BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-02-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4625075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: RE: FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING!
RunningReenie - 2013-02-16 12:51 PM

Happy Saturday everyone! I hope everyone is staying on track! The metatarsal pad works great on my right foot. The left is still a b***h. Less of one with the pad, but still. Next step is x-ray for stress fracture and check out from a foot doctor. Yuck. If no stress fracture, going for cortisone. I think. I just want my stupid left foot to not hurt. -sigh- Problems of runners.

Have an awesome rest of weekend!

Oh that sucks. Sorry. Hate when the body isn't working up to our expectations!! Are you able to swim? Would that still cause discomfort? Do what you can without overdoing it!

2013-02-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4560540

User image

Hey girls!

I'm still here too. Just spent a great hour catching up on all your posts. I hadn't managed to get on here and use the training log for about a week but have just updated it now. 

My news ... I've just got a place in an Ironman distance in July!!! There is only 2 IM events in England and one of them is in my home city of Nottingham and it happens to fall 6 days before my 40th birthday so I stuck my name on the waiting list just to see what happened. And it happened and I've signed up! Yikes!!!! Absolutely terrified and excited all at the same time!  I have downloaded a 20 week training plan which starts today. And this morning I got up at 6.30 and did 47 miles on my bike. Tough going but its a start! I also need to run later this evening. The weather is fab here today, after weeks of cold, grey, snowy days, it finally feels that spring could be on its way so going to make the most of it. Also, after what you said Anne, I have just downloaded a countdown app and will be constantly looking at it for the next 20 weeks ... that should motivate the hell out of me!Surprised

So thats my goal for the summer. Before then I have also entered a duathlon on 10th March, the same as you Elena. Although probably not the same one, unless one of us is doing some serious travelling!! Same distance as you too - 10k run, 40k bike & 5k run. A sprint tri at the end of March and a HIM in June. Looking to get an Olympic distance in somewhere too but not found one local enough that fits in really. Even writing this it all seems a bit crazy but my goal is just to finish, not break any records and then party HARD on my birthday knowing that I've done it!

Right so the February bike challenge - so far I'm on 110 miles and planning another 40ish later this week so i'm going to go for 200 miles which i would be v happy with.  All these miles will be on my bike so I'm not counting the few (and short!) turbo sessions I did when it was too snowy. I'm rubbish on the turbo so probably best to ignore them anyway!!

And as far as boobs, bras and tri suits are concerned ... if only i had enough to make it a problem! Wink

Ok so I've not been on here for ages and now I've written an essay ... sorry! Hope you're all having a good weekend and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this forum now (as well as my training!) Right now about this run ......

2013-02-17 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Alex: WOW! You are a brave little thing!! That's a lot of races but I know how exciting the training is and how motivating it can be to have raxes lined up. There are days when i hate to train but overall the training is whats most enjoyable to me, more so than race day! Awesome ride too! Keep it up because we'll be checking your logs next.
2013-02-17 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4625077

User image

EV3110 - 2013-02-16 1:56 PM

Are you able to swim? Would that still cause discomfort? Do what you can without overdoing it!

I can swim and still run small distances. I have a 10 KM in three weeks though. Today I didn't run at all hoping if it is still just inflammation of my toe that doing two 10 KM in a row is a bad decision. So I will run tomorrow. I am just so unimpressed.

Glad to here everyone else had a great weekend though!

2013-02-19 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
UGH- injures SUCK I'm so sorry about the continued foot problems, Reenie!!!

I spent saturday, sunday monday all day at swim meets (regionals) for my 10 year old. She did weel- finals each night- but totally crashed this morning, poor kid. I kept her home from school and am pushing fluids- she is dehydrated and just worn out.

this means my workouts are crazy- thank goodness for the bike challenge, at least it makes me do something- will not make it to the pool today, or fit in my run. but bike I can do! prior to cleaning (house showing at 3:00, super convenient- NOT)

Moving company comes a week from tomorrow so I have to get the rest of the miles in. Still hoping for 200!

And alex HOLY COW! Ironman! that is AWESOME!!!!!
2013-02-19 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4625634

User image

alexrj - 2013-02-17 8:53 AM

Hey girls!

I've just got a place in an Ironman distance in July!!! There is only 2 IM events in England and one of them is in my home city of Nottingham and it happens to fall 6 days before my 40th birthday so I stuck my name on the waiting list just to see what happened. And it happened and I've signed up! Yikes!!!! Absolutely terrified and excited all at the same time!  I have downloaded a 20 week training plan which starts today. 

You go girl! 

-Irene

2013-02-21 4:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
UGH.

Figured out why I am sooo tired. went to my doctor yesterday and I have shingles (mild case) but still. he said the stress of the pending move, watching all three kids myself, and keeping the house ready to show probably triggered it. he prescriped steroids and cream and told me to rest. HA.

The good news is, my husband gets back here Saturday and is here until we start the move wednesday.

reALLy tires me out but I'm getting in my bike rides. Hoping to make it to the Y today for a swim.

how is everyone else? how about the February challenge? I'm at around 175 and closing in on that 200 goal! I've got a few more rides scheduled (Friday, Sunday, Monday) so here's hoping it happens before my Bike gets packed up.

Quite a few people have races scheduled for March- HOORAY!!! So that obviously should be your march challenge.

But what about everyone else? What should we do for challenge? Do you want to keep setting your own- or do you want me to toss one out there?
2013-02-21 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
What are shingles exactly? You've got so much happening now Anne. It's awesome that you are continuing training at all! It's Been a terrible training week for me . Only one workout!!! My kids are on winter break this week. And when they are home the workouts get 2nd priority unfortunately. I could have had a decent ride yesterday because my parents took the kids and baked 3 different types of cookies! Nice hu! I thought since I was alone I'd get groceries @ Costco and afterward drive another 10 min north and ride the course of my upcoming race. Well, I get there, unloadmy bike & headout. I about died at the temp & WIND. I'm not used to wind AT ALL. The course is a5 mile loop -- I'm such a wimp I took a shortcut and only did it once!! A total of 3 miles!!!! Said 'f it! (Excuse the potty mouth). Went home and stuffed my mouth with those cookies!! I think I'm at 120 is for my ride challenge. Heading out tom morn to our cabin. I havent skiied in15 yrs but looks like I'm going to get out there bc my 8 yr old is ready for the lifts! Yikes! I will get some running in while there. But will be consuming adult beverages too. .we shall see how it goes. Good news is the kids are back to school on Monday and i can train!
2013-02-21 7:57 PM

User image

Anne: Shingles.. Oh dear.. Get lots of sleep or as much as you can given your schedule.

Gear question: I am looking to buy the road bike.. -big breath- I don't want to spend a lot. I have my eye on the two bikes, the ladies Giant Avail and a Canondale Synapse

Here are the specs:

https://bertandmacs.sourceforsports.com/catalog/bike/giant-avail 

http://www.bowcycle.com/bc12/bicycles/synapse-womens-7-c-wht/?bicycle-type=Road&road-choices=Entry&city-choices=&mountain-choices=&bmx-choices=&gender=Female&wheel-size=%2B700c 

That is from the stores I would like to buy the winning bike from. I would prefer to spend about $1000-$1200 and upgrade if I really like this whole tri thing. Please provide feedback! Thank you!

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-02-21 8:05 PM
2013-02-22 6:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I started out on a road bike for my first tri - my husband's old bike. It was too big for me so I had to fall off to dismount. After two races, and one season, we decided to get a bike for me. I bought a used specialized transition and love it.

do you have the option to buy used? just curious. as far as choosing between the two, I have no idea. can you ride them first?

oh cookies....and workouts. the good news is, your body will like the break. when you get back to training next week you will be so full of energy and have no hurts or aches. unless that whole adult beverages/skiing thing doesn't go well this weekend.

shingles- when you get chicken pox, that virus stays in your body forever. it stays in your nerves. when you are under stress, or your immune system is down, then the virus can activate. causes a rash along the nerves- for me, along the skin on my inside rt ankle. rash normally stays on one side of the body and follows the nerve bundles. it's painful and blisters like poison ivy. but worse than that is the exhaustion - really tired. I took yesterday off. I'm on steroids plus a steroid cream; dr said by today i should be feeling better.

My kids have today off from school- ice/sleet on our roads. hoping for a long bike on the trainer today!
2013-02-23 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4632735

User image

AKR18 - 2013-02-22 5:08 AM I started out on a road bike for my first tri - my husband's old bike. It was too big for me so I had to fall off to dismount. After two races, and one season, we decided to get a bike for me. I bought a used specialized transition and love it. do you have the option to buy used? just curious. as far as choosing between the two, I have no idea. can you ride them first?

I live in a smaller area so the availability of used bikes isn't great. Second, I can try both of them out. That is on the to do list today, test drive me a bicycle. :-)

Anne: How are you feeling these days?  

2013-02-23 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
AH!

yesterday on our day off.....suddenly we all got sick! my middle child is super sick- high fever, throwing up. my littlest has a mid grade fever and says her stomach hurts. i have been on nurse duty ever since.

up every two hours last night.

thanks for asking- i am still really tired- but at least do not have the kids stomach bug!
2013-02-23 7:01 PM

User image

Anne: Wash your hands really well! And lysol the crap outta your toilet seats. Then you will stay stomach bug free. :-)
I hope everyone is feel back to 110% really soon.. Warm thoughts being sent your warm.

-Irene 

2013-02-25 5:40 AM

User image

Hey guys,

Sounds like everyone is struggling to get out there at the moment, what with school holidays, illness and injurys! Its so easy for everything to get in the way and stop us training ... i hate it!! Me and the kids went to visit my parents last week in the holidays and i did manage a good 10 mile run on the seafront but my bike ride was cut short as i punctured twice 25 miles in and only had one inner tube! Had to phone my dad to come and pick me up ... slightly too old for that i think!! The kids are back to school tomorrow so hoping to get back on track this week.

Anne, I hope all your crew are on the mend and you're ready for the move. You've done fab to get any training in at all with everything you've got happening!

How did trying out the bikes go Irene? I love bike shopping!! Although most of mine is just putting things in an imaginary basket and not quite proceeding to checkout!! Cheaper that way! Smile

Right today, I've done my swim (2900m) and now I'm off to buy new tubes and tyres for my bike so I've got no puncture excuses not to hit my Feb target.  Currently on 135 miles so its gonna be tight to get another 65 in this week but i'm going to try. Hows everyone else doing?

And as far as challenges are concerned I'm enjoying you setting them Anne. Gives me a little more motivation!  

2013-02-25 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hi gals!

Hoping to check logs soon. My middle child (aged 5) is still sick-f ever gone but still throwing up. She will be home again tomorrow as we finish prepping the house to move. I'm hoping to fit in my last bike ride tomorrow and get over my 200 miles for february!

Wednesday the movers come so I will be maybe fitting in a few runs as we travel to the new house.

So March challenge....let's do a run focused challenge! Pick a mile total for the month of march and tell us- we'll all update as we head towards that goal. I'm prepping for my first big race of the year- the 3 Way challenge at the Flying Pig marathon. I will run the 5k and 10k on saturday, then the half marathon on Sunday (first weekend in May). SO! Gotta ramp up that running and also I have to adjust to running in Florida.

For march, I'm aiming for 40 miles.

Anyone else want in? Or set your own goal

And let us know as you meet your February goals!!!
2013-02-26 4:16 AM

User image

I have just checked my training plan and i have 13 and half hours scheduled for March running. So at a pace slightly quicker than 10 min miles that would give me a target of 85 miles for the month! That sounds ridiculous but with the IM looming i'm up for the challenge and it will help keep me on target.

Put me down for 85 ... I'm in and on it!!Laughing 

2013-02-26 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Holy crap - GO ALEX!!!

I passed 200 today, so my february goal is done and checked! Hoping my march goal goes the same way.

Movers come tomrrow; I will be checking logs though and checking in, so keep working!

How about some more march goals? I've tried to set March as a run month- name your mileage and let's go!
2013-02-26 8:54 PM

User image

I think I may run and bike in March. I got my bike (YAY!) on Saturday, however, after a glorious weekend, it snowed yesterday and today. So..... Yeah -laughs- Yay Canada. I have my big dance production all this week, so I am dead tired thinking about the week ahead. -laughs-

I will try to do some short runs this week and then Sunday get back into 10 KM. I have my 10 KM race on March 9. I am going to aim for under 70 minutes. So.. once life settles down for me after this week, I will get you my March Madness Mileage!

Good luck, Alex! That is a lot of running :-)

Anne: Good luck with the movers. And the subsequent unpacking. :-)

-Irene

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-02-26 8:54 PM
2013-03-02 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Happy March Everyone!

February is done- let us know if you made your february goal, or if you crushed it and by how much!!!!

Remember to set those March goals- for those interested I'd like March to be run focused- pick a cumulative mileage or time goal and go for it!!!!

I've spent the last two days packing, loading, and cleaning- flying to the new house today!
2013-03-02 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4643248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

I did not meet my ride goal.  Sniffle. 157 of 200.  Dangit! And I totally could have! My run #'s stink.  Not sure next weeks Duathlon will go well,  Sniffle again.  I am happy to say  however that I began swimming this week and got in 3 days with 2800yds! Yeeha!!  

So this month my run goals will be 14 miles per week -56miles.    What do ya say we check in every week to keep one another accountable?  Anyone? Also, anyone willing to get in core work with me for the Month of March? My tummy is  flab. Need to strengthen!!  So along with  my 56 run miles I'm going to get in a p90x ab ripper workout OR BT's "Around the world" workout (i would provide the link, but dont know how to do that!). 

Anna, Are you super excited about the move?  Just think, You can begin UN-packing.  Oh Joy!!  Why are you moving to Fl?  I think you mentioned it already..but cant remember. 

Happy weekend all.   

2013-03-02 7:37 PM

Oregon

Hey, everyone! I have not been on nor/logging my workouts here.  I've had some family issues and falling behind in my math class. Life has been busy. I am struggling with living so far away from the gym. My girls school and gym is a half hour away (hour around trip).

I have to admit I find the logging/recording on this site difficult.  Maybe it's the virgo in me but it not working for me. I am recording in the blog format. So the past month isn't accurate. I don't have the time nor energy to go back and fix it at the moment.

I am excited to have signed up for Bridge to Brew 8k race with my sister and SIL. Race is in April. Run over two bridges in Portland. Finish up with a beer! Excited to spend a fun weekend in P-town with my SIL and sister. We did a 5k on fourth of July and had a blast!

I am super excited to have ordered a bike!!!!  Local bike shop having a big yearly sale. Since where I live it rains ALL the time-I am getting a bike trainer and computer as well.  The owner of the shop was super helpful and told me of a upcoming tri clinic that the store is having. She asked me a little about my training now and told me that this would be a PERFECT clinic for me~as it is for super newbies like myself.  I am hoping to meet some other ladies in my area who are doing a local tri in September. I don't have any friends in my circle of friends who are active and into running/swimming or biking. The week after the store is doing a basic bike repair class that I signed up for as well. I hope to have my bike by then.  

There is a sprint tri in May in my hometown that I am thinking I might, might (this is a huge might) consider signing up for. Pool swim, flat bike course as well as flat 5k.

My morning car pool schedule changed. I might trying to attend a two pilates classes a week to help with my core and get my tummy more toned. I am a huge fan of Run Like a Mother by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea~the website, fb and books are fabulous. I am currently doing their "Finish It" half marathon plan. I have it printed out and cross off the days. On the XT days or optional days I cross train~bike or swim.  I listen to their pod casts on long runs. They are funny!

Have a great weekend! Enjoy the sun Anne, as I plug in my new sun lamp I just ordered!

2013-03-04 9:34 AM

User image

Master

Hi Fellow Fancy Pants-ers -

Well, February sucked a big fat one as far as distances and times go.  Just too many lazy days.  The weight is showing it as well.  

Had a great weekend of hiking with a bunch of girlfriends in the mountains.  Eight middle aged women in a cabin in the woods can get rowdy...let me tell ya!

My goal for March will simply be to get moving.  I would like to say that I will make it a peachy month!  (don't look at March 1st )  Maybe I could make it a peach for hauling firewood!

Anne - I'm interested in seeing how the move goes!

2013-03-05 11:44 AM

User image

Hey girls,

Hope you're all having a good start to the week and the move is going/gone well Anne. had a bit of a slow start this week and had a couple of days off at the weekend and then felt ill yesterday so way too much time off. Yikes! Been to a swimming session this morning with the Tri club I train with - it was tough and I could definitely feel that I'd not been for a week. Got a duathlon on Saturday so not going to be training too hard this week but even so I still feel like I'm playing catch up all the time even though I know I should just let the missed sessions go they play on my mind and I beat myself up about them. Anyone else do this?

So last months goal was cycle 200 miles ... I did 180 ... so failed!!! Although I'm blaming the 5 punctures in 3 rides!! Laughing New tyres now so no excuses!

This months goal ... run 85 miles ... miles done 0 ... must get a wriggle on!

Hows everyone else doing?

2013-03-05 4:44 PM

User image

Master

I need HELP...my stomach is ravenous!  I want to eat 24/7 and don't feel full.  I gave up sweets and fried (and 40 pounds) about 14 months ago and that seems to be what I am craving the most.  And, NO, I'm not pregnant!  What can I eat that will trigger that full feeling...and make feel full longer?

2013-03-05 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4647702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
crews - 2013-03-05 2:44 PM

I need HELP...my stomach is ravenous!  I want to eat 24/7 and don't feel full.  I gave up sweets and fried (and 40 pounds) about 14 months ago and that seems to be what I am craving the most.  And, NO, I'm not pregnant!  What can I eat that will trigger that full feeling...and make feel full longer?

I drink water. That's what I do to fill me up. Or a healthy shake. It helps with feeling full. If You need to chew on something try: an apple, orange, or almonds.-but not too many almonds. Sometimes I'll make a "trail-mix" with raw almonds, Choco-chips,& dried cranberries. One time I had a Baggie in my jeep on a warm day and the heat melted the chips and turned into "bark". Oh it was delish!! Candy essentially. So I guess that's not a good recommendation, but a great treat. BUT also it might BE that you need more fuel. If you're training hard you're burning lots of calories so its ok to eat. Your body needs it when its been worked. Just eat the good stuff! We all know what the good stuff is yet Sooo hard to eat sometimes!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  

of 9