Ohio River Road Runners Club
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 57s
Overall Rank = 38/165
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

I sat dumbfounded by a 62 degree day in the middle of January in Ohio.
Event warmup:

Walking from where I parked my car to the registration table then back to the car then to the start was enough of a warmup for me.
Run
  • 1h 13m 57s
  • 8.2 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Random thought time!

-I hate running in mud. Especially in super old running shoes that have zero traction. I felt like every time we hit a muddy patch I slowed to snail speed.

-While I was fording the creek for the second time up to my knees in water I thought "and this is why I don't do trail races"

-I also fell which hardly ever happens. I didn't feel too bad at the time but my hip was sore the next day. And after I fell I lost a bit of my edge out there. Every time I got to a slick spot or especially muddy spot I thought, "It ain't worth breaking an ankle over" and slowed down.

-According to post-race gossip someone actually did break an ankle out there. That might explain the ambulance that almost ran me over post-race.

-I got really thirsty out there. I was behind this same guy for a few miles and he had a water bottle attached to his waist. I spent those few miles pondering the best approach to getting a drink from him. "Should I just ask? Or maybe grab the bottle as I run by and then just keep going? I mean that would provide motivation for running the race faster right? But oh wait the flu is going around. What if this dude has the flu? But then he wouldn't be doing an 8 mile trail race would he? And what if it isn't water but some kind of crappy non-blue Gatorade? Or Heed. Oh God I hate Heed"

-Does it make me a d-bag for out-sprinting a 57 year old at the finish? I think it sort of does. But then again it is a race. Looking back at my previous race reports this is a common theme. I'm the Michael Jordan of out-sprinting 50 year old dudes to lock down that coveted Top 40 finish.

-I tried to cross the creek a third time but was saved by a fellow runner from heading off course. I salute you Mr. listened to the race director's pre-race instructions instead of running into the bushes to pee guy.

What would you do differently?:

Wear shoes with traction. Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

While recovering from the disappointment of not finishing in the Top 3 of my age group I sauntered over to the food table where they had two crockpots full of chili! I pounded a bowl of the chicken variety and then added some nachos and about six cookies. FEED ME MORE! FEED ME MORE!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Old shoes. Wimping out on those 70 degree muddy downhills with an s curve at the bottom.

Event comments:

Chili afterwards was awesome. I wish they would have had one more water stop out there but I should have checked pre-race and brought a bottle of water with me.

Last updated: 2013-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:57 | 08.2 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 38/165
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3