General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart related problems due to endurance sports? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-25 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: Heart related problems due to endurance sports?
A friend posted this on FB today, article about heart related issues linked to extreme endurance sports.

Thought it might be an interesting read...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10...

2013-05-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Heart related problems due to endurance sports?

Thanks for posting. 

Can anyone explain to me why it's the RV that has the overload with "extreme endurance activity"? That's not what I would have expected.  Cardiologists in the house? Here's the original journal article referenced:http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/8/998.full.pdf+html 

We had a grad student from our department drop dead after a run last week.  Waiting on autopsy results.  Lost another guy (long time runner) three years ago, similar deal.  Both guys were long time runners and very fit.

I haven't ever had a cardiac stress test, but I am thinking I might do this, just for a little peace of mind. 

2013-05-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Interesting read. I will be forwarding it. My husband has this and has had since what they said was the realitively young age of 50. He isn't an endurance athelte by any stretch but we do think that he has had this since he was young but combined with age and we think catching a flu he ended up in the CCU. We have noticed and been told that it is something that is just checked for more now so the more instances could just be related to knowledge. Of course I do acknowledge that putting that stress on your body might have speed up his finding out. They also call this "holiday heart" which people get from too much "partaking" on vacation. The heart usually goes back to normal on its own.

Although much to the chagrin of the man of the house because of his medication he is banned from the Olympics. And really I wouldn't trust anything coming from the NZ herald (i am from NZ)
2013-05-25 3:31 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
The article doesn't seem to conclude anything but "we don't have enough empirical evidence". They're calling for more research, which is great, but so far there's only "might", "probably" etc.

That being said, there's a reason we call it extreme sport. Everyone doing an ironman knows that if you want to be healthy you do 5k 4 times a week. If you want to challenge yourself mentally and physically you do an ironman, or ultra marathon or whatever.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart related problems due to endurance sports? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

List of endurance-related documentaries

Started by Dnn
Views: 12660 Posts: 15

2013-04-11 9:24 AM donw

Endurance sports bad for heart?

Started by ImSore
Views: 3057 Posts: 17

2012-12-05 4:11 PM jbrookscga78

Recent patents issued related to triathlon (sports) technology

Started by Donto
Views: 996 Posts: 2

2012-05-17 6:55 PM wbattaile

Carbonation & how it relates to aerobic endurance?

Started by duder5189
Views: 5845 Posts: 21

2011-08-04 11:36 AM Tom Demerly.

How does heart rate related to pace...

Started by SKIKIPP
Views: 991 Posts: 6

2010-06-29 10:23 AM JorgeM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : May 24, 2011
What could be causing pain and soreness in my tailbone?
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : July 9, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
Trixie speaks of how she made her way into endurance sports and also gives some interesting insight on common runner's mistakes.
date : March 6, 2008
author : Diane1961
As triathlon gains in popularity, there will be more athletes like me: never participated in competitive sports, minimal race experience, and only recently taken up endurance sports.

date : November 4, 2007
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?