United States
USAT MidEast Region
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 45s
Overall Rank = 58/96
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 6:30 AM, got a shower shaved and got my gear pulled together as well as got dressed for the race.

Had several glasses of OJ, coffee, and english muffin with egg and sausage. I was not really that hungry. Drove over to the packet pick-up and got my packet, as well as got marked.

I had driven the bike course the night before, so I knew it was a little hilly. Got my gear set up in the transition area. Since nothing was marked it was more or less a free for all.

They had a pre-race meeting to talk about the swim course as well as the bike course. I took the boat over to the start area, only to realize 1/2 there that I had left my goggles back in the transition area... DOH! I was able to go back and get them, got the last boat back to the start area.

At the pre-race meeting the organizers insisted on playing "the chicken dance" errr well "The duck dance" that is. Then they told us about the swim course and bike course.
Event warmup:

Walked some, but not much more than that. Did a quick 100 yard swim once we were in the lake.
Swim
  • 20m 52s
  • 933 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I could tell the last month of being out of the water had effected me. First I could not swim a straight line, kept vering off to the left. Second had to swim most of this in the breast stroke. I was pretty frustrated with myself for that.
What would you do differently?:

Not take the last month off from the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Well they made you run up the hill to start the bike. I did not put my shoes on the bike, just ran in them. It took a little time to get my shirt on, other than that everything went very smoothly.

Not much, I am getting a Tri-Jersey, but who KNOWS when it will be in. The Tri-club ordered them MONTHS ago, then the guy designing it desided to change the design.
Bike
  • 38m 15s
  • 9.4 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good about the ride, I stayed within my plan. I was hoping to complete it within 45 minutes and beat that time. I was rather pleased with that.

Try to push a little harder on the last 20 minutes of the course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

The transition was down a hill, so you could not run down the hill. I am not sure how long the transition took. I forgot to hit my lap button.
Run
  • 31m 7s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was pretty hilly, 6 climbs. Several again in the 10% or higher grade. Most of my training has been level ground, so I was not really ready for a hilly course.

I ended up walkin a lot more of this than I wanted to. I was just not ready for the hills.

Do more hill workouts
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got some thing to drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper training for the race. Not enough hill workouts on the bike and running. Lack of time in the pool.

Event comments:

This is the first year back for this race. They did a pretty good job, it was not chip timed, so there is no way to check to see how I did in each area. I was rather disappointed by that. The after race stuff was pretty good, although the sister-in-law of the race director got the prize for traveling the farthest for the race (I think that was pretty cheesy).

I am hoping they continue the race, and next year chip time it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:52 | 933 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/96
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:15 | 9.4 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Performance: Good
First 4 miles I was in Zone 3 and 4, then dropped back into zone 3 and 2.
Wind: Little
Course: There were 3 turn-arounds on this course, 2 fairly large hills, 4 hills that hit 10% grade. None of the hills were killers, but several of the down hills either went right or left at the bottom so you really could not take advantage of the speed build up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:07 | 02.6 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
kept in the Z2 - Z3
Course: An out and back with an extra loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-08 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Lame Duck TRY-Athlon

2006-07-08 10:44 PM
in reply to: #476836

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Lame Duck TRY-Athlon Home Page
Sounds like an adventure. " 10 % hills were not that bad" , you must being doing better than you are letting on! Keep it going and get back in the pool.
2006-07-10 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
The picture is after the race and awards, I am number 247, the other guy is the Tri-Club president.
2006-07-10 1:18 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
So...did you swim without goggles, or were you able to get back for the wayward equipment?

2006-07-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #477928

User image

Expert
Earth
I was able to get them, good thing too.  The last 100 feet of the swim was pretty muddy.  I had to get through all the other swimmers mud they stirred up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lame Duck TRY-Athlon Rss Feed