Penticton Triathlon Club
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 52s
Overall Rank = 74/75
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

The race start was 2:00pm so after an early lunch I relaxed until it was time to go. The start was only 1Km from home so we just walked our bikes over and got set up in transition.
The race is small but the competitors are pretty serious and included some Pro-triathletes and Olympic athletes.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. The weather was quite hot with the sun up high so most people including myself just kept cool, relaxed and calm.
Run
  • 32m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I held myself back a bit at the start not wanting to start out too fast. It didn't make much difference as I was soon near to last. I felt pretty comfortable and wound up running a decent time for me.
What would you do differently?:

At this point I was doing pretty much as I had expected so I was fine but I also was realizing this was a lot harder than I had anticipated.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

It didn't take long to switch shoes and put on the helmet and grab the bike and run to the mount line. There weren't many bikes left either.

Nothing, it all flowed pretty smoothly.
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 33.8 kms
  • 22.53 km/hr
Comments:

As I head out on the ride I turned south into a nasty headwind. No one else appeared to be too bothered by the headwind. So I had to just get on with it. There weren't many people behind me so I didn't get passed much and as I reached about 10K out on a 33K ride I saw the leaders on their way back already.
I made it up the 1st hill without any trouble and on the descent I hit 48kph/30mph. Not really fast but it runs alongside a cliff and a drop down to the lake that always makes me ride to the centre of the road - I just can't bare to ride too close to the edge.
Soon after that I reached Okanagan Falls and turned east and started climbing the back side of the McLean Creek Rd. The climb was going well and I even passed a few other riders (thats a first for me). As I'm nearing the crest I start talking to two ladies and it turns out one of the ladies is riding in her very 1st event and this is only her 3rd ride on her bike!! I've got to get faster on the bike.
The ladies were struggling a bit so as we crested the hill I told them we'd passed the worst of the bike ride and it was all downhill with a tailwind from here (with minor exceptions I was right).
I soon reached the top of the big descent, a 3K fast downhill on very rough road that is just barely better than gravel. From the top I pedaled hard as long as the road was fairly smooth then I hit the steep and rough part so I just let go and picked out a line as best I could hitting 63kph/39mph on the way down and as soon as I could I started pedalling hard again for the last kilometre and then turned north for the last leg back along the lake again.
This time I had a good tailwind and I made good time on the return even making up some of the time that I lost riding into the headwind. As I neared the end of the ride there was a long climb that I usually struggle with but this time I can't even remember riding up it and before I realized it I was turning into the transition area. I was able to dismount at the line and move quickly to my transition area.

I really need to get stronger and faster at climbing hills. I can manage fairly well on the flats but I'm too slow on the climbs and descents.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

It was really easy to switch shoes and helmet. I even took time to take a long guzzle of a gatorade.
Run
  • 42m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

To this point I was already well in the back of the pack but this is where I really fell apart. I started running but I quickly realized I had nothing left so I started walk/run. I probably walked half the last 5K and was really beat.
I toughed it out alone through the 1st 4K but then I found myself running with two ladies and we were supporting each other and keeping going, mostly walking a little running then a friend came back to encourage me and I got going again. I was laughing at myself and how hard it felt to keep going. The lady to my left found it in herself to get going but the lady to my right couldn't so I called her to come with me. I took her hand and we ran (sooo slowly) together and the one lady finished just ahead of us and then the lady I was leading and I crossed the finish line. Steve King of Ironman Canada fame announced us the last runners of the day.

I clearly was poorly prepared for the race and completely underestimated how hard it is to run/bike/run. For next year I'll train more and definitely include some bike/run bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

As I crossed the finish line the lady who crossed just ahead of me came back and double high-fived me which was a great way to finish then I found my wife and she gave me a chair to sit on. Immediately a little girl came running up to me with a COLD cup of water and it sure went down good. Three cups of water and two orange wedges later I felt better but I was really wiped out. I had to get my wife to drive me home and I couldn't do much of anything for a couple hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure how much of a factor the heat was but I should've been better prepared for this event. I'm planning to return next year and I'll beat 2:30.

Last updated: 2013-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:34 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Average
Course: A two-loop run that started out downhill then turned uphill on the return half.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:30:00 | 33.8 kms | 22.53 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out along Skaha Lake to Okanagan Falls then around a loop and back to the start. The route includes two good hill climbs and two good descents. The one big decent is on very rough roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 63
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:55 | 03.11 miles | 13m 48s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Same as above for the first run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?