General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nuisance Nausea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-18 3:26 PM

User image

New user

Fairview Heights
Subject: Nuisance Nausea

Hello,

I've been suffering from nausea when I finish up bike sessions greater than 3 hrs or runs of over 1 hr.  I've tried different mixes and matches, but I always seem to suffer the same effect. I usually feel pretty bad for a few hours afterwards, often teetering on vomiting.  I try easing in some more liquids and food to help alleviate the symptoms, but nothing in particular seems to be the cure.

Here's a breakdown of a recent 3.5 hr ride, repeated hourly:
15 min: 12oz PowerBar Perform
30 min: 12oz water with Saltstick tab
45 min: 12oz PowerBar Perform
60 min: 12oz water with Saltstick tab and Gu gel

My nutrition breakdown per hour was: 48 oz of fluid, 310 calories, 76g of carbs, 1g of sodium, and 191mg of potassium.  I started the ride at 175lbs and finished at 175lbs.  Also, I finished the ride crusted in salt on my face.  Does anyone see any glaring holes in what I'm doing? 

Thanks,
Ed

2013-04-18 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4706166

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Nuisance Nausea

cramping, diarrhea, etc also or just nausea?  have you tried different brands of electrolyte tab/gel?  I'm a big crusty/salty sweater too, just means you're pushing out a lot of electrolytes when you sweat. 

2013-04-18 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4706202

User image

New user

Fairview Heights
Occasional cramping and diarrhea, but typically a general sense of nausea and cold sweats.
2013-04-18 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm no expert, but in my experience, I can't consume as much liquid as I'd like to and my body seems to tolerate certain products better than others.  48ozs of liquid in an hour is a LOT.  I see that you said you're maintaining weight so that must not be too much in regards to how much you lose sweating.  Have you tried experimenting with a lower fluid intake? 
2013-04-18 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4706328

User image

New user

Fairview Heights

I was at 32oz per hour and was getting the same symptoms.  First, I increased my PB Perform drink ratio to a full scoop per 8oz (I was doing 2 scoops per 24oz of sports drink and taking in 8oz of water too), but still got the nausea.  Then, I thought it might be a salt issue because of my excessive sweating, so I bumped up my intake with Saltstick tabs, but still got the same symptoms.  So, I then decided to ratchet up my fluid intake to get closer to my sweat rate, but I'm still getting the same symptoms.

From what I've read, it seems to me that my calorie/carb/sodium/fluid numbers should be in a normal range (with sodium and fluids being towards the high side right now).  

My only thoughts are changing out either my sports drink or Gu.  Right now I have the Gu Jet Blackberry that caffeine, so that might be causing be troubles, but I didn't think one an hour would be too much.  I didn't want to go to something other than the PB Perform since it'll be on the course at the IM Kansas 70.3 that I'm scheduled for.  But, at this point, I'm willing to consider any option if it can help.  Any suggestions?

2013-04-19 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4706533

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ah, so fluid quantity change is same symptom.  Electrolyte change is same symptom.  Hyper sensitivity to caffeine maybe?  That's really reaching but nothing else comes to mind.  I get ill from sucking down a lot of gels while racing, I have to go easy on caffeine.  I'd try switching the drink, then the gel separately, just to rule them out.  If you change one and find the symptoms are gone, then problem solved.  Then you would just need to figure out a way to carry enough powder or make a multi-hour bottle, which is easily doable.  There are a million diferent ways to get the carbs, if GU isn't a winner for you.  I have personally found that there are certain drinks that I can train with, but can't tolerate while racing.  What do you eat prior to training?  How much time between pre workout food intake and training?

2013-04-19 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
To me that seems like a lot of liquid and salt. I train in tropical conditions and in the same time period, I'd typically drink one, or slightly less than one, 20 ounce bottle of electrolyte drink, with 4-5 sips every 15 minutes, ten if it's extremely hot and humid. In a long ride, I take in some calories every hour--about 100-120. You outweighs me by 60 pounds, but still......there's only so much a stomach can handle. I'd experiment with drinking a little less, and maybe drinking more water and less salt.
2013-04-28 3:11 PM

User image

New user

Fairview Heights

Update:  So, I've decided to back out and start all over.  I recently listened to a pod cast from Ben Greenfield with Dr. Stacey Sims and have made some changes.  Like was suggested, I've dialed back on my fluids to about 24oz/hr.  Also, I'm now diluting my PB perform by 1/3, so I'm at one scoop per 24oz.  I've also switched from gels to chomps. All of this has resulted in a decrease in calories and fluids, but the overall outcome seems to be positive.

The results are looking positive so far.  I've completed both a 2hr run and a 3 /12hr bike and I've felt great after both.  From what I can tell, I think I was just overtaxing my digestive system.  I've also been watching my sweat rates and was down about 2lbs for the run and actually up 1/2lb on the bike.  I'll need to keep a close eye as the temps increase, but I'm happy for right now. Hopefully, I'm on the right track for now.

I still need to work on my pre-workout meals.  The problem is that my schedule often forces me to start workout by 0500, which doesn't give much opportunity for a good meal beforehand.  Thanks for all the help!

2013-04-28 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Glad things are working out for you. As far as pre-ride meals, at that hour it doesn't need to be a full-blown meal, just something so you're not starting on empty. My go-to pre-ride breakfast is two slices (thick, whole grain bread) of toast with peanut butter and bananas, orange or juice, coffee. Quick and easy. Occasionally if I'm meeting someone, got up too late, and am pushed for time, I'll just grab an energy bar or make a PBJ sandwich, and eat that within the first 30 minutes on the bike instead.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nuisance Nausea Rss Feed