VO2 Max
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 31s
Overall Rank = 109/230
Age Group = F20-39
Age Group Rank = 9/33
Pre-race routine:

Up early, made porridge and ate it in the car on the way. About an hour drive, and had to be registered by 9am despite the fact that my wave wasn't until 10.21. Our friends were mostly in earlier waves than me, so we cheered them all onto the bike before I went into the pool for my wave.

Setting up transition made me realise how long it is since I did a tri. I had to think hard about how I normally set up!
Event warmup:

Mostly just wandering around watching our friends at various stages of their races. Took my hoodie and shoes off about 20min before my start time so I could get into the pool and checked off early.
Swim
  • 06m 50s
  • 366 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

The waves allow for 4 people at a time in each lane, but there were only 3 in my lane. I went off first, with the others at 5sec intervals. The first guy tapped my toes after 4 lengths and I stopped to let him past. The next guy tapped me after another 2 lengths, so I let him past but then got stuck on his feet. After about 300m I finally found my flow and passed the 2nd guy again. I caught up with guy #1 just as we got to the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

It took me longer than ideal to get into my stroke. I could have done with a bit of time in the water before the race started, but the waves didn't allow for that. Once we were in the pool we had about 30sec till the whistle blew. I guess I need to think a little more about my swimming position and get it right from the start. But I can't really complain. Overall swim time is about what I'd hoped for.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Pleased with this. Kept it simple. Put my socks on as usual, but I roll them and fill them with talc, so it only takes a couple of seconds. Shoes on in transition because I'm not confident doing it on the bike.

If I can get T1 below a minute I'll be happy, but I'm not complaining. Don't think I could have improved it by much.
Bike
  • 42m 4s
  • 12.84 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my first race on the new tri bike. Headed out of transition and got onto the aero bars as early as I could. Managed all of the early corners on the aero bars, which I was really pleased with. Only got onto the bull horns when I was approaching junctions where I might have needed to brake.

Concentrated on the outward straight on getting a comfortable cadence and pushing as hard as I could. Managed to overtake a girl from my wave and make progress on a guy ahead of me.

First time down the hill in Bothal I was a complete wuss and did the whole thing on the bullhorns. Turned out I didn't need to brake at all on the way down until the very bottom for the sharp turn. Had to work hard on the steep corner on the way back up, but got back on the aero bars as fast as possible and managed to overtake the guy ahead of me just after the hill.

On lap 2 the guys with the aero helmets and deep section wheels started coming past, but I was passed by a lot less people than previous years.

On the 2nd lap I stayed on the aero bars most of the way down the hill including all the bends, which I was really pleased about. The hill killed me again 2nd time, but then I knew it was pretty flat all the way back. Just pushed it as hard as I could. It got fun when I had the tailwind on the way back in and I managed to get up some good speed.

This is the first year I haven't done a practice run on the course. It didn't seem necessary because I've done it twice before, but of course I'm on a new bike, and knowing where I needed to be off the aero bars and when I didn't would have been useful. But this is faster than both previous years (probably just the bike), so I'm happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Again, kept it simple. As usual the bikes had all bunched up on either side of my spot, so I had to rack it right on top of my towel, but otherwise it went pretty smoothly.

Put my running shoes a little further forward. They were slightly hard to reach. Otherwise not much to be done.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out of transition and just ran. First lap was ok, trying to find my rhythm. 2nd lap really hurt. Right shin felt tight and I just felt tired. I had a desperate urge to stop. It was quite hot and there were no drink stations. 3rd lap I found my flow and relaxed into it. Started feeling a lot better and managed to finish strong.

Not much I could do differently. I possibly went off a little hard, but I think if I'd taken it easier at the start I'd have been just as slow at the finish, so not much point doing that. Overall a good run, and again faster than previous years.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a load of water, a protein shake, some orange segments and half a banana at the finish. Caught up with all my friends and how their races had gone. Didn't do much to actually cool down, but felt pretty good and didn't stiffen up afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, leg strength, the usual.

Event comments:

This is the race I've started my season with for the last 3 years. It's really friendly and I know a lot of the people who do the marshalling. The organisers do their own timing, which means it can take a while to get the official results, which is a pain, but otherwise it's a fun race and good for both beginners and experienced athletes.

Last updated: 2013-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:50 | 366 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/230
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308745785 I lapped my watch as I was getting out of the pool, so my actual swimming time was 6.15, but the official time includes a 100m run from the pool to transition.
Suit: Kalas tri suit
Course: The event says it's a 400m swim, but I'm sure it's a 25yd pool, so not quite as long. The pool is really warm, and even warmer at the deep end.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:04 | 12.84 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308745790
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2.5 loops. It's twice round the loop, then out to the roundabout and double back to the start. Mostly relatively flat, but the loop goes through Bothal village, which has a hill down into the village, then a tight left turn followed by Bothal Bank, which is a short, sharp climb. Third time along the straight you loop round the roundabout and double back on yourself with a lovely tailwind back along the straight and back to the start.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:47 | 03.15 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308745800
Course: 3 laps around the park and school. Completely flat route. First time in 3 years that they've got the turnaround right so the distance was almost spot on.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: Ashington Sprint Triathlon

2013-05-06 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4729920

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Ashington Sprint Triathlon

Great job!! 

Pool swims can be hard to prep for because if we seed ourselves honestly there could be a long time between the warm up and the swim start.

Great bike & run!

2013-05-07 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4729920

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Well done.

I suspect your improvement is more than just the new bike.

That is a really strong run to finish it off.
2013-05-07 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4731709

User image

Expert

Very nice race! I've never done a tri with a pool swim, but I imagine it could be odd racing with someone in the same lane. Wannabefaster is right; the bike helps , but the engine is pretty good as well. I checked out the course, and that "Bothals Bank" looks interesting. Must really spike your heart rate!

Well done, and congrats on your first race with your pretty new bike!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ashington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed