General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Beachwood Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Beachwood - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Beachwood, Ohio
United States
Total Time = 1h 00m
Overall Rank = 3/46
Age Group = Masters (40+)
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my very first event, ever, last year.
I wasn't going to do it this year, but a coworker talked me into it... .then he went and had knee surgery and had to bow out. I'd already paid, so I was in for it :)

It was nice to return a year later and see the progress I'd made.
Pre-race was just hanging out and talking with folks.

This was a timed event, so it was just do as much distance as we could in the allotted time: 10 mins for the swim, 30 min bike, 20 min run.
Event warmup:

Sat around and chatted with some people. Saw a few folks that I ran into at other races last year. Got in the water with about 2-1/2 minutes to go before the start.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 575 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got a little (slightly) gassed during this and it very briefly had me concerned about that whole "I'm doing a HIM in two weeks" thing.... but, I finished strong and had PLENTY left in the tank. I think the arms were just getting warmed up.

The cool thing is that a friend was photographing the event and in the pics I've been able to see how absolutely horrible my form is and some of the things I need to work on.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I'm pretty happy with the progress I've seen over the last year.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 30m
  • 12.82 miles
  • 25.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Spin bike. Either it is not accurately calibrated, or TrainerRoad is way off... or both. On TR, I push roughly 230 watts for 30 minutes. This thing had me at 270+ with the last couple of minutes well over 300. In either case, I smoked my performance from last year (barely 11 miles last year).
What would you do differently?:

Maybe could have gone harder, but this day wasn't really about going all out. I wanted to perform well, but not go crazy trying to kill myself. In short - not my "A" race - that's in two weeks.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.84 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Treadmill run - took it easy and cruised the first 15 minutes, then bumped the pace up. Bumped it again with 2:30 remaining. Felt good and finished running at a sub-7:00 pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and two orange slices. Chatted with the other two people in my wave briefly, exchanged "Congrats", and went off to change.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me - I wasn't going to push it, I treated it as a short workout.

Event comments:

Last year I huffed, puffed, and struggled my way to a wince-filled finish. I couldn't even complete the swim without switching to sidestroke after 4 lengths of the pool and my Achilles' were shot for weeks afterward following a run that was way too hard for my fitness levels.

This year I was on cruise control the whole way and greatly exceeded last years performance. It was a very cool thing to realize :)

Last updated: 2013-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 575 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/46
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 12.82 miles | 25.64 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.84 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-03-03 11:17 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Beachwood

2013-03-07 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4644271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Beechwood

Congrats on your improvement! Very strong run for taking it easy for 15 minutes Smile

I'm kind of bummed that I won't be doing an indoor this year, but it's a 2+ hour drive for me and I have a ton of regular races already scheduled.

2013-03-07 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4650544

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Thank you

I'm continually surprised at the gains I've made in my running over the last year.  Even the sub-7:00 pace at the end of it wasn't terribly taxing and I definitely could have spent a lot more time (or all of it) at that pace,  but with my first HIM coming up next week, I didn't want to do too much in terms of intensity. 

Bummer about not being able to do any indoor for you - they are quite fun!  The crowd at this one was kinda sparse compared to last year.. only about half the number of people participated.

2013-03-07 6:33 PM

User image

Franklin, TN
Congrats!  I'd bust a lung or something else if I tried to hit your bike and run paces! I'm just getting started but I'm slowly getting better in all 3 areas...first event is a sprint in May...can't wait.
2013-03-07 10:41 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Nice job!  I find one of the most addicting parts of triathlons is seeing the improvement and having a constant desire to get better. 

Congrats again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Beachwood Rss Feed