Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Laguna Lang Co Tri; OMG I am stupid! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-27 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Laguna Lang Co Tri; OMG I am stupid!
Anyone else registered for the race above? Hoping to be healthy and actually race there. Yesterday I registered for the Singapore Sprint Tri (for no reason other than I've done it every year, it's a long weekend due to a Vietnamese holiday, and I thought it would be fun to go to Singapore then) and didn't realize after until I (non-refundably) registered that it's the week after Lang Co. Maybe for some folks this is no big deal but I usually race only 4-5 times a year, and haven't done back to back weeks since my teens. Ugh. So don't look if you see me finishing last or something.  At least with a week's turnover there's probably no need to get the bike out of its shipping box!

2013-01-27 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4596294

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Laguna Lang Co Tri; OMG I am stupid!

Well, you can always take solace in the fact that you can't possibly be stupider than me Tongue out

At least you are guaranteed to have a blast (because I'll be right there witcha) and likely a good race at Lang Co (because you actually train, wisely), and you may surprise yourself in Singapore.

2013-01-27 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4596351

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

You actually train....says the one who does 7-hour trainer rides. I don't do anything for seven hours unless someone's paying me for it!  But yes, trying to get in some kind of shape, particularly with biking. Will get on the accomodation thing next weekend. Sorry for delay....when I'm injured I get in a bad mood and avoid having anything to do with races, etc. Hamstring still a little twitchy from the bike crash but it's a lot better and I did an easy hour run on Saturday; might be a while till I get back to speedwork, though. Also saw a PT about some of my chronic issues and he gave me some good exercises; doesn't think the acute issue is serious and in fact the impact may have broken up some of the scar tissue that was causing problems. (Not that I would recommend getting hit by a motorbike as a treatment LOL...)

Sing Sprint just seems to be a cursed race for me. The first year, I missed the finish chasing down some hot guy, and had to backtrack about 100m.  Last year, I had to do it with oozing road rash on my arm and leg from a crash the week before. What next?

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-01-27 6:11 PM
2013-04-01 12:48 AM
in reply to: #4596919

Singapore

glad to hear you are on the mend. Plenty of options for things that could go wrong in the race but I'm sure you can think up something surprising

Not doing it this year myself, been spoiled with the tri's in clean water like Phuket, Bintan etc and didn't want to do the sprint this year. Going to Bintan for the OD in mid May so that'll be the first serious race for the year.

Will be at the race supporting another friend so PM me through your race number so I can say hi if I see you.

best of luck,
Andrew 

2013-04-05 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I'm #1565, in the elite wave. (Har, har!)  Think I'm healthy as of today. (Knock on wood) and have trained about as much as I can manage. This has just been the year that was: mono, flu, broken elbow, hamstring pull and massive bruises from being hit by a motorbike. Feel like I've worked hard all year to get back where I started. At my age, guess that's par for the course!

At least I won't be able to crash my bike unless in the actual race as it's already been turned over for transport to Lang Co, and I'll probably just leave it at the shop between the races so they can pack it up for Singapore. Hope to see you there!

As for things that can go wrong in the race itself, last year I swam into a tree.(Big bamboo log floating in the water.)  Didn't even mention that in the report as it didn't affect the race. And who would believe that, anyway?

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-04-05 9:19 PM
2013-04-06 5:21 AM
in reply to: #4688977

User image

Melon Presser
Hot Runner - 2013-04-06 9:18 AM

I'm #1565, in the elite wave. (Har, har!)  Think I'm healthy as of today. (Knock on wood) and have trained about as much as I can manage. This has just been the year that was: mono, flu, broken elbow, hamstring pull and massive bruises from being hit by a motorbike. Feel like I've worked hard all year to get back where I started. At my age, guess that's par for the course!

At least I won't be able to crash my bike unless in the actual race as it's already been turned over for transport to Lang Co, and I'll probably just leave it at the shop between the races so they can pack it up for Singapore. Hope to see you there!

As for things that can go wrong in the race itself, last year I swam into a tree.(Big bamboo log floating in the water.)  Didn't even mention that in the report as it didn't affect the race. And who would believe that, anyway?

Trees, cows, jellies ... always an adventure in Asia!

Have a blast, K.

2013-04-12 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
OMG I didn't realize that the invited pros included Macca and Chris Lieto. Going to be rubber-necking tonight. When I arrived (after midnight) discovered that thru some fluke I've been upgrade to a very posh villa. Maybe Macca's my neighbor?

On the minus side, we are having a taste of Central Vietnam's famously weird weather. It's COLD (as in barely 20C/70F) and the ocean looks like a great day for surfing. It's going to be an epic swim!
2013-04-16 3:40 AM
in reply to: #4698643

Singapore

Saw that Macca got second I think. Huge fan of his in a man crush kind of a way. Read from the report that the swim did go ahead but was pretty choppy. Hope you had the race you wanted and I'll hurl abuse at you on Sunday!!

Andrew

2013-04-16 5:26 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Ugh....NOT the kind of race I wanted or even the event I'd planned. I switched to the du last-minute as they had cut the swim distance and water was not only very rough but unusually cold--I was concerned about shaking too hard on the bike or cramping; also figured in my case that the du might be more up my alley and more fun given the unusually cool conditions (low 70's, I think, and cloudy).

I was 4th in the du (6K-ish run, 62 K bike, 12K-ish run). Had great runs but my bike leg sucked. I was by myself much of the way and it was very hard to keep up a decent pace; also had issues with my nutrition--kept gagging on it and felt weak and nauseous until km. 40 when, oddly, I felt better. The nausea and cold sensitivity are monthly things for me. Fortunately I was able to get down the thinner gel I had for the run, though, or I would have seriously bonked. I did cramp up with 2 km to go, probably due to poor nutrition on the bike (and maybe not doing any long runs over 90 minutes!) but managed to run it in and not walk like Chris Lieto did--probably cost me third place.

On the plus side, I got to host a post-race party for the Saigon athletes at "my" villa. The elite athletes were in the villas too, so I had some very illustrious neighbors at breakfast! I was able to take yesterday off from work so not too sore today--hope to be recovered to do a decent effort on Sunday. See you there!

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-04-16 5:27 AM
2013-04-21 8:50 PM

Singapore

Couldn't find you at the race. I didn't get there until about 9.30 as the guy that I was supporting was doing the 'discovery' distance which didn't start until 10am. Hot morning for it though so would imagine you were pretty knackered!

The water was nice and flat though so at least you didn't have to face the breakers like in Vietnam

2013-04-22 3:53 AM
in reply to: #4709300

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry we missed each other yet again! I'd sent you a message I was wearing a pink hat but realized race morning I'd accidentally forgotten to include your address so had sent it to myself!  I was probably done before you arrived, and left the race venue by ten as I had to catch a 1 PM shuttle to the airport, and eat, clean up, and deal with bike before that. Didn't quite make your time from last year (I did 1:16:00)owing to a sub-par run and confusion about run-out in T2. Had a great swim and bike (for me)--actually placed better on the swim than the run. Held 33+ kph (probably faster minus those wretched turns and rumble strips) but I think that "speed", plus maybe last week's du had taken it out of my legs a bit for the run. Oh well, live and learn. Someday I will manage to put the parts together!

New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Laguna Lang Co Tri; OMG I am stupid! Rss Feed