General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need some help with fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-14 1:23 PM

Subject: I need some help with fit
Hello,

I ve been working and working on the bike fit for sometime now. What I need to do is get a professional fit done but thats not practical for me right now.

Anyhows, I am having pain in my buttocks and my knee. I hope I can describe this with the right words.

When I am aero I have muscle pain in each side of my buttocks. The pain is in the middle of the buttock. When I sit up it goes away. Is this hip flexor? Right now my bars are 7.5 cm below the seat. Do I need to bring up the bars .

And the knee hurts in the front at the bottom part of the knee cap.

Thanks for your help!

Gall

2006-07-14 1:51 PM
in reply to: #482948

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
Subject: RE: I need some help with fit
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm no triathalon or cycling pro... I think you should definately take it to a bike shop and have someone there fit it for you, a lot of times they don't even charge, and if they did it probably wouldn't be too much. The reason I say this is they do all kinds of stuff... they whip out plumb bobs, and rulers, they look at everything. I'm positive I couldn't of come close to properly fitting my own bike. I figure paying a small amount for a fit is better than injuring myself in the long run.
Hope this helps.
2006-07-14 1:57 PM

User image

Giver
Yes...it sounds like your hip flexors are too tight, and raising your bars up a bit should help. As your flexibility inproves, you should be able to drop them gradually.
2006-07-14 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

I agree, have a professional fit you.

That being said, I played around with my bike fit for a while before I decided to shell out the $50 for the "pro" fitting. My fitting took approx 15 mins, he raised my seat about half inch, and spread out my aerobars about a quarter inch on each side. That was it. Nothing he did was too noticeable in my ride.

I think the discomfort you are feeling could be caused by lack of time spent in aero position. I know I had to spend some time getting used to it, even after my fit. With more time spent aero, I think you'll find that position will get more and more comfortable.... aka: Ride lots - The Bear.

2006-07-14 3:26 PM

Hello again,

I m riding a 78 deg. bike with the saddle set up in the middle of the rails on a Flite saddle.

Would having my saddle not "up" far enough have anything to do with the Hip Flexors?

Thanks
2006-07-14 3:38 PM
in reply to: #483096

User image

Master
Madison, WI
I know nothing about bike fit. I DO know that the pain you're describing (hip and knee) could both be explained by IT band issues - it runs from your hip to your knee. It's not really something you want to mess with, because if you let it go you could end up with bursitis in your hip and a long road of physical therapy.

Pay the $50 and get your bike fit by someone who is actually physically there with you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need some help with fit Rss Feed