General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to breathe when running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-17 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4583169

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: How to breathe when running?
90% of my running, I don't give it a second thought.  Or even a FIRST thought.  I just run and breathing just  happens.  ONLY when I'm doing a hard effort like an LT test or 10k race do I try to do anything to regulate it.  I'm trying to go from memory, but I think I focus more on in through the mouth/out through the nose than rate or belly/chest.

2013-01-17 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4582143

User image

Expert
McAllen
TriSte - 2013-01-17 6:26 AM

Up to 5k pace 3 in, 2 out.  Faster than 5k pace 2 in 2 out.

When I first started training I switched from "not thinking about it" to the 3-2 as a way help stop stitches (among many other urban legend remedies).

Now its just stuck because thats what I did for so long.

bahaha true this. Well I've tried belly breathing for the past three runs, I'll give it another week but I don't think its won me over. I get side stitches something fierce when I try to belly breathe. My lung capacity is pretty large (backdoor brag), so I think I'll stick to chest breathing. If it aint broke don't fix it!

2013-01-17 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4583410

User image

odpaul7 - 2013-01-17 5:37 PM
TriSte - 2013-01-17 6:26 AM

Up to 5k pace 3 in, 2 out.  Faster than 5k pace 2 in 2 out.

When I first started training I switched from "not thinking about it" to the 3-2 as a way help stop stitches (among many other urban legend remedies).

Now its just stuck because thats what I did for so long.

bahaha true this. Well I've tried belly breathing for the past three runs, I'll give it another week but I don't think its won me over. I get side stitches something fierce when I try to belly breathe. My lung capacity is pretty large (backdoor brag), so I think I'll stick to chest breathing. If it aint broke don't fix it!

Think of your lungs as a balloon that is glued to your ribs on the side and diaphragm on the bottom.  Your lungs have no muscle.  You bring air into your lungs by pulling your ribs apart or lowering your diaphragm.  This sucks air into your lungs.  If you can learn to use your diaphragm as well as your ribs, you'll be bringing more air in and having more air is a great thing.  Try the exercises in this video.  This comes with practise.  It takes time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuxdJJyHtaA

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to breathe when running? Rss Feed  

of 2