BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-06-05 6:42 AM
in reply to: hwkirby

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN
Thanks everyone,
surprisingly I feel great. No muscle aches whatsoever. I am not sure if its a good thing or bad thing, but I remember how sore and sorry I was after my first 10k run (last March). This time nothing apart fromchafing under my arms, oh and sunburn. My husband has told people I have gone from couch to Olympic tri in 18months, which is actually true, and sounds more impressive than it actually is.
Enjoying our holiday if eating too much, and lounging around, and will watch IM Cairns in person on Sunday. Will get back into training when we get home. Need to concentrate on running and chip away at it, to getstronger and faster.

2013-06-05 7:08 AM
in reply to: Divemedic

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: First tri of the season: check!

Originally posted by Divemedic Congrats everyone on completing their first races..I'm still a month away from my first race of the year. I had to do some thinking when it came to my training. I was feeling rundown all the time, so I came to a conclusion. A)overtraining?- the answer was no I had enough rest days and really my training hasn't been all that hard on me. I'm not even doing strength trainign right now in my routine. B)Diet?-yes I don't think I was eating enough carbs and calories for the amount of training+the daily rigors of life so I upped my carbs and caloric intake and now I have tonnes of energy left at the end of the day C) Coffee- I tried to quit coffee..I realise with two small kids up at sunrise that I have come to rely on coffee. So I'm a coffee drinker for life, just not Tim Horon's blah!! Anyway it's off to the pool for me and my daughter then maybe a workout today.

Fueling is critical.  A bit of pre-work fuel, certainly post-workout or race carb replenishment (most in the 30' following, then nibble more for as long after that as the workout exceeded 30', then back to normal).

I consider coffee a critical training element (as well as helping with marital accord and child care!!) and am a happy addict.  Laughing

Best,

Matt

2013-06-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

East of the Rockies
Matt congrats on the run and the tri!! Back to back no less, impressive! I had to chuckle at myself as you were commenting on the distance being a little more than sprint distances and I was thinking...well here in Canada that is less than what we do for a sprint...then it dawned on me that you are talking miles not kilometres!! LOL! So yeah most definitely longer than the usual sprint. I too am surprised at the fitness level of us older types! I am 49 now (and holding ) and guys my age can still really move! So yeah if a guy wants a podium your going to have to earn it!! No cake walk to be certain!
Felicity I was surprised myself after my sprint how good I felt. Went home had a hot bath and felt great! I don't know if I could have said that after an OLY though! Enjoy a well deserved break!
David you played your weight training right! At our age we need to go slow and easy, little tough on the pride I know but there is no sense being sore/bruised for days on end. Good call! You will find you will build your reps and weight fast enough! Way to go!
Jason I thought I remembered you having a race this past weekend...no?
Happy training everyone!
Howard
2013-06-05 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Sorry took me a while to get back into the swing of things on here.

Matt- Awesome job with the race. Always good to carry that confidence over to the next race!!!!

Howard- I did have a race this past weekend! everything is on on my blog (new race report!)

Outside of that I have had a tough training week! Had a great hour run this morning with a 30 minute tempo run at 6:25/mile in the middle. Then this evening had our Wednesday worlds crit training race, which always means fast and pain cave. Finished it off with a couple glasses of wine and now feeling a little tipsy Tomorrow is my birthday...Im getting old...26!!!!!!!! Treating myself to a morning swim, followed by weights and an easy hour run. Then Friday my wife has something planned for my birthday but isn't telling what it is!
2013-06-06 12:01 PM
in reply to: swimmer04

User image

East of the Rockies
Subject: ---
Jason, that's what I'm talking about! Love reading your race stories! 26!!!! I have to think real hard to remember what it was like when I was that age! haha Enjoy your youth young man! There is no way I could do what your doing now! Shoot even with what I am doing now I NEED my recovery days, let alone do what you do in a week! Speaking of recovery next WEEK is a recovery week which is good as I will most likely be fairly tired after the wedding Saturday. You know the only thing I wonder with these training plans, currently doing the 2X Balanaced offered here on BT, is that they give you "times" to train but they don't give you any idea as to volume. So I can run for 70 minutes but if I am only doing 5-7 km that really doesn't mean much. I wish they could give you some "volume base" to go with the "time base" to give a better indication as to where you should be when race day rolls around. Any thoughts from the group here? What kind of volume and time are you putting into your weekly training schedule.
Happy training everyone! Howard
2013-06-06 3:58 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: ---
Happy birthday Jason. I'm over twice your age but won't be in a couple more years.

I have been training without a plan this week. Still mostly lower volumes. Felt very good during the run yesterday but the swim was a little tough. I did 1:15 on the bike on Tuesday including two 20-minute hard intervals.

Forgot to mention that I rode past a Copperhead snake that was coiled with its head up in the middle of the bike lane a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice it till I was right even with it; a little freaky. That was when the weather was still warming up and I guess it was enjoying the warm pavement.

I plan to lift and play racquetball tonight (need to quit this) and bike tomorrow.

Jason--I'm close to deciding on a new training plan but need some advice that I can ignore... You covered this some during the last mentor session; mentioning that to try to peak 3 times in a year is tough and also mentioned that we beginners should start back towards the beginning of a build-plan after we peak for our primary race (at least I think that's what you said). I am looking at two secondary races now that I've finished the Olympic. One race is about 9 weeks out and the other about 9 weeks after that. I am considering doing a 9-week plan for the first then dropping and doing another 9-week plan. Do you think I would do better to build for the race that is 18 weeks out and catch the earlier race as part of this training or go with two plans which leads to two more "peaks"? I want to follow an Olympic training plan even though the races are, in miles, .5/22/3.75 and .33/16/3. If the longer race was second, I'd lean towards one plan catching the shorter race during the program but the longer race comes first.

Howard--I tried to follow the BT 3xOlympic plan and my peak week volumes were around: 8800 yds/59 miles/ 21 miles; did longer run volumes earlier in the plan. I should have done more bike miles; I only reached about 60% of the bike time but miles and times were mostly on the trainer.

2013-06-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: Day-Day

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

RR fixed, i think.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=491421 

Enjoy, if so inclined!

Matt

2013-06-09 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
sorry havent been checking in.
I've barely had time to keep on my training schedule (and even fudged on that a bit).

anyways, completed sprint tri yesterday.

my race report can be found here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

here is the quick and dirty: finished in 1:37:41 20/28 for my age group

Swim: sucked, but OK for me. wasn't last. pace 3:23 per 100m 24/28 age group
Bike: pretty sucky at average 14.75 mph 19/28 age group
Run: awesome! best 5k ever at 29:36 and pace of 9:31 per mile 14/28 age group

-jacki

Edited by themissj1981 2013-06-09 2:08 PM
2013-06-09 7:36 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

Bartlett, TN
Nice job Jacki! I guess it's that time of year (for North America anyway) as a lot of racing going on among the mentor group.

I have managed to waste another weekend which is especially bad with business travel coming up this week. I needed a rest on Saturday and spent part of the day driving to my son's house and we finally replaced the water pump on his truck. So, Sunday was going to be a good workout day until my wife shanghaied me into yard work and a few other chores.

I plan to get a swim and ride in Monday if the weather holds up; otherwise, swim and treadmill. Travel and work all day and night Tuesday but I should be able to run Wednesday and Thursday mornings while at the hotel.
2013-06-11 8:59 AM

User image

Little Harbour
Hey just checking in, been biking more and running more. Also started with some weight training as right now my left shoulder hurts, Ithink Ihave what is called swimmer's shoulder. I can't lift it above my head without causeing sme pain. GRRRRR
2013-06-11 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Divemedic Hey just checking in, been biking more and running more. Also started with some weight training as right now my left shoulder hurts, Ithink Ihave what is called swimmer's shoulder. I can't lift it above my head without causeing sme pain. GRRRRR

Ugh- had a similar issue with my left shoulder last December and was out of the pool for 6 weeks post cortisone shot (mine got a lot worse than yours sounds, so hopefully you can avoid a similar fate during race season!).  I came back veeerrrry slowly, staring with a maddeningly short 400yd total workout and working up to ~2,000 over about 5 weeks.  Knock wood, it's ok now.

Does it remit any with rest (even a couple day's worth)?

Been quiet on this thread of late.  I have my next Oly coming up at month's end.  Kind of training through, although it's after a rest week (3 week build, 1 week "rest and test").  As I've signed up for a HIM (Timberman) on August 18th, my training plan has had to evolve a little.

Current thinking is to stick with Oly intensity and distances during the week and do the HIM long days for Sat/Sun.  Build as above through June 30, then a 2 week build, one week taper to the next Oly (a sprint on July 14th - that'll be tough at the end of a 2 week build - and then taper for a week to the July 21st race).

Then take the next 4 weeks and do a 2 week HIM specific build, one week HIM peak, one week HIM taper and then race.

As for the back half of the season, prolly a couple sprints and then back to a more run focus - I love fall road races!  Plus, Kim is into the road race thing these days, so we'll get to race together more that way.

Anywho, hope you're all able to get after it!

Best,

Matt

2013-06-11 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Originally posted by Day-Day

Happy birthday Jason. I'm over twice your age but won't be in a couple more years.

I have been training without a plan this week. Still mostly lower volumes. Felt very good during the run yesterday but the swim was a little tough. I did 1:15 on the bike on Tuesday including two 20-minute hard intervals.

Forgot to mention that I rode past a Copperhead snake that was coiled with its head up in the middle of the bike lane a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice it till I was right even with it; a little freaky. That was when the weather was still warming up and I guess it was enjoying the warm pavement.

I plan to lift and play racquetball tonight (need to quit this) and bike tomorrow.

Jason--I'm close to deciding on a new training plan but need some advice that I can ignore... You covered this some during the last mentor session; mentioning that to try to peak 3 times in a year is tough and also mentioned that we beginners should start back towards the beginning of a build-plan after we peak for our primary race (at least I think that's what you said). I am looking at two secondary races now that I've finished the Olympic. One race is about 9 weeks out and the other about 9 weeks after that. I am considering doing a 9-week plan for the first then dropping and doing another 9-week plan. Do you think I would do better to build for the race that is 18 weeks out and catch the earlier race as part of this training or go with two plans which leads to two more "peaks"? I want to follow an Olympic training plan even though the races are, in miles, .5/22/3.75 and .33/16/3. If the longer race was second, I'd lean towards one plan catching the shorter race during the program but the longer race comes first.

Howard--I tried to follow the BT 3xOlympic plan and my peak week volumes were around: 8800 yds/59 miles/ 21 miles; did longer run volumes earlier in the plan. I should have done more bike miles; I only reached about 60% of the bike time but miles and times were mostly on the trainer.

David,
Doing two 'A' races 9 weeks apart is fine, it is all about carrying over your fitness then nailing a good taper. I wouldn't recommend starting a training plan back at the beginning, since typically those plans start out pretty easy and are below the current fitness level that you are after a race. You'll want to carry that fitness into the next training phase and basically work to fine tune your engine instead of building your engine (which would have been done over the off season). I would recommend taking an easy recovery week the week after the race, than 4 weeks of good solid training. Weeks 6 and 7 should be speed focused to help your body reach that peak. Don't be afraid to add speed in weeks 2-5, just not as much as you would in 6 and 7. I race a triathlon almost every 4 weeks (once a month), but typically only pick 3 of those to really peak for and will back off maybe 2 days before for all the others. To me the joy of triathlons is racing, so the more I race the more fun it is!

Jason
2013-06-11 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Divemedic Hey just checking in, been biking more and running more. Also started with some weight training as right now my left shoulder hurts, Ithink Ihave what is called swimmer's shoulder. I can't lift it above my head without causeing sme pain. GRRRRR

Ugh- had a similar issue with my left shoulder last December and was out of the pool for 6 weeks post cortisone shot (mine got a lot worse than yours sounds, so hopefully you can avoid a similar fate during race season!).  I came back veeerrrry slowly, staring with a maddeningly short 400yd total workout and working up to ~2,000 over about 5 weeks.  Knock wood, it's ok now.

Been quiet on this thread of late.  I have my next Oly coming up at month's end.  Kind of training through, although it's after a rest week (3 week build, 1 week "rest and test").  As I've signed up for a HIM (Timberman) on August 18th, my training plan has had to evolve a little.

Current thinking is to stick with Oly intensity and distances during the week and do the HIM long days for Sat/Sun.  Build as above through June 30, then a 2 week build, one week taper to the next Oly (a sprint on July 14th - that'll be tough at the end of a 2 week build - and then taper for a week to the July 21st race).

Then take the next 4 weeks and do a 2 week HIM specific build, one week HIM peak, one week HIM taper and then race.

As for the back half of the season, prolly a couple sprints and then back to a more run focus - I love fall road races!  Plus, Kim is into the road race thing these days, so we'll get to race together more that way.

Best,

Matt

Matt,
sounds like a good plan, only thing I would suggest is maybe a longer HIM taper if that is an 'A' race. A 2 week gradual taper for HIM would be ideal. First two days will be "lighter" than normal, but your body won't think so, than gradually get lighter with volume but keep in that intensity.
2013-06-11 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Sorry I have been MIA! Been busy lately and has effecting my training a little with having to move days around and fit everything in! I try not to worry about it since I know I will get back on track and have some time untill my next triathlon (mid July). Just not a lot of races around here that I want to do in June aside from a local sprint where they want $100....no thank you, I don't like paying out my @$$ for a local race that gives me a small plastic trophy if you win overall. Plus I have done their events before and they are never marked clearly (limited volunteers to help cut costs). Although exciting news is I just purchased another car and will be picking it up this afternoon! I have a F150 and my wife has a Volvo s40, but I am a car guy and needed something fun and fast, so I bought a Nissan 350Z!!!! I already got a bike in this morning so I could drive it around alllllllll night!
2013-06-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by swimmer04

• David,
    Doing two 'A' races 9 weeks apart is fine, it is all about carrying over your fitness then nailing a good taper. I wouldn't recommend starting a training plan back at the beginning, since typically those plans start out pretty easy and are below the current fitness level that you are after a race. You'll want to carry that fitness into the next training phase and basically work to fine tune your engine instead of building your engine (which would have been done over the off season). I would recommend taking an easy recovery week the week after the race, than 4 weeks of good solid training. Weeks 6 and 7 should be speed focused to help your body reach that peak. Don't be afraid to add speed in weeks 2-5, just not as much as you would in 6 and 7. I race a triathlon almost every 4 weeks (once a month), but typically only pick 3 of those to really peak for and will back off maybe 2 days before for all the others. To me the joy of triathlons is racing, so the more I race the more fun it is!

Jason

Thanks Jason. "Fine tune your engine"...I like that. This makes sense. I don't think I could pick up training back at the beginning; I'd feel like I wasn't doing anything. I am starting to see what you have mentioned about your plans and how you have learned how your body responds and you can adjust your training based on individual needs.

I bought my wife a 350Z for our 25th wedding anniversary 6 years ago. She lets me drive it when it needs maintenance or gas. There are some curves that my crappy car can only take at about 20 mph while the Z wants to take them at about 80mph with no problems. Very fun car but there is no way to really open it up to its capabilities...

Edited by Day-Day 2013-06-12 12:24 PM
    2013-06-12 9:31 AM

User image

East of the Rockies
    ohhh 350Z!! Thats a nice set of wheels!! Congrats!! Well we got the wedding done Saturday and I must admit I am glad it is a recovery week as I have felt a little "off" the past couple of days. Probably just recovery from stress from the weekend. Did a spin class this morning and had trouble powering through it. Hopefully I'll have the energy to get in a decent swim after work.
    Howard

2013-06-12 10:38 PM

User image

Just checking in!

Back from my Vancouver trip/work conference thing. All I did was walk a few days with my coworker as it was pretty hard to do much else. So.. I am out a few days training. Not worried. Did 30.02 km on my bike today in 1.05.44. I was happy with that. Haven't read through all the posts, but just poking my head in to say hi. Will take time and read things more carefully tomorrow. Toodles, gang!
    2013-06-13 12:38 PM

User image

Little Harbour
    Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Best,

Matt

The pain has started to subside..the only time there was no pain was when my left arm was at rest. Right now I just have normal workout pain in my biceps. Just trying to do anything that didn't cause my shoulder pain. It did cause soem restless nights as I sleep normally on my left arm with it extended out. My wife started wondering why I wasn't cuddling her lately at night.
    2013-06-13 9:32 PM

User image

Random silly question :/ 2 1/2 weeks from first tri wondering about hydration.... I have always used a camel back.... Is this allowed? I know it's not light but I love it can I use it for my oly? Already found out I can't bike and run with my I phone cried a little when I found out ! Jk but would be crushed if I can't use my camel back :/
    2013-06-14 7:29 AM
    in reply to: Moody1775

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Mount Joy
    Originally posted by Moody1775

Random silly question :/ 2 1/2 weeks from first tri wondering about hydration.... I have always used a camel back.... Is this allowed? I know it's not light but I love it can I use it for my oly? Already found out I can't bike and run with my I phone cried a little when I found out ! Jk but would be crushed if I can't use my camel back :/

Check to see how many aid stations there are for the run. Typically for an OLY there are aid stations either every mile or at least 2-3 stations throughout the run. Taking in water or Gatorade here should be more than enough hydration.
    2013-06-14 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Mount Joy
    Finally starting to get back into the groove. Did 3200 yards in the pool this morning, mixed in a couple fast efforts. Then heading over to the track for a great workout. 2 mile, 1 mile, 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile, 200 yards, 100 yards. Goal for each was to negative split...great workout!

2013-06-14 4:17 PM

User image

Regular
    NSW
    Well, I am back home after my holiday in the tropics, and it is a little bit chilly here! winter temps average 16c during the day here, but we do get some cold bursts under 10c.
    I am feeling a tad guilty for doing bugger all on my holiday......and eating far too much crap! But think my mind if not my body needed the break. Now to motivate myself to get going again! Lucky I have a 10k run coming up in July so will start training again for that.
    Have been reading through posts and you all seem busy with the comp season, can't wait to hear how everyone goes in their first races.
    Jacqui I read through your report, and you did well envious of your run at the back of the sprint tri. The second one I did, I also drank too much on the bike leg and felt it swishing during the run. I think it was nervous drinking out of habit.
    Howard, glad the wedding went well, and I am sure that you have earned your rest, weddings are very emotional events.
    Jason, you are only 26? Wow, that def explains your boundless energy and drive...hope you had a great bday.

While in Cairns I watched the Cairns HIM and IM and they were pretty amazing. Lots of pros out in force, and some pretty spectacular age groupers. A great atmosphere as well. I did notice that some of the age groupers had camel backs during the ride for the HIM. There were lots of teams in this as well.
    Off to parkrun this morning to do a 5k, which I haven't done since the triathlon a couple of weekd ago. Not looking forward to seeing my time as it is bound to be bad!
    have a great weekend everyone.
    Felicity
    2013-06-16 8:23 PM
    in reply to: flossybach

User image

Little Harbour
    Happy Fathers Day to all the dad's!!

Today I spent my father's day with my kiddo's watching my wife do herfirst ever organised race since she started running. It's not something that has come easy for her but I am proud. Se finished her first 5k in 35:09!!
    2013-06-17 2:10 AM

User image

Regular
    NSW
    Originally posted by Divemedic

Happy Fathers Day to all the dad's!!

Today I spent my father's day with my kiddo's watching my wife do herfirst ever organised race since she started running. It's not something that has come easy for her but I am proud. Se finished her first 5k in 35:09!!

Thats a great effort from your wife! I only did my first running in Oct 2011 which was 37min for 5ks.
    2013-06-17 8:30 PM
    in reply to: flossybach

Bartlett, TN
    I managed to get something accomplished over the weekend for a change. My wife and I visited her father Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, after spending time on the river, I convinced myself (motivation was getting low) to get a run in before going to the drink-in-laws for supper. Did a nice 5.3 miles with some hills. Sunday, still tried to talk myself out of it but stuck with the plan and rode the bike; probably my most significant ride since I started this mess with the combination of duration and effort. 2:08 hours with hard efforts on long uphills; my legs were shot during the last 30 minutes of the ride...yes!

Another mini-vacation coming up the end of this week so I needed to get these workouts in along with workouts over the next couple of days. 2100 yards in the pool today with shorter intervals (100's, 50's, 25's); followed it up with a 32 minute run including three 5 minute intervals at below 5k pace. Neither workout was huge but they felt pretty good. Last week's schedule was hurt with business travel...
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11