Glass City Marathon
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 44m 40s
Overall Rank = 243/2243
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/126
Pre-race routine:

Up early, is an understatement. Woke up around 4am, relaxed for awile then dressed and left for the race around 5:00am. Once I reached campus I still had plenty of time and was relatively close to the starting line so I just relaxed some more at my car. Once it was almost start time went to the starting corral and met up with Clint.
Event warmup:

Not much of a Warm-up, probably around 1/2 mile with some light stretching thrown in.

Ready to rollReady to roll
Run
  • 1h 44m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

beginning of the run was congested to say the least, my goal was to stay with the 1:40 pace group for as long as possible and of course right off the bat I lost them! Mostly because of the massive amount of people. It was very difficult to get into any kind of stride and expended a lot of energy. It seems a lot of other people wanted to run in the same pace group but ran at 9:00 instead. PIA.
1st 5K of the race was spent avoiding people and then working to get back into line with the group. This was difficult due to the course going back into a neighborhood that had really narrow roads that made the group tighten up even more. I did probably run a little too hard during this time as the splits will show, but I wanted to make sure I was where I needed to be. In Hindsight I probably could have just held back a little and slowly brought the pack back in instead of such a quick catch up. Overall effort was pretty good, I didnt feel overly stress and towards the end was able to find a pretty good stride. Results
Mile 1: 7:49 AVGHR 153
Mile 2: 7:21 AVGHR 164
Mile 3: 7:21 AVGHR 164

It seems the next 5 miles almost went off flawlessly. I started this section with the Marathon pace group but realized they were running a little slower than I wanted. At this point the 1:40 group was just a little further up, so Clint I both went to the outside and caught up with the main group. I stayed right in line with the group and CLint kept on going up in front of them. This was around mile 5 and proved to be the last time I was able to run with Clint. At mile 6 I did start to feel a littl stressed and started having that hold back a little feeling. Not wanting to blow up, I slowed up, mostly because my HR was holding up around 170 and there was no way I could hold that effort for another 7 miles. This had me drop about 20yds behind the pacer. Not a big deal at this time but did prove to be a mistake later on in the race since the pacer just kinda kept pulling away from me. From here everything was smooth until the end of mile 8, and then it happened...
Mile 4: 7:36 AVGHR 165
Mile 5: 7:32 AVGHR 168
Mile 6: 7:35 AVGHR 168
Mile 7: 7:38 AVGHR 168
Mile 8: 7:54 AVGHR 167
And then the decline

Mile 8 went through the wildwood metro park, so a lot of turns and some rolling hills. About 8.75 was the 1st sign, my knee started to stiffen up and felt a little "limpy". With this going on my 1st thought was crap my knee is going to give out. I pulled up a little bit to try and allow it to relax, again something I regret doing. Most times when I start to feel knee issues and slow down it actually gets worse not better. Oh and it did get worse, around 9.75 it felt like something just stabbed me in the side of the knee. Quickly stopped to get a stretch in and it went away just as quickly as it came. Started back up and able to get to around 10.25 and it happened again. Same stabbing feeling, this time though it felt as though something was pushing up from my foot and right through my knee. Extremely painful, but just like previous as soon as I stopped it went away. I walked a short distance then started running again. I kept the pace somewhat easy due to my knee being extremely stiff, no pain but stiff. A few times during this period I did have to walk mostly due to my knee feeling like it was just about ready to stab me and I didn't want that feeling again. Worst part was with-in 1/4 mile of finish there was a steep downhill that just seemed to make my knee scream! Once I hit the flat section I was able to finish strong.
Mile 9: 8:22 AVGHR 163
Mile 10: 8:58 AVGHR 154
Mile 11: 8:34 AVGHR 159
Mile 12: 8:22 AVGHR 159
Mile 13: 8:29 AVGHR 159

One more item that deserves to be noted is the weather. What was supposed to be a sunny day early in the week turned into a dreary wet, Normal day in Toledo. I now remember why I moved away from Toledo, the weather always seems to SUCK! At race time the temp was around 48 and there was a slight drizzle. By Mile 6 it was a light rain and by mile 10 it was steady rain. By this point my shoes and socks where soaked to the point I could feel the water squishing out of them with every step. Not sure how much this affected me, but it was definitely an annoyance. Especially with the water dropping off my visor, which I'm glad I decided to wear.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, effort was good and even though I didn't reach my goal, I think knocking 3 minutes off of my PR is not a bad day! The knee issues do suck, but I did what I could on this given day. No dissappointments. Now time to heal and work towards the next race. I would like also like to finally make it pass the 9 mile mark, it seems in every Half-marathon to date, mile 9 is my demise. Need to work on being strong and push through the wall.
Last note...I would like to run this race healthy just one time! Both times so far I have had some issues, last year Hamstring, this year knee. I guess thats what makes it fun. The struggle to stay healthy and still perform at the highest of your ability.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:40 | 13.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/126
Overall: 243/2243
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-04-29 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Glass City Half Marathon

2013-04-29 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4719060

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Glass City Half Marathon

It's too bad about your knee.  Spending the time training you had and to have the issues crop up again has to be disappointing.  Take it in stride as it appears you're doing.  It sounds your IT band may need a little more working on it before your completely ready to go full on.

The race congestion may have been a good thing early too because it makes you slow more than what you really want to.  You were right on pace for the first mile and sometimes that can mean trouble if your not paying attention to all of your pacing for the remaining miles.  After mile 2 and 3 you were right on track to make your goal, so it appears you didn't allow things to spin out of control.

The great thing about this race is that you were able to pull off, stretch (2x) and get running again while getting across the finish to still PR by 3 minutes.  Gutsy!

Great race!

2013-04-29 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats again on getting that PR. I think you did a great job pacing yourself and you probably could have hit 1:40 had you not had that issue with your knee. I'm sure that had a lot to do with you having to slow down and I'm sure that was a distraction but you didn't let that stop you. You did a great job toughing it out and not giving in and staying strong mentally especially with such miserable weather and the knee acting up on you to finish strong. Awesome job man.
2013-04-29 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Matt, thanks for posting the race report.  Congrats on the PR!  So how is your knee today?  Did you get any blisters from the rain?  3 minutes is a huge PR, now go get ready for next year...lol
2013-04-29 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Awesome job, Matt!
2013-04-29 3:05 PM

User image

NH

Matt, the progress you've made is absolutely amazing.  It does sound like IT issues, so keep getting that thing worked on and find a therapy that works for you.  Great effort on tough day.

Without the knee issue this very well may have been your 1:40.  But you'll get there for sure.

2013-05-01 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4719522

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Matt - Awesome job. Glad to hear your knee cooperated. Great job pacing yourself through the middle of the race!
2013-05-04 9:02 PM

User image

Great race report, Matt. I didn't know you'd lived in Toledo. Sorry you had knee problems and crowd problems and weather problems. BUT you set a PR amidst all that! Very impressive, sir! You keep getting faster and faster. Way to go! I'm proud of you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glass City Half Marathon Rss Feed