General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Plymouth, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1/94
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not much to this. We had been on a Disney Cruise and then 2 nights at Disney World with the family in the week prior to this. Naturally, our flight back to MN on Saturday was delayed, so we didn't make it home until 10:30. I signed up for the first wave such that I could make it home in time for church. Now I was regretting it... Anyway, up at 6, quick bowl of cereal and off to the gym.
Event warmup:

Knowing that I haven't been doing as much as I should, I spent 10 minutes stretching (which is 10 minutes more than usual). Since I was in the first wave, the pool was open for warm-ups. I swam 500yds, mixing easy and hard as well as some drill work to loosen.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 725 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very good swim overall. There was one guy keeping pace with me for much of the 10 minutes, which really helped me to push the pace and focus on technique. My turns were good, as I would gain about 1 yard at each wall. I paused briefly at 300yds to fix a leaking goggle, but otherwise swam pretty consistent throughout. I won my heat, which was all I really could ask for.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, other than drag my butt out of bed to get to my masters classes.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

This was a fixed 10 minute transition. With a little hustle, I was the second person into the spin studio and had plenty of time to set up the bike and warm up the legs

nothing
Bike
  • 30m
  • 17.3 miles
  • 34.60 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal here was to go comfortably hard, such that I still had life in my legs for the run. I found that I could have conversation in 3-5 word sentences, which I figured was a solid pace (HR monitor wasn't working...again). I kept my cadence up near 140 for much of the ride, then accelerated to 150-160 over the last 5 minutes. This again gave me the best distance for my wave.

I think I could have pushed a little harder on the overall pace, but I can't complain about the run that followed.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Just run from spin room up to treadmills. again, with some hustle I had time to stretch and warm up the legs for 1-2 minutes before the actual run started.

nothing
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.89 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal here was to run at a pace I could hold onto for the first 15 minutes, then build to a sprint over the last 5 minutes. Set the treadmill at 8.6 mph to start and settled in nicely. At 5 minutes, I thought this might be too easy. At 8-9 minutes, it was feeling hard, but just right. By 12 minutes, I wanted off but kept pushing. At 14, I increased to 8.7. At 16, set the treadmill to 9 mph/ Finally, at 18 minutes I turned it up to 10.5. Judging by my breathing at the end and the fact that my legs (and my head) were screaming to jump off the treadmill, I think I gave it all I had.

Nothing! maybe next time I'll start at 8.7 or 8.8, but I'm very happy with this performance
Post race
Warm down:

I walked on another treadmill for about 5 minutes, then stretched and showered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and the excess weight I picked up on my cruise. I was actually surprised that I improved over my previous indoor tri in all 3 disciplines (even if only marginally). I suppose it's time to start setting goals for the upcoming season. If I reasonably expect to improve without injury, I better get serious about training, especially the run.

Event comments:

Well run, though it should be given that they run this event twice a year at this location. The visor was a nice change-up to the usual tech tee (though I ruined my shirt from last year with a wipe-out on my bike last summer).

Last updated: 2013-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 725 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/94
Performance: Good
1:12, 1:23, 1:25, 1:27, 1:27, 1:24, 1:21
Suit: Jammer
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 17.3 miles | 34.60 mile/hr
Overall: 3/94
Wind:
Course: Spin bike with speed sensor duct taped to the flywheel. Set minimal resistance to keep my butt on the seat and pedal as fast as I could tolerate
Road:   Cadence: 140
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.89 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 3/94
Peaked out at 185 with the final kick.
Course: Treadmill, flat
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-28 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon

2013-03-28 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4677738

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon
Outstanding swim, and great run!  Nicely done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed