General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
Questor Multisport & Set Up Events
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 57s
Overall Rank = 84/165
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I'll preface this long race report with some background. This was my first HIM and first triathlon in over a year and a half. I focused on my running starting October 2011 using the BarryP program. Slowly, but surely, I built up my running to the point where I wanted to do a half marathon. Well that led to wanting to get back into triathlon and then to a HIM. I felt very comfortable and confident going into this race. Couldn't wait for the date to arrive!

I drove down to KW on Thursday morning and got settled in. Took the day off from doing anything and just did some easy workouts in each discipline on Friday. It's easy to do too much walking around Key West so I kept off my feet most of the time. Stayed hydrated and kept my food intake normal for the most part. So here we go with the race report:

Woke up at 4:30. Well, I should say the alarm was set for 4:30 but I had a restless sleep, so I was awake well before the alarm. Didn't really sleep well the night prior, either. Got up and made some breakfast: couple blueberry bagels with pb, a banana and a couple glasses of skim milk. Took a shower.

Headed to transition around 5:15. Hotel was ten minutes away which made it an easy walk. Bike was checked in night before so I was carrying everything else this morning. Set up my area. Luckily I had a headlamp since they only had a couple lights throughout. Transition was a couple tennis courts, so it was fenced in and had a good surface. I was able to get everything set up without issue. Got my good karma for the day as a bunch of people borrowed my bike pump. Driving down to Key West made it easy to throw anything and everything in the car. Some of these people flew, which made their choice of what to pack difficult. I left transition and got body marked. The kid who marked me made the biggest numbers I've ever seen. Needless to say, the numbers got smeared on everything during the day. lol

Walked back to the hotel to rest up since the half wasn't going off until 8 and it wasn't even 5:45 yet. Chilled on the bed for a bit then headed back to transition at 7 to catch a trolley to swim start. I took a couple sips of the liquid shot as I left the hotel then again as we left for swim. I was drinking gatorade the last hour.
Event warmup:

Got to the swim start around 7:30, plenty of time to get ready and warmup. I was in the first wave at 8am. Just killed time until the start. I swam for a little bit to get warmed up. We watched the full swimmers going by out by the buoys.
Swim
  • 44m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a bit of a washing machine at the beginning. Some guys were still walking/ running out and some were swimming. I was swimming. Only a little bit of contact throughout the swim. Kept a good pace and had no problem sighting. There was a light chop to the water, until we go towards the orange buoy, then it got fun; We had 3-4 foot swells so it was a little hard to get out to the buoy. Luckily I swam in water like this during training so I wasn't worried. On the way back in my hamstrings decided to cramp up, especially the right one. Oh man it hurt! Not really sure why this happened, I was barely kicking. Maybe in hindsight I was trying too hard not to use my legs that it led to this. Lost a good couple minutes trying to stretch them out. Got a good whack to the head as I swam in. Finally got to the stairs and climbed out. Ran along the pier, unzipped and got to the strippers, kept my cap and goggles on so I didn't have to carry anything. They were occupied so it took a few extra seconds, then my suit got stuck on my foot when they did try to yank it off. I think I'll try some glide on the shin/ankle area next time. Saw a young guy doing this on the trolley over. Maybe even just do my wetsuit myself. Then ran to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Just keep up my training and try to get faster. The timing was all the way until transition, swim time would be much quicker without the run.
Transition 1
  • 06m 9s
Comments:

Got to transition and then my spot. Took my time since this is a long day. No need to rush my first. Hung up my suit on the fence and left my cap and goggles on the ground. There were a couple older gents around so we chatted up the swim while getting ready. It was a nice, laid-back atmosphere. So, toweled off a bit, sprayed on more sunscreen, took a squirt of liquid shot and some water, got my socks and shoes on, then helmet and walked the bike out.

As I do more, it will get a bit faster.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Right off the bat I had to pee. Should had stopped right at the run aid station at mile 2. I held off until first bike station at 14.7. Made it a bit harder to take in nutrition. Next time I will.

Took it easy for the first couple miles, then settled in. Was trying to keep my target power and I think I did a great job. The wind was pretty strong so I just kept it easy. Bike fit made a huge deal on a day like today; it felt like I wasn't having to use as much energy to maintain speed in the headwind. Just need time and training to get with the big dogs.

Chain dropped when shifting around mile 20. I tried to work it back onto the small ring, but couldn't so I pulled over to fix it. A couple latex gloves go into my pack next time. lol My right hand was a mess even after wiping it off in the grass. So this took just a few minutes and I was off again. Some of the quick women started coming by.

Ride was uneventful the rest of the way until the turnaround. I did have a bloated feeling in my stomach for most of the ride the more liquid shot I took in. I tried to hold off on taking in anything other than water after awhile, so my nutrition wasn't to plan. Not sure if this was due to the small amount of seawater I swallowed or what. Something to work on for next time.

Another thing of note was passing others. Some sections of the shoulder were only a few feet wide, so there wasn't much to be done, but where the shoulder was pretty wide, some riders still rode on the left edge, making passing a bit dangerous when the traffic picked up. I tried to keep right as much as possible. Some stretches had debris, but for the most part the road was clean and easy to stay right.

Got to the turnaround and just missed the group that was let through by the sheriff, so I and a small group had to wait a couple minutes while they let the cars go. Since Highway 1 is the only way in or out, we knew this might happen. By the way the police did a great job of directing traffic, no issues the entire time. We took off, did a short out and back on a side road, then headed back home. I stopped at an aid station just a few miles down the road and got my water bottle filled. The way back felt so good with the tailwind. Just love that feeling of flying along. I still kept my power within spec so I wasn't hammering it or anything. I tried to keep drinking at regular intervals but still couldn't take in much nutrition each time.

The road got pretty rough towards the end, got bounced around pretty good. I was able to stay aero but had to readjust my position after the big shocks. There was one memorable overpass that I got to the other side, hit the joint, and my torpedo bottle got launched out. Luckily the aero bars kept it from going too far. The rest of the back stretch was somewhat lonely. Didn't encounter too many other cyclists. Got back to town and into transition without issue.

Wanted to say the volunteers at all the aid stations were great. Some really got into it with signs and music so it got a good laugh to help break up the monotony of a long bike ride.

Like the swim, just more training. Just got my tri bike a few months ago, so haven't put in a ton of miles yet.
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Got to the dismount, stopped, unclipped and then tried to run with the bike. Legs felt like rubber so that lasted a few steps. lol Walked the rest of the way to my rack. Racked the bike, took my helmet off, got my shoes off. Put on more sunscreen, got visor, sunglasses and running shoes on. Took a swig of water, then took off jogging.

Nothing. More experience will make this faster.
Run
  • 2h 31m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh, boy. Another tough run in the Florida heat. This one felt almost identical to my last tri run at Siesta Key. Was better prepared to deal with it, but it was still tough. When I got off the bike and saw how crusty with salt my shorts were I knew what to expect.

Started off the run nice and easy out of transition, wanted to keep the pace slower than normal. The first 5k was spent feeling out my body. Didn't feel too bad for having been going for almost 4 hours. Legs were a little tired but okay. I had to pee again so I hit the first aid station. Man, it was like walking into a sauna. Did my business and got the hell out. Grabbed some water and heed from the first station, then kept going. I started to feel the first twinges of cramps creeping up.

The run went south towards the end of the first 5k. I got to the end of the first out leg then my hammies started locking up. The entire run was a cycle of running, cramping, walking, running, walking, cramping. lol So it was a bit of a struggle. Some parts there were no cramps but I was just tired. The mental aspect is one thing I really want to work on; to be able to push through the fatigue and keep going. Cramps, yeah I had to stop for those, but I found it too easy to just stop running and walk. Especially when you see others doing it too.

As for nutrition, I tried various combos at each station: coke, heed(tasted awful),tap water, enduralytes, ice, bananas, bagels. They also had this water in a pouch that didn't taste very good, can't remember the name. Just kept downing something and drinking something. So, again more stuff to work on for the next time.

The last 5 miles were pretty tough. One funny thing of note: There was a guy who I saw on the bike where we went back and forth passing, and now here we were going back and forth during the run. Funny stuff. He would pass me for a bit, then walk. I would get going again and pass him, then walk. We did this for probably 4-6 miles, don't remember exactly. I also started to feel pain in my left foot. The same tendonitis that I'd been feeling now and again for the last few weeks, which I thought was from my tri shoes since the pain was right where the strap was, but now was worried it was running induced. Turns out it's my posterior tibial tendon. Have to monitor it the next couple weeks.

I think I scared a family sitting on the sidewalk by the southernmost point marker. I crossed the street and right before I got to the other side my left hammie locked up. So I let out a couple choice words and sounds right next to them as I stopped to stretch it out.

I passed by the finish area then headed towards downtown proper (The run was originally going to finish on Duval but got moved to the outskirts.) Had to dodge a few bystanders on the sidewalks, but nothing too bad. There was a volunteer at each turn to help direct and the painted arrows on the ground really helped. The run through Duval could have been more memorable, but I was tired and dragging. Got a cheer from one of the balconies so that helped a bit. Ran back out towards the finish area. I pushed through to the end and finished.

Still trying to crack that cramp code. So will just keep working on hydration and nutrition. Need to get more training done during the heat of the day. My schedule is usually early morning and at night.
Post race
Warm down:

Just got a Coke and a slice of pizza. Two of my favorite foods but not at that particular time. I was tired and sore, so I sat down for a couple minutes. The finish was at the northwest area of KW and transition was southeast, with my hotel in between. Walked back to the hotel, got changed then went back to transition to get my gear. Back to the hotel again for a shower, then off to get some grub.

Event comments:

This was a fun race. It was tough but enjoyable. I'm sure it's hard to put on an event in Key West in terms of logistics, you can't really close off many sections of road or walks. Plenty of support throughout, well organized. Highly recommended. Would love to do next year's but they moved it back a week to New Year's weekend, so due to work I won't be able to make it.

Last updated: 2012-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:17 | 2112 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/165
Performance: Average
Suit: Bluseventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Swam out about 100 yards to yellow buoy then angled out to green buoys and headed southwest about 1000 yards towards pier. Angled out again left towards orange buoy and back right, sort of a v, towards the last green buoy closer to land, left again to another pier and the steps out.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:22 | 56 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back along Highway 1. Brutal headwind. Riding the shoulder with traffic. Some sections of pavement were the old, gray asphalt which got pretty rough, especially towards the end. The expansion joints at the beginning and end of the overpasses gave a good jolt too. Otherwise the course was flat and fast.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:31:41 | 13.1 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Two laps out and back along the ocean walk including the pier, then final 5k through downtown Key West including Duval St. A stretch was in the shade, but for the most part the run was in the sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-14 9:22 PM

New user

Subject: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course

2013-01-15 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4578682

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course
Congrats on your finish and race from a fellow finisher. Your report is right on and I have the same issue with cracking the code with the cramps. Almost had to roll across the finish line it was so bad at the end.
2013-01-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4578881

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
hypersteve--wow, what a great race report.  Thanks for sharing.  Congrats on your race finish.  I would have been elated to have had your times in my 60-64M AG.  I just gotta learn how to run as fast as you.  :-)
2013-01-15 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on this tri.  It sounds like fun!
2013-01-15 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4578881

New user

topolina - 2013-01-15 6:27 AM Congrats on your finish and race from a fellow finisher. Your report is right on and I have the same issue with cracking the code with the cramps. Almost had to roll across the finish line it was so bad at the end.

Thanks and congrats to you as well. Yeah, isn't the whole cramping thing crazy? We just have to keep plugging away and hope we get it right.

Steve

2013-01-15 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4578963

New user

spearit - 2013-01-15 7:51 AM hypersteve--wow, what a great race report.  Thanks for sharing.  Congrats on your race finish.  I would have been elated to have had your times in my 60-64M AG.  I just gotta learn how to run as fast as you.  :-)

Spearit thank you. And also congrats. It's so tough piecing it all together. We'll get there.

Steve

2013-01-15 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4579558

New user

KWDreamun - 2013-01-15 12:25 PM Congrats on this tri.  It sounds like fun!

Thank you!

2013-01-23 2:15 PM

User image

Congrats on your race! I LOVED your report! It was funny and it seemed even with all the cramping you were dealing with what was going on and you had a good time!  Someday I will get to a HIM!! thanks for sharing your experience!
2013-01-23 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4591472

New user

Pixiedustlady - 2013-01-23 2:15 PM Congrats on your race! I LOVED your report! It was funny and it seemed even with all the cramping you were dealing with what was going on and you had a good time!  Someday I will get to a HIM!! thanks for sharing your experience!

Thank you, Pixiedust. I did have a good time. Key West is a fun place to begin with, so having a race there was great. Keep plugging along, you'll get to a HIM! It just takes time to get mentally and physically confident to tackle one.

Steve

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed