RYKA Iron Girl
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got 2 hours of sleep. If I hadn't planned on meeting my friend Claire by the highway and driving up together, I would have skipped the race. I had a huge dunkin donuts iced coffee and half a bagel.
Event warmup:

Saw Nikki briefly at packet pick-up. Met up with Kathy, Emily and Kevin. Then Monica and her husband and dog.
Then saw May, Ellen, Donna and Mike.
I waited in a big line for the port a potty. Of course by the time the race was about to start I had to go again. I wasn't brave like Ellen to wait until 1 minute before gun time to go.
Run
  • 1h 08m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

1st mile was slow because you had to weave in and out of people. It was pretty clogged.
I saw May running by and ran with her for about 1 1/2 mile. At the turn around we spotted Ellen and May sprinted ahead to catch her. I said I would try to catch up but I just couldn't and I really had to pee. I tried to use a port a potty on the course but the woman in there didn't want to come out. What to do? I just started running again.
At about mile 4 I felt like I might hurl. I was drinking at the water stops and that made it worse but I felt really hot.
I couldn't stop thinking about how much I hate to run...for real. I wasn't in a good place mentally.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better nights sleep. This is the first time I've ever felt pukey during an event...I didn't like it!
I would have used the bathroom even if I missed the gun time.
Post race
Warm down:

My hands were seriously swollen! Worse than usual. I have no isea why this happens.
I went through the food tent and nothing was appealing to me cause I still felt sick.
"would you like a breakfast burrito" a guy asked me....OMG.. just those words almost made me throw up. I ended up eating a few bites of fruit and a gatoraid and started feeling better.
Hung out with the other BT'ers and my friend Claire.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I started out too fast, instead of saving something for miles 4-6. Lack of sleep. Had to use the bathroom.

Event comments:

This was a well run race with great tech t shirts and medals. It was fun hanging out before and after.
I will probably do this again next year.

Last updated: 2006-06-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:08:30 | 06.21 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
This was my watch time. The start was very slow going.
Course: 2 loops around Marina Bay...nice and flat. not as scenic as I had hoped.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 12:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Boston - 10K

2006-07-10 3:43 AM
in reply to: #477328

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Boston - 10K

great run Patty!  I was happy to see you there, even if you only had 2 hours of sleep.  I hope your sausage fingers are all better by now  LOL

See you at Old Colony, right? 

2006-07-11 7:13 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Sorry that you felt sick.  Lack of sleep might be the reason.  I had experience of swollen hands, sometimes wven with brisk-walking. 

It's great to have arranged to meet someone before the race so it forced you to go, and you did it!  GOod for you.

2006-07-11 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You looked perky and your normal fun self...I didn't notice you felt off.

Nice running there...speedy given all you were dealing with at the race. I can't beleive that women wouldn't come out of the porta potty! Weird...wonder what she was dealing with...oh guess I don't want to know.

You did it and next time you need to suck it up when it is hard and you feel bad, it might be easier.

It was great to see you as always!

2006-07-11 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Gald  you had people to enjoy the race with.  Good run time despite the need to pee.  That about the avg you sleep normally.  What was the problem? (sorry).  I hate trying to time out the port a potty. What do people do in there and do that stuff at home.

Sorry for the upset tummy.  Next time make it a big fat salt bagel that will hold your water in.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Boston - 10K Rss Feed