General Discussion Race Reports! » Sergeant Preston, Yukon King 6 Mile / 5K Memorial Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sergeant Preston, Yukon King 6 Mile / 5K Memorial Run - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Muskegon, Michigan
United States
Runner's Edge
22F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 11s
Overall Rank = 10/138
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

This was an 11:00 a.m. start time so was able to sleep in and have a relaxed morning. Keelyn spent the night at Grandma & Grandpas, who live 10 minutes from the race, so it worked out well.

Had a cup of coffee, bagel & yogurt about 8:45 and then got ready to go. My head cold was still alive and well but wanted to do the race anyway.

I dropped Rachael at my parents house and then went to the race alone. It was cold out and I did not expect them to watch. I was crunched for time. I found a parking spot, checked in, put on race gear, returned bag to car and got a quick 5 minute warm-up in before the race start.
Event warmup:

GU 20 minutes before start.

22 degrees; light wind and snow; snow covered and icy roads.

The course starts with a large hill "Blockhouse Hill" at the start of the second mile and then some rollers through mile 3 before it flattens out although the roads got worse and were covered with hard packed snow (i.e. Ice)
Run
  • 39m 11s
  • 6 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I could hold 6:20s on a good day on this course but today was not that day. I started near the front and was in the top 10 as we came to the first turnaround at 0.5 miles. As we come through mile 1 is when the big climb starts. Already early in the race, I had very little energy which was a weird feeling and knew that this was going to be a rough one.

The roads got worse for snow and ice as we continued on through the course. Their are quite a few small rollers through mile 3 before it flattens out a bit for the remainder. The last 3 miles the roads were horrible (ice) and tough to go fast here. I was able to pass the guy ahead of me with 1 mile to go and thought I could reel a few more in but fell a bit short.

Mile1: 6:22 AHR:165
Mile2: 6:47 AHR:174
Mile3: 6:35 AHR:175
Mile4: 6:46 AHR:177
Mile5: 6:48 AHR:177
Mile6: 6:31 AHR:179
What would you do differently?:

Not be sick.
Post race
Warm down:

1 mile cool-down run and then took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sickness.

Event comments:

This is a tough 6 mile course and is a fun way to start the year. Not many bells and whistles but its only $20!

Last updated: 2012-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:11 | 06 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 10/138
Performance: Below average
Course: Short out and back on Scenic before Blockhouse Hill; rolling hills on Memorial Drive before looping back to Winter Sports Complex. 200 Ft Elevation
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-01-04 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Sergeant Preston, Yukon King 6 Mile / 5K Memorial Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sergeant Preston, Yukon King 6 Mile / 5K Memorial Run Rss Feed