General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anti-fogging prescription goggles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 5:01 PM

Subject: anti-fogging prescription goggles?

Hi, all.

I have done 5 triathlons, including one yesterday in Lake Hopkinton, MA (with nice 59 degree water), and for all my efforts I cannot find a pair of swim goggles that 

A) you can get in a prescription strength

B) actually do NOT fog up within 25 yards of outdoor swimming

C) do not have tinted lenses that make it all but impossible to see in lake water.

Has ANYONE found anything that works? I literally have to pull of my goggles 3 times during a race just to de-fog.

Many thanks.

2013-05-13 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4740618

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: anti-fogging prescription goggles?
As a side question, anyone have any "tried and true" anti fog products or techniques to suggest?
2013-05-13 5:15 PM

User image

Austin
spit in them, it works great!
2013-05-13 5:36 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Toothpaste. Seriously.
2013-05-13 5:38 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

http://www.aquagoggles.com/prescription-goggles/

For the fogging, get yourself a small squirt bottle and mix water and baby shampoo in it.  Before every swim put 2-3 drops of the mixture in each lens.  They will stay fog free for hours as long as you don't take them on and off constantly and/or rub your fingers in them.  Just put the drops in, rub it around to coat the lens and put them on (don't rinse).

2013-05-13 5:40 PM

User image

Pro

$9

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22598.htm

the anti fog coating on the inside works for a month or two... or until you forget and wipe out the inside with a towel.  then it's toast.

no- spit doesn' t work all that well. but I have some anti-fog drops that do OK.  At least for 1/2 hour or so.

2013-05-13 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4740635

User image

Regular
Raleigh
I use Jaws Quick Spit. Spray on, leave it sit a bit, rub it around the lens, then rinse out right before putting on the goggles. Never have a problem with fogging. The key with this or spit is to leave the goggles on once in in the water.
2013-05-13 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4740664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
switch - 2013-05-13 3:36 PMToothpaste. Seriously.
Would this not scratch the lens?
2013-05-13 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4740781

User image

Regular
LHOTP

triosaurus - 2013-05-13 7:17 PM
switch - 2013-05-13 3:36 PMToothpaste. Seriously.
Would this not scratch the lens?

No. You don't get super aggressive with it, but it helps take the coating off of new goggles and then a little spit or anti-fog and, at least in my experience, g2g. Repeat as necessary--shouldn't be too often.

When I didn't have goggles that fit well and had to dink around with them during the swim, I noticed more fog problems. Perhaps that's a contributor to the OP?  Do your goggles fit well? 

TYR Nest--perfect fit--no leaks, no fog.  Freakin' awesome.  Really I haven't done anything else to these Nests and I haven't had a single fog issue.  I've been swimming in them 5-6x/week for the last two months.

My 910xt, on the other hand, is having some condensation problems;)

2013-05-13 8:40 PM

User image

Andover, KS

I have aquagoggles, but they fog pretty bad for me.

I recently purchased aquashpere prescription goggles from swimoutlet.com; I wore them once in the pool to make sure they didn't leak and in one HIM race last month. No fogging, no leaking. Not sure how they'll hold up over the long term.

I have zero-fog brand anti-fog spray, but, in my experience, it doesn't last past (or even to the end of) 1 swim.

I haven't tried some of the others recommended in this thread b/c my eyes are so different, I need goggles I can order with different RX in each eye.

2013-05-13 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4740916

User image

Chilliwack
mc_charles - 2013-05-13 6:40 PM

I have aquagoggles, but they fog pretty bad for me.

I recently purchased aquashpere prescription goggles from swimoutlet.com; I wore them once in the pool to make sure they didn't leak and in one HIM race last month. No fogging, no leaking. Not sure how they'll hold up over the long term.

I have zero-fog brand anti-fog spray, but, in my experience, it doesn't last past (or even to the end of) 1 swim.

I haven't tried some of the others recommended in this thread b/c my eyes are so different, I need goggles I can order with different RX in each eye.

x2 Aquasphere Eagle.  I've tried a bunch, the Aquashpere Eagle fits well, and has stayed fog free for the last month with no added anti-fog stuff.

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/eye-protection/eye-protection/eagle-clear-lens

2013-05-13 11:58 PM

User image

A drop of baby shampoo always works for me. I keep a little travel bottle with my goggle bag. A drop before every workout spread between both goggles is more than enough.
2013-05-14 2:36 AM
in reply to: #4740796

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Can't say about prescription goggles, but:

- don't care about whether you can see under water, there's nothing to see, no monsters coming to eat you. relax.

- do care about over water, and tinted goggles may make it easier to see, use different colours, for indoor, outdoor and different weather conditions, for outdoor you really want UV protection and possibly also polarized (haven't tried this).

Most goggles come with an anti-fog coating. This works by flattening the tiny drops that fog really is thus making them transparent. When you clean your goggles with your thumbs (or toothpaste!?) you rub this coating off.

As long as you avoid rubbing your goggles they will stay fog free for a good time. If they fog up, just rinse. I've long time had the habit of rubbing my goggles, and they'd be fog free for less than a month. Then last year I decided to not touch the lenses and my goggles remained fog free for 6+ months.

Eventually the coating is lost, in that case you may try to resort to the other tips mentioned here.

If you swim in the ocean make sure to rinse your goggles in clear water after each swim.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but you may consider using contacts, to have the full range of goggles available, and cheaper. And I guess it also makes transit faster.

switch - 2013-05-14 2:29 AM

No. You don't get super aggressive with it, but it helps take the coating off of new goggles and then a little spit or anti-fog and, at least in my experience, g2g. Repeat as necessary--shouldn't be too often.

Huh?? Coating is usually applied with a good reason, why would you want to remove that?

2013-05-14 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
MA

These work well for my husband who can't see without glasses on. He said they work awesome. They come in both clear and tinted lens color.

Tinted lenses help when you do ows or race into the sun which is often the case here in MA.

2013-05-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4741173

User image

Regular
LHOTP
erik.norgaard - 2013-05-14 2:36 AM

- don't care about whether you can see under water, there's nothing to see, no monsters coming to eat you. relax.

- do care about over water, and tinted goggles may make it easier to see, use different colours, for indoor, outdoor and different weather conditions, for outdoor you really want UV protection and possibly also polarized (haven't tried this).

Most goggles come with an anti-fog coating. This works by flattening the tiny drops that fog really is thus making them transparent. When you clean your goggles with your thumbs (or toothpaste!?) you rub this coating off.

As long as you avoid rubbing your goggles they will stay fog free for a good time. If they fog up, just rinse. I've long time had the habit of rubbing my goggles, and they'd be fog free for less than a month. Then last year I decided to not touch the lenses and my goggles remained fog free for 6+ months.

Eventually the coating is lost, in that case you may try to resort to the other tips mentioned here.

If you swim in the ocean make sure to rinse your goggles in clear water after each swim.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but you may consider using contacts, to have the full range of goggles available, and cheaper. And I guess it also makes transit faster.

Huh?? Coating is usually applied with a good reason, why would you want to remove that?

Disclaimer: I am not a real swimmer.  So whenever a real swimmer  (someone who's avatar includes goggles) gives me a "huh?" I start to think maybe I've said something galactically stupid :)

I had a couple of swimming friends tell me about it, and that's why I've done it.  But I did a quick google search, and at least I'm not the only one:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/378992-how-to-defog-swimming-goggles/

http://www.trails.com/how_8147_defog-swim-goggles.html

I don't know about the anti-fog coating on all goggles, with the TYR Nests the description says "embedded anti-fog" whatever that means. 

2013-05-14 7:21 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone!

2013-05-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4740638

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
jetsers - 2013-05-13 5:15 PM spit in them, it works great!
. Not entirely true.  Eventually in a short amount of time my Tyr's will fog up in the lap pool where I go.  Very frustrating.
2013-05-14 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4741173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
erik.norgaard - 2013-05-14 12:36 AM

Also a swimmer and another vote for NOT rubbing your goggle.  I have a terrible time getting goggles to fit.  I ended up using an AquaSphere mask for OWS and love them.  No leaks and no fogging for months.  In the pool I can wear them for 4000 yards without touching them.

2013-05-14 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I had the same problem.  I knew I needed some type of prescription on my goggle and ordered online through sites that offered goggles like TYR and Speedo with the scrip option.  

I tried a few different versions.  One fogged really badly while the other helped me see farther but also made my vision a little wonky defeating the purpose.  The scrip addition just seemed poor quality.

So I called my eye doctor who has an eyeglass salesperson in his office.  The eyeglass guy was able to order me goggles through this company's catalog, but it looks like you may be able to order right online.  If not, trying calling someone in your area who sells prescription eye wear.  These goggles are the best I've ever used for OWS sighting.

http://www.hilco.com/catalog/eyewear_goggles_main.asp

2013-05-14 12:53 PM

I wear Speedo Vanquisher opticals (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7789.htm) and use Jaws "Spit". I've never had a pair of goggles that won't fog up but since I've started using Spit or Defogger I've never had an issue. I like "Spit" better because it's faster to apply - you don't have to wipe and dry the lenses.
2013-05-14 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4741291

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
switch - 2013-05-14 2:00 PM
erik.norgaard - 2013-05-14 2:36 AM

Disclaimer: I am not a real swimmer.  So whenever a real swimmer  (someone who's avatar includes goggles) gives me a "huh?" I start to think maybe I've said something galactically stupid

I had a couple of swimming friends tell me about it, and that's why I've done it.  But I did a quick google search, and at least I'm not the only one:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/378992-how-to-defog-swimming-goggles/

http://www.trails.com/how_8147_defog-swim-goggles.html

I don't know about the anti-fog coating on all goggles, with the TYR Nests the description says "embedded anti-fog" whatever that means. 

I guess the toothpaste advice is a survivor from back in the days when anti-fog was a joke. I started swimming as a kid back in those days and grew the habit of rubbing the lenses between each set, trying spit and everything. 

Then last year I decided to control my thumbs and the coating actually works, and lasts if you can control your thumbs, rinse in clear water after use and don't wipe them dry.

Even the cheapest goggles come with some sort of anti-fog coating. There's no point in removing it, it will wear off eventually, but give it a try. Once it wears off, resort to the tips in this thread.

I think the toothpaste tip is useful if your goggles are very dirty, stained from salt water and greasy from sunscreen, and the coating is long gone. But IMO, by then they are FUBAR anyway.

2013-05-14 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4740672

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
morey000 - 2013-05-13 5:40 PM

$9

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22598.htm

the anti fog coating on the inside works for a month or two... or until you forget and wipe out the inside with a towel.  then it's toast.

no- spit doesn' t work all that well. but I have some anti-fog drops that do OK.  At least for 1/2 hour or so.

X2

I've used these, they work great.  They don't last long but at that price I find them almost disposable after a month of wear.

2013-05-14 2:13 PM

User image

Regular

+1 on the baby shampoo.  I got a little travel spray bottle at Wally-World, and filled it with 1/4 baby shampo, and the rest water.  Just a squirt in each lens and zero fogging issues for at least 2 hours (maybe more, but that's all the longer I've worn them)

Travel size bottle of baby shampoo = $1  (makes 4 bottles of anti fog)

travel spray bottle = $1

So for $2, you have enough anti fog to last you approximately 4 years!  (by my estimate of swimming 2x/week)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anti-fogging prescription goggles? Rss Feed