Ultramax
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 02m 40s
Overall Rank = 89/314
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/29
Pre-race routine:

Camped at race site and had the alarm set for 4:45 am. It ended up being a much shorter rest period as planned due to thunderstorms. I got up to pee about 11:00 pm and looked at the radar on my phone which showed a big line of thunderstorms headed towards us. I lied awake in bed until the storms hit about 11:45 at which time our friends who were in a tent next to us wrapped on our camper door and slept with us. I'm not sure when I actually fell asleep, but 4:45 came very early. Made some coffee and ate two pancakes with peanutbutter.
Event warmup:

Still raining and lightning at race time. Walked around transition with my wetsuit on to stay warm and sipped on a bike bottle of GenUcan. Race start delayed for weather. Although the lake was swimmable, the lightning in the area made it too dangerous and the swim was understandibly cancelled. A timely decision by the RD gave us enough time to still get the bike and run in without going over the contracted time with local law enforcement/EMS. So not much of a warmup other than walking around in the wetsuit. Everything else was drenched.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Cancelled
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 15m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

One bike bottle with water and RedBull. I only drank half of it as it was a cool/wet day. Left hammy started cramping a little coming back into the park and I had visions of last year's 70.3 race where I had to stop and massage my legs every few minutes for cramping. Luckily it worked itself out and I got back into transition without incident. I saw quite a few people on the course who had flatted. I figured because of debris washed onto the road surface from the storm.
What would you do differently?:

I was hoping for a 20 mph average and ended up at 19.7, pretty close. I sometimes wish I had a power meter on my bike, but I think I got pretty close to my goal, and am in tune with my body using my RPE.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Ran past my designated transition spot and lost a couple of seconds. Everything soaked made it a little bit harder to get into running shoes, but everybody's in the same boat so to speak.

Pay better attention to transition numbers.
Run
  • 45m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't too worried about running up the hill as I'm fairly adept at running hills. I just didn't want to red line my heart rate too much going up. I think I was more worried about how my knees would feel coming back down, but no problems there. The sun had come out during the run and it started to get muggy and warm. The last 2 miles of the run I ran with a guy at least 10-15 years younger than me. I tried to lose him a couple of times, but he held on tight. I enjoyed the battle and we came down the hill to the finish neck and neck. I tried to hold him off, but in the end he took me by a second or two. He came over to me and thanked me for the battle and a good run. We shook hands and I thanked him too, it was fun. I wish I could remember his bib number.

I might have pushed it a little harder on the first 5K as I never really felt taxed. The engine felt great, but the legs were a bit weak.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water and walked over to see my kids and wait on my wife and other friends to finish. There was pizza at the finish, but for the first time ever, I passed on post race food. The GenUcan really works. I've never had a problem with it and it gives my plenty of energy for an olympic distance race. It was a good hour to hour and a half before I got back to my campsite and fixed a roast beef sandwich for lunch, had some yummy watermelon and coconut water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It would have been nice to have gotten more rest the night before. I don't really know how much that affected my performance.
My goal for this race was to qualify for the 5150 championship which I did. I was secretly hoping for a top 5 finish to get the free entry, but I'm pleased with 9th.

Event comments:

Well run race by a very experience RD. Not a lot of frills, cheap T-shirts and a cheap short bike bottle in packet. I would have rather had one nice shirt and no bike bottle. Pizza only at the end of the race, could have offered a little more choices.
The right call was made as to cancelling the swim and starting the race when we did.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/314
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:41 | 24.85 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling hills. Nothing new as I've ridden this course twice before in the IM 70.3 events. Forgot about the rumble strips prior to the stop sign/right hand turn I wish I would have avoided. Time trial start which was kind of neat, one rider went out about every 3 seconds. I started near the beginning of the line. You never really know where you are in relation to other racers because of the TT start. It was fun. Still raining at bike start, course was wet and windy with the usual head wind on the way out, tail back. A few strong gusts, but manageable. A little worried as I hit 40 mph on one of the hills with wet conditions, but hey, it's a race right?
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:58 | 06.21 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two 5K loops through the campgrounds and up the hill twice so I wasn't planning on having a 10K PR (which I didn't). I went out as planned and took the first 5K fairly easy getting my legs under me and into rhythm. I did negative split my run, but maybe took it a little too easy on my first lap. 2nd 5K at 22:36 according to my watch, so a little under a minute difference between the two. I kept a small fuel belt bottle in my hand with water only and used the aid station water to poor over my head.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes