Race Day Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 16s
Overall Rank = 9/?
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

I have a long history with rough days at the Trideltathon... seemingly each year something has to go "wrong." This year is no exception. I go to bed at around 7:30 Saturday night, and lay there... for HOURS. I don't know what it was, I just couldn't fall asleep. It wasn't nerves, I slept like a baby the night before big races, I don't think it was caffeine... no idea what it was. Finally around 1:30 in the morning I move to the couch and watch Anchorman. At 4 I decide it's pointless now to even try, so I get up and start mainlining Espresso. I get to the race venue around 7 and realize I forgot my powertap headunit... sigh. Great start.
Event warmup:

I run a bit, ride the course and then hop in the pool. It's outside and still quite cool,so as I stand and wait for the national anthem to finish my teeth are literally chattering it's so friggin cold.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't have a great swim. I don't know if it was standing out in the cold or what, but I just didn't get in a good rhythm. Got passed by two people but tried not to let it phase me, just focused on getting out of the water as soon as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Probably skip the warmup in the water next time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Seemed like a pretty good transition for me. No mishaps, everything seemed to go right. Out on the road and into my shoes pretty quick, although the rubber band I used must have been the worlds strongest... it refused to break until about halfway through the ride!!!

Use weaker bands :)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 6 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It's the first time I've ever used my roadie in a sprint over my tri bike... so I was a bit apprehensive. This course has a lot of turns and climbing, so we (myself and David) decided that the Roadie + Shorty bars (and a disc / jet 9) would be the best route. It turned out to be absolutely fantastic. I had the aero position for the straights, but all of the control of my roadie over potholes and through tight turns.
Also, the crits I've been doing I can tell have made a difference. I was much more comfortable holding all my speed through turns. I don't think I used the brakes once.

Nada, I was happy with it.

From the results posted I was in 1st place after the bike. (which just shows I still suck as a runner)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I remembered last year having trouble getting out of my shoes up a hill, so I had them off extra early this year. It worked out great, so yay. Everything went well except I ran to the wrong side of my rack to mount the bike, so I had to hop underneath to get to my shoes. Woops. Otherwise a good t2

not be a doofus.
Run
  • 22m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run the same way I do at the Trideltathon every year... with a side stitch!? #@$@%!!! I don't get it, I NEVER get side stitches (in fact the last one I got was last year... at this race) but I always get one here... I suppose it has to do with the cold weather. Anyways, I wasn't happy about it but I somewhat expected it, so when it hit I wasn't caught off guard. My mental blocks were up and I ran the first two miles at my normal pace despite the pain in the side. This is a big step for me, I'm hoping that in another season or so I'll be a real runner.

No water!? Yeesh... they didn't have the stations set up fast enough for the first people coming through, so we missed all water. Not a dealbreaker, but it kinda sucked.

Run more. Duh.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line (got outsprinted...sigh) got some fuel and found the family.

None the less, I broke the cycle of 3rd place finishes and squeezed out my first 1st place (AG) at the Trideltathon! YES!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sleeping the night before :)

Event comments:

I like this race, the Delta x3 girls make it worth going to :) There were plenty of drinks / food (even mcdonalds) post race, which my dad enjoyed :P

Overall a great race in Knoxville.

Last updated: 2013-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 400m snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 06 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Out around campus.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:16 | 03 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Course: A new course this year. Liked it better than the last course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-15 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: TriDeltaThon

2013-04-15 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4700423

Subject: RE: TriDeltaThon

He's got the splits posted now, but looks like transitions are lumped in with the bike. 

I looked for your tri bike but didn't see it, so I didn't think you had done the race until they announced your name at the awards.  I was going to introduce myself, maybe next time.  I managed to get second place in my age group, but there were a couple more my age ahead of me who placed in overall or Clydesdale, so I really was fifth I guess.  They didn't have the water set up when I came thru either, and trust me, I was nowhere near the first people through!

2013-04-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4700423

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: TriDeltaThon
ahh sorry I missed you. It's pretty unusual of me not to be riding on of the tri steeds Thanks for the heads up I'll try to get the splits up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriDeltaThon Rss Feed