Culver Academy
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 45s
Overall Rank = 43/186
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Very unroutine. Friday I had a wedding rehearsal and ended up drinking a few beers being on my feet and up until 2am. Woke up Saturday morning at 7am with my daughter stepping on me. I had to sleep on the floor since my inlaws had everyone staying at there house. Wedding had me watching on my feet and in the sun for pictures and being thirsty with no water all afternoon. Went to bed at 12 and was up at 4am for the drive to the race 90 min's away. Arrived at the same time as Eric about 6:30 and we set up the transition and got marked.
Event warmup:

Eric and I went on a 15 min run on the first part of the course and to get a good look at the first real steep climb of the race. I then went for a 15 min ride on the first part of the course up the first big climb to get loose and to get my bike in the right starting gear. Wanted to swim but ran out of time. Still my best warm up at a race. I will continue to do this.
Swim
  • 08m 50s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably my best open water swim ever. My time doesn't look all that great but I had never swam with waves before. This was something new and I enjoyed it. There were times I would be putting my arm in the water just as a wave would hit me and it would slice right through nice and smooth, it felt very cool. No sidestroke for the first time in the past 4 races so hopefully that mental block of needing to rest, keep my head up or whatever is satisfied. I took it hard but controlled, if I felt like I was going to need to rest (sidestroke) I would just slow down.

Going out at the start was a bit difficult going into the waves but the way in was fast with them. My biggest problem with this lake is that you have to run/walk the last 50 yards in because it is so shallow. This easily added 1 min + to my time. Swimming in with the waves would of been so much quicker.
What would you do differently?:

Other than get more laps in the pool and drill work, nothing. I am not a fast swimmer but feeling good coming out of the water sure helps the rest of the race. I felt good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I am quicker than last year with the same swim exit and bike start so that is a plus. I could of been quicker but not by much.

Just move quicker.
Bike
  • 32m 56s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't know what to expect but I knew I had a 5K coming up that was suppossed to be hilly on the first half. My thinking then was to push the first part of the bike hard. I knew the first hill from last year and passed several going up and down. After that it was one hill after another and I kept looking for the first wave riders coming back. It seemed like a long while. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. On one side it could mean I am close to catching some of the first waves or I had a lot farther to go then I wanted. I saw them just as I was turning off to make the circle to head back in. The roads were wet and had some sand in a few places to make you have to think when cornering. I felt pretty good throughout but I was definately feeling it in my legs and concerning me a little about the run.

Just more miles and hill work. Training has been lacking this spring with a lot of other time committments but through it all I am happy with my effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Took way too much time here. I left with my sunglasses and returned to my bike to leave them. I wasn't going to need them and with running on the golf course I wanted to be able to see the roots and stuff. It wasn't sunny anyway.

Just leave. Get in and get out. Last year this was 48 sec's.
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Very hilly golf course with constant up and downs but I was able to manage. I tried to keep the pace up and didn't walk at all except at the last water station when I asked the guy if this was two miles. He said I had a mile and a half to go...I was at 18 min's and thinking you have got to be kidding me. I drank the water on a walk and took back off. Well I get about 150 yrds from the water station and some guy says just around the corner you are almost done. I actually had about 3/4 mile and not 1.5. I wouldn't of walked or taken water and actually would of put in a kick sooner. I wish they would mark the miles. The course is very easy to follow. They spray paint a line to follow in the grass for the entire course..they should be able to paint a number 1,2 or 3 on the ground. Either way I was happy with my time under 8 min's with my training lately and after a hard bike. Better run than Martinsville.

Train more and speed drill/work
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and get something to drink. With the overcast skies and rain is wasn't too bad out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably my whole weekend with the wedding and getting no sleep and sleeping on the floor ect...obviously training consistantly but I am pleased with the race.

Event comments:

I really like this race and will keep doing it. It is only in its second year and is still having growing pains. They really need chip timing as they had my time off by 8 min's. They had me in the Open catagory and not in the age groupers and my wave went of 8 min's afterwards. I wasn't the only one. It was very hectic at the end but they did a great job getting everything straight and were very patient as were the athletes. Not sure why they have an open catagory for the overall. If an age grouper finishes first overall he still only gets his age group trophy not the overall that goes to the open catagory. Very wierd. I got 3rd in my age group last year and missed first by one minute. I thought I had a chance to get a place this year. This years course was a lot more difficult than last years and I was 2 min's quicker. I got 4th and was 4 min's behind third who was 5 min's behind 1st and 2nd who were both under 1 hr.

Last updated: 2006-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:50 | 450 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 92/186
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: The swim was different than last year. Started away from transition and swam out 100 yrds from the beach and turned right parallel to slightly towards the beach to make another right to head straight in. Same exit as last year.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:56 | 10.5 miles | 19.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 31/186
Wind: Little
Course: Very different than last year. This year had no flats. You were either climbing a good size hill or going down a good sized hill. Occaisionally you would find a very slight incline/decline but hilly. This is a pretty good challenging course. I hope they keep it for next year. Course is basically a "P" ending at the same place that you started. It is out and around the lake.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:12 | 03.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 63/186
Course: Hilly golf course. The Culver cross country course. Very different than last year. Big loop that uses some of last years course. Finish line is the same and the start is the same.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 11:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Culver's Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-12 8:59 AM
in reply to: #479822

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Culver's Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Jim! Good job with the swim! I love waves (we have a few ocean swims here). Great run! Especially with hills and staying up late for two days! Way to forget about the adversity and have fun!
2006-07-12 10:31 AM
in reply to: #479822

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Culver's Sprint Triathlon
Great race.  You'll find as the race grows, you'll get faster and faster people who will show up to race.  Sounds like a great course!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culver's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed