United States
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is a local race just a few miles from our house. Hubby was excited about biking the hills and nervous about drowning in the swim. I can swim but can't get past some panic issues and I was terrified of the hills. We both are weenies about the cold and weren't sure how to dress for a cold swim and then biking in cold temps.
Event warmup:

This was my first race in wetsuit and had only been out in it for 10 min the prior day. Waded in to my waist to let the water begin seeping in; also slightly splashed face and arms. When wave 5 began (I was in the last wave, wave 6), I ducked down so the water could get in thru sleeveless arms.
Swim
  • 19m 42s
  • 656 yards
  • 03m / 100 yards
Comments:

I hate, hate, hate, hate contact. I started at the back left. Shocked at the lack of visibility but then realized that was normal for the muddy start so kept head out of water for few more strokes. Then kicked by two separate Clydes and pulled back to let everyone go.

Soon, I don't know why, I took a huge gulp of the tasty water. It just messed with my psyche. I immediately began to backstroke and pretty much stayed with that for the whole race. I tried to butt kick myself into freestyling and would for a while but then either contact or breathe control or fear would send me back to the backstroke. Siting is hard with backstroke.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to deal with contact. Force myself to freestyle instead of going to the slower backstroke. Basically HTFU.
Transition 1
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

Exited the water slightly dizzy. Had my wetsuit down to my waist quickly but then it really wouldn't come off although I was lubed up. Was worried about the cold but decided not to put on tights. Took FOREVER to put on my socks. The long sleeve shirt, tobaggon, shoes, gloves, helmet, and sunglasses went on easier. Lori, Tally's own Jillian Michaels, got in my face several times and yelled, "Move, move, move!" I love her but she slightly scares me.

Not brought compression socks. Move faster.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 43s
  • 16 miles
  • 12.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I was shivering and the hill at mile 1 just about killed me. I wanted to turn around but I thought of my sweet mentor group and wouldn't/couldn't. I saw no one and thought I was in last place. Around mile 7, simultaneously I was passed and saw someone pull out of the race so I inherited the tail police car.

Folks, let me admit something. I HATE BEING LAST. I felt like I should be branded with a big ole L for Loser. I thought about how the finishers would have to wait for me to return before they could get their gear out of transition. How humiliating! But then I thought about it and I have never in my life considered last place finishers to be losers. NEVER. So why did I give myself that label?

But I did do one thing right. A couple of years ago I developed ITB issues at mile 17 of a marathon. I stomped for multiple miles before I decided that I could be an a.h. or I could be gracious. So I resolved to try to always be pleasant in a race - no matter how bad I sucked. So at least I smiled and thanked everyone. Even joked with that cop tailing my butt.

Right before the end, I passed someone and find it's a friend. We yell encouragement to each other although the distance, the wind, and the helmets kept us from hearing everything. We finished tho.

Train on hills. Train on flats. Train, train, train.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Hard time racking bike because three bikes were on top of my stuff; man, they were crammed in wrong. Removed helmet, tobaggon, shoes and got my running shoes. Almost forgot to grab my bib.

Not worried about racking bike on top of my gear.
Run
  • 33m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Did fine on the run. Not nearly what I should do but what I expected after a hard ride. Feet were frozen until mile 2 which is great for my PF.

While on the trail, I could hear some WooHoo's and then started hearing my name. Couldn't find who it was until the group came around the corner. It was all of the cute, young, fast people who were going out for a cool-down run. It made me smile.

Wish I had more in the tank but I didn't.

Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and hubby said we need to go so we can see son's baseball game. Lugged all equipment out, loaded, home, unloaded, shower, and then hit the road within an hour of finshing to drive to Ga for son's baseball game.

Several days before this race, I was thinking of pulling out. It was going to be cold and my training had not been what it should have been. My son needed a ride to the school for the bus for his out of town baseball game and logistics were tough with both K and I racing. I thought about sleeping in, taking him to the school, and then being on time for the game. Instead I didn't. Instead I get hugs from one of our fast cute guys (Think a young, non-scruffy Brad Pitt with better checkbones), cheered by the young, energetic speedsters, saw lots and lots of friends, and even tho I was cold, it was a gorgeous day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, panic issues, PF, mental.

Event comments:

Very well organized and lots of sweet, cheerful, helpful volunteers.

Last updated: 2013-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:42 | 656 yards | 03m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: sleeveless
Course: rectangle, right at each buoy
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:25
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:43 | 16 miles | 12.51 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: rectangle. Hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:49 | 03.11 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: First mile on road, 2nd mile on trail, last mile on road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-01 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Red Hills Tri

2013-04-01 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4681397

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Red Hills Tri

I am so glad you didn't quit.  You are a finisher and I proud of you.  Remember at IMFL, the crowd cheering for the people who barely make it in before being DQ'ed for time.  Remember how proud you are of them.  Well, I'm proud of you!  Keep at it!  It was fun wasn't it!

2013-04-01 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Good Job Pam!  What I said in our mentor group is 100% true...I failed to realize it was a sprint and not a HIM like our buddy Brian *blush*
2013-04-01 8:06 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nice job! Rare to have the combination of cold water and cold air temps during race season in the South. Makes for a tough day. Great job to stick with it and finish. Always feels good to accomplish something when we doubt our ability to do so! 
2013-04-01 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Feeling a little stupid about the HIM thing... sorry about that, just can't quite keep up with everyone.  Congrats on your race and perseverance!  One of the things I love/hate about triathlons is that regardless of how one trains, there are race things that pop up (kicks, flats, etc.) that probably are the true test of our mental preparation.  Sounds like you passed those with flying colors!
2013-04-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4681530

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Pam-

I love you! So glad to have you out there with me on Saturday! You finished and not everyone can say that about Saturday!

I'm proud of you and I know what you are capable of!

2013-04-01 8:54 AM

User image

I was pleasantly surprised you did this race at all, Pam, based on your lost mojo the last month. I'm impressed you dug deep and got to the start line. Way to go! I know I would have bailed with all you had going on. Seeing Karl was the first one to give you a reponse to your race report and reading how proud of you he is, just brought happy tears to my eyes. (I'm a softee).

I loved that you determined to make it a positive, encouraging day in the midst of finishing a tough swim and dealing with cold temps. You're my hero and I, too, am proud of you!

2013-04-01 9:30 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Well done Pam!  Sounds like a rough day -- good on you for toughing it out.

Scott.

2013-04-01 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Pam, loved your race report!  I've been in a similar situation (DFL out of T1).  After fighting back tears for a few lonely miles on the bike, I remember a shift in thinking to "Hey, how often do they keep the streets shut down just for me?".  Glad you rallied and made the best out of what the day brought.  That right there is a huge victory, not to mention overcoming your fears in the process.  Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Hills Tri Rss Feed