General Discussion Race Reports! » Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fairport, New York
United States
Yellow Jacket Racing / Fleet Feet Rochester
70'sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 35m 39s
Overall Rank = 106/512
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/34
Pre-race routine:

Showered, dressed, put hair in usual "race-do." Out of my usual Raisin Bran cereal for breakfast so I had to settle for Honey Crunchin' Oats instead. Too nervous to eat much anyway... Also drank a small glass of juice. Drove to race site instead of biked because not sure of where I could have put my bike anyway.
Event warmup:

Short warm-up run, stretching of legs, arms, torso. Talked to many people that I know
Run
  • 35m 38s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good the first 2.5 miles or so and then fatigue started to become a problem. Ran a 7:03 minute first mile and kept that pace pretty steadily. Kept wondering if I was going at it too hard, but I think after years of athletics I've got a good mental game and just kept plugging away. Seeing the family was a little rejuvenating, and there is a significant downhill after the bridge that I tried to take advantage of, but not to the point where I wasn't in control. I rounded the corner onto O'Connor road and decided to pass a girl that I thought could be in my age group! I really pushed it at that point and after I passed her I was really afraid that I'd made the move too soon. I was really sprinting at that point and the finish line was still 2-3/10's of a mile away. I think she tried to get me, but I kept sprinting hoping she'd relinquish eventually! I also passed one or two guys at that point too. Anyway, thought I was going to lose all bodily functions towards the end, but didn't, thankfully. Walked straight to the bathrooms as my "cooldown" after they took off my chip!!
What would you do differently?:

Not pass that girl as soon as I did. Should have waited until we rounded the corner and could actually see the finish line because my body did not like that 3/10 of a mile sprint I forced it to do.

Drank a little more water before the race.. Had cotton mouth at the beginnning, but took advantage of all of the water stops and that helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Brisk walk to the bathrooms!

Event comments:

This is the 28th year of this race and I liked it. I might do it again next year!

Last updated: 2006-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:38 | 05 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 106/512
Performance: Good
Course: Big hill to start with up Whitney to Turk Hill Road. Then another one up Turk Hill. Hills don't seem to affect me too much, though. I think I've done enough training on them, thankfully. Pretty flat on Cobb's Lane and then steady climb up Church street, leveling off near the corner of my street, where my hubby and kids were there to cheer me on and take pictures! I run this part of the course regularly, so pretty easy. Another little climb up to the canal bridge then downhilll to O'Connor Road and uphill to the finish line near parking lot nearest canal
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-04 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile

2006-07-04 7:49 PM
in reply to: #473443

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile
Nice race, Kam! WTG!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile Rss Feed