United States
Boys and Girls Club of Bartow Co.
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 44m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate 2 power bars and half a banana. Drank 2 cups of Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching.
Bike
  • 4h 44m
  • 70 miles
  • 14.79 mile/hr
Comments:

First race with my new bike - the handlebar shifters make all the difference. Started slowly and stopped at all the rest stops. Watched my heart rate for the first 30 miles, kept it under 160. Was not drinking my planned 32 ounces an hour since it was overcast in the morning. At mile 30 I got behind a pack of riders with "Team in Training" jerseys and drafted for a while and then "attacked." They reeled me back in within 5 miles or so. So more drafting and then a 2nd attempt. This time I charged up the hills by up-shifting and getting out of the saddle. My heart rate was approaching 190 during this time. I kept passing groups and settling in only to see the next group up ahead. I seemed to have a lot of saved up energy from starting slow, so I kept passing. It was really fun. I slowed back down at mile 50. 1 guy passed me back and I was following him in to the finish. Apparently, I didn't see him turn at mile 54 and ended up following a guy that was on the century route. I kept thinking my computer was wrong, until I went over 60 miles. So, I turned back and asked the next couple of riders if they were on the century route - sure enough, I went just under 15 miles out of my way. I ran out of juice at about mile 50 and was bonking pretty hard when I rolled into a gas station. Got some Powerade and directions and finished just under a total of 70 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Drink on schedule even though I didn't feel like I needed it at the time. Try not to get off course with 1 mile left. Another thing I would be interested in is what my avg speed would be if my computer didn't average the time spent at the rest stations. My mountain bike computer stops the timer if the wheel isn't spinning, but doesn't have cadence.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, gatorade, bananas, power bars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Of course, missing the last turn. Starting out slow since I was nervous about the distance. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been nervous about the distance, since I went all out from mile 30 to 50 and then went almost 15 miles extra.

Event comments:

Just like the last bike race, a dog tried to attack me and there were a couple of rude motorists encounters, but the support was great, the local police directed a few of the intersections and the volunteers were very nice. I am having a lot of fun telling people about the 70 miles.

Last updated: 2004-06-28 12:00 AM
Biking
04:44:00 | 70 miles | 14.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
heart rate average: 166
Wind:
Course: There were three options, 30 miles, 55 miles and a century. Mostly through beautiful countryside. I planned to do the 55 mile course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-06-28 8:59 AM

Subject: Cartersville Century

2004-06-28 10:20 PM
in reply to: #34029

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: Cartersville Century
Great job!! The x-tra 15 miles and all!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cartersville Century Rss Feed