BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-05-03 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - OPEN
Good luck on your HM this weekend Adam!

2013-05-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4726036

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2013-05-03 12:54 PM

NAME: acv/ Adam

STORY: I'm 44 years old.  I live on Long Island in New York.  My wife actually signed us up for our first tri. She never trained and I sort of trained for it. The kicker was that we had a wedding to go to the night before. I got 4 hours of sleep and almost packed it in during the swim. I was exhausted but pushed through to finish. It was a great experience!

This will be my 5th year doing tri’s. Last year was my best year so. I stepped up to some longer distance races and really enjoyed them.

FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been married 12 years, I have three children (all boys) 10, 8 and 4. I’m pretty busy with the family.

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished my winter program which was run focused. I did manage a few weeks of biking on the trainer. Starting this Monday its tri season!

THIS PAST YEAR'S RACES:
 This past season I opened the season with a marathon and ended it w/ a half ironman. I mixed in some 5 & 10 K’s and a sprint.

2013 RACES:   I’m doing a half marathon this Sunday. I have an Olympic in June which is my first tri of the year. I will also do a sprint sometime in the summer, I also have a few 5 & 10 K’s that I like to do during the season. Then finish off the season with a HIM, I have unfinished business with that course.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 I’ve dropped few pounds and I’m at 188 right now, which is still too much for me. At one time I was at 240.

GOAL: Do better than last year!

I’m excited to be part of this mentor group again!

Thanks Adam!!

Good luck and have fun at your race this weekend!!

2013-05-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4726104

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
skitri - 2013-05-03 1:40 PM

Still open??

Name: skitri/Maggie

Story: 12 days til I'm 43...started triathlons 4 years ago after being sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Haven't looked back since.  Have done sprints, Olympic, 2 HIM with a 3rd coming June 2nd and hopefully my first IM at Mont Tremblant this year.  I'm signed up but hubby may be transferred to CA (were in CT) this summer--so who knows what's going to happen.

Family Status : Married 12 years with two kids - 10 & 8 

Current Training : Following Finks 30 week competitive IM training.  Keeping up pretty well..but ready for some OWS - so sick of looking at that black line in the pool.

This Past Year's Races: REV3 Quassy -HIM & Marine Corp Marathon

2013 Races: REV3 Quassy HIM, couple of local sprints and god willing IMMT!!

Weightloss - I saw another person talk about "jelly" - I like that term.  I try not to get stressed out about my weight -I am faster and strong than I've ever been, but....it is so tough losing weight when you're training this much..it shouldn't be.  I would love to lose about 10-15lbs. - I would settle for just a little leaner in the midsection - where I carry most (all) of my weight!)

Goal: Faster bike/run at REV3 and complete the Ironman without dying!

Welcome to the group Maggie!! 

Thanks for posting your bio!!

2013-05-03 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4726104

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
skitri - 2013-05-03 1:40 PM

Still open??

Name: skitri/Maggie

Story: 12 days til I'm 43...started triathlons 4 years ago after being sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Haven't looked back since.  Have done sprints, Olympic, 2 HIM with a 3rd coming June 2nd and hopefully my first IM at Mont Tremblant this year.  I'm signed up but hubby may be transferred to CA (were in CT) this summer--so who knows what's going to happen.

Family Status : Married 12 years with two kids - 10 & 8 

Current Training : Following Finks 30 week competitive IM training.  Keeping up pretty well..but ready for some OWS - so sick of looking at that black line in the pool.

This Past Year's Races: REV3 Quassy -HIM & Marine Corp Marathon

2013 Races: REV3 Quassy HIM, couple of local sprints and god willing IMMT!!

Weightloss - I saw another person talk about "jelly" - I like that term.  I try not to get stressed out about my weight -I am faster and strong than I've ever been, but....it is so tough losing weight when you're training this much..it shouldn't be.  I would love to lose about 10-15lbs. - I would settle for just a little leaner in the midsection - where I carry most (all) of my weight!)

Goal: Faster bike/run at REV3 and complete the Ironman without dying!

Maggie your bio sounds a lot like mine!

2013-05-03 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
I sure could use some of your advice.

I am usually good at figuring this out, but this time I am a little bit stumped with training. I have a nutrition question next. :D

Last week, I did 96 miles around Zion National Park/Hurricane/St. George. That has been my longest ride this year. On May 18-19, I have a 100 and 50 miler. Then I have 100 miler on June 1st.

Before Zion, I did somewhat close to 70 miles prior, and I felt good and confident. Very rarely I feel like I need to "recover" from these long rides.

Now, I'm stumped on what to do for the rest of the upcoming weeks, especially for tomorrow. There is a 60 miler with a 10 mile hilly loop that I won't do due to timing issue. This is B-A type of ride for me. Another ride is 35 miler, C ride, easy group ride. Then on Sunday I have another Easy 30 miler.

On May 11th, I have a cycling coach for one-on-one to help me figure out my stroke mechanics and figure out why I have a couple issues riding on hills. I've done LOTS of climbing, and I believe something is off, so she's going to help me with that, as well as a LT test because I believe my Zones are much higher than I think. I don't trust myself! :-D

Part of me says to focus on 80% easy rides and a couple harder rides (hill climbing) for the next coming weeks for San Diego as SD is hilly, and because I have a hard ride coming up on May 11th, my legs should be as fresh as possible.

Another part of me says, Do as many rides possible, and I recover quick...

Last year I did a lot less Z2 work, and I got a bit exhausted doing longer rides (40-60 milers).
So what says you?
2013-05-03 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Nutrition question - I've done a small handful of rides around 60-70 miles. Never had any issue, until this time. I'm kind of stumped what happened at Zion. I have some suspicions, but again, I could use your advice and help me figure out what went wrong and whether what I thought was right.

At Zion - at every aid station I would have something to eat. PB&J, Banana, a couple cookies, Shot Blocks is all I ate. I drank 3 1/2 or so bottles of HEED for the entire ride (it was less than 5 hours of riding, and it was cooler). No water.

A little before the last aid stop at mile 55 or so, I started to feel "heavy". I was not bloated or had any sloshy feeling in my stomach from too much water/HEED. It felt like the food that I was eat was NOT moving.

Finished the ride to the finish line. At the end, I started to feel a little bit nauseous, to the point where I feel like if I could force myself to vomit, I would feel better. I KNEW from my experience that I need to eat. So I ate very little bit, and I still couldn't get rid of the heavy stomach. After a while of sitting down and waiting, and rubbing my stomach. My friend and I went into the Zion National Park - it took about 5 miles to finally feel like the food that I had eaten all day has moved on and getting digested. I felt the 2nd wind come in and felt perfectly fine.

I've asked my cycling friends, and one of them balked at the fact that I was drinking HEED (I've tried Nuun, Gatorade, and other products, and HEED and Cytomax is the only one that works for me). She said the reason why is because of HEED. After 4 years of cycling drinking HEED, I highly doubt that. Another says because all I've been taking in is electrolytes, I need to drink just plain water. I didn't get any accurate answers.

My suspicions is the aid stations had food, but no "hydrating" foods like oranges/watermelons/apples. I may have been working my body a little bit harder (no HRM data as it died before the ride), but it didn't feel like I worked hard...a couple big hills, but mostly flat and downhills. Could it be that I worked harder than I "felt", and my body was focused on cycling that it "shut down" the stomach.

So what says you? Any tips to help me avoid this next time or any tips to help move the food faster?

Typically for any rides under 2 hours - I either take in one shot block, or nothing at all. ALWAYS HEED, it's pretty much a requirement for Vegas. Anything longer, I either have a fig bar, granola bar, or a gel. Whatever I'm in the mood for. Very rarely I ride anything longer than 3.5 hours.

2013-05-03 7:06 PM

User image

DJ, I think you are probably on the right track when you say you suspect you might have been riding a little bit harder than usual, and so your digestion got put on hold.  You state that you didn't eat anything different than you usually do, and you have been drinking HEED for years, so I think your effort was probably the factor that was different. 

I have a similar problem, though, in that I tolerate all sorts of stuff in training, but when it comes to an actual race I can't seem to digest any of it, because I'm going harder than in training.  I have no answers.  So far I just haven't been eating, which works for a sprint, but probably NOT the best plan for a HIM...

Jaime

2013-05-03 11:16 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Ignore my message about what ride I should ride tomorrow. I made plans for next week, and I already have 5 rides lined up (all are going to be easy, with exception of Monday when I will be doing intervals), so if I do tomorrow's ride, it'll be too much before the coaching session. Duh...should have listened to myself. :D

After that, I'll just ask the coach and see what she says. D'oh...she will tell me what's the best way to approach the rest of the month, and what to focus on after San Diego.

Happy training everyone!!

On Monday, I did some Hamstrings workouts, it.hurt. Stretched, and foam rolled, and heat therapy. Yesterday, when I did my ride, I actually felt pretty strong on the hills and got PR's on both of the major hills. Could ONE workout have done the trick?!
2013-05-03 11:17 PM

User image

Please count me in.  I will complete bio later.  Training for IM Orangeman in Dana Point CA Sept. 2013

2013-05-04 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4726715

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-05-03 8:06 PM

DJ, I think you are probably on the right track when you say you suspect you might have been riding a little bit harder than usual, and so your digestion got put on hold.  You state that you didn't eat anything different than you usually do, and you have been drinking HEED for years, so I think your effort was probably the factor that was different. 

I have a similar problem, though, in that I tolerate all sorts of stuff in training, but when it comes to an actual race I can't seem to digest any of it, because I'm going harder than in training.  I have no answers.  So far I just haven't been eating, which works for a sprint, but probably NOT the best plan for a HIM...

Jaime

I agree, at a certain point when your HR rises the digestion will slow down or even stop. 

2013-05-04 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4726921

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
ritakandel - 2013-05-04 12:17 AM

Please count me in.  I will complete bio later.  Training for IM Orangeman in Dana Point CA Sept. 2013

Great, post when you can!

I did not know there was an IM at Dana Point.  I used to spend some time out there, very nice part of the country!!

2013-05-04 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4726247

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

robingray_260 - 2013-05-03 2:52 PM Good luck on your HM this weekend Adam!

Robin, did you figure out your bike shipping dilemma?

2013-05-04 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4726247

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2013-05-03 2:52 PMGood luck on your HM this weekend Adam!
Thanks I'm off soon for the packet pick 3 hours in total off driving ugg
2013-05-04 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

DJ - I know the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." but have you ever thought of switching off the HEED and doing Perpetum instead?  HEED is essentially a sports drink -- around 100 calories per scoop, so it may be a case of rising HR, and too many calories...our bodies can only digest so much before it has to come back up.  If you OK eating on the bike then I would switch to the Hammer Fizz tablets - no calories but electrolytes replacement or something similar.  

I recently started using Skratch labs hydration and love it.  It goes to the notion that our hydration and our calories consumption on the bike should be separate.  

2013-05-04 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Well, I did 5k in 32.07 today - which is my best this year..which is good, and I have a 10k race on Monday 6th May (its a bank holiday here), so, in a fit of enthusiasm this afternoon I took to my bed with my training book and smart phone and have sorted a sprint tri for 6 weeks time and then I found a HIM only an hour from where I live on 1st September which I'm sure I could train for. And its cheaper than the one I've withdrawn from. I reckon with a bit of getting up very early on a Sun morning for a bike ride on my own, I can do the training and give my son the time he needs at the moment (not that he thinks he needs me at all..duh). It's the least I could do for being allowed to stay in an IM, HIM mentor group!

It's all very exciting

jennifer
2013-05-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4726979

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2013-05-04 5:56 AM

Not yet, I need to call the airline and make sure they can fit it on the smaller plane, and then my parents to see if it will fit on the roof rack of the car.  The cheapest shipping option so far is $500.  Everything seems to be complicated when traveling to the "Lower 48".

2013-05-04 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I raced my first ever 10k today!  Guess what I had a PR!  Wink Woke up to heavy, wet snow that never let up (This is May right?).  The trail was a mess with old snow and slush but luckily not much ice.  I paced really well and had a slight negative split. I wasn't passed once we reached the half way turn around, but was able to pass quite a few.  I was hoping for under an hour and came in at 57.37 - I am sure if the trails had been dry and snow-free I would of gone faster, but feel pretty good about it.  I am not sure why I have never done this distance, but really liked it - just long enough that pacing came into play.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2013-05-04 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4727267

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

jennifer65 - 2013-05-04 2:01 PM Well, I did 5k in 32.07 today - which is my best this year..which is good, and I have a 10k race on Monday 6th May (its a bank holiday here), so, in a fit of enthusiasm this afternoon I took to my bed with my training book and smart phone and have sorted a sprint tri for 6 weeks time and then I found a HIM only an hour from where I live on 1st September which I'm sure I could train for. And its cheaper than the one I've withdrawn from. I reckon with a bit of getting up very early on a Sun morning for a bike ride on my own, I can do the training and give my son the time he needs at the moment (not that he thinks he needs me at all..duh). It's the least I could do for being allowed to stay in an IM, HIM mentor group! It's all very exciting jennifer

Congrats on your 5k Jennifer - awesome!!!! And... Good luck on Monday!  Sounds like you are getting the racing bug!

2013-05-04 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4727339

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2013-05-04 4:29 PM

Not yet, I need to call the airline and make sure they can fit it on the smaller plane, and then my parents to see if it will fit on the roof rack of the car.  The cheapest shipping option so far is $500.  Everything seems to be complicated when traveling to the "Lower 48".

I know that when I flew to IMFL on Delta, the flight from Atlanta to Panama City Beach was on a small plane and they handled mine. I have a hard case that is pretty good size, but it states on the sticker on it that it conforms in size to some bike box standard the airline industry has. I hope it works out for you!
2013-05-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4727364

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2013-05-04 4:08 PM
robingray_260 - 2013-05-04 4:29 PM

I know that when I flew to IMFL on Delta, the flight from Atlanta to Panama City Beach was on a small plane and they handled mine. I have a hard case that is pretty good size, but it states on the sticker on it that it conforms in size to some bike box standard the airline industry has. I hope it works out for you!

Thanks Ken - the airline should take it, I just want to be absolutely sure before heading down.  On the up side - I will have my bike with me while I spend 10 days with the folks.  It may be end up being a good thing!

2013-05-04 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4727341

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
robingray_260 - 2013-05-04 9:34 PM

I raced my first ever 10k today!  Guess what I had a PR!  Wink Woke up to heavy, wet snow that never let up (This is May right?).  The trail was a mess with old snow and slush but luckily not much ice.  I paced really well and had a slight negative split. I wasn't passed once we reached the half way turn around, but was able to pass quite a few.  I was hoping for under an hour and came in at 57.37 - I am sure if the trails had been dry and snow-free I would of gone faster, but feel pretty good about it.  I am not sure why I have never done this distance, but really liked it - just long enough that pacing came into play.

Well done on your first 10k. And in snow, and in May. Brilliant time.

2013-05-04 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4727047

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
acv - 2013-05-04 8:57 AM
robingray_260 - 2013-05-03 2:52 PMGood luck on your HM this weekend Adam!
Thanks I'm off soon for the packet pick 3 hours in total off driving ugg
ahh.. the ugly side of racing, seperate day packet pickups, forced visits to expos, and driving. I'm feeling it. staying at a crappy hotel that only had a smoking room available, just so I could pick up a bib early. I smoked for 20 years and after 6 years without, I still enjoy second hand smoke, OUTSIDE, stale smoke inside always sucked. but I digress... Have a great race!
2013-05-04 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4727267

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
jennifer65 - 2013-05-04 3:01 PMWell, I did 5k in 32.07 today - which is my best this year..which is good, and I have a 10k race on Monday 6th May (its a bank holiday here), so, in a fit of enthusiasm this afternoon I took to my bed with my training book and smart phone and have sorted a sprint tri for 6 weeks time and then I found a HIM only an hour from where I live on 1st September which I'm sure I could train for. And its cheaper than the one I've withdrawn from. I reckon with a bit of getting up very early on a Sun morning for a bike ride on my own, I can do the training and give my son the time he needs at the moment (not that he thinks he needs me at all..duh). It's the least I could do for being allowed to stay in an IM, HIM mentor group! It's all very exciting jennifer
Great job on the race Jennifer! I think you're a valuables member of the group even if you didn't "go long" this year. but it is very exiting to plan out all that training after finding a race!
2013-05-04 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4727341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
robingray_260 - 2013-05-04 4:34 PM

Nice! You have got to be ready for that Florida weather...
2013-05-04 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4727062

User image

Master
Sin City
skitri - 2013-05-04 6:14 AM

DJ - I know the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." but have you ever thought of switching off the HEED and doing Perpetum instead?  HEED is essentially a sports drink -- around 100 calories per scoop, so it may be a case of rising HR, and too many calories...our bodies can only digest so much before it has to come back up.  If you OK eating on the bike then I would switch to the Hammer Fizz tablets - no calories but electrolytes replacement or something similar.  

I recently started using Skratch labs hydration and love it.  It goes to the notion that our hydration and our calories consumption on the bike should be separate.  

Good point - The reason why I use HEED is so I don't HAVE to eat so much on the bike. I've tried NUUN, and I don't like it because it has no calories, and I end up having to eat more, and I have issues with efferdent type of products as it makes me very burpy/gassy. I never have issues for short rides anything shorter than 50 miles.

Maybe for longer rides, I can try the Hammer Fizz (I haven't tried that yet), and eat at the aid stations (I have no problems eating whatever's available). I can try that tomorrow, easy ride, so I can know if my stomach can handle it first.

I'll look into Skratch labs. I have heard of that, I'm willing to try. Does it have enough electolytes for me to handle for very hot weather of Las Vegas? Or is it a good idea to take in salt tabs/endurolytes or Shot blocks?

Edited by CyborgQueen 2013-05-04 9:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63