Concerns of Police Survivors
66F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 19m 17s
Overall Rank = 24/1598
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/103
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 6:30 and it was pouring rain outside. The rain started last night about 11:00 and it seemed like it never let up. Had some coffee and a bowl of cereal while I was contemplating if I even wanted to run the race. I'm not a 5K guy but I do this race every year to support the cause. I looked at the weather and it seemed like the rain was in clumps, as in there were blotches of yellow and orange on the radar but a lot of areas where there was nothing.

As if on cue the rain let up about 7:15 (I had to leave by 7:30 to keep my schedule), so I decided to man-up and just go do the race. I dove to my office and then headed to the race site.
Event warmup:

My parking lot is about 1.5 miles from the start so I geared up and took a nice easy jog to the race site. Once there I walked around for about 5 minutes to say hi to some folks and chat with some of my team members. Then I took off for some more easy jogging with some strides and 60 second bursts. Towed the line at 8:56 and the horn sounded promptly at 9:00, and we were off. Warm up was perfectly timed!
Run
  • 19m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

So I towed the line not really knowing what to expect. I ran 19:25 last year but I haven't really done a lot of focused speed work for 5Ks at all. My focus over the winter was marathon training so it was really all endurance stuff. I figued going in that I'd be happy with anything under 20, and would likely expect to be around 19:30.

The course changed a bit this year in that they removed a little piece in the middle where we ran down 9th street and and did a 180 turn before getting back on Penn Ave. This year they added the distance at the beginning and end, where we now basically round a city block going out and coming back. So the start and finish is a bit technical in that you take 3 pretty quick turns before you get on a straight stretch for a while.

The horn sounded and we were off. I just tried to get clear of the obviously slower runners in the first stretch and got good line on the first 3 turns so I got out pretty well. I needed to be mind full of my pace as you all know, its easy to go out way too fast. I was shooting for mile splits around 6:15 and at first look I was doing OK, but it seemed like the front pack was moving a bit too fast. By the time I settled in and hit the first mile mark I came in at 5:47. Oh oh, that's a bit too fast, I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in arse. Thankfully we have a few more quick corners as we round another city block, I should be able to ease up a bit here to get back on pace.

Rounding the corners I felt good I could notice that my pace was a bit slower and I wasn't "losing" anyone in front of me. The race had pretty well sorted itself out at this point and I was feeling pretty good. Running down Penn Ave was pretty open and you could pretty much see everyone in front of you. By my best guess the race was a bit more competitive this year, it seemed like I was farther back in the pack and the race leaders were further ahead. Mile 2 came in at 6:22 so I was pretty much back on pace but coming up to the 180 degree turn just past mile 2 my suspicions were confirmed. I counted 23 people in front of me and there were a good 3 or 4 folks that were pretty clear of the rest of us (all ended up finishing in 16:XX). Ahead of me was a group of 4 or 5 folks that were pretty well clustered not more than a few steps apart. This is what I figured my target would be, if I wanted to pick up a few places and go top 20 I needed to catch (and pass) this group. Only problem was that about 2.25 - 2.5 I started to get my infamous diaphragm cramp (I hate these things). This forced me to slow for a bit to try to work it out. My pace at this point had actually dropped to over 7 m/m... I was in trouble.

From about 2.5 to 2.75 the course went uphill back towards the finish, by the base of the hill my cramp had pretty much been put into check, but I was now more than a step or two off the group I was chasing. I figured my only hope was that someone (or everyone!) crashed on the hill. But it was not to be. I held pretty strong but so did everyone else, just past the top of the hill was mile 3, which came in at 6:54... that cramp really killed my time. Up ahead was the three quick turns to the finish and I just put everything I had into it and crossed the line at 19:17.

Ironically the group I was chasing all came in between 19:02 and 19:06. Had I been able to catch them on the flat I just might have been able to race for sub 19 in the final kick, but oh well I'm still happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit. Cheered some folks in at the finish line. Then an easy jog back to my truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The diaphragm cramp that started to come on at the 2 mile mark slowed me up some. The next minute or so working this out slowed my pace to over 7:00 m/m so this cost me some time, otherwise I really think I had a shot to go sub 19.

Last updated: 2013-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:17 | 03.11 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/103
Overall: 103/1598
Performance: Good
Mile 1 5:47. Mile 2 6:22. Mile 3 6:54. Mile .1 0:14 HR Average 182, Max 188
Course: The course is essentially an out and back from the National Law Enforcement Officer's memorial. It runs by the Capitol and a couple of Smithsonian museums, up Penn. Ave to the FBI building and then back to the NLEO memorial. The start and finish is a bit "technical" in that you round a block so its 3 quick left turns at the start and 3 quick right turns at the finish. This part also had a little down/up hill right after/before the start/finish. The rest of the way pretty flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-14 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: National Police Week 5k

2013-05-14 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4741813

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: National Police Week 5k
Nice time, congrats!
2013-05-15 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great Race and thanks for doing it to support the NLEOM! I was down there this week but came into town sunday since I was riding in the Police Unity Tour. I would love to do the 5k one year.
2013-05-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4743458

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Hope the ride was good!  I just got back from the memorial service on the West Front of the Capitol.
2013-05-15 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Oh nice. Unfortunately I had to come back to work today so I couldn't make it but I was there for the Vigil on Monday night and the Police Unity Tour Ceremony on Sunday. I have never been able to make it to the Capitol ceremony, maybe one day soon.
2013-05-15 6:39 PM

User image

As a police officer stuck in North Idaho, I thank you for supporting the cause. Excellent time, congrats! You folk in DC are lucky to have the Unity Tour and those other events over there.

2013-05-15 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4744463

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

AndyEWU07 - 2013-05-15 7:39 PM As a police officer stuck in North Idaho, I thank you for supporting the cause. Excellent time, congrats! You folk in DC are lucky to have the Unity Tour and those other events over there.

Check into the Unity Tour out in Idaho. I know there is a chapter in California that came out so you might be able to join up with them. My Chapter was out of Delaware and we had people from Florida, Missouri & Michigan riding with us. It might involve some travel but it is doable and the experience is like nothing I have ever done before.

2013-05-16 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4744463

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

AndyEWU07 - 2013-05-15 7:39 PM As a police officer stuck in North Idaho, I thank you for supporting the cause. Excellent time, congrats! You folk in DC are lucky to have the Unity Tour and those other events over there.

Thanks for your service.  Not sure what your agency is like, but I was talking to some of the troopers from North Dakota at the Memorial Service and they were saying how at times you could be the only trooper on duty for hundreds of miles.  I figure some gigs out your way must be the same... tough to imagine.  Around here, especially in DC itself, it seem like you can't turn around without seeing a badge.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Police Week 5k Rss Feed