Team Evergreen
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 9h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of Cheerios and out the door. Uh-oh... it was raining at the house when I left at 4:45am.
Event warmup:

Rode 1/2 mile to drop off clothes bag, enjoyed the porta-potties, and made some phone calls to friends. Looked for a priest to see if any last rites were being offered. Left the event start at precisely 6am and began pedaling into the belly of the beast.
Bike
  • 9h 45m
  • 120 miles
  • 12.31 mile/hr
Comments:

This was grueling and flat-out dangerous. I saw several ambulances working their way up and down the course, and I'm concerned about what that was all about.

It really is a wonderful ride, and the event is exceedingly well run, but I think it just ran into a buzz-saw of bad luck with the weather. The volunteers were amazing to stand out in the cold like that, and I have to think that their commitment under the conditions has to make them the greatest group I've seen.
What would you do differently?:

I think that I would seriously consider just skipping an event like this under these weather conditions in the future. I'm concerned that it's potentially pretty dangerous. Otherwise, setting up a private sag would have been very helpful.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed a very nice little barbecue and changed out of drenched biking gear. Made it in plenty of time for the first bus out of there, so I went straight back to Denver and out to a small party that night.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have gone much faster, but there were mountains in the way. The freezing, torrential rain tended to slow things down a bit, as well.

Event comments:

Holy shamoly, this event was nuts. The course is about as tough as anyone can make a ride in Colorado, and coupling freezing rain on the front third with warm drizzle on the second third makes it both grueling and dangerous.

The event was capped at 3500, but I would imagine that several hundred probably had the good sense to sleep in that morning. The first section up Squaw Pass was mobbed, and the descent on the back was extremely treacherous with a downpour of freezing rain. Visibility was shot, brakes were soaked, rain gear wasn't enough (should have worn my wetsuit), and shivvering on a bike is just no fun.

I think the descent knocked a large number of the participants out of the event, as the course really thinned out. The Aid Station at Loveland Ski Area looked something like a war zone, and it was set up in a dirt parking lot that was turned to mud. By the time we were over Loveland Pass, I think the majority of riders had come to their senses and found other ways to just get home and call it a day, because the remainder of the course was entirely wide open.

At the finish line in Avon, riders were coming across in dribs and drabs to genuine cheers and looks of amazement from families and friends, but I'd be very surprised if more than about a third of riders finished on this day.

Juliapurr was thoughtful enough to try to track me down and have me ride with her group, a kindness for which I am most grateful, and reinforcement to me that this is a fantastic website.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-12-31 12:00 AM
Biking
09:45:00 | 120 miles | 12.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: From Evergreen (just outside Denver) over Squaw pass into Idaho Springs, then up I-70 through Georgetown to Loveland Ski Area, over Loveland pass and down into Dillon, around to Copper Mountain, up and over Vail pass, then just past Vail to Avon. This is actually nuts. Over 10,000 ft. climbing at substantial elevation.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 9:27 AM

User image

Denver
Subject: Triple Bypass Ride

2006-07-09 9:55 AM
in reply to: #476952

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Triple Bypass Ride (Not a Race)
Nice work and well said... Lilia and I stuck it out too and I can confirm your comments! Cheers.
2006-07-09 10:33 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Wow!  Way to go...
2006-07-09 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Great job, Rich! You should be twice as proud for finishing this ride in condidtions like yesterday!
I can't believe, you went out to a party after this! We stayed at friends condo in Copper. He invited us to a party too, but we basically fell asleep after the first beer
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Bypass Ride Rss Feed