BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-03-17 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4662136

User image

Subject: RE: FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING!
maryew - 2013-03-15 11:14 PM

I am super newbie compaired to some of you other ladies.  I have yet to do a race and feel like this finally might be the year.  My bike arrived. I need to re configure my office to set it up in my trainer. I am attending a tri clinic/basic bike repair class next week put on by the bike shop where I purchased my bike. Discovered an all ladies bike group nearby.  I am super exicted about! 

I met a lady at the park who is new to my area. The head to toe Nike outfit screamed "I am a runner." I asked and we started chatting. We are going to meet up and maybe try to run together. She has ran several marathons and is getting back into running after a knee injury.

I've been hitting yoga at least three times a week. I am finding that yoga is key for me running pain free. I've been bonking in my morning runs. BAD.  I start off good but lose steam half way through walking most of the second half of my runs. Though today I did a 3 mile run here in my town with one big hill and I did awesome my average pace was 9:06. I was super excited!!!!! 

I need to work on eating more throughout the day. In the past I've had some low blood sugar issues. What do you eat before morning workouts? I am not huge breakfast eater. I am trying smoothies. Any ideas would be great.

I am proud of you for just trying out new sports and I don't think it matters that you are a new person to the sport of triathlon. You are giving it a try and good on you :-
I am envious of your pace... I cannot get that fast only when going downhill :-D

What I eat depends on what I am going to do for the workout. It is usually a protein based smoothie (30 grams or more of protein)  no matter what, and then, after I work out I will also eat or drink something. Usually a cup and a half (12 oz.) of low fat chocolate milk. I keep reading about how good it is in aiding recovery. I also drink an energy recycler drink before my long run days and a post workout electrolyte type drink to help with muscle fatigue, etc. Anything more than a smoothie before a workout feels heavy. When I ran longer distances (half-marathon training) I would eat a cup of plain instant oatmeal with brown sugar and milk an hour before running. And coffee. :-)

2013-03-17 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4560540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
First race of the season- DONE!

Today's race was a sprint duathlon- 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run.

I saw two ladies cut the bike course short (and boy did that tick me off). They did not place but if they had I would have raised bloody hell. It was at an unmarshalled corner and the KNEW what they were doing. I hate that. CHEATERS SUCK.

I hoped to finish around 1:20 and I did the race in 1:15, keeping my transitions fairly short. My run pace was under 10 minutes per mile so that made me very happy too. I raced the Athena category and was THRILLED to find out I got first place! award was a nice tall beer glass and it was used well this afternoon.

Second place in my division was a newbie who ran the first two miles with me- I coached her on what to do on the bike and told her not to panic when people flew past her, as she was going to be on a hybrid bike and those are harder to ride in a race. my husband was 7th overall and finished 2nd in his age group!

Exhausted now- working until bedtime....just wiped out but such a great day!
2013-03-17 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4663428

User image

AKR18 - 2013-03-17 4:28 PM First race of the season- DONE! Today's race was a sprint duathlon- 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. I saw two ladies cut the bike course short (and boy did that tick me off). They did not place but if they had I would have raised bloody hell. It was at an unmarshalled corner and the KNEW what they were doing. I hate that. CHEATERS SUCK. I hoped to finish around 1:20 and I did the race in 1:15, keeping my transitions fairly short. My run pace was under 10 minutes per mile so that made me very happy too. I raced the Athena category and was THRILLED to find out I got first place! award was a nice tall beer glass and it was used well this afternoon. Second place in my division was a newbie who ran the first two miles with me- I coached her on what to do on the bike and told her not to panic when people flew past her, as she was going to be on a hybrid bike and those are harder to ride in a race. my husband was 7th overall and finished 2nd in his age group! Exhausted now- working until bedtime....just wiped out but such a great day!

Congrats, Anne! Athena you are! Yay you! Well done!

2013-03-17 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Mary-  Re-Newbie-ness:  We were all walking in your shoes at one time.  Actually not long ago for some of us!  Even though I've got a few races under my belt I still consider myself a newbie. Theres just so much to learn on this forum and when you do finally race your first race you will learn so much from that experience and will be driven to want to learn more!!  So nice that you bumped into a potential running partner!  Always great to have someone to chat with during a run or just have their body moving beside you.  Hope it works out! 

Reenie-  Thanks for the book by Freil recommendation.  I forgot that I had it!  Went and pulled if off the shelf to familiarize myself with it since its been a few years.  I can always use a refresher!   Unfortuantely there is no Half Ironman plan that he includes in the book    He has many to choose from from his website but pricey!..although they include email & phone contact with a coach, etc. 

Anne- First,  Awesome job on the podium finish!  Confidence booster for sure!  Congrats on your husbands effort too!  Next, hilarious comment about the anal husband.  I laughed outloud when I was reading your response and I think I even snorted.  :D    RE: paid BT Gold plan- I always said I would not pay for any plan...but I am re-thinking this.  I may look into it. The hard part for me is not so much making the training fit my schedule or swithching days to meet mine, it's that some days I dont know if I will work until THAT morning (Im a substitute teacher).  And Im not sure if it just me, but I plan (mentally) what & when I will train that day....hopefully following my training plan.  So when I accept a last-minute job for that day, it completely throws off  my planned workout and by the time I get off work Im in no mood to train, tired, and in the "kid/hw/dinner-mode.  Definitely need to get over it and JUST DO IT!!  

Where are you at with your March goals?  So far here are my #:  Swim:4000/12000 Bike: 60/176 Run: 35/56  Abs:...6/30 (low!!!)

2013-03-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4663428

User image

Master

AKR18 - 2013-03-17 5:28 PM First race of the season- DONE! Today's race was a sprint duathlon- 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. I saw two ladies cut the bike course short (and boy did that tick me off). They did not place but if they had I would have raised bloody hell. It was at an unmarshalled corner and the KNEW what they were doing. I hate that. CHEATERS SUCK. I hoped to finish around 1:20 and I did the race in 1:15, keeping my transitions fairly short. My run pace was under 10 minutes per mile so that made me very happy too. I raced the Athena category and was THRILLED to find out I got first place! award was a nice tall beer glass and it was used well this afternoon. Second place in my division was a newbie who ran the first two miles with me- I coached her on what to do on the bike and told her not to panic when people flew past her, as she was going to be on a hybrid bike and those are harder to ride in a race. my husband was 7th overall and finished 2nd in his age group! Exhausted now- working until bedtime....just wiped out but such a great day!

Awesome Sauce on that race!

2013-03-18 11:51 AM

Oregon

Anne~Awesome on your race!!!! I had better luck on my long run on Saturday eating Oatmeal and eating right after. I didn't feel funky during or after.  I love Luna bars. Right now I've been eating a lot of Cliff bars. My girls like them after basketball practice for the drive home.

Elena & Reenie~ Thanks for your kind words.

2013-03-19 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I think for my March goals I am at 0 abs (going to wore on that core today! Promise!) and my running is 23.6 miles....will definitely get to my goal and hopefully pass it!!!

Swimming is proving hard to fit in for me- ugh. it used to be routine- two days a week, i could fit in at least an hour each time and put my daughter in Y childcare. do not have that here!!!

Hope everyone is doing well- keep it up!!! And yes we are all newbies to some extent here, and that is why we are together in the forum. So keep going!!! It's just one foot in front of the other each day. Even if you are dead tired, if you do something it's better than nothing, right? Because so many people out there do nothing.
2013-03-20 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
GAH!!!

Ladies, I am going crazy- not really on a plan, so I am going to have to create one. I am technically on a HM training plan but with a little extra running so I have an outline of what I am doing....

But my schedule is so screwed up thanks to the move....and not really knowing when Mike will be home...add in the joy of him dragging our oldest to school at 7:15 am and his workouts are screwd up too....we are fitting them in but it's crazy. for instance yesterday he was supposed to come home early so I could run,t hen go to a work dinner. he calls me at 11:30 to say he now had to go to the red sox game with clients and was coming home RighT THEN. I had 35 minutes to fit in a run.

Today I biked an hour- all I had between a playdate and leaving to get my oldest from school. On the way out to swimming lessons, I called mike to ask him if while he was watching the kids, I could leave from swim team/swim lessons early, head home and swim in our community pool (just short of 25 yards) he said sure- then suggested I just pay my $4 and swim there, so I did but it's a 25 meter pool and I am now BEAt.

Add in my shin splints are coming back in my left leg...I know I am overtraining but UGH. Life is so crazy right now- sorry, I just needed to vent. I knwo the solution- write out my training plan and stick to it and don't over train. But still. UGH.
2013-03-21 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4668184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

AKR18 - 2013-03-20 5:10 PM GAH!!! Ladies, I am going crazy- not really on a plan, so I am going to have to create one. I am technically on a HM training plan but with a little extra running so I have an outline of what I am doing.... But my schedule is so screwed up thanks to the move....and not really knowing when Mike will be home...add in the joy of him dragging our oldest to school at 7:15 am and his workouts are screwd up too....we are fitting them in but it's crazy. for instance yesterday he was supposed to come home early so I could run,t hen go to a work dinner. he calls me at 11:30 to say he now had to go to the red sox game with clients and was coming home RighT THEN. I had 35 minutes to fit in a run. Today I biked an hour- all I had between a playdate and leaving to get my oldest from school. On the way out to swimming lessons, I called mike to ask him if while he was watching the kids, I could leave from swim team/swim lessons early, head home and swim in our community pool (just short of 25 yards) he said sure- then suggested I just pay my $4 and swim there, so I did but it's a 25 meter pool and I am now BEAt. Add in my shin splints are coming back in my left leg...I know I am overtraining but UGH. Life is so crazy right now- sorry, I just needed to vent. I knwo the solution- write out my training plan and stick to it and don't over train. But still. UGH.

That's got to be tough.  Sorry Lady!  Hang in there, things will slow down and a routine of sorts will transpire along with a legit training plan. When's your HIM?  Too hard to do everything and be everywhere ALL THE TIME!  NOOOO Shin splints!!!  Luckily mine are gone.  Yay.

Had a good workout today.  Ran 6 after dropping off kids at school.  Drove home, changed into my swimsuit, headed to the gym and swam 1900. ...i forgot to rinse off before stepping into the pool though.  Oops! 

2013-03-22 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4668184

User image

AKR18 - 2013-03-20 6:10 PM GAH!!! Ladies, I am going crazy- not really on a plan, so I am going to have to create one. I am technically on a HM training plan but with a little extra running so I have an outline of what I am doing.... But my schedule is so screwed up thanks to the move....and not really knowing when Mike will be home...add in the joy of him dragging our oldest to school at 7:15 am and his workouts are screwd up too....we are fitting them in but it's crazy. for instance yesterday he was supposed to come home early so I could run,t hen go to a work dinner. he calls me at 11:30 to say he now had to go to the red sox game with clients and was coming home RighT THEN. I had 35 minutes to fit in a run. Today I biked an hour- all I had between a playdate and leaving to get my oldest from school. On the way out to swimming lessons, I called mike to ask him if while he was watching the kids, I could leave from swim team/swim lessons early, head home and swim in our community pool (just short of 25 yards) he said sure- then suggested I just pay my $4 and swim there, so I did but it's a 25 meter pool and I am now BEAt. Add in my shin splints are coming back in my left leg...I know I am overtraining but UGH. Life is so crazy right now- sorry, I just needed to vent. I knwo the solution- write out my training plan and stick to it and don't over train. But still. UGH.

Vent away, Anne. The more I read aboutt he misadventures in having children I am even happier I am just mom to a furbaby.

I am still sidelined with the foot. So the swimming is about all I can do. Anne: I swim a 50 meter pool... When I do the triathlon, it is a 25 meter pool. It is going to be funny for me to switch over I think.

Next Wednesday we will see what the phsyio has to say. Oh and we got dumped on last night with 5 inches of snow. I am heading to a large city tomorrow and I think I am returning home with a n indoor trainer. I haven't been on my bike since I bought it and I want to cry thinking about that. Sorry to hear about the shin splints... :-(

EQUIPMENT QUESTION
Indoor Trainer: What are your thoughts/personal favourites? Thank you!

Also! I was given (YAY!) a pair of cycling shoes. They require clips. I am told they are a universal shoe, so any type of pedal will work in them. I want to know a good newbie pair of clip in pedals. What are your thoughts/opinions on that subject? Thank you!

-Irene

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-03-22 11:07 AM
2013-03-22 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Irene-
My husband is my bike tech. His favorites are Shimano clips. He says there are 3 locks or two lock shoes so - take shoes with you when you buy your pedals!!! Glad he said that because I would have not thought of that.

Sorry about your snow!

I took today off. We went to naples beach tonight for an OWS. Mike went, I watched (and will swim next week on friday). I wanted to see how it works, get if people were relaxed or competitive (relaxed). Looking forward to next week.

I have to try and find my good compresion calf sleeves- I am running 9 miles tomorrow and will be icing for sure afterwards!

My races- I have a crazy running weekend the first weekend of may (5k and 10 k on saturday, 13.1 on sunday) and my HIM is not until the end of october. So I don't even really need to be on a plan yet, except I want to be ready for my running race in May.

2013-03-24 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4671075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Irene:  I have LOOK pedals.  Ik now nothing about them. When trying to purchase some I asked for a mid-line (price) pedals.  Apperantly they can run you hundreds of dollars. I believe mine were about $80. Yay on the free shoes!  Just gave a pair away to a girlfriend. 

Anne: Did you find the sleeves?  And how was your run?  Is the 5k, 10k, and 13.1  part of a "run challenge"?  I've seen those run distances as races lately. 

Friday I Lost the $50 while riding my mtb- had no bike jersey or bike attire on becides a helmet....wore a regular hooded sweatshirt with a front pocket. Had a feeling it could happen but folded the bills around my phone thinking the weight of the phone would keep it in.  I was just heading to pick up my Jeep from getting detailed..kinda a leisurely ride.   When I got to the car wash and realized it was gone, I took the same route home with my head out the window hoping to see my green back.  NOPE.     

Then Saturday...

My daughter received a gift-card from Target aand has been bugging me to take her to get something.  So we went.   I had something to return and they put its worth ($14) on a gift card, which I then told my 6 year old son he could have to buy something for himself.  Stupid me, I handed him the card!  Well can you guess what happens when you give a 6 year old a gift card while in the store?............yep, he set it down and LOST the dang card!!!!!!!  OMG.  I was so mad. More at myself than losing the $14.  So $65 burned. In less than 24 hours.  Ouch.

Challenge update:  Swim: 9400/12000  Bike: 117/175  Run: 51/56  abs:    Not sure I can make that bike goal. Will try hard!

2013-03-25 11:10 PM

User image

Elena: Sucks about the money.. So sorry to hear that. I hate when you lose things of any sort, espcially money. 

RE: Pedals - I got Shimanos, they were about $75. The cleats came with and the lady at the bike shop put them on the shoes for me. Pedals got installed today with the trainer tube, and I put the bike on the trainer by myself (Woot Woot!). I just did 35 minutes and my arse hurts like the devil, but it felt so good to do an exercise that didn't kill my foot. I am wiped though after ballet, strength and conditioning, and the bike.

I have no idea how fast I went on the bike or how much ground I covered. How the heck do you measure that inside...?

Happy Monday... Yay! The weekend just got one day closer :-)

EDIT TO ADD:
Challenge Update:
3/3 strength and conditioning classes done 
2/3 TRX plus Core done
4/6 swim workouts done. I may not meet this one. We'll see what the weekend away entails. 

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-03-25 11:12 PM
2013-03-26 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
majorly bummed....i had to pull out of the HIM I had booked. I booked it in november- still riding high off my marathon. i figured i would train like i did this past summer but i have been told by numerous triathletes down here plus a tri coach that to do a HIM in OCT I would be doing my major training in augst and september which is horribly hot and humid here, and i need a year to get used to the weather.

i really wanted to doo the race but am trying my damnedest to be smart about it.

my run saturday was HOT. 90 percent humidity and 80 degrees. i did take the hill (bridge over highway) twice so that felt good.

yes the 5k, 10k, and 13.1 is part of a challenge. it's the flying pig marathon weekend and that is a special challenge called the 3 Way.

i took yesterday off before withdrawing from my HIM this morning. ugh.
2013-03-27 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4675857

User image

AKR18 - 2013-03-26 7:06 PM majorly bummed....i had to pull out of the HIM I had booked. I booked it in november- still riding high off my marathon. i figured i would train like i did this past summer but i have been told by numerous triathletes down here plus a tri coach that to do a HIM in OCT I would be doing my major training in augst and september which is horribly hot and humid here, and i need a year to get used to the weather.

Anne:
I am soooooooo sorry to hear about your HIM. It is really hot here too in those months, but we at least have dry heat. You do the HIM in August with me and just come and board with my husband and I in the great (now not so white) North.

Good luck with the 3 way.. That sounds like a good challenge! I admire your tenacity to do that. It's a few km short of a full on marathon...

Have a glass of wine or two and be sad.. But I mean at least you aren't sidelined from injury or something. You can still train like you are going to do the HIM. And then next you, you will nail it
:-D

My heart aches for you my friend. I can only imagine your disappointment. Is there another tri event you could train for?

Irene

2013-03-28 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hey gals-

How are we doing on march goals? 3 more days!

running- 45 miles so I will get past my goal and also past 50 this weekend

core work- 0 so that moves to April for me.

Now, technically this runs just through end of march- the mentor forum. But I can keep us going or you can choose to join a new mentor group- totally up to you!

2013-03-28 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
I've met my swim (12000) & run(56) goals! Need 40 for bike. Going for a ride now.
2013-03-28 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4677496

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
AKR18 - 2013-03-28 Now, technically this runs just through end of march- the mentor forum. But I can keep us going or you can choose to join a new mentor group- totally up to you!
I think we should go ahead and close it. Just not enough people for discussion
2013-03-29 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
No worries, elena- I totally understand. Wish we had more people stick with the mentor program!!! But that happens. Maybe try one of the established verteran groups- they can be hard to get in to but they are really good.

I did my first open water ocean swim practice tonight- wetsuit, rolling waves, and red tide (just started a day or so ago so it is not bad- yet). i survived! did about 700-800 yards and then I got out. that was with the current so I was really moving. then the rest of the group swam back against the current and I walked the beach back with another lady. glad i conquered that fear!
2013-03-30 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
last weekend of march!!!

Hope everyone is training well! I had a nice 10 mile run this morning even though my legs were tired. lost track of mileage- i use the app Map My run so every mile a voice announces how many miles i've gone and the time and pace. sometimes i get so lost in running i don't hear the voice. now i have to figure out easter....hoping for an hour to myself later this afternoon so i can grab easter basket stuff for the kids and stop by the farmstand for some fish and produce for easter sunday.

2013-04-01 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
So, how did those march goals wrap up?

I did one day of core (yay) and need to do more, so that forwards on to April. For my run goal, I smashed it, ending up with 55 miles of running. Not bad!

We will probably be moved to the mentor programs archive soon, and for those of you that are ready to move on to another mentor group, please do. I will keep this one going for a bit and see if some of you are still active and training and racing. Thanks for a great 3 months!!!! If you were a newbie, I hope you found some support and learned your away around BT and figured out how to use the training logs. If you were a veteran- well, I'm not sure what I offered, as I'm not too much of a vet myself- but hopefully you found a bit of comraderie these last three months. If you fell out of our group, or off your first of the year plans to become a triathlete- it is NEVER too late!

2013-04-01 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Didn't hit any of the March goals, but April is a new month  Have a bike ride planned for this evening b/f the weather goes back to 40 and rain for another week.  Hopefully this is it and we can get on to some Spring weather now.  
2013-04-03 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Trying to figure out training here- STILL. I do not anticipate any kind of regular routine until the kids are out of school or off to college.

This morning Mike was back on the computrainer, as he is having trouble with the kids schedules and getting outside for rides. I decided that whenever he wakes up to get on the trainer- which is next to the bed- I would get up and go running. It took awhile to convince myself this morning that it was any kind of good idea. Got in 2.7 but had to go in to wake up my oldest daughter so she was ready in time to leave for school.

I know I need to do more of my training early in the morning or really late at night as our humidity and temps rise- but I am just not that excited about doing that!!!! I like having my morning coffee, watching the news, checking emails.....any tips on making myself a morning runner? Or is it just that old deal of doing something 21 times to make it a habit???
2013-04-06 10:50 AM

User image

March Goals: I did all swim workouts and all strength and training and I did 2 of the 3 TRX classes. Sorry I have been out of town visiting family with the Easter holiday AND we got a new puppy so that has kept our hands very full.

I understand the forum is closing? That makes me sad. I enjoyed this little discussion place.

Edited to add April Goals:
Swim: 16000 meters
Run: 20 km (modest, but I am still out for at least another week and a very restricted  return to it when I do return to it)
Bike: I am not sure what to put here. I will say 50 km. Still inside until next weekend. I am not use to the pedals just yet. And I have no idea how to measure my distance inside. 

Thanks for keeping me motivated Anne and Elena.

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-04-06 10:53 AM
2013-04-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4684580

User image

AKR18 - 2013-04-03 5:46 AM  I like having my morning coffee, watching the news, checking emails.....any tips on making myself a morning runner? Or is it just that old deal of doing something 21 times to make it a habit???

I am a morning runner in the late spring, summer, and early fall because where I live is semi-desert climate and the evenings are unbelievably hot. I switch over around end of April by going to bed early (9:30/10ish), getting up early (5 AM) and having a smoothie, throwing on my clothes to run (which I laid out the night before along with my work clothes) and then grabbing the dog (I guess it now may be dogS) and going for a run. I save my long runs for Saturday or Sunday, so I only do shorter runs on the weekdays (10 KM or less). For me, it's all about the prep the evening before. If I get my lunch started for work, lay out all of my clothes, and make sure my bag is ready for work, I am usually good to go. Some days I cannot get out of bed to save my life. Those days happen. I buy a summer membership to the gym that has a nice air conditioned track, so if I didn't get up and I run, worst case scenario I run circles for a while.

I don't know if that helps, Anne... But that is my "coping mechanism" with the early morning run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  

of 9