USAT MidEast Region
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 44s
Overall Rank = 32/97
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

I woke up early and took a soak in the hot tub and then did some stretching on the deck since it was a nice cool morning. I went to eat my regular prerace bagels but realized that we were out so I ate some quick oats. While eating I did my double check on my transition bag and made sure everything was loaded in the car. Drank some sports drink and then woke up my wife to get her up and running to take me to the race. Got to the race and registered and then started to set up my area. Boarded the first ferry over to the start and then just chatted with some folks and stretched for a bit before the prerace meeting.
Event warmup:

Stretched for a bit before the race and during the prerace meeting. When they let us in the water I did a few strokes to get ready and then grabbed the noodle line and got ready for the start.
Swim
  • 17m 14s
  • 933 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first open water swim. I never practiced but I was aware of what to expect. I practiced in the pool on my sighting and spotting, etc but that was harder then what I expected. My back started to cramp and then spotting became more difficult.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more spotting and learn to pace myself better at the start. I felt comfortable and not like I let out too fast but I found myself having to take air on just the right side and do the breathstroke just to spot.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

On the ferry to the start I realized that my sunglasses were still on so I had to put them in my prerace bag for the directors to bring back to the start. I remembered I had another pair in my transition bag so I had to grab those when I got to the bike. I think my T1 went ok. Shoes and socks went on great, tank top went right on and then started to head to the bike start.

New system for gloves. I thougt i would be able to have them strapped to my handle bars and slip my left hand in and then break the velcro and put the right on one... well it did not work out that great and I was all over the road trying to get it together. I would also GU at T1 just for the extra boost.
Bike
  • 36m 14s
  • 9.1 miles
  • 15.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Yup read the course report. Hills hills and hills. Got up to 38 on the downhill but only to be met with a wall and little momentium to get up the next one.

Make sure to GU before the bike to finish hard and to practice more hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Transition went well. The only hard part was getting off the bike on a downhill and then running downhill in cycling shoes. Yanks are great! Slipped my runners on then took off.

Do more bricks... especially since the course right out of the T was a big climb.
Run
  • 2425m
  • 2.6 miles
  • 15h 32m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was great at 8:30 and then the second mile I hit a wall and started to dehydrate so I had to walk twice... 10:30. Final half mile was down hill so that was a little rough on the knees but I finished strong

do more bricks... all my times were off average. I hopped for 7:30 miles but that did not seem to happen. Eat a better breakfast to keep up energy level
Post race
Event comments:

great even and will do again next year. A great time for first time racers. The neighborhood association had a huge cookout after the race and there was all the food and drink you could want.

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:14 | 933 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/97
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: point swim with mass start. The start was nice because the course director put a line of noodles out in the water for everyone to hold on to at the start. Made my first mass start a little easier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:14 | 9.1 miles | 15.07 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Holy crap I was not ready for these hills. I have been riding a lot of KY rolling hills and I thought this course would be much like what I have been riding during practice. I can usually average between 18 and 19 mph. for 20 miles but during the race I think I was down to 15 and running out of gears. I was down to all my gears and had to get out of the saddle for a bit. I tried to stay down but I needed to get up to make some of the final climbs.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:2425:00 | 02.6 miles | 15h 32m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: good amount of hills... not really anything flat just either up or down. People were nice and water and sprinklers set up for us to run into
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 8:15 PM

User image

Kentucky
Subject: Lame Duck TRY-Athlon Home Page

2006-07-10 9:01 PM
in reply to: #477215

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Lame Duck TRY-Athlon Home Page

It sure didn't help that the down hills pretty much all led to right or left turns.  The only down hill that didn't was not that long, but you got it out then back.  I loved that downhill curve at the school, with the sharp right turn at the bottom, you get a little speed then had to dump it all or face getting penalty time.

The run was great, it was good to have the sprinklers.

The only thing I wish is that they would have had timing chips, hard to know how I did in each area.

2006-07-10 9:12 PM
in reply to: #478390

User image

Kentucky
Subject: RE: Lame Duck TRY-Athlon Home Page
I agree... the hills were great I got up to 38-40 on the down but single digits on the ups. By the time the bike was over my legs were shot and the run just went down hill.

Chips would be great because I forgot to start my watch on the swim but I figured out the time after I got the final time from the race.

I am doing Louisville in two weeks and then the Tri for sight in sept and then I am done for the season
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lame Duck TRY-Athlon Home Page Rss Feed