General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex Global Trainer and Footpod(garmin) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-02 8:39 AM

New user
Subject: Timex Global Trainer and Footpod(garmin)
I just got myself a TGT,paired it with my gsc10,power meter and garmin footpod. the firmware is the latest but the TGT does not seem to record distance when i try using the footpod, it does read cadence. i tried turning off the gps but it was still not recording properly, the battery on the pod is new and no issues when used with my better half`s FR60
-posted this in ST but just in case someone having the same issues and was able to resolve it.
-anyone having issues with the mode button being unresponsive with regard to cycling to the different modes? any tips?

2013-01-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4557527

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Timex Global Trainer and Footpod(garmin)
So the foot pod is "paired" with the TGT, correct?  If so I'd suggest that you make sure it is enabled in the configuration screen.  If enabled it should show a little shoe icon where you see your other icons (i.e. HR, Sat, etc.).
2013-01-02 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

If the TGT is anything like the Garmin 910, you have to tell it to use the foot pod for distance instead of satellite.

2013-01-02 5:08 PM

New user
Yup the icon's there, cadence and pace is available but the distance's not showing, 2.5 hr run, i logged less half a mile

I turned on the pod after pairing it with the gps turned on as well, for the TGT, gps will record elevation and map points while the pod distance/cadence, same for the bike sensors.
2013-01-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4558711

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

dmascardo - 2013-01-02 6:08 PM Yup the icon's there, cadence and pace is available but the distance's not showing, 2.5 hr run, i logged less half a mile

I turned on the pod after pairing it with the gps turned on as well, for the TGT, gps will record elevation and map points while the pod distance/cadence, same for the bike sensors.

Hmmm... assuming that the "logged less [than a] half a mile" is true then I'd say that your calibration may be off... waaaaaay off!  Once you pair it, it should be set up at 100% calibration.  This is usually wrong, but shouldn't be that far off.  I'd check to see what the calibration factor is, and even maybe just re-calibrate it for good measure.

2013-01-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4559602

New user
Sous - 2013-01-03 9:00 AM

dmascardo - 2013-01-02 6:08 PM Yup the icon's there, cadence and pace is available but the distance's not showing, 2.5 hr run, i logged less half a mile

Hmmm... assuming that the "logged less [than a] half a mile" is true then I'd say that your calibration may be off... waaaaaay off!  Once you pair it, it should be set up at 100% calibration.  This is usually wrong, but shouldn't be that far off.  I'd check to see what the calibration factor is, and even maybe just re-calibrate it for good measure.

thanks, i did check that part of the watch the other day, low and behold the calibration factor was like 1% but never thought about it as being part of the issue. Lesson learned, this i did not see as i`m just used to the FR60 wherein you pair and run - very accurate pods as i`ve done a 5k run and it read the exact distance w/o calibration.

2013-01-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4560051

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
dmascardo - 2013-01-03 12:54 PM

thanks, i did check that part of the watch the other day, low and behold the calibration factor was like 1% but never thought about it as being part of the issue. Lesson learned, this i did not see as i`m just used to the FR60 wherein you pair and run - very accurate pods as i`ve done a 5k run and it read the exact distance w/o calibration.

Ah... there you have it!!  Mine wasn't too bad "out of the box" I did the calibration by running a known distance and it was off by .02 over a half mile so not really a huge deal, but I did adjust it and now its pretty spot on.

2013-01-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4560157

New user
Sous - 2013-01-03 12:52 PM

dmascardo - 2013-01-03 12:54 PM

Ah... there you have it!!  Mine wasn't too bad "out of the box" I did the calibration by running a known distance and it was off by .02 over a half mile so not really a huge deal, but I did adjust it and now its pretty spot on.

aha moment for me LOL! i rotate 3 pairs of shoes, for my FR60 as long i place the pod on the same part of the shoe, it will be ok. i did notice one pair was giving fast paces even if it was really easy and slow, with the three pairs, i just fixed the factor to 100% and did not calibrate for each pair anymore so far so good for the garmin, i will adjust when i run after work today and see the difference. my better half uses endomondo on her iphone which will be off by less than 200 meters for the whole workout, we have some tree cover and one tall building so that might be the reason why it`s off by that much, i guess as long as it`s not more than a mile/miles then i`ll be fine. thanks again!
2013-01-03 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4558666

User image

Veteran
cgregg - 2013-01-02 5:35 PM

If the TGT is anything like the Garmin 910, you have to tell it to use the foot pod for distance instead of satellite.

The TGT will always default to statellite - I used the timex footpod with my TGT.  You can bypass to the foodpod if you going to run on a treadmill.

2013-01-03 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4560429

New user
BigPaulD - 2013-01-03 2:29 PM

cgregg - 2013-01-02 5:35 PM

The TGT will always default to statellite - I used the timex footpod with my TGT.  You can bypass to the foodpod if you going to run on a treadmill.

thanks,will the pod continue in case the gps signal gets dropped? i know for the gsc10 on the bike, gps will only cover elevation while speed/distance will be recorded by the sensor but i might be wrong

Edited by dmascardo 2013-01-03 2:56 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex Global Trainer and Footpod(garmin) Rss Feed