Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ottawa OWS - where, when ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-30 1:41 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Ottawa OWS - where, when ?

Hey everyone.  I'm in Ottawa, Canada and was just wondering if there is anyone in the area who can give some OWS advice.  I will have some visitors here soon who are keen to come out on the kayaks and support me whilst doing some OWS practice. 

My questions are,
Where would you normally go for OWS practice ? Ottawa River ? Rideau ? Meech Lake etc
I know the Ottawa River is abnormally high right now, so that may not help, but I'm also wondering what you use to gauge when it is ok to start OWS practice here.  Dipping body parts in seems a bit inaccurate ! (I have a new Xterra Vortex - can't wait to test it out!)
I'll be doing the Early Bird tri on May 18th (pool swim) and Ottawa River Tri on June 8th (swim off Brittania Beach).

Although there is an Ottawa Triathlon Club who may have organised OWSwims, they are out in the East end of the city and it's a long way for me to go and you have to spend quite a few $'s on courses (which I wouldn't easily be able to attend with two young children and my job etc) to become a member.  It seems difficult to get any info without being a member :-(

If anyone has any advice it would be welcomed !  Thx :-)

2013-04-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4721037

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-09 12:33 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Ottawa OWS - where, when ?
Sorry it's taken me so long to say thanks for the info.  Meech Lake sounds the most appealing for sure - Once the 18th is completed I'll start checking the water temperatures to get the OWS practice in before the 8th.  Hopefully somewhere will have that info !
2013-05-30 3:30 PM
in reply to: ee5stj

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
If you don't want to drive all the way to Meech, there's Leamy lake on the other side of the bridge. The water is not perfect, but good. I swallow plenty of water in the annual tri and never got sick :-)

Here is a link for the water quality of lakes and rivers on the Quebec side of the Outaouais, sorry no English version.

http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/regions/region_07/liste_plage07.asp
2013-06-01 9:40 PM

New user

I actually went for a swim this morning at Brittania. I figured as I am racing there next weekend it would be good to get a practice in. It was a perfect morning for it; water was quite cold though and I wore my wetsuit to start. I found it quite comfortable, so tried just the tri-suit too. It was refreshing, but certainly ok and probably bearable for next week as I'm only doing the sprint distance. No idea what the water temp was, but extremities weren't numb after 25-30mins though, so guess that was good !! Looking forward to race day now !
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ottawa OWS - where, when ? Rss Feed