General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-24 6:25 AM

Subject: First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

Dear All,

I appreciate that there are a number of threads a bit like this but I guess I'm getting worried (probably rightly!) and was just looking for some advice from people that are a lot more informed than I am.

To give you some background, my brother signed up for the Ironman UK and convinced me to join him to help raise money in memory of our Mum who recently died.  Now, he has a lot of triathlon experience (including doing one up Alpe D'huez) where as I have absolutely no experience.  I have been trying to do the Don Fink plan but in the first 10 weeks I've only managed to average about 6 hours a week.  I'm now looking to up this as my manic time at work is over for the year and I’ll jump into the competitive plan which will give me 19 weeks training at this level.  I'm not jumping into this from the couch (nor am I in great shape) but I am simply looking to finish within the 17hrs (which looks pretty tough).

My swimming is not great.  At current speed I would be finish in about 1hr 55 mins.  Is this reasonable?

My bike is poor and I would really appreciate any suggestions with this.  I simply seem to be lacking the ability to go fast enough and I'm seriously worried about making the cut off as I might be too slow.  I did the London to Paris Cycle ride (3.5 days of about 90-100 miles a day) 2 years ago with no training (and on a mountain bike) but I just can't get the pace up.  Will cycling every day help with this (as an addition to the Fink plan)? Is there anything anyone can suggest?

My running is OKish.  I'm very slow (11:30/mile) but even after fairly long rides I can churn that out and just keep it ticking over.

I apologise for the length and rambling of the email but I’m hoping there might be a few people out there that might be able to help.  I’m not desperate but I’m certainly worried!!

Cheers,

Adam.

2013-03-24 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4671943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

The key for you will be to add volume and speed in your training without overloading your body and getting injured.  One thing I would caution is to have realistic expectations.  Stress your body such that you're building the aerobic base to perform the distances.  If you try and do too much speedwork to get faster you may be inviting injury. Athletes who are incorporating speed and racing at this distance have YEARS of base work under their belts.  

Stick to the plan.  There's no magic in this thing, just consistent, hard work.  If you put in the consistent work to build your base you will be surprised at the speed gains you will have from just doing the work (and losing some weight).  Adding sessions may only serve to invite injury.  With this being your first year in multisport, you don't know how your body will necessarily respond. See how the plan goes.

In the back of the Fink book, he lines out the paces you need to hit to "just finish" How fast are you cycling right now at a pace that you can (or think you can) sustain over the 112 miles? Bear in mind your run pace will be after the swim/bike so probably slower than 11:30/mile.

Be sure to rest and recover well to avoid injury.  Good luck!

2013-03-24 3:53 PM

User image

Expert

Without a clue of your current training.. I'd agree that you must follow your plan religiously. One can't cut corners with endurance. Especially the run portion.

If you can, you might want to get a swim coach for a few lessons. 1hour 55 min will cut it way close and I think you can increase your time on that if you are able to focus on improving your form. Having a better swim will help you get through the rest. DO NOT underestimate the importance of that portion of the training. 

Good luck in your training. 

2013-03-25 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Can you afford to pay a coach?  It might be worthwhile for you so that you can individualize the plan to your current shape.  I would worry about jumping into an x-week plan and not having the base required and then getting injured. 
2013-03-26 6:51 PM

Veteran

If at all possible, I recommend signing up for at least 1 shorter triathlon before your full.  Open water preferably. 

Completing an entire triathlon is a totally different experience than training.  It will give you a chance to run through everything, and experience an OW swim with others around you.

2013-03-31 2:44 PM

If you are disciplined to follow a coach and their training plan, you only need one other thing in my opinion...a mindset on race day to be flexible. Flexible to handle what doesn't go your way...and find a way to keep going regardless.

Flexible after the swim means accepting your swim time and going to the bike leg without acting defeated.

Flexible in the bike means constantly managing your effort against your hydration and nutrition. Which your long rides during training would have helped hone.

Flexible after the bike means mentally leaving the bike leg behind you and adopting a positive attitude towards the run.

Flexible in the run means managing your effort against your hydration, nutrition and the clock. Better to balance and finish in 16:57 then push hard in the first 6 miles, blow up, and DNF. Manage the first 20 miles so you can finish the last 6.2.

I finished 4 IM's last year in 4 weeks without injury. Trust your coach. Become an expert on your personal endurance engine. Do EVERY LONG WORKOUT in training!!! Then be flexible on race day. Even pro's walk during the run in an IM!

2013-04-01 7:18 PM

Expert

I will offer a contrary position.  An iron distance triathlon is very hard on the body, and 17 hours of aerobic activity when you are not trained for it, could bring serious repercussions.  An open water swim in an ironman is challenging for even experienced swimmers, and you admit to your limitations.

You will find encouragement on this board, but do not let it substitute for good judgement.  You are ultimately responsible for the decision to compete in an ironman distance race, and you are being honest with yourself, you are not ready.  Honor your Mum by raising money in other shorter races with the goal of getting yourself in condition to confidently finish an ironman. 

2013-04-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4675793

User image

Veteran
ersmith29 - 2013-03-26 7:51 PM

If at all possible, I recommend signing up for at least 1 shorter triathlon before your full.  Open water preferably. 

Completing an entire triathlon is a totally different experience than training.  It will give you a chance to run through everything, and experience an OW swim with others around you.

^^^This is very good advice, it will make a world of difference.

2013-04-16 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
You have 19 weeks to decide.  Relax.  The decsion does not have to be made now.  Even if you pull the plug later, the training will benefit you.  It will be tough for everyone there,  not just you.  Do not worry right now.  Use that energy to expore what you can afford and what time you can devote.  Then get a coach, a better bike, set up race wheel rentals, etc if posssible.  Make a commitment to relax, enjoy the training, and to really if you will race based on your long bricks 5 to 6 weeks out from race day - not based on our opinions. We can not evaluate how determined you are and how hard you are willing to work for 19 weeks.  Heck you do not even know that yet - its your first.  Ironmans are tough but very very far from impossible.  Enjoy the training and what your body will acomplish.  Make for dang sure though that you have a good plan and someone with experience to talk to.  Enjoy the journey and let the cards fall where they may for race day.  Your Mum will be honered either way by your memories and reflection during a wonderful journey.  just my .02$
2013-04-16 2:14 PM

Condolences on your mum but you may want to give this some serious thought as not the best idea. There is so many things that go into completing a full ironman that without any previous experience with shorter races and a longer preparation period to handle the bodily stress you will encounter you stand a good chance of not only not finishing but worst case ending up on the side of the road in a pile or on a gourney in the med tent. If you truly want to do this take the time to do smaller races and build up your endurance over time. I'm not saying its impossible to do and I'm sure there have been plenty that have done it without much training but I guarantee you it wasn't a pleasant experience for them. I will have 2 solid years of training and racing shorter to longer distances building to attempt my first Full Ironman. This will not only give me the best chance I will finish but also have a great experience. Good luck with your decision either way.

2013-04-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4702636

Regular
Guelph, ON
kstater39 - 2013-04-16 11:19 AM

You have 19 weeks to decide.  Relax.  The decsion does not have to be made now.  Even if you pull the plug later, the training will benefit you.  It will be tough for everyone there,  not just you.  Do not worry right now.  Use that energy to expore what you can afford and what time you can devote. 

Not exactly. The OP needs to decide now if he wants to do the IM. If so, he needs to commit to the work required. There are no shortcuts to IM.

You are correct that he can decide at a later date to pull the plug, but if he's going to succeed, he can't wait for tomorrow and see what happens. Sounds like that's what got him into trouble in the first place.

2013-04-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4702941

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
sorry I was not clear. I assumed everyone makes a 100% commitment to training. I thought, the question was to toe the line race day as the fear was that the op would be put in danger due to lack of being ready in time. If that is not assumed and training is not done with all out effort then my post is completely wrong. Thanks for the clearifacation kkoole.

Edited by kstater39 2013-04-17 8:58 AM
2014-07-14 11:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Canyon, Texas
What does your experienced brother think about your preparedness and fitness level? The swim cut-off is typically 2:20. You are set. Run cut-off is essentially 6:30 or a 15 min/mi pace. You are set. Bike fitness will make or break your IM... it is very easy for time to slip away from you. I would recommend making this your focus for the next 19 weeks. To make the bike cut-off, you only need to average a 14 mph pace. You have already made a commitment- IM is a great undertaking but not impossible. Keep your expectations reasonable, prepare like crazy, give it your best shot and live with the results.

Edited by tlancer23 2014-07-14 11:07 PM
2014-07-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

The OP is 16 months old...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried. Rss Feed