Life Time Fitness
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 28s
Overall Rank = 183/418
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/58
Pre-race routine:

The weekend began with a leisurely stroll with my son through the obstacle course at Warrior Dash. A little 5K with plenty of mud and climbing. Not my normal routine, but it was well worth it, and not overly tiring. The only problem with it all was the climbing and lateral movement had some effect on my abdominal problems which have been with me since January.

I had not been thinking too much about this race, so my preparation was a bit less than focused (even though I just finished IM Oceanside two weeks earlier). The night before the race I gathered all my gear, set up my bike, deciding on my new Valdora PHX2 over my experienced Cervelo P1, even with the seat clamp and shifting problems I have encountered since acquiring it. I tightened the seat down as much as possible and tested the shifters to see which were most problematic, then called it a night.

Race morning I woke up early, as usual, loaded the car and had some oatmeal and G2 for breakfast. I decided earlier that I would not rack my bike on Saturday, so I loaded it and left early for transition. I arrived at transition about 5:15ish and set up my rack, then hung out with my fellow ONE athletes waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Very little stretching for this race (unfortunately). Some GU Chomps and water while waiting in line for the start. Dan Cadriel did another awesome job with the National Anthem, then we were the second wave (right after the pros and the youngsters). I should have taken the chance to get in the water a few minutes early (as I like to do whenever offered), but as the temps were not too bad, I passed on the opportunity.
Swim
  • 52m 50s
  • 2500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Usually I would write off the additional distance to zig-zagging along the course, but the GPS map of my swim was straighter than ever, and during the swim I felt I sighted as well as ever. As others I know had the distance equal to mine, I think it truly was a couple hundred meters long, which explains my time, as I should have come in between 48-50 minutes. Of course, everyone had to swim the extra distance, so no complaints (just an explanation why my time was longer than expected).

I started the swim right in the middle of the pack, and was passing people early. Overall I think my stroke was consistent, and I felt fine throughout. It was a bummer to see a green cap pass me about 500m into the swim, as it made me feel rather slow. But when I passed some white caps I started to feel better. The leg out to the turn seemed longer than expected, but the buoys were going by at regular intervals so I felt fine.

The normal chaos of swim starts was not bad at all, and I had clear water for most of the swim. At the turn I had a little bumping with others, so I tried to speed up and get clear. On the leg back I noticed a few powder blue caps speeding by. The last few hundred yards went by very fast, and after the last turn it felt like I was moving along well. Coming out into transition the ONE volunteers took on the role of wetsuit peelers, and they got me out of my wetsuit in record time.

At this point I felt really strong and had no aches in my abs.
What would you do differently?:

Technically speaking, I still need work on getting "longer" in the water. This is evident by my mid-pack swim times. I spend enough time training and with swim drills and muscular endurance that I should be faster by now. So I suppose my "what would I do differently" is as simple as - be more efficient and faster in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

I had planned three (3) minutes for transition, so getting up and going in just over two (2) was positive. After having my wetsuit peeled off for me (always a plus), I high-tailed it into transition. My bike rack was closer to bike and run out, so I was able to run through most of transition without my bike (for T1, at least). I quickly hung my wetsuit on the rack and had my cycling shoes ready to go. No socks for the ride, and I am still not comfortable clipping in and trying to put my shoes on while riding, so I run with them on (as I am at the front of transition this is less of an issue).

More sunscreen was applied to keep a repeat of Oceanside (where I got baked due to no sunscreen all race).

I had my Valdora PHX2 with my SRAM S80 wheelset, and had decided the ride was long enough to use my Infinit nutrition drink in 1 bottle, with my other bottle containing G2. A couple of GU Chomps packets and a Vanilla Stinger Waffle would provide me the fuel I needed.

I suppose I need to learn how to clip in and run barefoot. I am not sure it will save me more than a few seconds, but a few seconds here and there could add up eventually.
Bike
  • 3h 21m 56s
  • 68.8 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The course follows the previous Rio Salado and Nathan's bike courses, with an additional distance along Rio Salado (east of McClintock), and the hill along Curry and College to get to the right distance.

On loop 1, I seemed to be moving along fine, and for the 17 miles, my three (3) auto laps (every 5 miles) were as follows:
Mile 1-5: 20.9mph avg, 14:20, 147bpm avg HR, 86rpm avg cadence
Miles 6-10: 20.9mph avg, 14:22, 143bpm, 88rpm
Miles 11-15: 20.1mph, 14:55, 147bpm, 89rpm

I felt some of the cross winds along Curry/College, but all in all the first loop went very smooth. I kept my nutrition plan in place, alternating between Infinit fluid and GU Chomps for the first 1:20:00. My shifters were instantly a challenge, as I often had to up or down shift two (2) gears, then back one to get to the gear I wanted. Have to get these fixed!!

For the second loop, much of the same:
Miles 16-20: 21.8mph, 13:45, 148 avg bpm, 93 avg rpm cad
Miles 21-25: 20.9mph, 14:23, 149bpm, 92rpm
Miles 26-30: 20.6mph, 14:34, 150bpm, 92rpm
Miles 31-35: 21.0mph, 14:16, 150bpm, 92rpm

Loop 2 went by a bit faster than the first, and I added salt tabs into my nutrition as I knew these would be helpful on the run later. On loop 2 we began to interact with Olympic distance athletes, but the roads were not congested too much to keep a good pace. I was passing a number of cyclists so I felt strong and fast, and I was able to stay in aero for the majority of the loop. Cross winds along Curry/College persisted and I felt these a bit more as the race went along. During loop 2 is when I was caught by my triathlon and training 'brother', Steve Pilon. Thanks a lot buddy!

Loop 3:
Miles 36-40: 20.7mph, 14:27, 148bpm, 88rpm
Miles 41-45: 20.4mph, 14:40, 149bpm, 90rpm
Miles 46-50: 19.6mph, 15:18, 150bpm, 88rpm

As is evident from my stats late on this loop, I began to slow down. It was late on loop 3 that I began to feel some discomfort and twinges in my abs, and knowing this was a growing problem, I decided to pull back a bit, hoping a slower pace would get it to subside for the run. It was on loop 3 that Sue Meno (ONE Elite) passed by me, as did Terry Twarkins (ONE Elite). At the Curry/College aid station Sue tried to get water by the volunteer fell down, and I tried to catch her to give her the water I picked up, but she is so darn fast it was just not happening (sorry super Sue!).

As loop 4 began, I knew the ride was going to start hurting and I was trying to control the discomfort and prep for a challenging run.

Miles 51-55: 21.3mph, 14:06, 151bpm, 89rpm
Miles 56-60: 20.2mph, 14:49, 149bpm, 90rpm
Miles 61-65: 18.6mph, 16:09, 149bpm, 87rpm
Miles 66-70: 19.9mph, 10:46, 147bpm, 87rpm

As loop 4 began, I made a conscious decision to slow things up - although my stats do not seem to indicate this (which might be part of my problem). I did slow down late and take things easy, and my abs (psoas or something down there) actually were starting to hurt more than just be uncomfortable. I pushed through the final Curry/College hill but was definitely feeling the distance. As I hit mile 56 I happened to look down at my cyclometer and saw the time at 2:40 and thought "boy I wish this was a half Ironman - I'd be done with the bike at record time." On loop 4 I finally caught a glimpse of my family, and even with the pain I was excited to see them out there. I managed to get out of my shoes as I made the northbound turn on Rio Salado, just ahead of dismount, so I thought I was doing ok......until I actually got off the bike.

My target time for the bike was 3:30, so coming in 9 minutes ahead would seem to be a plus......until the run.

A) Get my shifters fixed to shift smoother (I believe the cables have stretched as they typically do on new bikes - simple fix)
B) Get my psoas and abs fixed so I can hold a better pace at the end
C) More work getting comfortable at faster speeds and in cross winds
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

OK, this is where I knew I was in trouble for the rest of the race. As soon as I dismounted, I took 1 step and realized I could not run at all. I walked my bike up the chute and into transition, then tried my best to job and stretch out my abs. I was going so slow I might as well have walked.

I thought I had a grip on my "marker" for my rack, but ended up going right by it and to the next rack, then had to back track to get to my spot. Once there, I racked up and sat down to put my running shoes on, and wanted to just stay put. But I managed to get up, spray some more sunscreen on, grab my hat and sunglasses and go. It was a light jog, but I was on my feet and moving.

As I had 2:00 targeted for T2, this was not too bad, and I know had I been pain free I could have gotten in and out at my target time.

Be pain free, and most important - know my marker and hit my rack correctly.
Run
  • 1h 28m 51s
  • 8.08 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this is where my race totally fell apart. This is supposed to be my strength in triathlon, but when you have serious pain and cannot stride, it tears you up and wipes out your plans.

From the very start I knew the run would be as big a grind as I have seen in awhile. Once out on the course I turned onto the foot bridge over Tempe Town Lake and tried to just pace at about 9 min/mi. This was ok until after I crossed the bridge and hit the porta-potty, then at the first aid station I walked a few steps and hydrated, then tried to get going again. I picked up my pace to about 8:30/mi, but this lasted for only a hundred yards or so, then I backed way off for the run along the lake. As I reached the turn up and into the Papago trails, I saw John Dean (ONE Multisport founder and AWESOME guy), and he was unfortunately hurting worse than I was. We walked together and jogged together about .25 miles, then I thought I wanted to give it a go and kept running as he walked.

I was passed quite often, and was playing tag with another ONE member for the first 6 miles of the run. Over the Papago hills I walked the uphill portions, then ran the downhill and flats. This seemed to be the best I could manage, so it became my strategy.

I took on G2 at every aid station, drank some water at most and doused myself with water at all to keep cool. At a couple of late aid stations I took on some cola to give me a boost as well, and ate a couple oranges for substance.

At the long run along the canal I tried to just keep a running stride in order, but it was more of a duck waddle (confirmed by Steve Pilon who was on his way back on the other side of the canal and saw me trying to run).

I counted down the miles and quarter miles, noting when I had a 10K left, and a 5K left. At the turn it was difficult just climbing the 2 steps to cross the canal. Again, for the long canal run back I just tried to run, but my average pace was about 10-10:30 per mile by now. Going back through the hills I walked uphill again, then decided even at a slow pace I needed to run. I ran downhill and through the said station to the tunnel under Curry, and kept a slow running pace for most of the remainder of the course (a few 10 yard walks here and there). At the last aid station I turned to go up Lakeside Drive and remembered thinking how much nicer this was going down this road at Ironman. I pushed through, then knew the rest of the run was flat or downhill. No more walking as I ran across the Mill Ave bridge and down to the lake to get to the finish line. I saw my wife and youngest daughter before running under the bridges, and I have a video (yet to watch it) of me running by them - I am sure I looked horrible by now.

Once in the finisher's chute I just pressed on through to the line and gathered my medal and hydration. I had made it through, and was proud I did not quit, but frustrated I did not perform better on the run.

Again, get my psoas/abs fixed so I can run. I do not trail run often, and could use more of this, but this is the only race with a trail run for me, so it did not really affect me outside of my ongoing injury.
Post race
Warm down:

I peeked in the medical tent and saw Steve Pilon and Yati Yadev lying there (Yati went screaming by me on the trail) and laughed, as I had to be feeling worse than them!! I talked to Pilon and Lewis Elliot for a few minutes, then went over to meet up with my family. A short chat and I went off to gather my gear in transition, then over to the ONE Multisport tent to commiserate with my fellow athletes. Nothing else for warm-down, no massages or anything, and I do not think they would have helped my problem.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My psoas/ab problem. Nothing more than that. Without that issue, I would cut a couple minutes from my bike time, and about 20 minutes from my run time (I can run that distance at 8min/mi).

Event comments:

Red Rock does a great job, and although I think many of us would have liked one more aid station on the bike, they did a great job on the run considering the course and difficulty getting support in certain places.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:50 | 2500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/58
Overall: 241/418
Performance: Good
My Garmin 910 measured the total swim at a shade under 2700m.
Suit: TYR Hurricane Sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise out and back in Tempe Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:21:56 | 68.8 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/58
Overall: 131/418
Performance: Average
My Garmin measured this at 68.8 miles instead of 68 as advertised. For this difference I think it had to do with the running through transition and other minor zig zagging on course. My avg HR ended up at 149bpm, which is about 4bpm higher than I would like it to be at this distance.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: A 4 loop urban course with a number of turns and U-turns. One section of the course is up and over a hill - not too long or technical, but it does force a little bit of a grind on each loop. Final ascent/descent data indicates 1854' of climbing and descending - not bad for 70 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:28:51 | 08.08 miles | 10m  min/mile
Age Group: 40/58
Overall: 244/418
Performance: Bad
My HR was about normal for the run, but I believe this was due to my slower speeds and walking, as it should have been slightly elevated with the heat and the higher than average HR on the bike. Avg HR - 154bpm
Course: Out and back course with mixed surface: trail and concrete path. Trail running had some incline and descent, with need for lateral navigation through rocky areas as well.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-16 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125

2013-04-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4702579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125
Great job of fighting thru! Always enjoy the details of your race reports!
2013-04-16 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

Excellent report. 

I agree, we had similar race characteristics.  I do remember seeing your bike going the other way once and thought, gee, his SRAM wheels pretty much match his ONE kit.  You don't see SRAM wheels too much, so that stuck out in my head.  Then my mind wandered way off course again........

I agree, one more aid station on the bike would have been spectacular and beneficial. 

Great job!  Especially 2 weeks after O'side (which was way cooler, in my opinion, but this was still fun).

2013-04-16 2:31 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
what was up with the stomach/abdominal pain that day...sheesh - I feel your pain, but you pushed through it WAY better and faster than I did!
AWESOME job and great race report! I think I remember seeing you passing by me!
Congrats and amazing work considering doing Oceanside just 2 weeks before and the Warrior Dash! Very cool!
2013-04-16 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Patrick, you're a machine... nice meeting you... I like how you've got family participation.  I have one complaint though, I had the only matt black/white Valdora until yours... Tongue out
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125 Rss Feed