General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-02-07 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4612341

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Brigby- thanks for the links.

2013-02-07 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4612801

User image

Wisconsin

Sell you on Racine.. Ok.  Kansas is the only other HIM I have done (personally will not repeat) but have something to compare it to.  Racine: it's 1 transition so your T1/T2 are the same location, swim is a point to point so no loops- just a straight shot South which means the sun coming up will be on your left so if you right breath you are golden, bike is relatively flat with nicely stocked and spaced aid stations, other than those two itty bitty killer hills in mile 1 on the run it's flat.  It's a 2 loop run so you have other athletes around and so many awesome residents just cheering you on.  You can't beat the run portion for the push they give you!   Sold????? 

Super excited for all of you that are doing your first!!  Living in Kenosha we are out on the course pretty often once weather allows so please shout with any questions. 

Amy

2013-02-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4581114

Master
Northern IL

Not sure how much this means to everyone, but noticed that Racine has jumped from a P-500 race to a P-750. It doesn't change anything about how the race is run, but the quality of the pro field could go up noticeably. The prize purse goes from $15k up to $50k. It also gives them more qualifying points for Vegas and Kona. So make sure to keep a look out.

I know not everyone may be that interested, but seeing Craig Alexander come by the first year was one of the most motivational things I've seen. ~5:40 pacing on the run and he made it look so easy. He left T2 with the 2nd place guy and literally put a mile on him in the run.

Edited by brigby1 2013-02-08 8:27 AM
2013-02-08 9:23 AM

User image

Wisconsin
That's awesome news, thanks for sharing!  Can't wait to see what pros get in on this now.  It's always so motivating to see them fly by!!!
2013-02-10 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

I've been doing a little research on things to do with the kids.  I see Dells is about 2 1/2 hours a way.  Are the water parks there worth the drive?  I've been looking at Noah's Water Park it looks pretty cool is it something that 1 day is enough or do you need to stay 2? 

I do know there is a 70.3 in the Dells several weeks after Racine but I'm an educator and school will be back in session during that time. 

2013-02-10 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Hello! Just signed up this morning. THis will be my second time doing Racine, the first was last year and I loved it! I had to sign up again.

I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn (which was where I stayed last year) that's on Washington.

As for the course, I thought the swim was fantastic, perfect temp and nearly clear the whole way. Only for a small part could I not see the bottom. The bumps in the beginning of the bike course didn't bother me at all, probably bc I was so excited to be on the bike! But about halfway through there is a section that is just ridiculously bumpy. I thought for sure I would get a flat. But then immediately after there is a section of perfect pavement. And then the bumps at the end were bothersome, just bc I couldn't wait to get off the bike. The run is great and the out and back x2 didn't bother me at all. I loved seeing people I knew so many times. So excited to race this again!

Melissa

2013-02-10 11:03 PM
in reply to: #4616249

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
EKH - 2013-02-10 9:26 AM

I've been doing a little research on things to do with the kids.  I see Dells is about 2 1/2 hours a way.  Are the water parks there worth the drive?  I've been looking at Noah's Water Park it looks pretty cool is it something that 1 day is enough or do you need to stay 2? 

I do know there is a 70.3 in the Dells several weeks after Racine but I'm an educator and school will be back in session during that time. 

I'm biased, but our family loves Noahs Ark, we go every year at least once.  One day will usually do it, since the kids will be wiped out.

2013-02-13 11:38 PM

User image

New user

Oswego, IL
Hello!I am thinking of signing up for this HIM, which would be my first race of any kind. I am hoping to get some help/advice from you all.I am currently deployed to the Middle East (I come home in June) and think I can do the necessary training. My biggest problem area is the bike. The only bikes available to me here are Life Fitness stationary bikes. I have contacted quite a few bicycle companies to see if I could get a road bike and trainer, but I have been unsuccessful thus far. How do you think the stationary bike will impact my training? Any tips or suggestions?Thanks for your time,Jimmie
2013-02-14 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4621651

User image

New user

Deerfield

Jimmie,

Thanks for your service and sacrifice.  I'm sure the cool waters of Lake Michigan sound like an oasis from where you are sitting right now.  I jumped into Racine last year as my first HIM.  It's a serious commitment, but I am willing to bet that your training has you at a much higher base than most of us ever started at.  That said, until you get access to a road bike, you should be ok to do most of your training on a trainer.  Try to get your hands on some of the trainer DVDs Sufferfest, Spinervals, etc.  These will help you to build the endurance you will need, and give you some structure to the training to prepare you for hills, etc.

Once you get back in June, there is usually a group that heads to the lake on Saturdays for open water practice (if you are in the Racine area).

I hope you are able to commit to the race, and I look forward to racing with you!

2013-02-14 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4621651

Master
Northern IL

JimmieIII - 2013-02-13 11:38 PM Hello!I am thinking of signing up for this HIM, which would be my first race of any kind. I am hoping to get some help/advice from you all.I am currently deployed to the Middle East (I come home in June) and think I can do the necessary training. My biggest problem area is the bike. The only bikes available to me here are Life Fitness stationary bikes. I have contacted quite a few bicycle companies to see if I could get a road bike and trainer, but I have been unsuccessful thus far. How do you think the stationary bike will impact my training? Any tips or suggestions?Thanks for your time,Jimmie

I'm thinking it'll be ok if you can put the time in. Do keep working on the bike & trainer as that would be better. While you're on the stationary type, do make sure you are working. They tend to not give quite as good of a workout for the same feel, so push yourself. You can get in a workout, it's just harder to do on them.

2013-02-14 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
EKH - 2013-02-10 9:26 AM

Noah's Ark is ridiculous, but it is strictly a water park.  Across the street is Mt. Olympus, which is half water park, half roller coasters and go-karts. You can't go wrong with either one.  They're both enormous and can take up a full day, so it just depends on whether you want a better water park or more variety.

They'v also been building a new wildlife park.  It was supposed to open up last summer, but they were behind schedule when I went in July.  Sort of a mix between a zoo and an exotic animal sanctuary.  

2013-02-14 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4611057

Expert
Golden, CO

EKH

I'm from Racine and can say that it is not exactly a tourist destination. However, Milwaukee is 30 minutes North and Chicago is 60 minutes South.  Further, there is a six flags in Gurnee Illinois which is about 30 minutes away - right on 94 south on the way to Chicago.  Milwaukee has a great zoo and museums..but Chicago has fabulous museums and the Shedd Aquarium.  Italian fest is going on in Milwaukee July 18 - 21 and German fest is going on the following weekend.  (You have no idea what one of these festivals is like until you do one in Milwaukee.

And I actually live outside Boulder now.  Colorado is beautiful and would be a great destination race also.

2013-02-14 2:41 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

EKH

And if you do go to the Dells you go right by Madison.. The home of the University of Wisconsin.  That may be a fun trip also. Great town and great food..fried cheese curds..mac'n'cheese pizza...mmm. 

2013-02-14 5:07 PM

User image

Regular

Jelly Belly Factory Outlet has tours of factory in Pleasant Prairie (15 miles south of Racine).  How can you NOT go imo

Breakfast in Kenosha's "Frank's Diner" and then stay downtown for the craft fairs on Saturdays.  Also has a Dinosaur Museum, Trolley(that goes in an oval - right past the jail ) and Civil war Museum

This will be my first HIM.  Last three years been doing Marathons and Half Marathons moslty, dabbled in Sprint Tri's as well (Pl Prairie and Pewaukee) and only spectating the HIM (the run part where you see everyone 4x right before they go under the zoo)

Edited by t-royboy 2013-02-14 5:13 PM
2013-02-15 9:34 AM

User image

New user

Deerfield

Good call on the Jely Belly "Factory" actually just a distribution center.

However, for those budget minded triathletes among us, they do sell their off-spec Sport Beans for $1/bag.  Each bag holds the equivalent of 3 standard bags.  They fit perfectly in my bentos box, and taste just the same, just some are stuck together.  Great training calories on a budget!  Limit 10 bags/visit.

2013-02-16 11:58 AM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI

Hi Everyone. it's good to see the new post! I am looking forward to a 2nd shot at handling the July Heat. Last year was great and I learned a lot with Racine being my first Tri, but my training was mostly lots of LSD. This year, I'm picking up the intensity.

I've been doing Cross Fit for my off season workout along with S/B/R and am feeling much stronger. There are lots of Tri-Athletes & Runners at Badger Cross Fit in Wauwatosa, with several who have completed Ironman events.  I really like the different workouts, but will get back to more a traditional training plan in April.

I'm also thinking about adding some Bikram Yoga, has anyone done it and what do you think? I am not flexible at all and need help! Plus, I'm hoping that the 105 Degree temperature will get me ready for Racine .

Looking forward to July 21st!

Rob

2013-02-16 5:38 PM

New user

I have signed up for Racine already. This will be my first HIM. I did two tri's last year, an Olympic and a Sprint. I'm very nervous as I am a terrible swimmer! I plan on doing a sprint and olympic this year before Racine. 
2013-02-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4625151

New user
Wauwatosa, WI

The swim was great last year and Racine Beach is one of the nicest I've seen (including Florida & California). We go out in waves, so there isn't much contact. It's about 150 yards out, turn right and then a straight point to point swim. I found that I really didn't have to sight too much as I breathe from my right side (I just kept other swimmers in view).  And, then you get to run 100 yards up the beach to T1, Plus, my family was able to walk along the beach and watch our colored caps, so they could see me as I got out of the water.

I was a little bit nervous too, so I lined up wide on the left side, and avoided contact. You'll do fine! I would also read the Race Reports from the last few years, as they have lots of good information.

Rob 

2013-02-17 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Travel week for me.  Louisville then Denver.  Not going to get much, if any, biking or swimming in.  But running and xtrain isn't a problem.  Anyone have any ideas?
2013-02-18 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Thanks for all the great info on the Dells and other things to do around Racine. 

I was looking at the event schedule for last year and check in was on Sat. from 9-5.  How long does it take to check in and get bike set up.  Last year I did a smaller 70.3 and the whole process only took about an hour.  I'm just wondering if I decide to do Racine when I need to show up.  Can I show up Saturday afternoon around 2-3 or do I need to be in Racine Friday evening so I can check in early Saturday?

2013-02-19 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4627558

User image

New user

Deerfield
EKH - 2013-02-18 7:19 PM

Thanks for all the great info on the Dells and other things to do around Racine. 

I was looking at the event schedule for last year and check in was on Sat. from 9-5.  How long does it take to check in and get bike set up.  Last year I did a smaller 70.3 and the whole process only took about an hour.  I'm just wondering if I decide to do Racine when I need to show up.  Can I show up Saturday afternoon around 2-3 or do I need to be in Racine Friday evening so I can check in early Saturday?

The actual "check in" only takes about 10-15 minutes.  After that, you go through the merchandise expo.  Last year, the best part was the $10 coupon to use at the Trek store.  All told, you should be in and out of registration in under an hour. 

You will then need to make your way over to transition, which is ~ 1-mile from registration.  Parking is a nightmare right next to the transition area, so just find a spot on a road and walk down the hill.  Bike setup only takes as long as you need.  Entry into transition is secured.

2013-02-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4627974

User image

Expert

I definitely recommend getting there as early as you can if check-in on Saturday.  I got there at about 3:30pm and the line was already out the door. it was even longer when I got outta there. The previous year I think check-in went to 7:00pm if I remember right.  It definitely took more than an hour for me.  My wife works til 1:00pm on Saturdays before we head up from Chicago so I will probably be doing the same thing again this year Frown.

bsantelik - 2013-02-19 8:21 AM

The actual "check in" only takes about 10-15 minutes.  After that, you go through the merchandise expo.  Last year, the best part was the $10 coupon to use at the Trek store.  All told, you should be in and out of registration in under an hour. 

You will then need to make your way over to transition, which is ~ 1-mile from registration.  Parking is a nightmare right next to the transition area, so just find a spot on a road and walk down the hill.  Bike setup only takes as long as you need.  Entry into transition is secured.

2013-02-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4627558

User image

Regular
Chicago

I got there around 2p last year and there was a line to check in. I think check in (waiting in line, signing waivers, etc.) took maybe 30 minutes and then I walked around the expo for another 30-40 minutes. I think bike check-in ends at 5p, so you still have to do that after athlete check-in. You can either ride your bike from athlete check-in to bike check-in or drive there. It's about 1 mile. I didin't feel rushed at all, but to each his own. You definitely don't "need" to check in on Friday.

2013-02-19 1:49 PM

User image

Wisconsin

Last year we went Friday evening and it was great. I think there were maybe 5 others there.  Year before did the Saturday check in and waited over an hour in line which to me is just way to stressful.  If you can get there Friday that is totally the way to go for anyone able.  As someone mentioned, the race start is about a mile away from packet pick up.  Whatever you choose just give yourself enough time you can check out the transition area and that loooooong run up the sand and maybe a quick dip! 

2013-02-19 2:34 PM

User image

New user

Oswego, IL
bsantelik & brigby1 - Thank you very much for your feedback.  I am going to train and give this a shot.  Again, I really appreciate your time and look forward to seeing you at the race!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15