Life Essentials
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 12s
Overall Rank = 9/282
Age Group = M31-40
Age Group Rank = 4/28
Pre-race routine:

Six years ago I did this race with my Best Man on the same day I got married so as part of our anniversary weekend my wife and I decided to run it together this year.

Woke up at 6:30AM with the kiddos and pounded a sausage biscuit. Breakfast of champions.
Event warmup:

By the time my wife and I had picked up our race packets, walked back to the car, walked back to the race, and hit the bathroom I only had time for a 3/4 mile warmup.
Run
  • 22m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My marathon training plan had called for a 2 X 1 mile lactate threshold workout, but I figured this race would be a decent substitute. I didn't want to go all out because I had to run 7 miles the next day.

I went out pretty fast and actually kept the leaders in sight for the first 2 miles or so. By the time we hit the first mile the field had sorted itself out and I was in 7th place without anyone nearby. I had delusions of catching up to the lead group but those disappeared when I was caught from behind around mile 2. Another guy ran me down with about a quarter mile to go and I finished in 9th. Of course the two guys who passed me were in my age group and of course this knocked me into 4th place and right off the awards podium. So that's 2 times doing this race, six years apart, and both times I've hit the magical 4th spot.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster! But I didn't want to cash myself for the 7 miler. I need to keep my eye on the long term goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and cheered people on until my wife finished. She went sub-30 and I'm very proud of her doing so well so soon after our daughter was born.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to run 7 miles the next day. Running 3 miles the day before.

Event comments:

The t-shirt says "Talk Derby to Me". What else do you need?

Last updated: 2013-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:12 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 4/282
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4