St. George, Utah
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 5h 02m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15. Shredded wheat for breakfast. Kirk took me over to pick up Craig and drop us off at T2 for the bus pickup. I like having someone else at the race, it helps to settle the nerves. We had to keep all our gear in the bags at T2. No staging allowed.
Event warmup:

Swim buoy's were about 150yds out so a nice swim warm up out to them.
Swim
  • 34m 22s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water conditions were PERFECT. No chop to speak of and a balmy 62. We were wave 10 starting at 7:30. I Started on the far right in the front, I usually start in the back. Swam fairly well but I need to work on sighting. According to my Garmin I swam 1.31. You can see on the map that while I swam fairly straight and took the buoys wide but I did a lot of zig-zagging between buoy's. I did have to dodge a couple of slower swimmers from the waves in front but it wasn't too bad and I stayed wide enough that I had clear water most of the time. In the end my watch showed 1:28/100 while the official clock showed 1:46/100 and that's what matters. I Probably should have tried to draft but I never saw any feet that I could have.

Thanks to the volunteers. Couldn't have gotten my wetsuit off without you!
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight. Need to practice my OWS, it's that simple.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Felt like I took forever but I would have guess 5:00 min +. Pros are out in around a minute so there's obvious room for improvement.

Practice transition.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was great. Roads were smooth, pothole and debris free. Volunteers were awesome! Other bikers were courteous and friendly.

Luke(Friend) caught me on the bike in the first mile or two. He is a strong biker so I decided to try to keep him on my radar for as long as I could. He pulled over to the first aid station and I just kept cruising thinking he would pass me again. I didn't see him for the remainder of the bike. There was a guy in all white running a full disc that I seemed to be pacing with. I would pass him on the up hills and he would pass me on the downhill. The ride up snow canyon was a little tougher than I expected but I am glad that we did it during training so I knew what to expect. The long down hill afterwards was a welcome relief. My HR(148 avg) was higher than I plan to ride for CDA but I decided to go by feel and see how I did. It wouldn't be smart for me to ride a full that hard, I wouldn't make it. I did have some lower back pain and had to keep standing up to stretch it.

Nothing, bike was the best part.
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Tried to pull my feet out of my shoes for transition. Let's just that almost ended badly. I need to practice that if I am going to do it during a race.

Practice before the race :-/
Run
  • 1h 48m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good to get off the bike and run. My legs and lungs felt good and the pace was fine. My HR said I was going way to hard but it didn't feel like it. I Just decided that as long I can keep it in the 160's I would go for it. Luke passed me on about mile 3 of the run and he was looking strong....in fact I got passed by a lot of people on the run. I saw Mark on the run and he was looking good. I never did see Craig.

I was a little disappointed in my run but happy with my bike split. I guess something's got to give.

Like everything else, I need to work on my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with family.......felt great after the race and can keep training for CDA. Grateful to be injury free at this point.

Event comments:

What GREAT race. Amazing venue and community. I will be signing up for this one again next year. The course was NOT easy and I need to see if can do better next year.

Last updated: 2013-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:22 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Single loop course around the big island. Buoys were fairly easy to see.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: