Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-01-17 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4574544

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Dedicated Ketosis Thread

Doing some research and came across this Keto-friendly product!  A local bike shop sells it, so I went in to check it out.  The guy at the shop that uses it, races 24-hour mountain bike races, said it works great.  I bought a few packs to try it.  Now I just need to get healthy!

http://www.generationucan.com/home.html

2013-01-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4583505

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
AbbieR - 2013-01-17 8:07 PM

Doing some research and came across this Keto-friendly product!  A local bike shop sells it, so I went in to check it out.  The guy at the shop that uses it, races 24-hour mountain bike races, said it works great.  I bought a few packs to try it.  Now I just need to get healthy!

Cinnie mentins this on his podcast. I tweeted him about it, or faebook I think. I asked if it's really just another highly processed ""superstarxch" doesn't that sound a lot like he things he preaches to avoid...l he ha a solid answer for me. H said yeah that's why I don't gt them as a full on sponsor yetl he doesn't want to push that kind of thing generally, but when you're out for 6 i or 12 hours in the heat, his usual olive oil and cream cheese don't work out so well. For someone oing fully ketogenic, it wouldn't be something ou would use for several hours. It's not cheap.

I've also heard Ben Greenfield mention it positively, and their site science points to some tused names from the low carb world.

I will be getting some as I et closer to my half iron.

abbie, it sounds like you are really psyched about this keto thing. I would recommend that Volek and Phinney book as a starting guide. Also check out podcasts and blogs from Jimmy Moore, Abel James at fat buring man, Jonathan Bailor at smarter science of slim, Ben Greenfield, and I just found Relentless Roger and Caveman Doctor. For general paleo, latest in paleo is excellent.

2013-01-17 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4583749

User image

Pro
NorCal
TheClaaaw - 2013-01-17 8:07 PM
AbbieR - 2013-01-17 8:07 PM

Cinnie mentins this on his podcast. I tweeted him about it, or faebook I think. I asked if it's really just another highly processed ""superstarxch" doesn't that sound a lot like he things he preaches to avoid...l he ha a solid answer for me. H said yeah that's why I don't gt them as a full on sponsor yetl he doesn't want to push that kind of thing generally, but when you're out for 6 i or 12 hours in the heat, his usual olive oil and cream cheese don't work out so well. For someone oing fully ketogenic, it wouldn't be something ou would use for several hours. It's not cheap.

I've also heard Ben Greenfield mention it positively, and their site science points to some tused names from the low carb world.

I will be getting some as I et closer to my half iron.

abbie, it sounds like you are really psyched about this keto thing. I would recommend that Volek and Phinney book as a starting guide. Also check out podcasts and blogs from Jimmy Moore, Abel James at fat buring man, Jonathan Bailor at smarter science of slim, Ben Greenfield, and I just found Relentless Roger and Caveman Doctor. For general paleo, latest in paleo is excellent.

Different nutrition strategies fascinate me and I like playing around with it.  I don't believe there is a blueprint way for EVERYONE to eat.  

About me....Have been dealing with acid reflux for years and have figured out a way to control it through what I eat.  I hated the thought I popping a pill everyday before meals....when I was 32 my mom gave a "bedazzled" pill-box and it made me feel like a little old lady, carrying my meds.  Granted I know there are tons of people that do need to take meds on a daily basis, but if I could avoid that, I really wanted to give it a shot.  Based on my tests my DR told me my condition was mild compared to many of his patients.  

So I really paid attention to not only what I ate, but how it made me feel....I narrowed down my "trigger foods" most of which are breads/cereal/rice/pasta/oatmeal/beans and either avoid them completely or eat one of 2 bites.  It's been years since I've popped a pill for my acid reflux.

I find Keto very interesting...just as I have read a ton about Vegans, Paleo, Juicing, etc. I was strict Paleo a few years ago and somehow fell from grace and let sugar back into my life on occasion. Over the past few days I guess I've been Keto-Paleo, basically Paleo but eating more fat than I normally would.  Guess I will see how things go once I am healthy again

2013-01-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4583500

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
TheClaaaw - 2013-01-17 6:59 PM

Is Slow Burn this book? http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Faster-Exercising-ebook/dp/B005O078... focus there seems to be n he whoe zone 2 fat burning thing.

I think so, it has a different cover then the version I read but the same author. It does focus on the training too, but he talks a bit about high fat / low carb eating. I haven't read it in many years, but it was the first introduction I had to a lower-carb lifestyle for endurance athletes so it sticks out in my mind.

I too like the Ben Greenfield podcasts. I haven't listened to them in a while, I need to go catch up!

Abbie, I feel similarly. I LOVE researching and learning about all the nutritional styles out there. I too have medical issues and hate the idea of medications. Not only that, but modern medicine was failing me, my dr keeps telling me something is really wrong but they simply cannot figure it out. I've been slowly getting better by finding and eliminating triggers/allergens but I unfortunately keep finding more foods I react to. I've been wheat free for many years now and gluten free for maybe 2 or 3? That hes helped immensely, but still doesn't explain/fix everything. So I'm keeping my eyes opened and continuing my research to hopefully finally find what works for me.
2013-01-18 12:46 PM

User image

SE North Carolina

2 questions:

how long does it take your body to get into ketosis

where do you buy the strips to check to see if your into it...

2013-01-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4584765

User image

Pro
NorCal
MANDOWN - 2013-01-18 10:46 AM

2 questions:

Don't know the answer to first question but the strips are at CVS, in the section where diabetic meters are.  My local CVS was out of them though.  You can buy them online as well.

Edited by AbbieR 2013-01-18 1:36 PM

2013-01-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4584765

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
MANDOWN - 2013-01-18 1:46 PM

2 questions:

It's different for everyone, 3-4 days and you should start seeing ketones in your urine. To get the full benefit and recover from Ketosis Flu is different for everyone. I had mild symptoms for the first week, and started feeling the full energy at the 3-4 weeks point.

If you are regularly eating sugar, you might get worse withdrawal symptoms from that. When i quit sugar, the first week was hell, although I was badly addicted to the stuff.

All the pharmacies sell the strips.

2013-01-18 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Listening to a lot fo Relentless Roger and Caveman Doctor. In their episode from their takeaways of the Ancestral Health Symposium 2012, they mention a lack of discussion on salt.

When going very very low carb, like ketosis, you need to up your salt usually. Especially with the massive water shedding you will do, a process I noticed right away, a lot of low energy can be connected with low salt. High fat also means high soldium, which is another mental hurdle to get over, but if you've acceped high fat, hey jump all the way in.

So if you're planning to transition, get lots of salt.

2013-01-19 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4585569

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
TheClaaaw - 2013-01-18 10:34 PMWhen going very very low carb, like ketosis, you need to up your salt usually. Especially with the massive water shedding you will do, a process I noticed right away, a lot of low energy can be connected with low salt. High fat also means high soldium, which is another mental hurdle to get over, but if you've acceped high fat, hey jump all the way in.

Almost passed out a few times during the first two weeks when i first tried Ketosis. Finally read about salt, increased it and have had no problems since. I always liked salty, so did not mind. The funny thing is even though I salt my food and buy salty butter, in my last Blood work, my sodium was a bit low :-)

2013-01-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4585788

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
outlandluc - 2013-01-19 8:37 AM
TheClaaaw - 2013-01-18 10:34 PMWhen going very very low carb, like ketosis, you need to up your salt usually. Especially with the massive water shedding you will do, a process I noticed right away, a lot of low energy can be connected with low salt. High fat also means high soldium, which is another mental hurdle to get over, but if you've acceped high fat, hey jump all the way in.

Almost passed out a few times during the first two weeks when i first tried Ketosis. Finally read about salt, increased it and have had no problems since. I always liked salty, so did not mind. The funny thing is even though I salt my food and buy salty butter, in my last Blood work, my sodium was a bit low :-)

I can't wait for my next bloodwork. It was already good last time, but I fully expect to have almost no triglycerides and great sodium, on a bacon based diet.

2013-01-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4585905

User image

Pro
NorCal
TheClaaaw - 2013-01-19 8:04 AM
outlandluc - 2013-01-19 8:37 AM

I can't wait for my next bloodwork. It was already good last time, but I fully expect to have almost no triglycerides and great sodium, on a bacon based diet.

There is a TV show called US of Bacon! LOL

2013-01-19 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

Finally had my first real workout in 12 days!  Darn plague!  

Came home and had a scramble of: 1 whole egg, eggs whites, onions, mushrooms and 2 slices of Canadian bacon.  Cooked it in coconut oil.  Then had a small grapefruit.  That will be my only fruit for the day.

What is everyone eating? 

2013-01-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4586020

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

AbbieR - 2013-01-19 1:06 PMWhat is everyone eating? 

Two slices of Coconut flour bread with Peanut Butter and jam (Made with Xylitol), and a big glass of whole milk for breakfast. Two Italian sausages with guacamole and some raw sweet peppers for lunch. Supper will be a t-bone steak with a plate full of vegetables. I'll be adding a mix of onions, sweet peppers and mushrooms cooked in olive oil to my steak, as well as butter and salt to the veggies. 

I vary the meat and what i put on toasts everyday, but this is standard for what I ate when loosing 100 lbs from November 25 to June 01 last year.

From July (After my triathlon) last year to January, i reintroduced some carbs and bread as I was no longer trying to loose weight. I also had to increase amount of foods as training was making me hungry. Now I am trying to loose more weight, so back to severe Low carbs.

2013-01-19 3:14 PM

South Wales, UK
Just needed a spot of advice.............. I have been reading about mark sisson but more accurately about his wife's diet. I can't find a lot, other than the fact that she eats cheese,full fat yogurt, cream and fish.along with a herd of fruit, veg, nuts, seeds as a regular primal diet. she doesnt have Red meat or poultry. This would be a diet that I could readily follow as I do not sit well with red meat or poultry. Would this type of eating lead to ketosis? Thanks in advance x
2013-01-19 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4586181

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

diane.b - 2013-01-19 4:14 PM Just needed a spot of advice.............. I have been reading about mark sisson but more accurately about his wife's diet. I can't find a lot, other than the fact that she eats cheese,full fat yogurt, cream and fish.along with a herd of fruit, veg, nuts, seeds as a regular primal diet. she doesnt have Red meat or poultry. This would be a diet that I could readily follow as I do not sit well with red meat or poultry. Would this type of eating lead to ketosis? Thanks in advance x

Even full fat yogurt is high in sugar, that or the fruits would take you out of Ketosis. It's near impossible to stay in Ketosis on a diet without meat

2013-01-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4577912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

MANDOWN - 2013-01-14 2:09 PM I started this diet today. Ive tried Atkins in the past, while working out and running and about two or three weaks into it my energy level was so low i had to stop. i couldnt even make it a mile and a half without feeling like absolute crap. now I see if I stuck with it I may have made it another week and felt better. I also listen to Vinny Tortorich, it will be interesting to see how it goes. im going to stick with it as long as possible. I hope my energy level comes back quick though. ive signed up for a half ironman in the first week of April.... The best thing so far was a protein shake for lunch I made with heavy cream and some low carb protein powder and ice. It was actually pretty good..

I do this same shake, but add some instant coffee, a little Truvia and cinnamon.  I am in heaven every time I have this!

2013-01-19 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

I have been following the ketogenic diet since June.  In that time, I lost about 25 pounds without any exercise.  I know that my macros aren't spot on, but I would rather do almost anything than log my foods.  However, I think that it's getting to the point where I need to start logging everything.  I didn't go through the keto flu but I think it was because I had been following South Beach prior to keto.  But even without getting my macros just right, I have never felt better in my life.  I have more energy than I've ever had before.  Now when I eat sugar or other carbs, I either get a horrible headache or I become lethargic.

Our diet consists of beef, veggies, some chicken (with added fats), lots of butter, heavy cream, half and half, cream cheese and cheddar cheeses.  I'm doing more cooking now than I ever have and am enjoying the challenge of recreating old recipes and finding new ones that meet our low-carb requirements.

2013-01-19 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Lots of great low carbs recipes on the following site.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

2013-01-20 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Texas

I am one of those dorks who can't stop doing research on things. I have really gone back and forth over if I want to pursue actual ketosis, or just lower grains/sugars for the long term. I have been a vegetarian/vegan (I go in phases) for about 18 months, so this presents a few challenges a long the way. For this experimental process I have added in cream, butter, and some fish. Looking around online you will find people with extreme opinions on both sides of the ketosis argument. I found this forum thread this morning and am curious about others' take on it:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26400

Just curious and looking for a more balanced set of opinions as I am trying to decide what the best long term approach will be for me.

2013-01-20 3:27 PM

User image

SE North Carolina
So this is the end of my first week, I started his last Monday. My energy level is about down to nothing. I was suppose to ride 30 miles today and managed to tuff out 20 at one of the slowest paces ever. Of course a 12 mph wind didnt help. Im trying to keep my carbs below 40 a day, hopefully by the end of next week Ill be able to check to see where Im at in all this if I make it that far. I wouldnt mind that much but Im trying to train for a half ironman in April so there isnt much time to spare. Im gonna try to increase my intake to see if that helps at all....
2013-01-20 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4586972

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

MANDOWN - 2013-01-20 4:27 PM So this is the end of my first week, I started his last Monday. My energy level is about down to nothing. I was suppose to ride 30 miles today and managed to tuff out 20 at one of the slowest paces ever. Of course a 12 mph wind didnt help. Im trying to keep my carbs below 40 a day, hopefully by the end of next week Ill be able to check to see where Im at in all this if I make it that far. I wouldnt mind that much but Im trying to train for a half ironman in April so there isnt much time to spare. Im gonna try to increase my intake to see if that helps at all....

Your body is adapting to burning fat as fuel, and it takes sometimes for the changes to happen. The low lasts about 2 weeks, and then you don't feel very energized but you're no longer on a low. At about 3-4 weeks you get a burst of energy that stays as long as you're low carbs. If you cheat and come off Ketosis, you don't have to wait another 4 weeks, 2 days of low carbs gets the energy back.

One thing I did not see mentioned and is important. Once you're burning fat for fuel, be prepared for the consequences of a high carbs meal. When I cheat and i've heard others mention the same consequence, there is a constant and needed release of noxious gas :-)

My wife usually banishes me to the couch, as it continues even while asleep. As she once said "She'd be afraid to light a match"  :-)

Makes me wonder what the food is doing to my body :-)

2013-01-20 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4586972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

MANDOWN - 2013-01-20 3:27 PM So this is the end of my first week, I started his last Monday. My energy level is about down to nothing. I was suppose to ride 30 miles today and managed to tuff out 20 at one of the slowest paces ever. Of course a 12 mph wind didnt help. Im trying to keep my carbs below 40 a day, hopefully by the end of next week Ill be able to check to see where Im at in all this if I make it that far. I wouldnt mind that much but Im trying to train for a half ironman in April so there isnt much time to spare. Im gonna try to increase my intake to see if that helps at all....

How is your fat intake?

2013-01-21 9:42 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
I would say my fat intake is above what it has been, I have been putting cream cheese in my eggs and having it in some of my lunches, mayonaise and chicken or tuna for lunch. And a low carb protein shake with the heavy cream. I have to run for an hour today so that should be interesting. Im gonna stick with it though.
2013-01-22 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Has anyone GAINED weight following this?
2013-01-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4589393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

AbbieR - 2013-01-22 11:46 AM Has anyone GAINED weight following this?

Since I started my training (a little over 2 weeks), I have gained about 3 pounds.  I suspect that I've got carbs sneaking in so I'm going to be tracking my food for the next 2 weeks to see what is going wrong.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  

of 15