YMCA
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 20s
Overall Rank = 0/50
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

Had some gatorade, toast with PB about 6am. Was nice to be able to do a Triathlon & sleep in my own bed the night before. Not much of a routine, going in knowing it was a small tri, & I just wanted to have some fun. Although my mind was still too active the night before & I didn't feel like I slept much.
Event warmup:

Rode bike down beginning to course to make sure everything was working, then the swim was in heats, so we had a little time to warm up in the water before our heat started.
Swim
  • 12m 23s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

My daughter was 3rd out of our heat in 7:45, I happened to be just reaching the wall, so I stopped to cheer her on.

Swam probably the first 150 meter free, then switched back & forth between back & free for the rest. I wanted to start out slow, so I waited until my lane partner started, but felt pretty good, cause I passed him in about the 1st 25 meters.

What was really weird for me was the calmness of the water, I was in a lane that was far from the wall, & I'm used to swimming right by the wall where it is more choppy.

Goggles leaked a some, which might have not bothered me as much if I hadn't worn my contacts. Once on the lane rope & twice on the wall, stopped to shake them out.

Overall, I had much more energy coming out of the water than my 1st Tri, & didn't swim a lick of side-stroke.

Still much work to be done, but when I look back to my first Tri swim, it's been slightly less than a month.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear my contacts, adjust goggles. Relax more & swim more freestyle.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Time is by my watch, as they recorded splits, but not transitions. Felt like I took my time, but everything went well. Walked the short distance from pool to bike so I could get my bearings after being in the water.

One thing I've noticed about me, & heard of others coming out of the swim is that you feel unbalanced if you try to hurry. It was only about 20-30 yds to the bike, so I just walked it.

Nothing really, small tri, low stress.
Bike
  • 52m 31s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably should have not pushed soo hard against the wind & up the hills. If we'd just had wind or hills, it prbly wouldn't have been soo bad.

The turn around was a section where the road widened, & I used the whole section to turn around; probably a bad idea as the wide section isn't driven on much, & goat heads are bad here. Anyway, about 200 yds later I flatted in the front. I'm used to changing flats out on the road, so I was prepared, but it's agonizing when you've worked soo hard to see 5-6 riders go right past you; not that I needed any help; the 1st couple by me were willing to stop.

But then, of course, I worked way too hard trying to catch these people that had several minutes gap on me.

What was funny though, was the cop at the turn around could see me off the road bent over & he thought I needed help cause I was puking. I said, "No, if that was going to happen it would have been during the swim portion".

Have the flat during my training rides instead - like I have a choice (:

Freeze the water bottle with water instead of gatorade. The gatorade kept me from drinking as much as I probably would have. It was about 90 degrees for part of the bike section, & when my body's in sprint mode water just goes down easier
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Actually forgot to dismount, & about rode my bike to the rack. Probably took a little extra time here to let my heart rate settle a little.

Get off my bike at the dismount line, it was only about 15 yds from my rack.
Run
  • 29m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran through the sprinklers they had going to try & cool down, as it was 90 degrees by now. Didn't drink anything during the run, as the gatorade had given me kind of an acidic stomach.

Run felt really slow, felt like I was just plodding along & I walked twice for about 20 yds each time.

I think heat & humidity were a factor today, & most of my training is either early morning or in the evening, so I don't think I could have pushed it any harder; after the fact I feel I should have, but looking back at my HR, I don't think it would have been beneficial.
Post race
Warm down:

The best part of my cool-down, was meeting the local Community College Cross Country coach, who had already cornered my daughter & offered her a scholarship to come run X-Country & track for him. I guess he knew her name from my wife cheering her on, & had started watching her from the time she came out of the water. Bad thing is she's only got a few days to make a decision.

Walked around ate a banana & several bottles of water & Replenish, a sugar free/electrolyte powdered drink I found at WallyWorld.

Visited with all the local's I'd never met & a few who weren't so local; we hope to all meet again in a month or so at the next small Kansas Tri.

Even talked to the cycling coach from the Kansas Team In Training chapter to try & get a local group started.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike flat, heat & humidity. Need to get my body acclimated. But I did feel good though, cause several people told me they prbably would have just packed it in if they flatted.

Event comments:

Race is put on by the local YMCA, & the young lady does an excellent job; this has been their biggest year so far. Race bags were nice with a shirt, local info, & Kansas made products.

The only thing I would change was actually "man" the aid stations, instead of a cooler & cups sitting on the table. Their was supposed to be a water station at the bike turn around, but I didn't see it. This didn't hamper my race any, but with the climate, I just think it's important.

Otherwise, a great "small" triathlon with about 50-60 participants.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:23 | 437 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Average
50 meter pool made it nice, but I still lost count & if it wouldn't have been for a volunteer & my wife I would have swam an extra lap.
Suit:
Course: Pool, 2/lane, up & back.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:31 | 12.4 miles | 14.17 mile/hr
My HR was 167 avg, higher than I would have like it, but part was against the wind, & all was constantly rolling. My Polar is setup for auto on/off, so with the time it shows & avg speed (about 16.5mph) not including my bad luck flat at the turn around, I'm happy with the ride.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 10-15Mph wind the first part of the out & back course. Listed as 12 miles, but after the race the director admitted it was actually about 12.35. I think they just wanted a good place for turn around. They picked the most rolling, hilly part of Kansas you can find in this area, but at least it adds some excitement.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:26 | 03.11 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
HR avg 172.
Course: 2 laps inside the Zoo park, mostly flat. It was almost like you were running in the jungle. Seen a snake slithering across the road, the exotic birds were singing, the huge waterfall in the background, but my daughter couldn't believe I missed the elephant & tiger.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-02 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Subject: YMCA Big Pool Triathlon

2006-07-04 10:30 AM
in reply to: #472101

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: YMCA Big Pool Triathlon
Great race report!  Lots of great detail.  Congrats on your race.  Sounded like a lot of fun to be racing with your daughter.  And it would be very cool to do the run course through the zoo like that. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Big Pool Triathlon Rss Feed