BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-05-26 3:32 PM
in reply to: Moody1775

User image

Subject: RE: Race Pace
Originally posted by Moody1775

Great Run! I did a 10 K road race on Saturday on 54 min was very happy with that time, then went Mountain biking in the canyon here was a lot of fun, today my workout is a lot of yard work lol. My biggest news of the week is I did 1600m in the pool no break! Took me 40 min but hey I did it!!! Another question, where the best, cheapest, and best fit place to rent a wetsuit, I am thinking of using xterra but wanted any input.

Moody:

The wetsuit question will depend on where you live I assume... In Lethbridge, there aren't many options, but that probably isn't much use to you. Nice time on the run... If I can do mine in an hour, I will be happy. So 54 minutes makes me a little jealous. :-)

2013-05-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

East of the Rockies
Subject: ---
Nice time on the bike Irene! I would like a time of 54 minutes as well Moody, My PB last year was 56. And some nice looking wheels there Matt! Pretty quiet weekend for me training wise, oldest daughter is getting married here in a couple of weeks so weekends are pretty booked up with extra ciricular activities! Got in a pretty decent week of training but need to make some more time for running. Happy training everyone!
Howard

Edited by hwkirby 2013-05-27 11:58 AM
2013-05-27 8:27 PM
in reply to: hwkirby

User image

Subject: RE: ---
Thanks for the props on my run time makes me feel great, the wet suit rental will be from online as there is no place in amarillo to rent one. Also did a ton of mountain biking this weekend loved it! Now to do some long road bike training
2013-05-27 10:17 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: My Feet Hurt
Got in 2 short runs with my daughter the last two days in between all day walking around the Disney parks. My feet and legs are sore.

Howard--congratulations to your daughter. We did the wedding stuff with my son last November.

Looks like folks have had some good workouts the last few days. I'm not expecting too much until I get home from vacation but will use your reports as motivation; my schedule may be pretty tight next month.

David

Edited by Day-Day 2013-05-27 10:18 PM
2013-05-28 7:19 AM
in reply to: Moody1775

User image

Little Harbour
Subject: RE: Race Pace
Originally posted by Moody1775

Great Run! I did a 10 K road race on Saturday on 54 min was very happy with that time, then went Mountain biking in the canyon here was a lot of fun, today my workout is a lot of yard work lol. My biggest news of the week is I did 1600m in the pool no break! Took me 40 min but hey I did it!!! Another question, where the best, cheapest, and best fit place to rent a wetsuit, I am thinking of using xterra but wanted any input.

I just bought a new wetsuit from my local sporting goods store. It was on sale for $100 regular $169 it was o'neil 3mil. Being a SCUBA diver I have a 7mil wetsuit that I ue right now just to get into the open water swiming but would not use in a TRI due to arm movement restriction. I can't wait until I can break in my new wetsuit. I have a whole closet devoted to SCUBA gear and wetsuits LOL

Jeremy
2013-05-28 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: RE: ---
Howard congrats on the wedding. Our 1 year anniversary is June 1st so getting ready to celebrate that. It goes by so fast!

We went up to the cabin this weekend for the holiday and I am just getting over a cold that I have had for about a week now. Saturday I did my first workout since Columbia, a nice easy run and Sunday I did a long run with a couple good climbs around the mountains nearby. I am now back into training after a much needed break. This week won't be to involved, but probably doing a stage race this weekend and then next week will be back to the grind!

2013-05-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: swimmer04

User image

Subject: Early Morning Running...
I forgot how good it can be. However, the toe hurts. So I am getting the shot this week hopefully. It cured my plantar issues way back, so hopefully.. -touches wood-

7 km in 45 minutes give or take. 6:25 km... I am hoping this improves. I would like to be under the hour mark for the run.

Swimming tonight! Have a great day, everyone!
2013-05-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: RunningReenie

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Early Morning Running...
Hope that toe improves Renee, that would be frustratimg. Have you found different shoes help? I find that when I do strength classes if I wear my Nike freerunners, I get cramps in my feet. Not sure why, but I used it as an excuse to buy another pair of shoes....this time Brooks. They give me cramps running but are perfect for spin and pump.
David, I am envious....just love the fun parks! We took our then 3 and 4 yo to Disneyland when we were in LA about 7 years ago.We loved it....would love to go back again. I found Americans very friendly, and helpful on the whole....and a little fascinated with our accents. The tipping thing though is something we are not good at, as its not customary here. You will be getting a workout carrying bags and walking!
Howard, very exciting to have a wedding......It will be long time before any of that happens in my house, as my eldest is 11 and my youngest 3.
So for me this is tapering, and I am taking it seriously.......no, I have had a monumental increase in workload of the past couple of months. My job is extremely busy, as we are finishing projects that need reports done for them to funding bodies. In additonal to that I niavely signed up for my Masters, to do two subject this semester! The last week, I have been burning the midnight oil putting together a literature review, which will be sent off this morning, then I have a Quant Stats assignment to do for next Friday, and I am struggling to understand the program SPSs or Statistics..... ( any expertise on this would be appreciated at this stage!) so needless to say I am abit stressed. My Tri is on Sunday and we fly out to Cairns for a 2 week holiday on Friday........
Plan on getting into the pool today and on the treadmill tonight do a light session tomorrow and need to fit in another swim before we go!!
2013-05-28 7:16 PM
in reply to: flossybach

User image

Subject: RE: Early Morning Running...
Originally posted by flossybach

Hope that toe improves Renee, that would be frustratimg. Have you found different shoes help? I find that when I do strength classes if I wear my Nike freerunners, I get cramps in my feet. Not sure why, but I used it as an excuse to buy another pair of shoes....this time Brooks. They give me cramps running but are perfect for spin and pump.

It is a nerve thing. And changing out shoes doesn't do much, sadly. My last option before cortisone was to stop running. And that is not an option. But thank you for the suggestions. I have tried the shoe swap... My feet are actually very strong (and ankles and calves) from ballet. So I am thankful for that.

Good luck in your triathlon!!! I will be thinking about you on Sunday :-)

2013-05-28 9:41 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN
Irene--good luck on the toe shot. I've had couple of items that healed up immediately and permanently (so far anyway) with a cortisone shot. I don't think there is much concern with a one-time shot for a particuar ailment.

Felicity--we are a little nuts with the Disney parks. My wife, son, and daugter-in-law are having it tough trying to keep up with the two triathletes in the family.

David
2013-05-29 3:07 PM
in reply to: Day-Day

User image

Regular
NSW
Ouch! The pain of toe injections. Lucky for me thats one thing I havent had to have. The last two years getting fitting has caused me numerous injuries and illnesses.....but touchwood I am ok now going into my first Oly.

David, we went to Disneyland Paris last January. It was cold, wet and miserable. Plus, my 8 and 9 year old were too short to go onmost of the rides (none of us are not very tall). I ended up putting socks, gloves and scarves in my daughters snow boots, and made her walk on tippy toes to get into space mountain. It was an adventure.
What I have noticed is that rather than feel excited and keen to exercise more this week, I am feeling deflated and lacking any motivation, especialy for swimming.
It is winter here though, does anyone find that happens to them? Lucky for me I have a 10k running event in July to train for after this.
oh well better get to the pool. This is not getting it done......

2013-05-29 11:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by flossybach
It is winter here though, does anyone find that happens to them? Lucky for me I have a 10k running event in July to train for after this.
oh well better get to the pool. This is not getting it done......

I am the worst in the winter for working out, personally. Luckily, I have dancing that resumes full swing and that keeps me fairly in shape. And our ballroom and latin competitions in March are always a motivator to keep the weight down for two reasons: My husband has to do lifts with me and the costumes are ordered in June of the previous year :-D

I try to swim in the winter and run when the chilly Canadian winters aren't too treacherous. But that gets limited due to it being dark by the time I am done work (4:00 PM) and it just being freakin' cold. I bet Howard can relate. He lives here too.

Got in a swim, but no bike. The freak monsoon complete with thunder and lightning are enough to keep me restricted to just the pool. 1150 meters in 32 minutes. It's an okay pace.

Enjoy your night, folks!
2013-05-30 3:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Well training is in full swing and I can certainly tell. Did 1.5 hours on the bike the other day, 2x20 @ Only pace and 1x10 @ Oly pace with 5 minutes rest between intervals. Needless to say legs were hurting. Yesterday was 4000 yards in the pool followed by easy run and new lifting routine. Let me tell you that lifting routine us killer. Today is another 4000 yards and legs (new routine). I have a small feeling come tomorrow in wont be able to walk. Also throw in an hour run today as well. This weekend I think I'm doing a stage bike race. Road race Saturday, TT Sunday morning and road race Sunday afternoon, we will see how the legs hold up
2013-05-30 8:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by swimmer04

Well training is in full swing and I can certainly tell. Did 1.5 hours on the bike the other day, 2x20 @ Only pace and 1x10 @ Oly pace with 5 minutes rest between intervals. Needless to say legs were hurting. Yesterday was 4000 yards in the pool followed by easy run and new lifting routine. Let me tell you that lifting routine us killer. Today is another 4000 yards and legs (new routine). I have a small feeling come tomorrow in wont be able to walk. Also throw in an hour run today as well. This weekend I think I'm doing a stage bike race. Road race Saturday, TT Sunday morning and road race Sunday afternoon, we will see how the legs hold up

My legs are hurting just reading that!! Good luck to you and your legs. I have weight training tonight and some form of S B R cardio.... I haven't decided.
2013-05-30 9:47 PM

Bartlett, TN
Managed another short, easy run today in between all the walking required for "vacation". I hope to swim and bike this weekend once we return home but I have to replace a water pump on my son's truck and fix the ice-maker on our refrigerator over the weekend as well.
2013-05-31 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by swimmer04 Well training is in full swing and I can certainly tell. Did 1.5 hours on the bike the other day, 2x20 @ Only pace and 1x10 @ Oly pace with 5 minutes rest between intervals. Needless to say legs were hurting. Yesterday was 4000 yards in the pool followed by easy run and new lifting routine. Let me tell you that lifting routine us killer. Today is another 4000 yards and legs (new routine). I have a small feeling come tomorrow in wont be able to walk. Also throw in an hour run today as well. This weekend I think I'm doing a stage bike race. Road race Saturday, TT Sunday morning and road race Sunday afternoon, we will see how the legs hold up

Criminey!  Sounds like the new plan will whip you into race shape in a jiffy.

Also sounds like this weekend will be tough, but a blast!  Good luck on them.

Happy to read that, actually, as I was trying to decide whether to race twice this weekend (and will be). 5k tomorrow, but not flat out (not sure I can pin a number on and NOT try to PR, even if I have no expectation of actually doing so) and then signed up a couple days ago for a tri Sunday (between sprint and Oly distance).  Should be a good test of where I am, as this was a "rest and test" week.

Last Sunday's HM was awesome.  The Boston Run to Remember, so the course and the feeling were both special (to this Bostonian). Kim set ELEVEN PR's, including the fastest mile she's EVER run… at mile 12!  I was feeling pretty happy about being her "pace booty" for the race, and she just rocked.  Great day...

Anyway, good luck to all who're racing this weekend!

Matt

2013-06-01 10:05 AM

User image

East of the Rockies
Originally posted by RunningReenie

Originally posted by swimmer04

My legs are hurting just reading that!! Good luck to you and your legs.

X2!!!
Well its one week till the big wedding! House is a little nuts right now!
Felicity good luck this weekend! Sounds like your life is a little nuts right now too! Howard

Edited by hwkirby 2013-06-01 10:06 AM
2013-06-03 5:01 AM

User image

Regular
NSW

X2!!!
Well its one week till the big wedding! House is a little nuts right now!
Felicity good luck this weekend! Sounds like your life is a little nuts right now too! Howard

Thanks Howard for your thoughts.
Hi Everyone!
I survived my first Olympic Triathlon.....very pleased. For me it was less about times and more about finishing, with no injuries! So in short my time was 3hrs 11mins. But hey I am acompleter not a competer....and I did not come last!. Always knew the run would let me down, it is my achilles heel, and was 4x 2.5km circuits, on the beach wuth hard sand. The first and 3rd 2.5kms were the most difficult, but I got through and only walked through drink stations. It was a clear north QLD day temps were 23c to 29c. The swim was a beach start into surf and then spectactular 1.5km swim parallel to the beach. Sea was flat water temp aBout 23c. The bike was an undulating ride, very scenic inland route. I enjoyed them and paced myself quite well. Felt great off the bike, and them battled through the run. My family were cheering me on and this really helped!
Feel great about my efforts, have a baseline and now know what to work on. Truth is the swim and ride were not taxing, but the run is, so I plan on making the most of my talents and plug away at the swim.
Will post a race report, soemtime during my holiday.

2013-06-03 8:07 AM

Bartlett, TN
Felicity--Fantastic; congratulations on the excellent results on the Olympic! I'm happy that it went so well.

How do you feel now? My daughter and I were both a little sore (more so the 2nd day after than the 1st); nothing major but just enough to tell that we had done something.

I am just now getting back into training after my last race and family vacation but haven't got an established plan or target yet.

David
2013-06-03 9:48 AM

User image

East of the Rockies

Thanks Howard for your thoughts.
Hi Everyone!
I survived my first Olympic Triathlon.....very pleased. For me it was less about times and more about finishing, with no injuries! So in short my time was 3hrs 11mins. But hey I am acompleter not a competer....and I did not come last!. Always knew the run would let me down, it is my achilles heel, and was 4x 2.5km circuits, on the beach wuth hard sand. The first and 3rd 2.5kms were the most difficult, but I got through and only walked through drink stations. It was a clear north QLD day temps were 23c to 29c. The swim was a beach start into surf and then spectactular 1.5km swim parallel to the beach. Sea was flat water temp aBout 23c. The bike was an undulating ride, very scenic inland route. I enjoyed them and paced myself quite well. Felt great off the bike, and them battled through the run. My family were cheering me on and this really helped!
Feel great about my efforts, have a baseline and now know what to work on. Truth is the swim and ride were not taxing, but the run is, so I plan on making the most of my talents and plug away at the swim.
Will post a race report, soemtime during my holiday.

Well done Felicity!! Personally I think that is a pretty respectable time! I will be happy if I can get it done in that amount of time! I am looking at doing my first Oly in August and like you I just want to get through it!
Kind of funny...but not...I was looking at my training program, the 2 balanced here on BT and I was looking at May and realized it is JUNE already!! How did that happen! haha I was so proud of myself on Sat as I did a 53 km bike in 1:31 and averaged 30.7 kph then I look at my training schedule and I should already be doing 2 1/2 hour rides by now! I was mortified!! Man am I ever going to have to pick it up a couple of notches in the next little while. I am not even sure if my butt can take a 2+ hour ride! I think I am going to look for a different saddle, like an Adamo or something. I will look into it right after we get this wedding out of the way this next weekend! Have a good one every body!
Howard
2013-06-03 10:41 PM

User image

Subject: Travelling and Training??
Felicity: Way to go!! Your time sounds awesome!! I like the "a completer" not "a competer".

Howard: Good luck with the wedding!

I am struggling this week. I can get in one swim, one bike, and one run and one strength. But then I am away Thursday through to Sunday in Vancouver on a conference, with no gym, and in a city I have never been in, with a few ladies from my work who aren't the work out type. I am throwing my running gear into my bag in hopes that I will be able to do a 5 km every day. Any other thoughts on travelling and training with limited resources? I can bring a resistance band I suppose and work on the strength training one night.... Any other thoughts, folks?

Thanks!

2013-06-04 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: RE: Travelling and Training??
Irene, best advice is to try and get in as much running as possible and strength training if you are worried about losing any fitness. Also enjoy it.
2013-06-04 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: First tri of the season: check!

Felicity - congrats!  That's terrific, truly, and I'd say you competed as well as completed.   

I did my first tri of the year Sunday (RR is up - Holliston Tri in MA).  

Did a 5k the day prior (15 OA, 3 AG - very happy, and the whole family did great with two other podiums and a PR among them!), so I was just a little in the hole heading into it, but not badly.

Did way better overall than I thought I would, in terms of pacing on the swim and bike, with an average run (now blamed on:  previous day's race, rolling hills and some pretty thick/hot air - I know, excuses, excuses!).  I think I need to work on both speed and fitness on the bike, but I like where I am overall for Oly's.

This was a bit longer overall than most sprints (0.5 swim, 15 bike and a 5 mile run), so was a decent gauge on fitness for an Oly.  I'd like to be able to run a bit faster, but I think that means more time on the bike (oddly, to me - but likely true) and keeping my run training time/intensity about where it is, after a long winter run focus.

The thing of it that cracked me up was the AG competition.  How's this: 15 OA but 7th in my AG?  I'm over the moon about the OA placing and my pacing, but it was a hoot coming across the line and seeing half a dozen of the people ahead of me in their 20's in team kits and rest in their 40's!  Speedy older dudes 'round here, I guess, so I have my work cut out for me.  Wink

All in, I am very happy with the race and what it tells me about my training (having brought my run up from last fall when it was lagging my other two to even with my swim and bike, as compared to the field).  Plus, I convinced one of my oldest/best friends to race with me and it was just terrific to spend the morning with him, as well.  I let the family sleep in for this one, so everyone won!

Matt

2013-06-04 7:49 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: First tri of the season: check!
Matt--great race and family weekend. That sprint distance was interesting with a longer run compared to most I've seen with that bike distance. I think I would like to find a sprint that is heavier in the swim and run and lighter in the bike. My daughter and I are looking at one that is .5m/22m/3.75m-trail run; the bike is too much like an Olympic.

Irene--I was thinking the same as Jason regarding your visit to Vancouver. Getting in any length of run is probably your best bet.

Howard--Yesterday, I lifted weights for the 1st time since December. I went very light; 2 sets of 10 for each workout using around 70% of the weight I'd normally use for them. I was very worried about getting sore; I'm a little sore in the chest but my back, lats, and arms not as much. I am planning to lift at least twice a week.

For my weight training, I'm thinking of doing circuit-type training with the only rest in between being changing positions. This is not always easy to do in a gym if it gets too crowded. Most of my lifting has been the "standard" type of lifting; that is, working 3 or more sets at one exercise before moving to the next and maybe going to less reps on the last set.

David

Edited by Day-Day 2013-06-04 7:49 PM
2013-06-05 6:24 AM
in reply to: Day-Day

User image

Little Harbour
Subject: RE: First tri of the season: check!
Congrats everyone on completing their first races..I'm still a month away from my first race of the year.

I had to do some thinking when it came to my training. I was feeling rundown all the time, so I came to a conclusion.

A)overtraining?- the answer was no I had enough rest days and really my training hasn't been all that hard on me. I'm not even doing strength trainign right now in my routine.

B)Diet?-yes I don't think I was eating enough carbs and calories for the amount of training+the daily rigors of life so I upped my carbs and caloric intake and now I have tonnes of energy left at the end of the day

C) Coffee- I tried to quit coffee..I realise with two small kids up at sunrise that I have come to rely on coffee. So I'm a coffee drinker for life, just not Tim Horon's blah!!

Anyway it's off to the pool for me and my daughter then maybe a workout today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11