General Discussion Triathlon Talk » experience with Newtons?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-27 12:08 PM
in reply to: TripleThreatTri

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: experience with Newtons??
I love my Newtons. I run in the Newton Distance. It took me about a month of short runs, with slowly progressing in distance to get used to them but once I did, I was happy with the results. Better form, slightly faster times are enough evidence for me to keep using them.

2013-09-27 12:41 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
the last poster just reminded me that I did also want to add that given the price I was disappointed that one of my pairs didn't make it to my normal new shoes mileage (about 400 miles). The bottoms were fine but the mesh on the top broke. I was a bit disappointed on this but mainly cos I use my "retired" running shoes for general wear and walking but had to throw them away
2013-09-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: cajnrunner

User image

New user
To all who have successfully transitioned,

I started with 20 min once a week adding 10 min per week. I am now up to an hr on the distance S+. I have pronation on where the foot where I feel the PF. The S+ definitely feel more supportive than the S but not nearly as much as I was used to with the Brooks Adrenaline.

How does it feel while you were transitioning? My feet / legs are okay during and post run. It is just this 5 minute of first thing in the morning pain / pinch on my PF. I am worry this annoyance may progress into something worse. I am stretching the PF and calves nightly and it seems to help slightly.

2013-09-27 1:30 PM
in reply to: peterliu88

User image

Originally posted by peterliu88

I started with 20 min once a week adding 10 min per week. I am now up to an hr on the distance S+. I have pronation on where the foot where I feel the PF. The S+ definitely feel more supportive than the S but not nearly as much as I was used to with the Brooks Adrenaline.

How does it feel while you were transitioning? My feet / legs are okay during and post run. It is just this 5 minute of first thing in the morning pain / pinch on my PF. I am worry this annoyance may progress into something worse. I am stretching the PF and calves nightly and it seems to help slightly.

are you using any other kind of insoles in your shoes (both running and every day)? I had a follow-up with the podiatrist the other day for my PF and he actually explained it a lot better than everyone else (since i've been dealing with it for close to 8 months now). It could be that you are developing bone spurs down in the area where the PF joins to the bone (I have a doozy on both feet, but only the one foot - ironically, the one with the smaller spur - is the one that actually bugs me). But insoles have helped
2013-09-27 1:47 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

New user
No insole of any kind. The Brooks Adrenaline is actually perfect for me. This is probably a classic case of fixing something not broken. How long / much did the PF bother you before you went to see a podiatrist? Did you get an x-ray to confirm the bone spur?

I am still confuse as to what the transition means. I no longer feel sore after / during running. So does this mean I have adjusted?
Am I hurting my PF by continuing with Newton? Or should I continue in order to strengthen myself to overcome the PF?

I'm at a cross road. When I get out of bed in the morning I feel like I should quit the Newton. By the time I have my morning coffee I change my mind and think I'm so close I should try to overcome the PF and continue transition, strengthen / stretch my calf / PF.

Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by peterliu88

are you using any other kind of insoles in your shoes (both running and every day)? I had a follow-up with the podiatrist the other day for my PF and he actually explained it a lot better than everyone else (since i've been dealing with it for close to 8 months now). It could be that you are developing bone spurs down in the area where the PF joins to the bone (I have a doozy on both feet, but only the one foot - ironically, the one with the smaller spur - is the one that actually bugs me). But insoles have helped
2013-09-27 5:04 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Regular
I always used racing flats for training and racing 20 marathons before minimalist shoes were everywhere, then went to Vibrams, then Newton MV2 (MV3 now) because the Vibrams are too cold in the winter. I love them, but they were made for how I run.

2013-09-27 10:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have had the gravity and distance for a couple years now. I run in different shoes pretty much every day so the Newtons get rotated in and out. I have worn the distance for both an open HM and a HIM run and did well both times. They have never really bothered my calves or Achilles but I have found that over time I really disliked the pressure on my forefoot from the lugs.

A couple months ago I noticed that I hadn't used the Newtons in a long time. They had fallen completely out of the rotation and I really couldn't see them coming back in. I decided to do something radical. I used a shop grinder to take off the lugs and started running in them again. They are super comfortable. I essentially have a very light, very comfortable, zero drop? trainer and racer. They may wear out pretty quickly from here but for now I really like them again.

Obviously I'm not buying any more. There are just so many great shoes out there for $100 or less.

Right now I am mostly running in the Kinvara which is fantastic right out of the box. No grinding required
2013-09-29 7:28 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
I run in Newtons for about three years and really like them. I was a big heal striker and have shortened my stride, increased my strides per minute and am much more comfortable. I remember it took like six weeks to switch over but I was a big heal striker with orthotics. I take the insoles out of the shoes and love the shoes. It took a while to find the best fit; but once I did, I'll never go back to anything else. Good luck.
2013-09-29 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Took 3,4 runs to get used to them. Love them!!. Use them for all run except trail.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » experience with Newtons?? Rss Feed  

of 2