Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Conclave Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-03-15 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4651024

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: The Conclave

One of the first things Pope Francis did on Thursday was go to the hotel he'd been staying in to pay his bill.
He had stayed at the hotel before moving to the quarters at the Vatican that the Cardinals stayed in during the conclave. 

(paying bill.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
paying bill.jpg (24KB - 20 downloads)

2013-03-15 10:48 AM

User image

Pope Francis has asked Argentinians to stay home during his installation and instead give the money to charity.

Apostolic Nunciature
Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, March 14, 2013
Your Excellency,

I have the honor and the satisfaction of turning to you to inform you that the Holy Father Francis has asked me to transmit to all Bishops, Priests, Religious men and women, and to all the People of God his cherished recognition for the prayers and the expressions of warmth, affection, and charity that he has received. At the same time, he would wish that, instead of going to Rome for the beginning of his Pontificate next March 19, you may keep this spiritual closeness that is so much appreciated, accompanying it with some gesture of charity towards the neediest.

I take this joyful opportunity to vouch to you my sentiments of respectful attention.

+Emil Paul Tscherrig
Apostolic Nuncio

2013-03-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4661033

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-03-15 10:48 AM

Pope Francis has asked Argentinians to stay home during his installation and instead give the money to charity.

Apostolic Nunciature
Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, March 14, 2013
Your Excellency,

I have the honor and the satisfaction of turning to you to inform you that the Holy Father Francis has asked me to transmit to all Bishops, Priests, Religious men and women, and to all the People of God his cherished recognition for the prayers and the expressions of warmth, affection, and charity that he has received. At the same time, he would wish that, instead of going to Rome for the beginning of his Pontificate next March 19, you may keep this spiritual closeness that is so much appreciated, accompanying it with some gesture of charity towards the neediest.

I take this joyful opportunity to vouch to you my sentiments of respectful attention.

+Emil Paul Tscherrig
Apostolic Nuncio

Baghdad Bob?

2013-03-15 11:07 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
How about if they give equal to the cost of the trip?

This is a once-ever event for Argentinians.

It's very Jesuit. They really take their care for the poor very seriously.
2013-03-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4661063

User image

GomesBolt - How about if they give equal to the cost of the trip?

Sure. This isn't something Argentinians have to obey necessarily.  Pilgrimages are good things.

It does speak to his genuine humility though. Taking the bus, paying his bill at the hotel, living in a simple apartment in Buenos Aires, cooking his own meals, these all seem to be genuinely what he's about.

Maybe this request is his way of putting the emphasis on Christ through caring for the poor, and not on himself.

Edited by dontracy 2013-03-15 11:24 AM
2013-03-15 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Anyone concerned about this guy's possible involvement in or at least ignoring of the Drity War?

Lots of reports getting resurfaced and renewed interest in 1970s/1980s Argentina.

2013-03-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4661143

User image

ejshowers - 

Anyone concerned about this guy's possible involvement in or at least ignoring of the Drity War?

Lots of reports getting resurfaced and renewed interest in 1970s/1980s Argentina.

Eric, do you have any specific articles to link to?

2013-03-15 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4661085

User image

dontracy - 2013-03-15 11:23 AM

GomesBolt - How about if they give equal to the cost of the trip?

Sure. This isn't something Argentinians have to obey necessarily.  Pilgrimages are good things.

It does speak to his genuine humility though. Taking the bus, paying his bill at the hotel, living in a simple apartment in Buenos Aires, cooking his own meals, these all seem to be genuinely what he's about.

Maybe this request is his way of putting the emphasis on Christ through caring for the poor, and not on himself.

Yeah, that was my thought too. Society of Jesus (Jesuits) are the originators of WWJD. Back in the 1500s... quid esset Jesus facere.
2013-03-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4661189

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
dontracy - 2013-03-15 12:08 PM
ejshowers - 

Eric, do you have any specific articles to link to?

Saw something on the LA Times site from today or yesterday which led me to google it and found many hits, but haven't done much reading yet. 

2013-03-15 12:46 PM

User image

I see where Pelosi and Biden are going to the inaugural mass. I get the whole representing the US bit, but I wonder how much this is an attempt at getting a photo OP of them taking communion from the pope or one of his cards while he's in the picture in response to Bishop Michael Sheridan from Colorado or Archbishops Chaput and Wuerl.
2013-03-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4661278

User image

ejshowers - Saw something on the LA Times site from today or yesterday which led me to google it and found many hits, but haven't done much reading yet. 

I haven't either.

Admittedly my first reaction is, "They're going to go after him for something". The "they" being anyone in opposition to the Church.  Similar to accusing Ratzinger of being a Nazi. On the other hand, I don't know recent Argentine history beyond some superficial knowledge.  It's a legitimate subject you bring up.

Here's a post I just found on First Things.  

News flash: The revolutionary left does not like the new Pope. An interview with Brazilian sociologist and Marxist philosopher Michael Lowy offers a particularly pure example of the reasoning behind the Latin American Left’s efforts to discredit the new pope.

His reasoning is as follows: Anyone not a thoroughgoing Marxist revolutionary is de facto complicit with the status quo. Bergoglio is clearly not a thoroughgoing Marxist. Therefore, he was complicit with the junta during their dirty war in Argentina during the 1970s. Details to follow as needed...

2013-03-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4661313

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Jewish, agnostic, and somehat anti-organized religion, so I have no reason to defend or accuse the new Pope, but i thought this was a good article about Pope Francis involvement in the Dirty Wars:

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-tied-argentinas-dirty-war-debate-214609930.html

2013-03-15 4:37 PM

User image

Not completely sure of the timeline, but a thirty-something year old Jesuit is a baby. They have the longest training period of any clergy (8-15 years).

Another aspect of this is that Jesuits usually side one way or another in these events based on direction from the Pope. Pope in 1976 was Paul VI. He had two close friends kidnapped by the Red Brigade, Marxist group. He may have given word not to support the Marxists in Argentina and elsewhere and a young, new Jesuit priest did what he was told.

It's not like he was pushing people into the gas chamber. But passiveness is what has led to many falls throughout history.
2013-03-30 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

Anyone following what is happening with Pope Francis? 

I've taken to reading the Vatican Insider as his actions cause my jaw to drop - wow!  Do they ever impeach popes? (Not counting the cadaver synod)  This guy is radical.  What are the vows of the Jesuits anyhow?

2013-03-30 3:37 PM

User image

Bronze member
Read an article this morning about his visit to the juvenile prison to wash the feet of 12 inmates on Holy Thursday. I was very moved. Breathed some life into my stale attitude this Lent.
2013-03-30 10:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

I believe he washed feet in prisons in Argentina.  It sounds like some folks are upset as he washed the feet of a couple of young women. 

I didn't even know that there was a church rule/teaching/doctrine (I need your help here Dontracy) that the people included in the Holy Thursday ritual were supposed to be "12 chosen men".  I get a bit confused about when "men" means people and when "men" means only folks with mismatched chromosomes.

My recent Lents have been beyond stale - sigh.

2013-03-31 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4679997

Master
Charlotte, NC
annie - 2013-03-30 11:22 AM

Anyone following what is happening with Pope Francis? 

I've taken to reading the Vatican Insider as his actions cause my jaw to drop - wow!  Do they ever impeach popes? (Not counting the cadaver synod)  This guy is radical.  What are the vows of the Jesuits anyhow?

I have apparently missed something.  What has he done recently that is so jaw dropping or "impeachable"?

2013-04-01 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4680474

User image

annie - 

I believe he washed feet in prisons in Argentina.  It sounds like some folks are upset as he washed the feet of a couple of young women. 

I didn't even know that there was a church rule/teaching/doctrine (I need your help here Dontracy) that the people included in the Holy Thursday ritual were supposed to be "12 chosen men".  I get a bit confused about when "men" means people and when "men" means only folks with mismatched chromosomes.

My recent Lents have been beyond stale - sigh.

Here's the US rubric for the Holy Thursday liturgy footwashing ritual.

It reads in part:

4. ...In this regard, it has become customary in many places to invite both men and women to be participants in this rite in recognition of the service that should be given by all the faithful to the Church and to the world. Thus, in the United States, a variation in the rite developed in which not only charity is signified but also humble service.

I don't know what the rubric is in Argentina.  Regardless, I'm sure what Francis did was consistent with the rubric in Rome.

I think Pope Francis is radical only in so far as being Catholic is radical.  In my opinion, he's following his recent predecessors in fully implementing the call of Vatican II.  Each one emphasized certain aspects of the call.

I think this meme sums it up.

(JPII-Benedict-Francis-Faith-Hope-Love-500x238.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
JPII-Benedict-Francis-Faith-Hope-Love-500x238.jpg (34KB - 29 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Conclave Rss Feed  

of 5