BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-06-18 4:42 AM
in reply to: Day-Day

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN
David, I don't think I have ever ridden the bike for over 2hrs, how did you pull up afterward?
I am still getting over the holiday.....first day back at work and second evening spent drinking wine and eating cheese and bickies....need to get a handle on this!
How do you keep youself in check on business trips? I struggle with my diet when I dont have a routine.
Felicity

2013-06-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: flossybach

Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by flossybach

David, I don't think I have ever ridden the bike for over 2hrs, how did you pull up afterward?
I am still getting over the holiday.....first day back at work and second evening spent drinking wine and eating cheese and bickies....need to get a handle on this!
How do you keep youself in check on business trips? I struggle with my diet when I dont have a routine.
Felicity

Felicity--It is tough to keep the meals in check and I don’t always manage to eat right; also the eating schedule can get out of whack. Last week was bad because of flight delays and abnormal work hours.

Left home early Tuesday morning for a long day of flying and ground travel for meetings in Newark, New Jersey; then flew from Newark to Indianapolis, Indiana, that night getting to the hotel around midnight. Wednesday was good during the day and the area around the hotel was great for running. A couple of meetings Wednesday evening starting at 6pm and going on until after 1am; traveled back home Thursday morning. Eating and sleep were all messed up.

We had vacation right after my race in May and my body started to get used to relaxing and eating more junk. I’m just now getting training back up and now I’m heading to the beach Thursday. I plan to take my bike so I don’t end up going too long without a ride.
2013-06-18 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by flossybach David, I don't think I have ever ridden the bike for over 2hrs, how did you pull up afterward? I am still getting over the holiday.....first day back at work and second evening spent drinking wine and eating cheese and bickies....need to get a handle on this! How do you keep youself in check on business trips? I struggle with my diet when I dont have a routine. Felicity

Cross-cultural-exchange opportunity.  What are bickies?

It sounds like they'd put a handle (or two) on me!

Smile

Matt

2013-06-18 4:58 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
NSW
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by flossybach David, I don't think I have ever ridden the bike for over 2hrs, how did you pull up afterward? I am still getting over the holiday.....first day back at work and second evening spent drinking wine and eating cheese and bickies....need to get a handle on this! How do you keep youself in check on business trips? I struggle with my diet when I dont have a routine. Felicity

Cross-cultural-exchange opportunity.  What are bickies?

It sounds like they'd put a handle (or two) on me!

Smile

Matt

Lol Matt, bickies is the colloquial name for biscuits. By these I mean savoury type like watercrackers, and yes they do have the ability to remain on your hips or waist long after they are enjoyed.
Felicity
2013-06-19 9:09 AM

User image

East of the Rockies
Learned a tough lesson yesterday! Got my 2000 metres done in the pool and start my cool down so I am thinking I should do some more drills. I think hey I haven't put on the flippers yet! Well I don't even make it 25 metres and my hamstrings start to give me some grief at about the 35 m mark they are totally seized up! MAN does that hurt! They kept spazzing for the next 10 minutes and I finally managed to get out of the lane pool and into the hot tub and stretch them buggers out! Sheesh! Won't be doing that again anytime soon! So I iced them last night and managed to get through spin class okay this morning so hopefully it is behind me (no pun intended)!
I could use a "bickie" about now!! Sounds yummy!
Happy training everyone! Howard
2013-06-20 3:13 PM
in reply to: hwkirby

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Howard,
For some reason fins seems to creat cramping problems! I get them in my calves and they are a bugger!

Did 3800 in the pool this morning followed by Squats as such...
20 reps @ 125
15 reps @ 135
12 reps @ 155
10 reps @ 155
8 reps @ 165
6 reps @ 175
4 reps @ 180
2 reps @ 185

No half bad..followed that up with a easy hour run, which took a little bit until my legs felt like they were under me!

2013-06-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: swimmer04

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, I have my first (ever) Oly coming up in a bit over a week.  I'm hoping to learn a bit more about pacing in a longer event, but I'm guessing it's still just redline redline redline (if not, I'll certainly find out!).

This was to be at the end of my second and last build block (3 weeks build, 1 week "rest and test") before an oly specific 2 week peak and one week race taper for the July 21st race.  BUT, having signed up for a HIM in August has scrambled things a bit.  Still approaching next week's race as before - just a recovery week prior, rather than a true peak/taper cycle.

But, for the next Oly, instead of a 2 week peak (decreasing workout length, increasing intensity up to all at race pace) and one week taper, I'll be doing a 2 week build (the second week being just a BIT lower volume that normal) and one week taper.  Not sure if that will shed enough fatigue to really hammer the Oly, but I am now wigged out at the thought of losing fitness before the HIM!

Kind of bummed, as I wanted to treat the last Oly as my A race this year, but I'm just as pumped about the HIM.  So, looks like I'll have an "A-" oly and an "A-" HIM.  All in, worth it, I think!

This will certainly be "educational," as it'll be my first full season of tri's, my first Oly distances and my first HIM.  Tongue out  I know I should approach this with the idea that I should try to finish feeling good and just learn, but I can't help think about how to pace for my best race.  As I've said before, if I have a number on me, I'm going for it.

Anyone here have advice for how to mentally wrap one's head around accepting that a race might not be the best you could do (not tapering enough or the like means you race hard, but won't go as fast)?  I need some "mental floss" to get my head screwed on right!  Laughing

Matt

2013-06-22 1:54 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
Matt,
thats pretty keen to do an Oly and back up with HIM. You are braver and probably fitter than I, thats for sure!
Having only done the one Oly and a few sprints my only advise on pace is steady as she goes, particularly on the bike. You know your limits and the beginning of a 40k ride which is followed by a 10k run is prob not when you want to be practicing going as fast as poss. I used my cadency thing on the bike as a guide and aimed to ride approx 30km/hr with cadence of 90-100. Now I know thats not particularly fast, but for me it was slightly uncomfortable pushed my HR to 155-160 so I knew I could sustain it. Bearing in mind that I am a runner so need to preserve as much as possible for the last leg.
Not sure if this is helpful....I speak as a novice!
cheers
Felicity
2013-06-22 2:02 AM

User image

Regular
NSW

Hi Everyone,
Have to relay this to you all......
I have laughing all morning because today I recieved an Invite to the US 5150 Hy-Vee Age Group championship, on the back of my Olympic tri result.
Apparently these are held on Sept 1st at Des Moines, Iowa. Have any of you heard of this?
The reason I was laughing is because to qualify you have to top 15 in your age group. Top 15 in my age group is pretty much the entire field.
Felicity
2013-06-22 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Felicity, it is a pretty cool event. Top 5 in your age group got complimentary entries. I think the qualifying standards are a little broad but I think they do that because only a small percentage of those 15 actually go. I qualified for the same race after winning my Columbia race. Wife and I were planning to go out, but pretty expensive till all said and done so I think I'm going to do some more local races.

Jason
2013-06-22 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
NSW
Wow should aim for top 5 next time! Lol.
I don't they would get many Australians going.....the overall cost is too much. But its worthwhile thinking about for the future. I would def consider it as part of a US holiday. Just got to work where Iowa is.

2013-06-29 10:26 AM

User image

Little Harbour
JUst thought I would check in. I dont know wat people's personal opinion on strength training is but I am now a firm believer in it. I tooka few weeks off due to shoulder pain, and went to the gym and did mostly leg workouts. WELL I went for a run the other day and I shaved 10 mins off my 5k run!! I was doing 5k a month ago in 35-40 mins the other day I did itin 28:32mins with a average mins/km of 5:42 and my last KM I did in 4:42!! Lets just say I was back in the gym today! Were in the middle of quite the rainy period so no runs or bikes or open water swims planned in the forseeable future!
Jeremy
PS:I am doing the workouts from the Triathlete's Training Bible and I am on the firstphase.
2013-06-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: Divemedic

User image

Race report: swim was smooth but started with ails panic attack I calmed down and pushed on.... T1 was faster than I thought it would be.... The major hills were not as hard as I thought .... Bike section was going great until shortly after the turn around... A huge storm came in and they canceled the rest of the race due to the thunder very disappointed but happy that I did the swim and4 out of 5 of the climbs with no difficulty
2013-06-30 5:23 AM
in reply to: Moody1775

User image

Regular
NSW
Originally posted by Moody1775

Race report: swim was smooth but started with ails panic attack I calmed down and pushed on.... T1 was faster than I thought it would be.... The major hills were not as hard as I thought .... Bike section was going great until shortly after the turn around... A huge storm came in and they canceled the rest of the race due to the thunder very disappointed but happy that I did the swim and4 out of 5 of the climbs with no difficulty

Oh no that is very disappointing, but at least you were able to get through the swim, getting over the panic attacks in the water can be a challenge.

You don't want to be hit by lightening, though!
Felicity
2013-06-30 3:42 PM

User image

Yes it was getting scary out there it just was so disappointing I had the easy part left stupid panhandle weather lol I guess there is next year!
2013-06-30 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
NSW
for me the swimming is the easy part....the running is the challenge! Whats panhandle weather? Never heard that saying before.

Hi Everyone,
I have finally edited and posted my race report as below. Not sure how to make it link correctly.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

cheers
Felicity

2013-07-01 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

RR up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=493897  

Had a GREAT time at my first Oly. 

Matt

2013-07-01 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Moody1775 Race report: swim was smooth but started with ails panic attack I calmed down and pushed on.... T1 was faster than I thought it would be.... The major hills were not as hard as I thought .... Bike section was going great until shortly after the turn around... A huge storm came in and they canceled the rest of the race due to the thunder very disappointed but happy that I did the swim and4 out of 5 of the climbs with no difficulty

Wow - total bummer!  

Well, dealing with panic on the OWS is a great learning experience, and I suppose the rest has to be chalked up to good training.  Small consolation, I know.  I'd be torqued with Mother Nature, but I guess less so than if I got struck by lightning!  

I hope the next one goes better for you.

Matt

2013-07-01 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by flossybach for me the swimming is the easy part....the running is the challenge! Whats panhandle weather? Never heard that saying before. Hi Everyone, I have finally edited and posted my race report as below. Not sure how to make it link correctly. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... cheers Felicity

Congrats - great race!

Sounds like you hit the bike perfectly, and sometimes a swim that feels "easy" sets up a good race (the old saw: "You can't win a tri on the swim, but you sure can lose it" comes to mind).

As for getting in and out of shoes on the bike, I go to a little parking lot next to my house a few days before the race and practice just getting into and out of my shoes (I ride without socks, too, and run without them up through Olympic distances - I think I'll probably wear them for anything over Oly's, though).  It helps a ton with confidence and the time saved in transition is easier to get than running faster!  

Congrats again on your first Oly.  PR!!!

Matt

2013-07-01 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Matt,
Completely agree, shoes in the bike takes tons of practice. I make sure the week of a race to practice my transitions everday leading up to the race, even if it is only 5-10 minutes worth it helps! As for running I've done all my races without socks and typically never wear socks except for my long runs over 13 miles or so. Makes for a quick transition and if you have the right shoes I feel it helps my feet breathe better.

Race report coming today from a Road Race I did on Saturday. It was hot!
2013-07-01 11:57 AM

User image

The Texas and Oklahoma panhandles are known for very crazy weather that comes without warning. I am looking at another oly August 25 just have to see if its in the budget :/ but it was a great learning race and I am very happy that they called the race the conditions were very bad.

2013-07-01 3:36 PM

User image

Little Harbour
GRRRRRRRRR. The race I was planning on doing has been cancelled due to logistics and differences with the local law enforcement. The officer that takes care of special events such as these isn't a fan of closing down roads for these types of events.
2013-07-03 8:01 AM
in reply to: Divemedic

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Finally got around to writing a race report! Check out the blog nothing great, but gearing up for a big criterium this saturday , followed by first autocross in the Z, then next weekend OlympicTri in Maryland!
2013-07-03 9:56 AM

User image

Hello everyone!

I am still alive. I have had foot problems plaguing me so I have not trained much in the past two weeks other than the odd bike ride and occassional swim. My cortisone did not help my foot problem and I have had to drop the Oly race and I am dropped down to the Sprint as I cannot run more than 3.5 km without my foot hurting. So I am majorly bummed as I love to run, long distances in fact. But I am happy to see eevryone else training so hard. It is inspiring to me to resume training and try and keep my chin up and stick with the Sprint distance...

Cheers
Irene
2013-07-05 1:37 PM
in reply to: RunningReenie

User image

East of the Rockies
Thought I better check in myself as I have been busy with life, work and training. Enjoyed reading the race reports and Jason's blog! In regard to training I have upped my game quite a bit these past couple of weeks and I can certainly feel it in my body. My spin classes ended mid June and I am finding it difficult trying to get out and get some decent miles in on the bike. I am going to pay for it in my OLY in August if I don't get after it here right away. I have increased my distances in the pool and running and athough my swim continues to improve I am a little dissappointed in my run times so I am looking to switch that up a bit. I think I am going to start doing some speed drills and see if I can't shake myself out of my slow and steady pace! Will be in recovery mode next week and I have my second sprint on the 14th and am looking forward to seeing how my training is progressing. Will be going full out after that as my OLY in August is on the 11th! Makes me nervous thinking about it! LOL! Take care all and happy training!

Howard
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11