General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri Training, first one Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-15 8:52 PM

Subject: Sprint Tri Training, first one
Hello, I am new to the forum and had a question. I have been running 5Ks & 10ks for a few years and just recently did my first half marathon.  There is a sprint tri coming up in my area (in 12 weeks) that i wanted to try but I will be very limited on swim training till about 4 weeks before the event due to the cold weather and no access to an indoor or heated pool. My question, is this possible? I can swim well but its been ages since I've done anything like this in the water.  My plan was to overkill the bike and run training in hopes it would offset the 440 yard swim. I would end up with 4-6 weeks swim training, maybe 2 days a week. Any input would help, just don't want to get in over my head.  

2013-01-15 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4580346

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sprint Tri Training, first one
Yes, you can do it.  With that base of run training and the chance to get in the pool a few times so you know you can swim the distance, you should be able to complete a sprint (with that short a swim) and have fun while doing it.  Take the bike easy during the race as you dont have a base there or pacing experience, but otherwise, enjoy!
2013-01-15 9:54 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
I would be swimming at least 3 times a week for those four weeks, and train to be able to do 1000m, so you will still have gas in the tank before the bike!

Welcome and good luck
2013-01-15 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
Since you say you have swum a fair amount in the past I think this is pretty doable.  I'm a poor swimmer with barely any swim background before I started racing tris (3 years ago) and even after a long layoff it takes me just a few times in the water before that distance isn't a problem.
2013-01-15 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

I am also training for my first sprint. I only found out about a good pool to use a few weeks ago, so I've only been swimming for about 4 weeks. I never had any formal training so my stroke was fraught with typical mistakes.  However, I've made some great improvements in that time via practice, self examination, and YouTube videos (I've collected my favorites here). I'm still not where I want to be, but my time for 500 meters dropped by 3.5 minutes to about 12.5 minutes in those four weeks.

I think you could get there in 4 weeks, although I would also aim to go 3 times a week. At worse, you will mix in some breaststroke and lose a couple minutes, but you will be able to do the distance. I analyzed some stats from a sprint tri, and there is much more time to be regained on the bike and the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri Training, first one Rss Feed