Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
92F / 33C
Total Time = 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 10/651
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

If you hadn't guessed by the name of the race, The Night Run, this 8k went off at 8pm Saturday night. Went out for a semi hard 50 mile ride in the morning, took a nap, hit up a swim and then took another nap. Around 7pm I went out for a three mile run to flush the legs out a bit as they were pretty tired from the ride in the morning. Walked back in the door, grabbed my bib and walked the three blocks to the race start. Definitely something to be said for being able to walk to your event, much more relaxing than driving and having to deal with parking and all that jazz.
Run
  • 30m 1s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Second year running this race and I knew I'd PR it, just didn't know what I could shoot for. Given this is more of a C priority event and I was coming in on a full training load I knew I'd have to leave some on the table. Nevertheless, I felt I could go sub 30 on this day.

Lined up a few rows back from the start (mistake) and worked my way around a few slower people by the first turn. At this point I was feeling pretty ok but my legs were already letting me know they weren't fresh. Pushing through the first mile I saw 5:10 on my watch and woah Nelly! It felt good but I knew that was way too fast so I tried turning it down a little. I'd come into the race targeting a 5:50 pace and foolishly decided during the race to see if I could hold 5:30s. Yeah that turned out to be a mistake.

Wound through town and out and finally hit the turn to head south on Hayden. By the three mile mark my legs were fried and I was now into hold on for dear life mode. I'd passed the lead female around the 2 mile mark but I could hear her hanging right onto my heels...I was the rabbit. By the turn onto Osbourne I didn't really have a rabbit myself and my concentration began to lapse and I was shedding speed. Rolling into the second and last aid station at mile 4 I heard them cheering someone on just behind me and knew I needed to turn it up or risk being caught. Tried stepping on the gas a little bit and it managed to work. With half mile left I finally caught a glimpse of the guy in front of me and I seemed to be making ground on him, finally had my rabbit. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough real estate left and I finished a few seconds back.
What would you do differently?:

I went out too hard on this one, mostly because I didn't have a decent idea of what I could do on an 8k. I think if I was fresh and rested I could have held on to it but not today. Should have went out more around my 5:40 target and ran that throughout.

Post race
Warm down:

Waited around for several friends, stayed to pick up my AG award and then went to the tavern for beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Concrete training legs (typical triathlete excuse right?) and going out too fast.

Event comments:

This race was purely gun timed, had it been chip timed I would have got my sub 30. Regardless, I'm happy with my effort.

I can't say how much I enjoy this race. It's just enough novelty race in that it runs through town at night but it's not over board boutique race like a neon run or similar that I cannot stand. The organizers do a great job and it's a blast to run. Looking forward to next year and hopefully being in that lead out group the entire time.

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:01 | 04.97 miles | 06m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 10/651
Performance: Average
Course: Urban loop through the streets of Old Town Scottsdale. Start at the Civic Center and head south for half a block before turning North to run through the north end of Old Town. This is the best part of the race as you're running past all the bars with the patrons sitting on the patios cheering you on with their drinks. Eventually you end up on Camelback heading east to Hayden and then down the greenbelt to Osbourne. This stretch gets a bit dark and quiet but the volunteers out directing traffic were full of energy. Down Osborne to Drinkwater homestretch, quick right on Indian School and right turn back to the Civic Center finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes