General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Got My Wings Clipped Yesterday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-02 11:57 AM

Jefferson City
Subject: I Got My Wings Clipped Yesterday

I have two children. That's nice even number, unique as well as its the only even number that is also a prime number. So 2 is even... with a little odd thrown in for good measure. I'm content with this and so, as of exactly one moon ago, I now live knowing that I am a farmer of barren oats--sown wildly with no hope of production; a boomerang gone straight. 

Yesterday, while fully conscious, Dr Vogt (the sinister little devil), removed two vestiges, perhaps a 1/4 inch, of pink cord and, as if to taught me, had the audacity to gloat dangling tubes about my face. Did I really commission to do this to me? I did. Yes, I did and that makes all the "deferens."

Today though, I sit on a bag of frozen peas unable to run and Oh My God unable to bike; banned from submerging in water. Left alone with more rest days than I can bare. My body rebels at stagnation. 

Anticipating this downtime, I intentionally over worked myself last week so that I could feel a little justified now that I condemned to rest for the better part (or should I say the worser part) or a week; however, would you recommend I not lose my routine?  

2013-03-02 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4643407

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: I Got My Wings Clipped Yesterday
Rest as prescribed, enjoy the sitting around, and get back at it when you feel better. the world will not end. Also, make sure you get the 'empty tank' test before swimming without a lifejack, shall we say. You may get quite a surprise if you don't.
2013-03-02 12:18 PM

Expert
A friend of mine who also got snipped, missed his training too much, and went for a short run a couple of days after his procedure. They day after, he looked liked he was smuggling a small car in his speedo. Needless to say, he missed an additional 3 more weeks. He, well, was nut happy. Take it easy and x2 on thoroughly draining the Main Vein brother.
2013-03-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4643427

Jefferson City

mad-dog - 2013-03-02 12:18 PM A friend of mine who also got snipped, missed his training too much, and went for a short run a couple of days after his procedure. They day after, he looked liked he was smuggling a small car in his speedo. Needless to say, he missed an additional 3 more weeks. He, well, was nut happy. Take it easy and x2 on thoroughly draining the Main Vein brother.

I needed to hear that, else, I would have ended up doing something like that. 

2013-03-02 3:00 PM

New user

Rest rest and more rest.  I followed the Dr's advice and was back in action on schedule.  My group ride buddy was not as smart...trip to ER..2 days as an inpatient after a repair.
2013-03-02 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

If and when my wife and I have a second kid she will be getting fixed.  She already will have to have a c-section so there is no point for me to get snipped.

I would advise to really adhere to the recovery plan for this as well.  I have heard horror stories of guys getting on the bike to soon and being done for months!

2013-03-02 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome to the Useless Juice Club.  My doc made me pass back to back 0 count tests before allowing me to graduate and get the diploma.
2013-03-02 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4643682

Jefferson City

Same here, and I am not supposed to test any of the fresh squeezed juice for six weeks. I am reminded of Onan. 

I had the procedure done Friday morning, Dr didn't really give me a rest time frame. Just to use ice for 36 hrs (hence the peas). I wonder if a swim on Tuesday night would be okay? 

The thing I am worried about most is getting lazy and losing my habit of working out each morning. I am only about three months into a work out program, 54 pounds down, and am worried about falling off the band wagon. 

Any suggestions about how to come back after a period of forced prolonged rest?

2013-03-02 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Like everyone else said. REST...you have the rest of your life to train hard. Based on your posts, it seems that you are in no danger of falling off the wagon...you sound very motivated to get back to training. And that's what keeps one on the wagon...motivation. The recovery period for a vasectomy is pretty quick. If you are worried about getting out of the routine of getting up early, then don't stop getting up early...just do something else in the early morning instead of training (I know I always have lots of work to do on my lap top). Also, when you do start training again, look back at your logs and maybe do what you did when you were less fit. I'm guessing you won't need much time before you can get back to the hard work-outs.
2013-03-02 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4643427

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

mad-dog - 2013-03-02 1:18 PM A friend of mine who also got snipped, missed his training too much, and went for a short run a couple of days after his procedure. They day after, he looked liked he was smuggling a small car in his speedo. Needless to say, he missed an additional 3 more weeks. He, well, was nut happy. Take it easy and x2 on thoroughly draining the Main Vein brother.

Gawd, I hope that wasn't a typo!

To the OP, stick with the frozen peas - best anti-swelling kit for this particular surgery ever.  

DO NOT return to training too quickly.  

DO NOT go for an OWS without a wetsuit until the doc says all clear.  (OK, so I'm just reiterating the other posts, but it bears repeating!).

Oh, and enjoy.  Wink

2013-03-03 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I have nothing to add other than this thread makes me laugh. You guys are hilarious.

2013-03-03 1:45 PM

My brother in law was foolish enough to go on the trampoline at my daughter's gymnastics themed birthday party, too soon after getting snipped. He was smuggling cantaloupes for the next couple of weeks. 

Follow Dr.'s orders about rest on this one. 

2013-03-04 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4644369

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I had this done last month.  I was advised to not work out for a full week.  I was convinced that I would be able to recover more quickly.  As it turned out, I ended up taking an entire 2 weeks off.  I felt fine, honestly.  I'll spare the details as this is a family site, but in my situation I was concerned about the condition of the incisions.  My advise, like all others, is to simply relax and heal up.  The gains you make by training right away will be quickly eliminated if you have a setback.
2013-03-04 9:15 AM

JD, I had this done 3 weeks ago (right after I bought a brand new bike!!) and have not been able to ride since, which has been very, very frustrating. I was able to hit the gym after a week, so I can at least continue some sort of routine. I've heard too many horror stories of people not taking it easy the first week, so I was on the cautious side. DO NOTHING FOR A WEEK.

It's 3+ weeks and I am still not 100%. My good friend is a doc at the practice I used and asked him yesterday if my pains were normal and he said "perfectly normal" for this time period. One of my tubes is still sore, so I have occasional pangs and soreness in my lower pelvis, and it still feels (slightly) like I got kicked in the nuts (you know that lingering pain I'm talking about). Not as intense, but still uncomfortable. I can't ride for more than 3 minutes before I feel pain right now and have to stop. So, the Rx for now is 1-2 Aleve once or twice a day and ice at night for another 2 weeks. :/

Doing nothing for a week isn't going to hurt your fitness. Beside, being on the cautious side is wayyyy better than walking around with an infection and having a grapefruit bulging from your crotch.

I am also signed up for a tri camp on 3/16 and I'm crossing my fingers I can go....

2013-08-08 11:16 PM
in reply to: jdcannon

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Well, I'm stuck in a similar situation. I need to get big jim & the twins rendered inoperable ASAP (my wife has reached her breaking point on this issue). My problem, I am training for two half marathons in October and my wife has scheduled social events for the next couple weekend and the earliest I can get this done would be 8/23. If I end up laid up for more than a week, it will put a serious dent in what should be the final stretch of my training.

If I am only doing running (no biking & no swimming), and I am having the no scalpel procedure done, what are the odds that I will be off the road for more than a week?
2013-08-09 5:52 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Meathead

Well, I'm stuck in a similar situation. I need to get big jim & the twins rendered inoperable ASAP (my wife has reached her breaking point on this issue). My problem, I am training for two half marathons in October and my wife has scheduled social events for the next couple weekend and the earliest I can get this done would be 8/23. If I end up laid up for more than a week, it will put a serious dent in what should be the final stretch of my training.

If I am only doing running (no biking & no swimming), and I am having the no scalpel procedure done, what are the odds that I will be off the road for more than a week?

Impossible to say... I think some people recover in 3-4 days and some more like 7-8 days. The fact that you are running and not swimming /biking doesn't make any difference... I don't think.
If you absolutely cannot wait until after the marathon perhaps you need to go on the chastity belt route.... I would certainly advise that over trying to rush back and ending up being shelved with complications.

2013-08-09 2:19 PM
in reply to: jdcannon

User image

Arvada
I read this thread every time it comes up on BT (usually twice a year) as my wife has been on me to get clipped for the past two years. Our youngest daughter is 4. Very rarely do people post about their successful procedures, back to a normal routine in a week. However complications get shouted from the rooftops.

While I am not looking forward to minor outpatient surgery or two weeks of forced rest, I will be out of excuses after my half marathon in September.
2013-08-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: guptask

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by guptask I read this thread every time it comes up on BT (usually twice a year) as my wife has been on me to get clipped for the past two years. Our youngest daughter is 4. Very rarely do people post about their successful procedures, back to a normal routine in a week. However complications get shouted from the rooftops. While I am not looking forward to minor outpatient surgery or two weeks of forced rest, I will be out of excuses after my half marathon in September.

Well, defintely follow the doc's advice.  It's not always terrible, though.

My experience:  Ice for 3 or 4 days (peas, actually).  Normal moving about for about a week and half, but NO running.  First light jog for about 3 miles (maybe a bit less?  Was a few years back) with no problem.  So, I was in bed for a weekend, on the couch for a couple days, then moving around like nothing happened - but definitely more watchful than normal that the kids didn't swing any whiffleball bats or such around (their arc was just about the right height for a very bad outcome) - for the balance of 2 weeks.  Then gradually built running back in.

I wasn't doing tri training at that point - was just running - so I don't know how long for the bike (seems like that might be a more "pressing" issue to figure out).  I was back in the pool with the kids for swim classes and such at 2+ weeks, though.

There was residual soreness/ache for way longer than I expected (somewhat tender for months, as I recall), but nothing that would stop normal activity (of any sort).  Wink

So, no rooftop stories of how resilient my boys were, but at least the word "grapefruit" never came up in relation to my recover.  Tongue out

Good luck in the HM (and after)!

Matt

2013-08-09 10:43 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Well, appointment made for 8/23 at 2PM. I would have liked to do it the next weekend (college football opener), but of course, SWMBO has booked a full weekend at Six Flags & Whitewater (wrong on so many levels), so it has to be done then.

I talked to the nurse & she said light running after a week & long runs after about 10 days provided there are no complications, which I am banking on none!
2013-08-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: guptask

User image

Well, I'll tell my tale: No big deal. The worst part was having some dude rooting around in there while juggling little brother and the holding company.

Got it done the day after Thanksgiving 2 years ago. I went for a slow walk later that night, took the kids to a college soccer game the next day (we walked slowly to and from the car!) and just took it easy that weekend. Was back to just about normal on Monday.

The follow up test is awkward, but kinda like having the doc handling yer potatos, there is just no way around it: It was hard to look the girl in the eye when handing over the specimen cup though. Half an hour later they called and I was given clearance to have at it!

No problem, just rest as prescribed (as the others have said).

Originally posted by guptask

Very rarely do people post about their successful procedures, back to a normal routine in a week. However complications get shouted from the rooftops.

While I am not looking forward to minor outpatient surgery or two weeks of forced rest, I will be out of excuses after my half marathon in September.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Got My Wings Clipped Yesterday Rss Feed