more fruits and veggies.

Thanks David, the hotel near a grocery store is a great idea. I have started trying to get my carbs via fruits and vegetables to lose more weight and the traveling is going to make it tough. Thanks James

2013-04-07 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4686596

Kenosha

I agree totally with this strategy and perfected my own by watching youtube and a local pro Lauren Jensen demonstrate how she removes her. My .02cents

as soon as you get your land legs out of the water.

1. unzip the suit

2. take off cap and goggles

3. putt cap and googles in your offhand (left for righties, right for lefties)

4. with your dominant hand pull that shoulder of the wetsuit off and in one motion pull your offhand with goggles and swim cap back through the sleeve

5. while pulling your offhand through go ahead and release the goggles and swim cap in the sleeve

6. pull the other shoulder off and pull that arm completely free of the wetsuit. At this point the wetsuit is off of your upper body and both arm sleeves are inside out. You also are likely now at your bike spot in transition. Do all of the above while continuing to move towards your bike. It will help with your heart rate and in getting your legs back under you.

7. now at your bike with both hands pull your wetsuit straight down to the ground. The legs will likely be right around your knees at this point.

8. step on the wetsuit with one foot (it doesn't matter which one) and quickly pull the other foot straight up. Since the wetsuit is still plenty wet it will slide right off. Hint the closer you step on the suit to the leg you are pulling out, the faster and easier this will be.

9. strip the opposite leg the same way. Now your wetsuit is completely inside out and you can quickly stow it while transitioning to bike gear. 

Here is a link that shows what I do and what I've explained. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHcsqKM_mo&list=PL093F7189E590F6FF

2013-04-07 8:14 AM

Kenosha

Had an OK long run yesterday but one problem. Here's the details.

Ran a better pace this Saturday. I got my distance in and stayed on pace.
11 miles in 2:12. That's one mile added on to last weeks run but only two minutes of added time. One big problem, I bonked at 1:56 at 9.7 miles into the run.

I made several mistakes that I think caused the bonk. 

1. poor breakfast choice

2. I sweat lots and was 16 ounces into my 24 ounce drink mix after only 1 hour. I started rationing my intake to make it last. Dehydration and endurance sports are a recipe for disaster.

3. I didn't bring any gu to take in during the run.

I'm a type II diabetic and know better than to go longer than 1 hour without additional carb intake and I screwed up yesterday. Let my mistake be a lesson to all of you. 

1. Make good meal decisions (pancakes taste good, but the glucose levels provided by them is depleted way too fast), oatmeal and some fruit are much better pre-race and long effort choices. I almost have oatmeal every day but goofed that up yesterday.

2. don't deprive your body of the fluids it needs according to your sweat rate

3. know your intake needs during endurance efforts and plan accordingly.

I was a smarta$$ yesterday and thought I could cover my run with fitness and my previous training. I did not plan for my workout appropriately and the poor planning bit me in the behind. Guess what, even the pro's will bonk if they screw up their diet, fluids and nutrition.

What was I thinking. Embarassed

Take care team and have a great training week this week.

2013-04-07 10:26 PM

I just hurl if I eat at all before any activity. I can do the gels before with no problem but even toast is liable to make me queasy.
2013-04-08 10:03 AM

Bonking is no fun. Call me the queen of understatement. It sounds like it happened fairly late into your run and you were able to finish safely which is good.

As it start to warm up outside its good to plan for extra fluids on the run. Also if you are going faster you might need extra calories to hold the pace. So my opinion is that we should always have one more Gu than you think you'll need when on a long ride-run. Just because we have it doesn't mean you have to eat it but you can't eat what you don't have.

Anyway that being said I showed up at my race yesterday one GU short. I was able to borrow from a friend so it worked out for me. I'm glad your run worked out.

In other news I PR'd by over 10 minutes in my olympic distance race yesterday. :-)

2013-04-08 12:44 PM

Veteran

I ran/walked a 5K with my 8yr old on Saturday.  We finished in 40 minutes.  This is an improvement over 2 years ago when we finished in 48 minutes.  It was cold and windy, but that did not deter us.  We warmed right up.  He pushed my run pace a bit and I kept his walk pace up.  It went pretty well. 

Funny though my PR when by myself it only 1 minute faster, LOL!  I guess I don't push myself very well if I can run the whole thing and not be significantly faster than run walking with an 8 yr old.

2013-04-09 10:33 AM

Andrea what a great thing to do with your family! We do the turkey trot 5k as a family every year and this year my husband and daughter ran it in about 40 minutes. I think it's great you guys pushed each other. Good job and congratulations!
2013-04-09 12:57 PM

Los Angeles
Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for not being active in the group the past month or so. Since January, my family has been hit with a number of illnesses (the flu, respiratory infections, broken ribs, pinkeye, you name it, we've had it) and work has been crazy. I'm still training, but my time for anything else has been severely restricted. So, I apologize again! Congrats to everyone on your progress! And yay for the weight-loss challenge! Amy: I can't wait to hear about France! As for me: I did my first tri in February. After my first tri, I decided to work on 2 things before my next triathlon later this fall: weight-loss and running. I'm on a low carb diet and so far I've dropped about 5 pounds. I'd like to be down another 15 or so. It feels good to be running leaner. And as for running: I'm doing a 5K improvement program that involves one "easy" run, a day of intervals and a long run. I'm 3 weeks in and have another 5 to go until I have a 5K trail run in mid-May. Once my 5K is over and I've lost the weight (fingers crossed), I'll be switching back to another tri sprint training program for races later in the summer/fall. But it all depends on the weight-loss. Because I just feel that - for me - I need to conquer the weight thing before anything else. So that's me and what I've been focussed on. You all sound great and hope you are all doing well! xo, g
2013-04-09 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4691629

New user
Hingham, MA
rustymom - 2013-04-08 1:44 PM

I ran/walked a 5K with my 8yr old on Saturday.  We finished in 40 minutes.  This is an improvement over 2 years ago when we finished in 48 minutes.  I

Funny though my PR when by myself it only 1 minute faster, LOL!  I guess I don't push myself very well if I can run the whole thing and not be significantly faster than run walking with an 8 yr old.

Great job Andrea!!! My wife just did a PR run/walking a 5k with my daughter who is 14. I ran with my 12 year old boy who is working on some weight loss and he did awesome.

Nice to see you back G!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24