General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-03-14 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4564353

User image

Beantown
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread

Hey guys - any word on registration? are we close to full?

i need to plan my season and living in procrastination-nation trying to get to the finish line of my first Boston marathon

2013-04-08 12:43 PM

My parents live on Lake Winnepesaukee and we generally take our boat as transportation. Does anyone know if there's a public boat dock we can use to get to the race?
2013-04-28 2:17 PM

User image

A recovery week coming up..... Finally!

I have 6 weeks until Eagleman and then time to hit some hills and get ready for Timberman!

2013-04-30 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4691628

User image

NH

jmmoor2 - 2013-04-08 1:43 PM My parents live on Lake Winnepesaukee and we generally take our boat as transportation. Does anyone know if there's a public boat dock we can use to get to the race?

There's really no boat docks I know of you could use for the race.  It's right next to Lakeshore Park if you know anyone there.

2013-04-30 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4638349

User image

NH

I ride and run this course, or at least parts of it, almost every weekend as I have a summer camp at the lake a few miles from the start.  If it wasn't on an island I'd offer everyone to camp on my lawn and bring everyone there race day, but no such luck!

Not to scare anyone, and it's certainly not St George, but if anyone says this bike course is easy they are either uninformed, showing off, or are a significantly better cyclist than me, though I will defer to Paul (pauljra) because he IS a significantly better rider than me!

If anyone is serious about riding the course sometime, keep checking here and I'll keep my eyes open for groups.  I usually ride alone on Saturdays - sometimes the Timberman course to at least to the 11.5 mile mark, sometimes a Gunstock climb and then hit the  Timberman course for a while to do some more recon.

Here's my description of the bike course.  I'll come back in for a road report after I ride it a bit to tell everyone how the roads up there made out over the winter.

The bike course is sneaky hard in that the first 11 1/2 miles are the hardest, so be careful not to burn out trying to maintain whatever goal pace you had in mind from the start.  You do a fairly flat start after a short hill right out of transition, so there's time to get your breath after the swim.  After the climb up Marsh Hill ending at mile 11 1/2, which as stated is steep in parts and will test you, it's a long and fairly uneventful ride to the turnaround.  The prevailing wind is almost always a tailwind here, and the course is almost all downhill for the next 16 1/2 miles, so it's really about staying aero and just maintaining constant effort through that part.  Then the second tricky part hits, because you turn around and two things happen.  First, that tailwind is now a head wind.  Second, that slight downhill is a slight uphill.  Nothing dramatic, but about 13+ miles of steady false flat.  Again, don't get discouraged by your speed and just focus on effort (or power if you use it).  The course does a weird short loop off the main road, and there's another very short fairly steep hill at that point, and then a short rest before climbing the back side of Marsh Hill.  The downhill after climbing Marsh is the place where you will be hitting 40+ even if you sit up, hold you arms out, and try to slow down.  The road can be a little rough in spots there as well, so stay focused.  After that descent it's only about 9 miles to the finish with one hill that climbs about 200 feet in a mile, so not awful but it gets your attention after 50 miles.  The course is also a little short, maybe 55.2.

So overall, I'd say be careful not to overdo the hills, especially at the beginning, and bring a compact crank if you have it unless you're a monster climber.  And hope against hope that this is one of the years with less wind!

2013-05-09 4:14 PM

New user

Just signed up for this....  Coming off the San Jaun 70.3 in March, and ** sigh**  did not get into the Kona Lottery...  Thank you for the great decription of the bike course.  I did the NYC ironman last summer and the bike was BRUTAL...Yell

2013-05-15 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Thanks wbayek. That's a good description. I am definitely interested in a pre ride and run. Sometime in Late July would be best. I'll keep an eye open as well. Post if you hear anything. Thanks.
2013-05-24 12:47 PM
in reply to: Major BC

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Just signed up for this yesterday!  It'll be my first, after my first two Oly's (Trifest June 30 in VT and Nantucket Oly July 21).  So, I'll be pushing the distance up for the Oly's and then have only 4 weeks until Timberman.

So, we shall see!

The reviews of the course above are terrific and very helpful.  Guess I'll keep hitting the hills, even though my second Oly (and until yesterday my only A race) is pancake flat.

SUPER psyched about this one.  Training should be sufficient for it, at least to complete it well, but probably not enough to actually race it.  So, this will be to see what long course is like and then decide what NEXT season's focus will be.

We should get a BT beer (or other suitable recovery bevy) meetup together for post-race, as it sounds like we won't be hitting the road quickly...

See y'all there!

Matt 

2013-05-28 11:55 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Post race sounds great, that is if everyone is still there when I finish
2013-05-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Beantown
Hey now - as an 'old lady' my wave will have just started when the pro's hit T-2! So y'all better stick around

Originally posted by Mike_D

2013-05-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: RedSoxChick

User image

NH
Originally posted by RedSoxChick

Hey now - as an 'old lady' my wave will have just started when the pro's hit T-2! So y'all better stick around

Originally posted by Mike_D

Post race beer tent sounds awesome. I'm racing as a Make-A-Wish racer, so you'll see our setup on the right as you leave for the bike and run. I'm only doing the half relay, so I'll be there watching and if you have BT stuff, or let me know who you are, I'll give you a little extra cowbell to encourage you on.

Actually, last year they put the waves "backwards" from the normal way. First wave was something like women 20-29 and 50+. Relays and women 30-49 were next. They were trying to keep the roads open as little as possible, I know it made for some crowded spots on the bike course.

I did the relay, so we were in the second wave. I actually made it into transition as the first AG'er, which was a surreal moment for me since I'm a ham and egg triathlete. It was very strange to see a completely empty transition area other than the pro rack. I felt like a poser and wanted to let everyone know I was only doing the relay, but it was still a once in a lifetime blast!

2013-05-29 8:41 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

NH
I rode the course Memorial Day. Let’s just say if those are the conditions on race day, we’re all screwed! It was windy, with a capital W, with steady winds in the 20 range and gusts much higher. The worst part was that the wind really picked up as I approached the turn around, so I got the head wind coming back without the benefit of the tail wind going out. Might have been a bit unsafe, at least for someone of my bike handling ability, since I was getting blown all over the place, forget about how hard it was to ride into that type of wind.

The course is no worse in terms of road conditions than last year, so the winter wasn’t overly bad on the roads. There was no new pavement anywhere, so nothing has improved either. There are a few spots which are pretty rough, but not for a very long stretch. The worst is near the end, on the way back, after you turn left instead of going straight up to Gunstock. It’s just a few miles from there to Sawyer’s, and the road is pretty gnarly. Kidney testing. Otherwise the road conditions are fine. I’m struck but what an un-technical course it is. Just a lot of hammering away with your head down. There are very few if any difficult turns.
2013-05-29 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by wbayek

I rode the course Memorial Day. Let’s just say if those are the conditions on race day, we’re all screwed! It was windy, with a capital W, with steady winds in the 20 range and gusts much higher. The worst part was that the wind really picked up as I approached the turn around, so I got the head wind coming back without the benefit of the tail wind going out. Might have been a bit unsafe, at least for someone of my bike handling ability, since I was getting blown all over the place, forget about how hard it was to ride into that type of wind.

The course is no worse in terms of road conditions than last year, so the winter wasn’t overly bad on the roads. There was no new pavement anywhere, so nothing has improved either. There are a few spots which are pretty rough, but not for a very long stretch. The worst is near the end, on the way back, after you turn left instead of going straight up to Gunstock. It’s just a few miles from there to Sawyer’s, and the road is pretty gnarly. Kidney testing. Otherwise the road conditions are fine. I’m struck but what an un-technical course it is. Just a lot of hammering away with your head down. There are very few if any difficult turns.

I've already sent my request to WTC to have calm water, low winds, mild temps, and cold beer at the race this year, so hopefully the wind won't be a problem
2013-05-29 12:03 PM

User image

Beantown
i would be thrilled if they did it 'backwards' again - as i was driving away a few years ago (i was a sherpa) i felt so bad for the ladies (in my age group) that were still running

and yes - i've suffered enough training in bad weather this year - i've earned great race day weather!
2013-06-20 10:25 AM
in reply to: RedSoxChick

User image

Add me to the fun, this will be my first HIM and only second Tri. My first Tri will be a sprint the first weekend in July. I am just looking to be physically ready and then have fun grinding through what will likely be a 7+ hour day.
2013-06-24 8:58 AM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hopeing I can get back on the run training bandwagon asap. Sore hammy is a drag, and having just done a death march 13.1 to finish Patriot last week, I'm not really looking forward to doing that again.

2013-06-24 12:45 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

NH
Good luck with the hammy Mike.

I rode the first/last 12 miles of the course this weekend. There has been some new pavement on the worst parts of the road between route 11 and the Gunstock turn off. They didn't do a full swath of nice smooth pavement. It's that weird thing where they put down what looks like a prep coat, but that is the final version. You northern New Englanders know what I mean I'm guessing.

And they didn't pave the entire distance, but only the absolute worst parts. So the good news is that true kidney pounding, wheel bending holes are fixed, but the road is still pretty dicey in that section.
2013-07-01 3:20 PM

User image

New user

I just did Syracuse 70.3 just over a week ago and someone told me about this race. Clearly the person figured if I did Syracuse, Timberman should not be a surprise. Has anyone done both in order to compare and contrast? I will not have a chance to get up there and ride the course before the race. Btw, what's the weather been in the past on race day? Syracuse was horribly hot and humid. I can't wait for the post-race beer tent.
2013-07-02 6:34 AM
in reply to: alexpena2007

User image

Georgetown, MA
I also did Syracuse, those first 10-15 miles on the bike were tough, especially in the heat. This year will be my first Timberman too so I'd also like to hear any comparison out there.
2013-07-02 10:45 AM
in reply to: jjamesw12

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey New Englanders (others, too, but tougher for non-semi-locals),  

I'm thinking of doing a pre-ride on course, and possibly about half of the run after, on either the Aug. 3/4 weekend or maybe July 28 (but that would be way tougher for me logistically).  Any interest in a one day, up and back sufferfest?

It's easier to self-support with more riders, even if we're at different paces (as long as we ride with phones)...

Matt

2013-07-02 5:58 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I'd love to know about a pre-race ride. I live in Marblehead, Mass. so it's a bit of a haul to get up there, but this is my first 70.3 and I can use all the advantages I can get!

2013-07-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Would love to do that, but logistically/family wise, its not happening. In the meanwhile i'm just looking for lots of hills to ride up.
2013-07-08 4:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey New Englanders (others, too, but tougher for non-semi-locals),  

I'm thinking of doing a pre-ride on course, and possibly about half of the run after, on either the Aug. 3/4 weekend or maybe July 28 (but that would be way tougher for me logistically).  Any interest in a one day, up and back sufferfest?

It's easier to self-support with more riders, even if we're at different paces (as long as we ride with phones)...

Matt

I'd be interested in at least the bike portion either or both days. Let me know when you're planning to be there and I'll do everything I can to meet up at Ellacoya. You can probably park right there unless there is an event going on. There are lots of people on the course these days, so we'd likely see other cyclists as well.

Any idea what your bike pace might be just so we have an idea? I rode the course July 4th at about 215 watts in 2:50. I just got power a few weeks ago and I'm trying to dial in the correct effort level. Easier would be ok with me as well.

Edited by wbayek 2013-07-08 4:39 AM
2013-07-08 8:26 PM

I'm heading north this weekend for some father daughter bonding on the Timberman course. I'm not from the area, and I'm not familiar with the roads, so I'm hoping you can help! I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give on the road conditions. I'm already nervous about the hills, but what's the traffic like on an average weekend? Can we ride the whole course or will we be dodging heavy traffic in some places? It looks like most people park just inside the park? Any other words of wisdom? This will be my first Timberman and 70.3, and I can't wait! Happy training and hope to see some of you this weekend or in August! Thanks!
2013-07-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: AllisonLN

User image

If you are planning on being there this weekend (7/13-7/14) be warned that NASCAR is in town and I am pretty sure the race course goes right past the track so traffic will be no where near normal. On a normal weekend, at least earlier in the season I found road to be fine to ride. The busiest one had a full width shoulder you could ride in.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8